Diablo III vs Path of Excel

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
The thing i learned in PoE (and in this genera in general) is to skip most areas that aren't important for farming or leveling. So when I got to the area you are talking about i just decided to skip most of the mobs there since i was already a high enough level.
As for the final boss what i like to do is run around and avoid his attacks for a while trying to see what kind of attacks he does so that I know when to hit him. though i do admit that in his second form the adds he spawns are annoying as fuck.
Perhaps I fought him before he was actually balanced.

I do wonder if one reason why I found the encounter annoying was because I was using s Ranged Strength Duellist Build, but hadn't reached the talent that made Strength increase my Ranged Damage.
Then again, the rest of the game was perfectly do-able with that incomplete build.

The sad thing is, I will never go back to the game.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
The thing i learned in PoE (and in this genera in general) is to skip most areas that aren't important for farming or leveling. So when I got to the area you are talking about i just decided to skip most of the mobs there since i was already a high enough level.
As for the final boss what i like to do is run around and avoid his attacks for a while trying to see what kind of attacks he does so that I know when to hit him. though i do admit that in his second form the adds he spawns are annoying as fuck.

I do wonder if one reason why I found the encounter annoying was because I was using s Ranged Strength Duellist Build, but hadn't reached the talent that made Strength increase my Ranged Damage.
Then again, the rest of the game was perfectly do-able with that incomplete build.

why not? just because you had that one bad experience?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:

Several, and it pushed me over the edge of no return.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
How can anyone play a class where you wield brutal weapons but your character attacks using his fists is beyond me. It's not a big problem but that one aspect of the game irritates me so much. D3 is good for one playthrough after that there's literally nothing to do, all you can do is farm the same shit all over again on the same maps and locations and hope for a btter drop. There's still no meaningful PVP or anything remotely interesting

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:

Really? What where these experiences? Where they like the one with the final boss or something completely different?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:

Really? What where these experiences? Where they like the one with the final boss or something completely different?
It's not enjoyable being disconnected from the game due to a reason not at my end, and having to re-trace my steps back to where I was with areas respawned.
It creates a feeling of paranoia when you play, worrying that you might get DC'd.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:

It's not enjoyable being disconnected from the game due to a reason not at my end, and having to re-trace my steps back to where I was with areas respawned.
It creates a feeling of paranoia when you play, worrying that you might get DC'd.
ah. so it was the same experience. ok. fair enough.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
ah. so it was the same experience. ok. fair enough.
It's frustrating to get screwed over by a failed connection because a game has to be online even if you're playing it as a solo experience and you're not even using the chat channels. If it's problems on your end, then, coldly it's your problem. If it's the server itself (and it has nothing to do with DDOS attacks), then it's the Game's fault.
PoE's systems for deal with an unexpected disconnect is not fun. It's aggravating.

At least with Diablo 3... if you're progressing through the campaign it gives you a charity portal back to the zone you were in (though everything was respawned as well). At least you don't have to clear from a TP point back to the zone you were in. And at max level with Diablo 3, the content you farm isn't negatively affected by DCing (they removed Nephalem Valor), and Nephalem Rifts only take 15mins to complete if you're speed farming them as the slow moving Crusader.

I despise both games for having to be online. But Diablo 3 benefits from being ran by a company with lots of money, so the infrastructure for servers is better. Meaning the only times you get connection issues is during DDOS attacks, or when the game/expansion gets launched and the servers can't cope (ROS launched seamlessly because ROS players were playing before it got launched anyway).

I enjoyed the game mechanics and the talent tree variety was exciting. But, I personally didn't get excited over the environments of the game, so replayability didn't appeal. The BS with the boss and the constant BS of connections.

At least the core game is somewhat enjoyable, so if they can get round to fix these critical errors, PoE could be an amazing game.

Sorry if I appear to be using a quantity of personal opinion to state the quality of the game.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
You'll probably take this as an insult (it's not so much meant to be one), but it sounds to me like you got DC'd once, were frustrated already about the game not making the final boss easy enough, and wanted something easier/more casual.

I can say I've made....probably 10-15 characters, played through the final boss numerous times, and had one time where the game crashed on beating him (it happened to everyone in the party). So I can't say that's a normal occurrence. Yes, it sucks that it happened.

I can also say the first few times I beat him, I was in the same boat, churning through Town Portals, dying constantly, chipping away just a bit at a time until he would finally die. Since then, I picked up tricks both by playing more and by playing with people who know more. Now, while he's not extremely easy, he's not a huge challenge. So....if you're up for a game where there is some difficulty/a learning curve, it's a ton of fun.