Diablo III Patch Prevents Players From Gaining XP

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
This is a below standard release and handling of a game overall and will be remembered as such at the end of this year I'm sure. Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game, at least this year. This is pretty bad overall.
I don't know that Diablo III can be summed up any better than this. I constantly wonder if people are taking D3 in a vacuum or something -- these are the same people that produce World of Warcraft, a game that is actually an MMO, not a maximum four player game that got shrunk down from an MMO, and it is riddled with bugs, errors, and poor design choices.

Blizzard should be able to do better than what they have provided with regards to this particular title. Maybe the D3 devs should talk with the WoW people about auction house design, skill management and maintenance (there's no lock button at time of writing to prevent skills from being dropped off the hotbar in elective mode), patching (the patch completely reset all of my settings -- my graphics card likes to overheat when D3 runs at what it considers normal, causing my machine to power down), communicating with the playerbase (there's a blue post about how poorly the hotfixes were being shared with us end users), and the like.

My feeling, after writing the previous paragraph, is that Diablo III was handed off to the Blizzard B team, or even C team. Maybe to Gary's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1973-Gary] team?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
LMAO and here I thought bethsida was bad at patching when they "broke" the dragons flight AI in skyrim

but breaking the leveling/xp system that just takes the cake what next a patch that breaks the entire game

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
chickenhound said:
LMAO and here I thought bethsida was bad at patching when they "broke" the dragons flight AI in skyrim

but breaking the leveling/xp system that just takes the cake what next a patch that breaks the entire game
It exists. It's called "Diablo III".

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
ex951753 said:
RvLeshrac said:
Amnestic said:
Online game gets patch, patch affects something else but is easily fixed.

Truly the greatest outrage of our time. *eyeroll*

Just to get some perspective: Have you guys ever seen an online game which didn't have new bugs come in with a patch? Ever? Can you name even one? How about single player only? Any?
It isn't "easily fixed." I don't just casually wander around changing my 30+ character passwords on a whim. It shouldn't have been broken to begin with, and the fact that you're defending the most idiotic of bugs based on "Well, there are bugs in other games" is just stupid. That's like defending a doctor who leaves a tool in a patient by saying "Well, other doctors have done it."

There's no excuse for sloppy QA.
Battle net passwords are only 16 characters max. So why post on this matter when you don't even have a battle net account. Before you all start a lynch mob note that Blizzard have already fixed the issue on the same day the patch went live- just as all fixes on a buggy patch should be.

@the editor- stop trying to earn a quick buck by continually posting this garbage as news.
Obviously a hyperbolic point for emphasis, thanks for coming out. I honestly hate how people get vilified for criticizing Blizzard on this. This is a below standard release and handling of a game overall and will be remembered as such at the end of this year I'm sure. Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game, at least this year. This is pretty bad overall.
It wasn't hyperbole, actually. But he's right, I have a different length for my bnet password. Which explains why B.Net accounts are so easy to break into. On top of the case-insensitivity and the ability to log in an infinite number of times via API, that is.

Did I mention botting yet? I don't think a single one of the botters I know has been banned.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
My first thought during the reading of this article:
How excellently this could've been avoided if it didn't force you to play online and autoupdate.

My thoughts after reading said article:
How... pointless... but still would've been avoidable if playable offline without autoupdating.

Come to think of it.. can we get a version with that?

No?

ok...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Amnestic said:

Just to get some perspective: Have you guys ever seen an online game which didn't have new bugs come in with a patch? Ever? Can you name even one? How about single player only? Any?
I do feel the need to point out that there's a difference between a simple animation not playing to one of the biggest parts of the game refusing to function. It's akin to a patch for an FPS game that disables reloading. Actually, that would be an awesome game mode...

Attempting To Be More OT: Wow...this is something. You would think that after the whole Error 37 issue that Blizzard would test their products/updates to death before releasing them.

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
th155 said:
If this is a legitimate bug/fix, i really want to know exactly why changing a string fixes anything.
I can't tell you why it fixes this particular problem. However, I can tell you that I have a digital copy, and I couldn't access the Real Money Auction House once it came online. I received a "gotta wait 3 days for digital copies" message for 5 days after the RMAH came online. The fix for that problem was to change my Battle.net password for some reason. As soon as I did that RMAH opened up with no problem.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The sad thing is, I knew exactly what this thread was gonna turn into. -_-

Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
...blizzard are you even trying anymore??
Yeah, because no patch ever in the history of gaming has EVER introduced a random unforeseen bug.
RvLeshrac said:
Amnestic said:

It isn't "easily fixed." I don't just casually wander around changing my 30+ character passwords on a whim. It shouldn't have been broken to begin with, and the fact that you're defending the most idiotic of bugs based on "Well, there are bugs in other games" is just stupid. That's like defending a doctor who leaves a tool in a patient by saying "Well, other doctors have done it."
So a bug - one which only takes about a minute to fix permanently - is comparable to having surgical equipment sewn-up inside your body. Yeah...

There's no excuse for sloppy QA.
Have you ever made a game? Ever? Do you even know the basics to it? Lemme break it down for you: There are probably about a million places where a game can break; and about a dozen ways that fixing one thing can break something completely unrelated to it. This isn't even just Blizzard, that's just coding in general. When you have a game that's able to do a dozen things at once, it's very easy for code to get tangled-up in ways that even a team of a thousand play testers might not catch. Heck, there have been bugs that remained in a game years before someone discovered it. So... yeah. If a minor bug with an easy fix is really TOO much for you to handle that you need to drop a phrase like that... you should probably find a new hobby.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I have a fantastic idea for a business model. It's a little retro, but I think it could catch on. It goes like this:

You pay $60 for a game.

The game works.

For clarity's sake:

You pay $60 for a game. That means you don't give up your computer to data mining, you don't agree to be shoved in front of a billboard the same day you paid for your game, you don't sign over basic rights and agree to shrug off malfeasance on the creators' part, and you don't run up against players who paid more for abilities that knock multiplayer balance out of whack. Your financial outlay of sixty dollars is all the creators expect of you, because it's all they reasonably have any right to expect.

The game works. It doesn't lock up because someone cut corners in Quality Assurance. It doesn't refuse to load because of server load issues. It doesn't make the experience of someone who lives in a broadband-poor country far worse than the one of someone who lives in a broadband-rich one when they paid the same price for what they understood to be the same game. It doesn't mandate patches and fail to notice when those patches sabotage basic gameplay elements.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The sad thing is, I knew exactly what this thread was gonna turn into. -_-
Yeah, any thread related to Diablo III is going to quickly devolve into a bunch of people criticizing and flaming Blizzard and the game, and then criticizing and flaming anyone who dares utter a word that might be construed as neutral or positive in the direction of Blizzard or Diablo III.

OT: Well, I'll probably fire up and update the game later this week, see if all the hoopla is affecting my two characters that are level 48. It sounds strange that changing your password would fix it, though.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Obviously a hyperbolic point for emphasis, thanks for coming out. I honestly hate how people get vilified for criticizing Blizzard on this. This is a below standard release and handling of a game overall and will be remembered as such at the end of this year I'm sure. Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game, at least this year. This is pretty bad overall.
Dead Island and Rage would like to have a word with you*. It's amazing how people are so quick to forget about games that launch in a (literally) unplayable state, then see a game that has very few bugs like D3 and come-up with phrases like "Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game". You seriously sound a complete buffoon who's JUST getting into the gaming industry, but trying to sound as-if he's been around since the beginning.

*And just keep in mind, that's just two examples from the past year, let alone games I could pull-up from the past 10 years if I really wanted to.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
OT: Well, I'll probably fire up and update the game later this week, see if all the hoopla is affecting my two characters that are level 48. It sounds strange that changing your password would fix it, though.
I guess one theory (at least according to this thread) is that it has to do with a database issue, and resetting your password causes your account info to refresh, which apparently fixes whatever the problem is. Not sure if that's the case, I guess it kinda makes sense.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
shrekfan246 said:
I guess one theory (at least according to this thread) is that it has to do with a database issue, and resetting your password causes your account info to refresh, which apparently fixes whatever the problem is. Not sure if that's the case, I guess it kinda makes sense.
Huh. Well, I'm typically unusually lucky when it comes to not running into bugs, so I'm not too fussed over it.

Off-topic: Is your profile motto from Tolkien, the bluegrass album that took the name from Tolkien, or Devildriver?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
shrekfan246 said:
Huh. Well, I'm typically unusually lucky when it comes to not running into bugs, so I'm not too fussed over it.

Off-topic: Is your profile motto from Tolkien, the bluegrass album that took the name from Tolkien, or Devildriver?
Tolkien. IIRC, it's something that Gandalf says.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That's funny, I was just playing earlier and it just installed that patch too and I didn't run into any of those problems and I have the digital version too.

Jan 22, 2011
Buretsu said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
...blizzard are you even trying anymore??
Heck, the people who jumped on the "Blizzard Hate" bandwagon with both feet aren't even trying anymore.
Listen I love blizzard and a lot of their games that I still play to this day on my PC. However you can not deny they have fumbled around with this game since the launch date with over-loading on the servers making the game un-playble with the millions of players that blizzard didn't expect that actually wanted to play the game.

Then there is the account hacking issues where people where going in and looting everyone's gold, rare item's etc due to a glitch in the system security and now a half a** patch that breaks/makes the game worse. Making a game is very hard-work, however from these three strikes alone it's proven to me that blizzard now doesn't know what the hell they are doing since they have been riding the WOW train for damn long.

I'll wait a year before buying this game so blizzard can sort out their problems so far and hopefully by then it will be stable enough play.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Here I am, playing my Wizard, having zero issues with the patch day (I'm impressed), not hacked, know no-one that got hacked and having lots of... FUN (oh!) playing Inferno with a friend.