Diablo III Hands On

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
I think the most shocking thing I've gleaned from this whole thing is that there are apparently MANY more "hardcore gamers" (or hardcore enough to complain about an upcoming feature of an unreleased game on a videogame blog/forum) that played Diablo 2 and want to play Diablo 3 singleplayer/offline.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
seditary said:
Just putting some actual info into this thread because there's a lack of it so far.

By level 30, you will be able to choose 6 active skills (out of around 20ish) and 3 passive skills out of 15. (unknown if you will learn all the skills by level 30) As well as runes on each skill, of which there are 5 different types and 7 levels per rune (which go all the way up to hell difficulty). Those runes can completely change the effects of skills. There are more possible (and viable) character builds in Diablo 3 than Diablo 2 and that's a fact. People can ***** all they like, and hell they do, but its all bullshit.
Where's this info from?

I'd be interested in having some elaboration to the whole "Those runes can completely change the effects of skills" thing.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Those who whine about lack of skill variety probably has not heard of Hammerdins.

D2 has a lot of skills per class, but there are just some "useless" skills that are not worth getting (point in them because they're prerequisites). Still holding out judgement on this one. Hope they deliver on the "all skills are viable" promise.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
One the one hand, I am extremely dubious at the long Dev Time for D3, and I even wonder at its relevance in a post-WoW world. I am very worried the DN:F phenomenon is going to occur, and that the only thing that would draw me to it would be the nostalgia of a game I had been playing from the first installment when my facial hair was beginning to thicken.

On the other hand...it IS Blizzard, and they have proven that if there's one horse in the stable that you can bet on to not miss, it's them. Although I have to admit that I didn't enjoy SC2 as ravenously as the original, I still think they can pull it off.

P.S.

Although the randomization has ALWAYS been a nice thing about D2, I see you mentioned a teleport from town to your fellows in an encounter...and I choose the word fellows as it seems D3 will be taking a few notes from LotRO, my favorite MMO through a tough process of distillation. Well done, D3, well done. Let's see what else ya got.

BirdieARPG

Aug 3, 2011
Good thing we have Path of Exile to look forward to. Closed beta starts 10th august AWW YEAH. Don't think I'll buy diablo 3 now that there's RLMAH and rainbows, as there's grim dawn and path of exile as better alternatives.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
This shinning review just makes it sadder that they basically handing over the economy of the game over to RMT groups.

There is a lot of great games on the horizon and Diablo 3 won't be getting my money if the RMAH is implemented.

I'm simply not willing to play a game in which anyone can use real world currency to buy an advantage.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Olrod said:
I'd be interested in having some elaboration to the whole "Those runes can completely change the effects of skills" thing.
Here's a video to explain how they work:
Basically, you equip runestones to the skills themselves, and it alters the skill. The runestones have varying levels, which in turn will alter the skill more and presumably make it more powerful.

OT: I'd rather not have the "always on DRM", but I guess I can always run through the SP online by my self. I'll be doing at least one play through for the story itself. Then it's on to character test builds, gear gathering, and PvP.

Oh, Diablo, you addictive bastard.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
animehermit said:
It won't be getting my money either, and the RMAH is not the only reason. The always on DRM, and the fact that no mods will be in the game. It's nice to know that Blizzard likes to ignore one of the very things that made D2 last so long.
Not to mention that they are pretty much forsaking PvP too.

Not balancing PvP is bad enough, but allowing people to buy gear with real currency and then use it in PvP is downright ridiculous.

BirdieARPG said:
Good thing we have Path of Exile to look forward to. Closed beta starts 10th august AWW YEAH. Don't think I'll buy diablo 3 now that there's RLMAH and rainbows, as there's grim dawn and path of exile as better alternatives.
Here's their producer's stand on buying items with real world currency:

Chris Wilson - ?We won?t be selling any form of power in the game, only aesthetic improvements, so if you?re fighting someone you know they earned their place the hard way.?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Personally, as a WOW player, I kinda wish Blizzard had started to sell gold themselves a long time ago, as I'm sick of the badly spelled scam whispers, emails, websites and spammy messages in the cities of the game.

However, I can foresee one big problem.

Anyone who's played WOW or even more so, diablo 2, knows there's a fairly sizable proportion of the player base who's more than happy to screw over an entire group after a few hours play just to steal an item they don't really need.

How much worse is this going to be if it's worth $10 or more? how often are you going to see an epic drop, know it's worth about $150 at the Auction House and see the whole group going 'no, no, you take it, I don't need it, it doesn't suit my class or playstyle'.

I just foresee it getting a lot harder to be the nice guy, hen it's costing you real money each time.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
I'll play the game first (I am bound to know someone who will buy it) and then decide. I did the same thing with Diablo 1 and 2 so it should work out fine for me.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Just gonna put this out there, but pretty much everyone who wants D3 should be getting Torchlight 2 instead. LAN play, crazy high co-op numbers, no stupid DRM. It will basically be more Diablo than Diablo.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
SenseOfTumour said:
Personally, as a WOW player, I kinda wish Blizzard had started to sell gold themselves a long time ago, as I'm sick of the badly spelled scam whispers, emails, websites and spammy messages in the cities of the game.

However, I can foresee one big problem.

Anyone who's played WOW or even more so, diablo 2, knows there's a fairly sizable proportion of the player base who's more than happy to screw over an entire group after a few hours play just to steal an item they don't really need.

How much worse is this going to be if it's worth $10 or more? how often are you going to see an epic drop, know it's worth about $150 at the Auction House and see the whole group going 'no, no, you take it, I don't need it, it doesn't suit my class or playstyle'.

I just foresee it getting a lot harder to be the nice guy, hen it's costing you real money each time.
You only see the loot you can take. As in its yours, noone else can see or take the loot you see drop.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Ah yes, the perfect cash printing machine - Diablo 3. Real cash fee for putting an item on Auction House, real cash transaction fee for selling the item and real cash fee for cashing out once you gather a nice sum. Hurray.

The advertised PvP aspect of the game? Well, it just went to hell and snug itself between devils buttcheeks. You can't have competitive PvP if You "buy power" through RMT. Diablo is not and never was a game of skill, it's game of gear. Want to win in PvP - shell out few hundreds bucks. Hurray.

Playing for enjoyment? Sucks to be You. Because everyone and their stuffed hamster will be just playing for items they hope to sell. Voluntary slave labour to make Blizzard more money, plus a big "welcome" sign for all the Asian gold-farming companies. After all the AH even allows for selling/buying in game gold. Hurray.

Then again, the dream of many rabid fanbois will come true, after all they will all be "working' for Blizzard, grinding their butts of trying to get a sweet epix for sale. Win-win isn't it?

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Xzi said:
cursedseishi said:
Xzi said:
Every time Snu Snu leveled up she gained access to skills like "Cleave" and "Ground Stomp." Soon I had four or five different abilities, but only three slots to equip them in.
Oh god. Oh god. I think I'm going to be sick.

Clarify please. For the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you don't just automatically acquire all the skills and spells for your class as you level up. And if so, please tell me that you at least gain ranks in each of these skills/spells to grow them in power the more you use them (ala Morrowind).

And please, please don't tell me that this isn't the case, and that all of the characters of the same class will end up exactly the same at end-game save for some simple rune choices. I might just burn down an orphanage.
Yep, classes just gain skills on level up, no powerups or anything besides the "rune" system. The skill tree wasn't complicated, it wasn't hard to understand, Blizzard is just serving the lowest denominator of IQ.
Which is why they removed the ability for Witch Doctors to interact with their summonable minions with spells, because the people who wouldn't give a rats arse about it and wouldn't use it anyways, wouldn't immediately catch onto it. Never mind the fact that they could of put that functionality into the skill description, hell that's what they are doing in WoW now. Because clearly "Heal" needs to be clarified as a spell you use to heal people.
Christ sake. Hold on a second while I go get a barf bucket.

Okay, back. Well, guess it's time to pre-order Torchlight 2 then. I can't believe I had any faith left in Blizzard after they were acquired by Activision. All of my favorite developers are fast circling the drain thanks to these mega-publishers. The soul of the gaming industry is being mercilessly ripped out. :mad:

"Sucked in" my ass. Diablo 2 sucked me in because there was some depth there, along with all the stuff that supposedly makes Diablo 3 great.
Blizzard functions separately from Activision. Any and all decisions relating to the game's design is solely on Blizzard's part.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
The change to character customization blows, big time. The difference in skill effects based on runes (as seen in the rune video) is not large enough to re-roll a character (heck you can switch runes at will anyway) and it takes away a HUGE part of the game for those of us who liked playing through it as different characters and builds.

There were not just a few viable builds in D2....there were a ton!! I personally came up with a few unique (when I came up with them) builds like the hybrid trap/kicker assassin etc, and the number of fun builds that could make it through the game was quite large. I played for thousands of hours building different characters and rarely if ever bothered with PvP.

D3 seems to be taking almost any reason to replay a character class over again out of the game. Basically get a character to max level and you'll have the skills but will just have to choose which ones you have active, and what runes you'll use....all of which can be changed at will in game. No reason to ever make two different witch doctors for instance. 1 character of each class is all you'll ever need which DRASTICALLY reduces the longevity of the game. Even pvp involved trying different builds and setups in D2. Perhaps equipment might give some incentive to keep playing but it shifts the focus from building characters and trying new combo's to just looking for loot.

I LOVED the character customization in d2. Heck almost every skill could be used as a primary means of killing, or at least used through normal and nightmare difficulty. I finished Nightmare with ravens as my main method of killing for instance, with inferno etc etc. That was a large part of the fun in d2 for me, getting each of the skills to be as effective as possible and attempting to go as far as possible using it as a primary method of killing.

I really, really hope they don't ruin d3 by taking out all the customization. It's not WoW....a game that to me is pointless because your just following the exact same path as thousands of others before you. I enjoyed finding my own path in D2, creating my own set of powers and augmenting them with equipment etc. Don't take away my choices or I'll feel like I'm just walking through a game and will have almost no reason to replay it (just once as each character type basically). You'll make the game go from entertaining me for thousands of hours to probably less then 100....and I will be very very sad.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Did I just read a commercial - normally I change the channel when commercials come up in the TV...

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
I have a very simple rule when it comes to buying games that have controversial features: does it effect my enjoyment of the game? My computer is always connected to the internet, the auction house is completely optional and i've never liked D2's PvP (Diablo has always been a co-op multiplayer game to me) so other players purchasing items for real money doesn't effect me at all. So far, there is nothing negative that will stop me from enjoying the game just as much as if they weren't there. (not that i'm saying PvP players and people without access to the internet at all times shouldn't be upset)

After reading this, i'm more excited to play this then ever. Please, Blizzard, just hurry up and release it! (although not too close to Skyrim, or I think my friends and family might miss me after I don't leave the house for a few months.)

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
Xzi said:
cursedseishi said:
Xzi said:
Every time Snu Snu leveled up she gained access to skills like "Cleave" and "Ground Stomp." Soon I had four or five different abilities, but only three slots to equip them in.
Oh god. Oh god. I think I'm going to be sick.

Clarify please. For the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you don't just automatically acquire all the skills and spells for your class as you level up. And if so, please tell me that you at least gain ranks in each of these skills/spells to grow them in power the more you use them (ala Morrowind).

And please, please don't tell me that this isn't the case, and that all of the characters of the same class will end up exactly the same at end-game save for some simple rune choices. I might just burn down an orphanage.
Yep, classes just gain skills on level up, no powerups or anything besides the "rune" system. The skill tree wasn't complicated, it wasn't hard to understand, Blizzard is just serving the lowest denominator of IQ.
Which is why they removed the ability for Witch Doctors to interact with their summonable minions with spells, because the people who wouldn't give a rats arse about it and wouldn't use it anyways, wouldn't immediately catch onto it. Never mind the fact that they could of put that functionality into the skill description, hell that's what they are doing in WoW now. Because clearly "Heal" needs to be clarified as a spell you use to heal people.
Christ sake. Hold on a second while I go get a barf bucket.

Okay, back. Well, guess it's time to pre-order Torchlight 2 then. I can't believe I had any faith left in Blizzard after they were acquired by Activision. All of my favorite developers are fast circling the drain thanks to these mega-publishers. The soul of the gaming industry is being mercilessly ripped out. :mad:

"Sucked in" my ass. Diablo 2 sucked me in because there was some depth there, along with all the stuff that supposedly makes Diablo 3 great.
Sigh... Did ANY of you read/listen to any of the reasons why they did it?