Diablo III Patch Prevents Players From Gaining XP

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Diablo III Patch Prevents Players From Gaining XP

The latest Diablo III update has broken a few things, but there's an easy fix.

According to the game's official forums [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5870067684?page=1], numerous players running the latest update have discovered that they can't gain any experience, their followers are capped at level 13 and health globes have been rendered invisible.

The bug apparently comes with the v.10.3.10057 update and only affects those with a digital copy of the game. Fortunately, there's an easy fix, albeit one that doesn't come from Blizzard itself. According to player chatter, changing your game password will fix the issue, allowing you to start leveling up once again.

I fired up my digital copy of the game, and I didn't run into any of the aforementioned problems.

There's no word from Blizzard yet as to whether this a legitimate issue, but the numerous posts and confirmations on the game's forum seems to indicate this isn't a prank or some kind of super-elaborate phishing attempt.

Source: Diablo III Forums [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5883928416]

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
If true, that is one heck of a way to get people with an easy password to change it.

"Problems in game? Well, maybe if you had a more secure password.."

th155

Mar 4, 2011
If this is a legitimate bug/fix, i really want to know exactly why changing a string fixes anything.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
th155 said:
If this is a legitimate bug/fix, i really want to know exactly why changing a string fixes anything.
The issue is that the internet tubes got filled up with lots of informations, and changing your password is like flushing it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Online game gets patch, patch affects something else but is easily fixed.

Truly the greatest outrage of our time. *eyeroll*

Just to get some perspective: Have you guys ever seen an online game which didn't have new bugs come in with a patch? Ever? Can you name even one? How about single player only? Any?

giller13

Jun 19, 2012
I'm sorry, but XP drop rates have been "balanced" due to the addition of the auction system...

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
th155 said:
Obviously, the password is not stored as a literal string.

It is likely it is also used to generate a key server-side that is used to access character data.

Databases are arcane things, it's no wonder DBAs are paid big bucks.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
...blizzard are you even trying anymore??
The fact that people bought this piece of shit is evidence that they a) Didn't try and b) Don't actually need to ever try in the future.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Amnestic said:

Just to get some perspective: Have you guys ever seen an online game which didn't have new bugs come in with a patch? Ever? Can you name even one? How about single player only? Any?
It isn't "easily fixed." I don't just casually wander around changing my 30+ character passwords on a whim. It shouldn't have been broken to begin with, and the fact that you're defending the most idiotic of bugs based on "Well, there are bugs in other games" is just stupid. That's like defending a doctor who leaves a tool in a patient by saying "Well, other doctors have done it."

There's no excuse for sloppy QA.

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
Actually, the changing password fix makes sense to me. (And, yeah, for a stupid reason.)

It's entirely possible that
evilneko said:
Databases are arcane things, it's no wonder DBAs are paid big bucks.
is closer to the mark than intended. My belief is that there was a giant schema update, and if there was no problem, you're good to go, but if there was a problem, changing your password would force the entire record that is you to be saved, filling in the missing entries where they belong, fixing you.

It's a bit out there, but it would explain the behaviour.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
RvLeshrac said:
Amnestic said:

It isn't "easily fixed." I don't just casually wander around changing my 30+ character passwords on a whim. It shouldn't have been broken to begin with, and the fact that you're defending the most idiotic of bugs based on "Well, there are bugs in other games" is just stupid. That's like defending a doctor who leaves a tool in a patient by saying "Well, other doctors have done it."

Battle net passwords are only 16 characters max. So why post on this matter when you don't even have a battle net account. Before you all start a lynch mob note that Blizzard have already fixed the issue on the same day the patch went live- just as all fixes on a buggy patch should be. I'm no fan of Diablo, I still think Blizzard shouldn't have released it as it was, but attacking it with a buggy patch? maybe you should stick to single player games?

@the editor- stop trying to earn a quick buck by continually posting this garbage as news.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Blizz, you dun fucked up. I hope they're taking these claims seriously.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
...blizzard are you even trying anymore??
No, they're just partying all the time. They sold all their computers for strippers and booze.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ex951753 said:
RvLeshrac said:
Amnestic said:

Battle net passwords are only 16 characters max. So why post on this matter when you don't even have a battle net account. Before you all start a lynch mob note that Blizzard have already fixed the issue on the same day the patch went live- just as all fixes on a buggy patch should be.

@the editor- stop trying to earn a quick buck by continually posting this garbage as news.
Obviously a hyperbolic point for emphasis, thanks for coming out. I honestly hate how people get vilified for criticizing Blizzard on this. This is a below standard release and handling of a game overall and will be remembered as such at the end of this year I'm sure. Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game, at least this year. This is pretty bad overall.