DICE: Battlefield 3 Looks Better on Consoles Because We're Making it for PC

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
dmase said:
I'm just imagining either a head honcho from EA or DICE screaming fuck call of duty and eminem. We don't need rap or hardcore music will put a mellow song because our gameplay is just that badass.

... yeah this same head honcho probably calls 10 years olds names on halo multiplayer.
Visceral games have been putting mellow music over their trailers since Gears 3. It's not that new here.

OT: Pretty much confirmed for me that this game is gonna fall hard like BC2 did.

All I'm asking for is functioning controls. You've released 4 games without fixing a damn thing about them. Don't screw me on this one Dice. Please, I really wanna like this game.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Quick, someone find that "PC gamers happily dying..." image!
This is very interesting, We'll just have to wait and see which is better, scaling up from the weakest console, or down from the strongest. If this does show a marked improvement on porting games to different consoles, then this could become the norm for most games. Well done Battlefield.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
Satan has just announced the start of skating season in hell. In other news, this looks nice, hopefully will play nice as well. Im tired of CoD clones, and hopefully hopefully this will avoid walking us through the same tired tropes

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Good Trailer

OT: I am really pumped for this, i do want to see the co-op campaign gameplay before i considor buying this though, by the looks of it how can you make that sniper part anywhere as exciting with some dude crawling behind you.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
This makes total sense. Start designing for the computer, which your using to make the game anyways. Fiddle with all the annoying complicated bits that plague PC users, but can optimize the game in exciting ways. Then, you can fit the best possible game on the consoles. It's a system that plays to every platforms strengths, and those strengths help out the other platforms in turn. Ive always enjoyed Battlefield games, so...yeah, I think I will definitely buy this now.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
So, how is the game-play?

I don't give a shit how it looks if it plays and feels like every other shooter in the past 10 years.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
It actually makes sense to start with the PC, Valve did it with TF2 and everything went better than expected.

Serving UpSmiles said:
Good Trailer

OT: I am really pumped for this, i do want to see the co-op campaign gameplay before i considor buying this though, by the looks of it how can you make that sniper part anywhere as exciting with some dude crawling behind you.
Yeah then there's this. No full co-op means I'm not buying. Multiplayer is just an E-peen losing fest so why bother?

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
dmase said:
I'm just imagining either a head honcho from EA or DICE screaming fuck call of duty and eminem. We don't need rap or hardcore music will put a mellow song because our gameplay is just that badass.

... yeah this same head honcho probably calls 10 years olds names on halo multiplayer.
What gameplay? All they keep showing are scripted events. I'm interested but I'll remain skeptical until I see a multiplayer video.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
So... the PC gamers like to complain how making it for consoles ruins it for PC. Lets see if making it for PC ruins it for consoles this time.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The bit in the trailer at about 0:30 with the soldier running, body cocked sideways, is one of the better displays of believable physics and momentum that I've seen.

A good start, it would seem.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
WarpCode said:
Did hell freeze over? An EA exec stating its better to design for the PC and port to the 360/PS3? Never thought I would hear those words since most of Execs like to state that PC gaming is dead or dying.

As an avid PC gamer if I had no other reason to buy BF3, this right here is plenty of reason for me to buy it.
The thing is that Battlefield is one of the bastions of PC gaming, so that's probably why they're favoring the PC: they don't want to piss off their base. Console gamers don't give a crap as long as we end up with a good game in the end. The whole PC gamer inferiority complex will end when PCs and consoles start becoming the same thing, as all of our electronics will. Frankly I'm surprised consoles still exist. Their whole point was that you can hook them up to your TV. Now you can do that with your PC too, so the only difference is that you only have to buy a console every 5 years or so and don't have to worry about it otherwise.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheComfyChair said:
Wonder if anyone in the major gaming press is starting to realise that PC gaming isn't 'trailing behind', it's just making billions in the digital market?
The digital market, F2P and social games are huge on PCs. There's no denying that.

But games like COD and Medal of Honor sell overwhelmingly more copies on Xbox and PS3 than they do on PC. There's no denying that either, and that was my point.

Trafs

Oct 14, 2009
Awexsome said:
So... the PC gamers like to complain how making it for consoles ruins it for PC. Lets see if making it for PC ruins it for consoles this time.
Frankly - if there's any justice in the world - it should.

Well, I would have waited and bought this game cheaply in a Steam Sale or something had I not read this. However, if this is true, I'll probably pre-order from a source from which the devs will get the most cash.
Hopefully, this design ideal will start something of a trend!

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
ReiverCorrupter said:
WarpCode said:
Did hell freeze over? An EA exec stating its better to design for the PC and port to the 360/PS3? Never thought I would hear those words since most of Execs like to state that PC gaming is dead or dying.

As an avid PC gamer if I had no other reason to buy BF3, this right here is plenty of reason for me to buy it.
The thing is that Battlefield is one of the bastions of PC gaming, so that's probably why they're favoring the PC: they don't want to piss off their base. Console gamers don't give a crap as long as we end up with a good game in the end. The whole PC gamer inferiority complex will end when PCs and consoles start becoming the same thing, as all of our electronics will. Frankly I'm surprised consoles still exist. Their whole point was that you can hook them up to your TV. Now you can do that with your PC too, so the only difference is that you only have to buy a console every 5 years or so and don't have to worry about it otherwise.
That and the fact that while owned by EA, DICE are still sort of a seperate studio, and a god damned PC studio at that!! :D

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Trafs said:
Awexsome said:
Frankly - if there's any justice in the world - it should.

Well, I would have waited and bought this game cheaply in a Steam Sale or something had I not read this. However, if this is true, I'll probably pre-order from a source from which the devs will get the most cash.
Hopefully, this design ideal will start something of a trend!
Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite ? a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes ? are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so. *from Wikipedia.