Diablo III Has Single Player Online

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Diablo III Has Single Player Online

Shamus shares his thoughts on the Diablo III beta.

Read Full Article

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I already have enough crap to up with trying to get games to work on Steam. Any more lame attempts to introduce drag SP games kicking and screaming onto the interblag for arbitrary reasons will be met by me with scorn and contempt.

Diablo III can suck big sweaty ones.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I'm sorry, having to make a separate character to play online is not so much of a fucking inconvenience that I would give up all that other stuff. No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?! I can't believe a company like Blizzard was the first one to make such a horrendous dick move. This is total bullshit from the ground up, period. The online features like the auction house and cheat prevention should be optional. I should be able to play without an Internet connection, pause the damn thing, and mod the ever living fuck out of my game if it's single player. End of discussion. I can't believe the justification going around for this shit. It makes me furious. Fuck you, Blizzard. You used to be cool.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You Can't Pause the Game

There really is no way to quickly suspend the on-screen action. Did the phone ring during a boss fight? Did one of your kids fall in the middle of a dungeon crawl? Did the smoke alarm go off? Someone at the door? Spill hot coffee all over your desk? Having a bathroom emergency? Does the pet need to be let out? Did your significant other just storm into the room with something urgent? Well, you can either be irresponsible or you can let your character die.

This doesn't encourage healthy gaming habits, and it means you should probably choose a different game if you think you might be interrupted.
Well, in that case, I can only conclude that like From Software, the people making Diablo 3 are completely incompetent. After Demon's Souls, no pause button for single player (even if you want me to be online) = no buy. Pausing is something we mastered in the 1980's, and if you can't handle today, screw you and screw your game.

Dorkmaster Flek said:
No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?! I can't believe a company like Blizzard was the first one to make such a horrendous dick move.
You clearly never played Demon's Souls.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I recall a news thread on here a while back with a quote from blizzard to the effect of "If your play diable offline single player, then your playing the game wrong." I don't think making it online only does anything more than try to encourage people who would be doing offline to use the auction house.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Dorkmaster Flek said:
No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?!
Dark Souls does that too. But the game itself and its developer From Software are pretty clear and honest from the get go that they hate you and everything you stand for. I don't know why Blizz can't do the same if they're going to act like this.

And you can play the game offline so... Yeah. Normally I try not to use extreme language for something like a video game but Blizzard can bite me. I used to find their lack of innovation replaced with sheer polish charming and fun, now they're just trying to piss me off. A sad fate for an old friend.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Damn you already beat me to it. Was going to say at this rate Diablo 3 is looking to be a Dark Souls dungeon crawler whos single purpose is to piss you off in every possible way. Not sure why they would cut out so much to implement a single thing that I doubt a ton of people wanted/needed to keep playing the Diablo franchise.

Drinking too much Dr Pepper during your journey that you now have to rush to the bathroom for relief? Too bad the giant cyclops cares not for your grief.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
MisterShine said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?!
Dark Souls does that too. But the game itself and its developer From Software are pretty clear and honest from the get go that they hate you and everything you stand for. I don't know why Blizz can't do the same if they're going to act like this.

And you can play the game offline so... Yeah. Normally I try not to use extreme language for something like a video game but Blizzard can bite me. I used to find their lack of innovation replaced with sheer polish charming and fun, now they're just trying to piss me off. A sad fate for an old friend.
Yeah but Dark Souls is a complete masoquistic game. From Software basically said " you fuckers are getting soft with these new games. eat shit n die now"

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Dorkmaster Flek said:
I'm sorry, having to make a separate character to play online is not so much of a fucking inconvenience that I would give up all that other stuff. No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?! I can't believe a company like Blizzard was the first one to make such a horrendous dick move. This is total bullshit from the ground up, period. The online features like the auction house and cheat prevention should be optional. I should be able to play without an Internet connection, pause the damn thing, and mod the ever living fuck out of my game if it's single player. End of discussion. I can't believe the justification going around for this shit. It makes me furious. Fuck you, Blizzard. You used to be cool.
Yeah, the lack of pausing in single player is a huge negative smear that actually sticks to my thoughts of Diablo 3.

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
I see Blizzard is really trying their hardest to prevent exploits from Diablo 2, for an example pausing and existing the game in hardcore mode to prevent a death. =)

I don't know what to say about this, I've never been an hardcore player at any game so I would love to see a pause function in Diablo 3, they can just remove pause in hardcore mode and make everyone happy.

Davih

May 7, 2011
You can't pause? WTF, that's just silly. And my internet is shit most of the time, so this game definitely won't be on my "to Buy" list.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
You can in a way pause in dark souls and demon souls though....by exiting the game. It saves your current location etc when you do that. Yes...it takes a bit more time then just hitting start to pause the game...but the point is you can take a break if you need to without loosing much if anything.

I'm playing Dark souls to death right now and many times I've had to quickly quick out of the game to do something. I come back, reload and i'm right where I left off.

If d3 does that.....it won't be so bad to not have a pause button. If they keep the system like in D2 where everything resets when you quit out...and you start back at the last waypoint or something.....then that is really going to suck for us married players who are interupted all the time when playing.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
If Shamus, an American, complains about lag, then me as an Australian will surely get screwed over. 400ms+ in WoW is atrocious for PvP, Hardcore will be a whole new level for anyone not domestic to the US.

In WoW, it is hilarious seeing a monster hit you from 10m+ away, and I don't doubt they have used the system again, god damnit.

Oh well, I guess I'll see how laggy it is first, as I've just started getting into Fallen Earth, and I am absolutely loathing the pay to win mentality blizzard wants its cut on (without reducing the price of the game either).

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
Single player online? But then I'd be playing the game wrong and I don't want offend the Blizzard overlords who clearly dictate how I should play my games. No pause function is absolutely rubbish as well.

I was pretty excited for Diablo III a while back but I can easily skip it because there is a vast ocean of games out there and in the making so that I don't need to support these stupid decisions.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
I've already contacted Blizzard and told them that, despite my love of Diablo 2 and my previous WoW subscription demonstrating the (mostly) reliable nature of my internet connection, an online requirement for the single player version of Diablo 3 was a deal breaker. I guess that means I don't have to send them another message to mention these three other deal breakers (lack of modding doesn't bother me personally - though I can see the value it may have for others).

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Waah Waah. People just need something to QQ about. I have to go on this internet thing to play my game? But I'm scared and overwhelmed! Get with the times grandpa! If you don't like it go make a better game.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
wulfy42 said:
If d3 does that.....it won't be so bad to not have a pause button. If they keep the system like in D2 where everything resets when you quit out...and you start back at the last waypoint or something.....then that is really going to suck for us married players who are interupted all the time when playing.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun reported that no, it does not work like that. You lose all your progress through the dungeons since the last checkpoint, and according to them checkpoints are NOT that frequent.

So yes, it sucks for us partnered people. Plus those of us who just rarely spend any of their gaming time sitting there doing nothing but play a single game.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
XinfiniteX said:
Waah Waah. People just need something to QQ about. I have to go on this internet thing to play my game? But I'm scared and overwhelmed! Get with the times grandpa! If you don't like it go make a better game.
Just to be clear, that means you give up the right to ever complain about anything unless you ever do anything better.

Sure you wanna say that, mi amigo?

OT: Honestly, I'm not buying the game. Mostly, 'tis because I'm not a PC gamer.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Well, I already wasn't thrilled about this, but these put the final nail in the coffin.

I'll grab Torchlight 2 if I really want a dungeon crawl.