Diablo III Sells Like Crazy

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Magefeanor said:
7. Always online is the future.
That is a future no customer should want. Please don't just accept it.
Why not? We're getting better and better network lines and soon enough we'll probably be completely independent of it.
Someones just jumped on this train a bit earlier.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Magefeanor said:
1. Bought the game.
2. Waited a day(experience from practically every game relying on servers).
3. Played without a problem.
4. Love the game.
5. Don't give a shit about always online when it actually works.
6. America is apparently getting gig network lines.
8. And stop being so bloody hostile, hate it all you want, but stop harassing people who bought it.
9. Good job Blizzard, continue actually being nice and don't turn out like Activision.
1. Okay
2. They've had this problem with every release they've ever had. Don't you think they should have fixed this crap by now?
3. You're among the lucky ones. Of my four friends with the game, two have been able to play reliably.
4. Okay.
5. Except that it didn't for a day or longer, based on where you live.
6. Source needed.
7. A future that no one should want. Because then everything we do is at the mercy of internet companies.
8. That's fair.
9. No comment.
2. I do agree with what others said though, they could have rented a few servers for launch.
3. Depends on the region then, far as I've understood Europe didn't get hit that bad.
5. Same as above EDIT: Well, at least It's not Ubisoft always online shit
6. I read it in an article here actually, no idea where that one disappeared too though.
7. Good point, though what isn't dependent on something else? You still technically is at the mercy of the internet provider. That seems to be the future, I'm not saying I don't like having offline capabilities, but going all the world is ending over the subject is pretty stupid.

That's about it I guess

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Magefeanor said:
Easton Dark said:
Magefeanor said:
That is a future no customer should want. Please don't just accept it.
Why not? We're getting better and better network lines and soon enough we'll probably be completely independent of it.
Someones just jumped on this train a bit earlier.
Disregarding that every place on Earth that plays games isn't America with those fabled lines of continuous internet, here's the thing: Connections can be shut off.

Company connections can be shut off. And the goal of a company is to make money. Which means when a game isn't profitable anymore, those servers that enable you to play your game will be shut down. No more game. Not online or offline. If Blizzard shut down D3 servers, you'd have payed 60 bucks for those gigs used up on your hard drive, and nothing else.

Always online for MMOs makes sense, but for everything else, please... don't.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Blizzard gave it to me for free for being a WoW player, I would have complained had it been offline game.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
What isn't listed is that many of these pre-orders came as a result of Blizzard offering free copies of the game to people who re-upped their subscription to WoW for a year. I'm guessing that's a hefty amount of purchases right there.
AP holders were not counted in the pre-order numbers because technically they were not pre-orders. but maybe the sales numbers. 1.4 million AP holders.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Can't believe the game took that long to make though. If anything it felt extremely rushed.
Found out today that they didn't even test Inferno before releasing it. They couldn't beat it... and all the fucking stealth nerfs they made to every class that found a way to survive in that mode.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game, but I've been playing for around 120 hours and I don't see myself playing it for that much longer. When I begun playing Diablo II back in 2002 it became part of my life for a few years.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
kaizen2468 said:
So either everyone who bitched about the DRM is a whiny hypocrite and bought it anyway, or the vast percentage of gamers who like this type of game don't care that Blizzard is spoon feeding them shit.

Only way we'll see no more DRM is if they saw sales numbers of maybe 1 million or something along with hundreds of thousands of people saying:

"No! We won't take this garbage anymore. You don't say when and how we can play the games we bought!"

I didn't buy it for this reason, and I wish others felt the same. I mean I work at a work site 30 weeks a year with no internet access so that means I'm not allowed to play something I could buy? How is that fair? Steam does it just fine without always online DRM.
I foresee the next blizzard game not even letting you install it, they will just host it remotely to make sure they have total control over it.

I am offended that this game sold this well even with the crappy always on drm bullshit.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
koroem said:
Shame all that money went to Blizzards pockets. Never been a Blizzard fan so I dont understand what the big draw with them and their games are. Regardless, the super sweet DRM should have been enough to make people think twice about this purchase.

Honestly, all that money should have gone to industry heroes like CD Project Red.
I am afraid that even CDP will sell out when they become successful enough, they either do or go bust, that's how the world works, it hates good things.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Magefeanor said:
Pray tell, where? Certainly not Chicago.

Most of America's Home-Internet service is a solid DECADE behind the rest of the developed world. My DSL speed, at its current price, was STANDARD for Japan in 1999.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Magefeanor said:
1. Bought the game.
2. Waited a day(experience from practically every game relying on servers).
3. Played without a problem.
4. Love the game.
5. Don't give a shit about always online when it actually works.
8. And stop being so bloody hostile, hate it all you want, but stop harassing people who bought it.
9. Good job Blizzard, continue actually being nice and don't turn out like Activision.
This. Well said sir.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
It's really annoying why people whine incessantly about always online DRM shit. That's the future for PC gaming, you'll have to deal with tit. 6.3 mn Diablo 3 copies sold so far and 0 pirated. I sincerely hope blizzard gets to ship 10+ mn copies before this game gets pirated.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
So in other words, people STILL haven't learned to stop buying on day 1, without looking at any reviews.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
dantoddd said:
It's really annoying why people whine incessantly about always online DRM shit. That's the future for PC gaming, you'll have to deal with tit. 6.3 mn Diablo 3 copies sold so far and 0 pirated. I sincerely hope blizzard gets to ship 10+ mn copies before this game gets pirated.
Bullshit. Always online for single-player experiences is pure nonsense. What Blizzard really wanted to do was just turn Diablo into purely an MMO experience.

What people are REALLY angry about though, is the fact that their servers can't support the popularity atm.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Always online is the future. Google believes this with the whole company.
If for some reason my internet access is broken for some reason, I see that as an excuse to shut my computer off and go do something else, like sleep or chat with other people IRL.

Another thing is: in any MMO, catastrophic launch days due to way too much demand is seen as a good thing. For Diablo, this was considered a bad thing, even though it's not different...

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
redmarine said:
koroem said:
Shame all that money went to Blizzards pockets. Never been a Blizzard fan so I dont understand what the big draw with them and their games are. Regardless, the super sweet DRM should have been enough to make people think twice about this purchase.

Honestly, all that money should have gone to industry heroes like CD Project Red.
The thing is that Blizzard games have a long history of being excellent and spectacular, and still are.

Just know that DRM means nothing if the games are great, especially if the DRM is familiar and the producer (Blizzard) doesn't abuse it.
I did never really care for Blizzard games except the Diablo series myself.