Diablo III Patch Prevents Players From Gaining XP

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
My brother ragequitted yesterday after the attack-speed nerf. Imagine, spending hours and millions of gold acquiring attack-speed oriented witch-doctor gear, just to see it all nerfed in a day by 50%. He now does 22k less damage (out of original 75k).

He's pissed as hell. Hmm..well, I assume he'll be back and at it in about a week or so..maybe?...

At the moment things look pretty grim though -__-

Jan 22, 2011
Buretsu said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
Buretsu said:
...blizzard are you even trying anymore??
Heck, the people who jumped on the "Blizzard Hate" bandwagon with both feet aren't even trying anymore.
SNIP
What I'm hearing is that you don't have the game, and have in fact never even actually played the game, so you only have third-hand information to go on, but are more than willing to lump yourself in with everybody else complaining about the game because hey, why not.
I don't have home internet right now so I can't play the game if i wanted to, all I have is public wifi/t-mobile 4g. Yes i am going by what others have said because these are legit issues that need to be addressed for the game.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Jesus Christ that was quite the novella you wrote there.

On to my points and how you're wrong anyways.

1. There's no use using Rage and Dead Island as examples due to the fact that their issues didn't continually persist to hamper their features.

I'm sorry but there's no excuse for anyone's single player experience to lag because they don't have the choice to not play online. None.

2.Not really denial. Sorry but as soon as people saw what actual gameplay of both Rage and Dead Island looked like, interest dipped significantly. Rage looked like a weird mulch of Borderlands and Fallout 3, while Dead Island was Left 4 Dead with RPG elements and Duke Nukem's mighty foot. Sales also reflect this.

3.Yes the RMAH and the DRM were announced before release. People weren't fans of either. It was widely discussed. People thought they could just ignore those features and have fun with the game. What you neglected to point out about this particular point was that hackers had already screwed people before D3 was on the market for a month. The DRM that you say people should have researched didn't work clearly, and still isn't due to the fact that botters are still exploiting the game. People usually hear DRM and think, "well at least I won't get hacked". Researching the feature would not have mattered if the feature don't work.

4. Like I said, overall enthusiasm dropped like the bass in a Skrillex song when both Dead Island and Rage were shown at E3. Neither game had stellar sales as well. Rage fared better on console due to the PC port being crap, and Dead Island was bland even after they fixed the launch issues.

And when I say I've never seen a game as botched as D3, I mean it. I'm taking into the account the fact that this is a flagship title by a critically acclaimed company. Not that many companies fuck up their mainstay series to this degree. No one expected Blizzard, a company with a near perfect track record for delivering great games, to screw up DIABLO 3. This is an embarrassment for them. When other games come out like crap, they're either patched until they work, or they're just horrible games.

D3 is a good game hampered by the decisions you'd expect EA or Activision to make. This is like if Valve finally put out HL3 only to have 4 packs of Day 1 DLC and being 3 and a half hours long.

I'm aware that other games in the past have fucked up their releases, but we gave those games and the parties responsible their hazings and jeers and moved on. This is a different kind of messing up. This one could have been prevented by common sense completely. This mess up made a great game very much less enjoyable due to Blizzard's want to jam the RMAH ingame. That's pretty much a "please hack me" if we've ever seen one.

And their counter measure to it was even worse. Even if they had different servers for "RMAH player" and "non-RMAH players" and kept the online DRM it would have been a better solution then, "don't wanna get hacked? spend more money to buy an authenticator". The fact is that players who don't want to use the RMAH still have a chance of getting hacked. Along with server lag, the fact that Error 37 still pops up, and glitches like the one mentioned in this article come along, you can see why people are a bit pissed.

And where in the 9 circles of hell did anyone in this thread say they had a problem with D3 not being just like D2? Quit putting your assumptions in people's mouths. People aren't saying anything of the sort. Are you daft? People are pissed because the can't play single player offline, they can't feel 100% secure about their character not being hacked, they can't play their game without lag due to Ubisoft quality DRM, or sometime can't play their damn game at all. D3 is great when it works. People aren't mad because they want D2 again. That's your assumption. People are mad because the features that were meant to protect the game from problems have caused a massive amount of headache. You honestly can't be mad at people for this valid reason. People are praising the new skill tree and classes. People are praising the game's story and new classes. The only complaint about the game itself that people have is that its a bit short. Otherwise the main complaints are about the phallic DRM and RMAH caused issues.

My rose tinted glasses are off, you may want to put some glasses ON in order to read what the hell people are saying.

And yes, I'm aware that Diablo has been a multiplayer focused game to an extent, but most people who have played Diablo first play alone their first run. Its' that choice that made D1 and D2 great. And you didn't NEED to play with others to beat the game. I wouldn't say Diablo is a completely MP focused game, it was just one of the first to transition single player and multiplayer equally on both sides. That's what Blizzard seems to have forgotten here.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
And when I say I've never seen a game as botched as D3, I mean it. I'm taking into the account the fact that this is a flagship title by a critically acclaimed company.
Since when was Diablo a flagship title? Being nice, the Diablo series has always just been Blizzards footnote to Warcraft and Starcraft. Being honest, Diablo has always been a mediocre grindfest filled with tedious bullshit whose sole selling point was 'not quite as bad as everything else'

D3 is a good game hampered by the decisions you'd expect EA or Activision to make. This is like if Valve finally put out HL3 only to have 4 packs of Day 1 DLC and being 3 and a half hours long.
Kinda sounds like you're trying to push all the blame of this onto Activison, gotta preserve that nostalgia somehow I suppose.

And where in the 9 circles of hell did anyone in this thread say they had a problem with D3 not being just like D2? Quit putting your assumptions in people's mouths. People aren't saying anything of the sort.
Perhaps you missed the hordes of Torchlight, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn fans all whining about how Diablo III was dumbed down for mindless casual biodrone sheep? I wouldn't blame you for not noticing them since they only popped up once (a minute...for basically the entire first month the game was out.)

People are praising the new skill tree and classes. People are praising the game's story and new classes.
I'd like to know who 'People' is exactly, because as far as I can see everybody hates the new skills and classes (see above.)

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
That's funny, I was just playing earlier and it just installed that patch too and I didn't run into any of those problems and I have the digital version too.
Have you changed your password at any point?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
samaugsch said:
canadamus_prime said:
That's funny, I was just playing earlier and it just installed that patch too and I didn't run into any of those problems and I have the digital version too.
Not since buying the game, no. Prior to that, yeah a couple of times. Why?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Oh Blizzard, what are you doing?

That said, I did get to play it on my brothers computer the other day (my laptop is woefully incapable of running it) and I did have a pretty fun time.
Shame Blizz keep pooping all over the game they (and us) have put so much into.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aeshi said:
Ugh, are you serious?
Since when was Diablo a flagship title?
Since Diablo 2 at one point held the Guinness World Record for fastest selling computer game of all time at one point... And since the Battle Chest was still one of the top 20 selling PC games in 2008.

What are you smoking and can I have some?

Kinda sounds like you're trying to push all the blame of this onto Activison, gotta preserve that nostalgia somehow I suppose. I mean the Blizzard of old would never let other people make their games right?
Kinda sounds like your trying to put words in my mouth because you can't really argue the point that bad decisions were made. Nowhere did I say or have anything to day about Activision at all. Please stop doing what the person I was originally debating was doing and pulling random points out of thin air. They won't stick. I also said nothing about Blizzard letting other people make their games. You're letting your mouth run way ahead of your brain.

Perhaps you missed the hordes of Torchlight, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn fans all whining about how Diablo III was dumbed down for mindless casual biodrone sheep? I wouldn't blame you for not noticing them since they only popped up once (a minute...for basically the entire first month the game was out.)
Seriously, get off the reefer...

I was talking specifically about this thread alone with this point, not when the game came out. Learn to read.

I'd like to know who 'People' is exactly, because as far as I can see everybody hates the new skills and classes (see above.)
Freinds of mine who, after struggling with Error 37 for 2 days at launch along with other various set up issues, enjoyed the game. But because you say so, everybody MUST hate the game right?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Since Diablo 2 at one point held the Guinness World Record for fastest selling computer game of all time at one point... And since the Battle Chest was still one of the top 20 selling PC games in 2008.
'Popular' does not equal 'Flagship' (or 'Good' for that matter), Warcraft kinda takes that title by virtue of being leagues more successful (again, the Diablo games have always been a footnote at best, albeit a more-successful-than-normal one.)

Kinda sounds like your trying to put words in my mouth because you can't really argue the point that bad decisions were made. Nowhere did I say or have anything to day about Activision at all. Please stop doing what the person I was originally debating was doing and pulling random points out of thin air. They won't stick. I also said nothing about Blizzard letting other people make their games. You're letting your mouth run way ahead of your brain.
Yet you seemed awfully keen to go on about how all the bad decisions Blizzard made were the sort of thing Activision or EA (more significantly the former since they're part of Blizzard now) would do, as opposed to the sort of thing Blizzard would do (and did do.)

Freinds of mine who, after struggling with Error 37 for 2 days at launch along with other various set up issues, enjoyed the game. But because you say so, everybody MUST hate the game right?
So that brings the count of people who like Diablo up to what, eight? I never said everybody hates Diablo III (just everybody as far as I could see) but the point still stands that the haters vastly outnumber the non-haters.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Umm... no. Popular does mean flagship. That's like saying Zelda isn't a flagship Nintendo title because it's not as popular as Mario. Companies can also have multiple flagship titles. It's not like Blizzard has just made Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. Those 3 are the flagship franchises that put them on the map. A lot of people aren't aware, or could care less about the side scrolling beat em ups based on DC comics that Blizzard made for the SNES. Or the racing game they made back when they were called Silicon & Synapse. Hell, there are even references to characters from their Lost Viking series form the SNES in WOW.

So yes Diablo IS a flagship series, not just a footnote. People don't wait 12 years for sequels to footnotes.

Yet you seemed awfully keen to go on about how all the bad decisions Blizzard made were the sort of thing Activision or EA (more significantly the former since they're part of Blizzard now) would do, as opposed to the sort of thing Blizzard would do (and did do.)
Maybe because this is the first time Blizzard has made such decisions. Ever think of that? EA jammed ME3 with DRM on the PC. EA also made Origin and we all know how that went. Those were typical boneheaded EA decisions though. As I said before, quit trying to jam Activition into this debate. Not only didn't I not freaking mention Activision, but Activision hasn't made stupid DRM mistakes like EA, Ubisoft, or (now including) Blizzard. In fact they have a bunch of games on GOG.com, a site that kind of says that DRM sucks pretty hard...
So please, stop bringing Activision into this.

So that brings the count of people who like Diablo up to what, eight? I never said everybody hates Diablo III (just everybody as far as I could see) but the point still stands that the haters vastly outnumber the non-haters.
Again with the lack of reading what people say. Most of the complaints of D3 are directly about the stupidly implemented DRM, and the RMAH. Hell, now more complaints are going to come in about the fact that buying the game digitally only gets you the starter edition for 72 hours. We'd see a lot more articles about D3 sucking than we would about D3's garbage functionality issues if the majority of the complaints were about how bad the game itself was.

Look, I don't even know what your arguing anymore, or why. You seems to be pushing your half knowledge opinions up without realizing what you are saying. What's the point of debating me? It seems you want to argue for the sake of arguing at this point.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
samaugsch said:
canadamus_prime said:
Not since buying the game, no. Prior to that, yeah a couple of times. Why?
It says that the bug was fixed when people changed their password so I figured that maybe since you changed it before buying the game, it prevented the bug from occuring.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
So yes Diablo IS a flagship series, not just a footnote. People don't wait 12 years for sequels to footnotes.
The existence of Rayman Origins (and if you drop the 12-year limit a bit, other similar games like BG&E2) begs to differ.

Maybe because this is the first time Blizzard has made such decisions. Ever think of that? EA jammed ME3 with DRM on the PC. EA also made Origin and we all know how that went. Those were typical boneheaded EA decisions though.
And what's so significant about it being the first time? are we using the School Logic of 'Ignore normally naughty kids when they're bad because that's what they always do, Punish normally good kids when they're bad because it might encourage them to become the former?' are we going to start whining about what Blizzard might do in the future?

Not only didn't I not freaking mention Activision
Except you know, you totally did:
AzrealMaximillion said:
D3 is a good game hampered by the decisions you'd expect EA or Activision to make.

Most of the complaints of D3 are directly about the stupidly implemented DRM, and the RMAH. Hell, now more complaints are going to come in about the fact that buying the game digitally only gets you the starter edition for 72 hours. We'd see a lot more articles about D3 sucking than we would about D3's garbage functionality issues if the majority of the complaints were about how bad the game itself was.
The only reason you see more of the former is because "I oppose Diablo III because of DRM, would've bought it otherwise." makes them sound like more of a Gamer Rights moral crusader than "I hate Diablo III and wouldn't have bought it either way."

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aeshi said:
The existence of Rayman Origins (and if you drop the 12-year limit a bit, other similar games like BG&E2) begs to differ.
Wow you really don't know what the words flagship or footnote means at all do you? Rayman was one of Ubisofts more successful franchises. Hardly a footnote. We ALL played Rayman back in the day. But to another point, no one was really waiting for Rayman Origins either, hence the garbage sales. And Beyond Good and Evil isn't a footnote game either. Not a flagship i'll give you that, but a cult classic. People wait for sequels to cult classics that may never come. I'm looking at you Firefly fans.

And what's so significant about it being the first time? are we using the School Logic of 'Ignore normally naughty kids when they're bad because that's what they always do, Punish normally good kids when they're bad because it might encourage them to become the former?' are we going to start whining about what Blizzard might do in the future?
Well to be honest the upcoming Mists of Pandaria expansion is a major reason a lot of people are leaving WOW so it's not like Blizzard is out of stupid ideas yet. But more to the point, I never said that Blizzard will continue to make horrid decisions either. There's that putting words in my mouth thing again. My point was that these decisions are so abnormal for Blizzard its almost like a paradigm shift in the company happened.

Not only didn't I not freaking mention Activision
Except you know, you totally did:
AzrealMaximillion said:
D3 is a good game hampered by the decisions you'd expect EA or Activision to make.
Fair enough I'll give you that. But to be fair YOUR arguments have been almost nothing but your opinions being jammed into MY throat. You might want to stop that.

The only reason you see more of the former is because "I oppose Diablo III because of DRM, would've bought it otherwise." makes them sound like more of a Gamer Rights moral crusader than "I hate Diablo III and wouldn't have bought it either way."
So you've got an opinion as your counter argument. Now I know you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Listen friend, you've gone from arguing what a flagship title is and dropped that.

Then you tried to say that I was blaming Activision for Blizzard's asinine decisions. Then you dropped that point.

Then you brought up a whole bunch of opinion based meandering to this debate that had nothing to do with what I said. And you've been running off of different things to argue into futility.

Why are you even debating with me anymore?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Wow you really don't know what the words flagship or footnote means at all do you? Rayman was one of Ubisofts more successful franchises. Hardly a footnote. We ALL played Rayman back in the day. But to another point, no one was really waiting for Rayman Origins either, hence the garbage sales. And Beyond Good and Evil isn't a footnote game either. Not a flagship i'll give you that, but a cult classic. People wait for sequels to cult classics that may never come. I'm looking at you Firefly fans.
'Cult Classic' and 'Footnote' are not mutually exclusive, as it is possible to be popular without being successful.

My point was that these decisions are so abnormal for Blizzard its almost like a paradigm shift in the company happened.
So what? Companies change with time, Blizzard used to make platforms and racing games, then they made good RTSs and mediocre RPGs, and now they're making an okay-ish RTS and a below-average RPG with the money they made off their 'in a league of its own' (profit wise anyway) MMO.

Listen friend, you've gone from arguing what a flagship title is and dropped that.
Then you tried to say that I was blaming Activision for Blizzard's asinine decisions. Then you dropped that point.
I can pick them back up if you want me to:

On what a 'Flagship' is:
The Dictionary defines a 'flagship' (in the business sense) as "the best or most important one of a group or system." and Wikipedia defines it as "a company's products which are most directly related to their core competencies" (one of which is that it must be difficult for competitors to replicate/imitate) Diablo is not the most important (I'm pretty sure Starcraft has made more money than Diablo, and I think Warcraft makes more profit a year than the Diablo series has in its entire existence.) It is not hard to replicate/imitate (Torchlight, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn are just 3 imitators from the top of my head.) so all it could possibly have going for it is being the best, which is debatable/a matter of opinion to begin with.

On ActiBlizz:
Maybe I was wrong and you weren't blaming the 'Acti' half of ActiBlizz for what the 'Blizz' half has done, but you still chose to comment on how the bad decisions they made with D3 were the sort of thing they (and specifically they) would do instead of something more generic like "D3 is a good game hampered by the decisions you'd expect a load of monkeys with typewriters to make."

I have nothing better to do.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Jove said:
You could, you know,,,play a video game? Is arguing with a random person on an internet forum (which your losing badly btw) that important or better use of your time?
Played all the games I have at the moment. And this is cheaper and only mildly less entertaining anyway.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
The fact that people bought this piece of shit is evidence that they a) Didn't try and b) Don't actually need to ever try in the future.
for me, actually, they will. played it for a week, put it down, not been back.

it's just more of Blizzards dull grind-a-thons. if i wanted that I'd play something from Prefect World Entertainment (like WoW, but prettier and cheaper)

OT:
this really doesn't surprise me anymore.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
An amusing glitch. But at least it has an easy fix.

I'll wait a year before buying this game so blizzard can sort out their problems so far and hopefully by then it will be stable enough play.
It's most sensible to do that with any service you plan on enacting a long-term commitment to anyway. Not just with MMOs (or MMO-like games like D3).

Hell, no need to limit that to games, I do it with consoles.
Apart from the 3DS (which wasn't actually my choice), I ALWAYS wait at least a year.
With new tech (hardware or software), I find that early adopters pay the most and have the most technical problems. They play the role of guinea pigs for everyone who follows.

The upside? Social value. The game is a "status symbol" and they're sought more in social circles because the game is still a relative unknown. Assuming the game doesn't collapse of course.

The funny thing is that if everyone did that, there would be no customers...someone has to come first after all.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aeshi said:
'Cult Classic' and 'Footnote' are not mutually exclusive, as it is possible to be popular without being successful.
Doesn't defend the point you made. You implied that people waited for "footnote" games. Then you used 2 horrible examples of "footnote" franchises. A game that no one was really waiting on at all (Rayman Origins), and a cult classic that is slowly being worked on (BE&E2). Neither franchise can be considered footnotes due to their histories.

So what? Companies change with time, Blizzard used to make platforms and racing games, then they made good RTSs and mediocre RPGs, and now they're making an okay-ish RTS and a below-average RPG with the money they made off their 'in a league of its own' (profit wise anyway) MMO.
Irrelevant. And again didn't defend your point or deflect mine. It still stands that the decision making process for what happened (and is still happening) to D3 was very ill thought out. The most recent one of locking digital purchasers of D3 with the Starter Edition for 72 hours in some vain attempt to "combat piracy", and then claim that the decision was "unintended" hours after really shows that some people need to be removed from the D3 team altogether.

I can pick them back up if you want me to:

On what a 'Flagship' is:
The Dictionary defines a 'flagship' (in the business sense) as "the best or most important one of a group or system." and Wikipedia defines it as "a company's products which are most directly related to their core competencies" (one of which is that it must be difficult for competitors to replicate/imitate) Diablo is not the most important (I'm pretty sure Starcraft has made more money than Diablo, and I think Warcraft makes more profit a year than the Diablo series has in its entire existence.) It is not hard to replicate/imitate (Torchlight, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn are just 3 imitators from the top of my head.) so all it could possibly have going for it is being the best, which is debatable/a matter of opinion to begin with.
Wrong again chum. Your using the assumption that a company can only have one flagship franchise. That's a load of crap if you look at Nintendo. Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Pokemon are all considered flagship franchises.

Hell, Sega's another good example of a company with multiple flagship franchises with Sonic, Yakuza, and Virtua Fighter. Capcom has DMC, Megaman, Street Fighter,Resident Evil and so on.

Point is your Wikipedia explanation doesn't work for video game companies in 2 ways.

1.Multiple flagship games under one company can and do exist. With Blizzard it's Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft.

2.Flagship titles can be easily replicated. Call Of Duty is the flagship title of Activision. Now there's no way in hell you can sell me this crap of a flagship game not being subject to imitativeness with a game in the most stagnated genre of gaming at the moment. There are other platformers that play like Mario. Hell, the Crusader of Centy and Beyond Oasis are both Sega Genesis games that are top down view action-adventure games that are very similar to the old Legend of Zelda games.

On ActiBlizz:
Maybe I was wrong and you weren't blaming the 'Acti' half of ActiBlizz for what the 'Blizz' half has done, but you still chose to comment on how the bad decisions they made with D3 were the sort of thing they (and specifically they) would do instead of something more generic like "D3 is a good game hampered by the decisions you'd expect a load of monkeys with typewriters to make."
Due to the similarities of the idiotic decisions. Jamming the RMAH into D3 is very similar to jamming COD Elite into COD games. Both decisions take features out of their respective games and inconvenience the player in doing so.

I have nothing better to do.[/quote]
Well that's a bit sad. This debate has just been something to do when I'm not playing either TOR or Deus EX at the moment. But seriously, keep your debates more consistent for crying out loud.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
RvLeshrac said:
The fact that people bought this piece of shit is evidence that they a) Didn't try and b) Don't actually need to ever try in the future.
for me, actually, they will. played it for a week, put it down, not been back.

it's just more of Blizzards dull grind-a-thons. if i wanted that I'd play something from Prefect World Entertainment (like WoW, but prettier and cheaper)

OT:
this really doesn't surprise me anymore.
For every one of you, there are ten people defending the game and Blizzard's policies.