DICE: FPS Genre Lacks Innovation

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Battlefield: Other worlds

You have a wide variety of classes akin to Team Fortress 2 and each class is a different Alien (One class is human), two different sides and a shit load of places to fight. Each alien provides different abilities and such.
Could call it Battlefield: A New Frontier or something like that. I quite like this is idea, but would these alien races play vastly differently? Or would it be more like a traditional class sytem but with each class being visually represented by a unique race?

I was thinking of a fps that combines with a POP style freerunning mechanic. So, you'd move around in 3rd person and melee combat might possibly be 3rd person, but you'd go into first person to aim. The emphasis would stop being on use of cover (as it is with pretty much every modern fps) and instead be on keeping mobile to avoid becoming a target.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I would have just posted "nope" if the escapist weren't such sticklers for posts without content, so...

honestly, they're either just going to keep introducing more random stuff to their main attraction leading to feature bloat (like pokemon, but without the range for lateral development unless they have some sort of revolutionary realization) or they're going to screw up a bunch of times like the other battlefield spinoffs

frankly, i'm surprised that they haven't figured this out yet, being the firsthand witnesses of their own spectacle

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
someonehairy-ish said:
Terminate421 said:
Battlefield: Other worlds

You have a wide variety of classes akin to Team Fortress 2 and each class is a different Alien (One class is human), two different sides and a shit load of places to fight. Each alien provides different abilities and such.
Could call it Battlefield: A New Frontier or something like that. I quite like this is idea, but would these alien races play vastly differently? Or would it be more like a traditional class sytem but with each class being visually represented by a unique race?

I was thinking of a fps that combines with a POP style freerunning mechanic. So, you'd move around in 3rd person and melee combat might possibly be 3rd person, but you'd go into first person to aim. The emphasis would stop being on use of cover (as it is with pretty much every modern fps) and instead be on keeping mobile to avoid becoming a target.
I was thinking totally differently. One race could jump higher, another has the ability to "droidika" it up by rolling around etc.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I was thinking totally differently. One race could jump higher, another has the ability to "droidika" it up by rolling around etc.
The second bit was a non-related idea. I can't see jumping higher as being much on an advantage in a battlefield type game. At best it might let you get onto a better sniping platform or something. A race that can wall or ceiling crawl could be interesting though. As for the droideka thing... that could be cool? What advantage would it actually offer though? Would you move faster or be tougher orrrr?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
someonehairy-ish said:
Terminate421 said:
The second bit was a non-related idea. I can't see jumping higher as being much on an advantage in a battlefield type game. At best it might let you get onto a better sniping platform or something. A race that can wall or ceiling crawl could be interesting though. As for the droideka thing... that could be cool? What advantage would it actually offer though? Would you move faster or be tougher orrrr?
Those were just off of the top of my head. You get the idea though.

I would guess that would work for innovation, but I believe that DICE will stick to its guns for the next battlefield (Probobly 2143)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
this guy ....

is fucking IDIOT.

his 'innovative' answer .... is better graphics, really ....

.... just .... what .... dose he even know what 'innovation' means? cause I'm thinking he doesn't

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
mindlesspuppet said:
Shakura Jolithion said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Maybe the limitations of a controller versus mouse and keyboard are simply becoming more and more painfully apparent as time goes on which in turn leads to a genre that is nearly stagnant...

*prepares for incoming rage*
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's limitations so much as major differences (unless you need a humongous amount of quick-keys, in the case of which yeah, limitations galore)... But I do agree there's definitely some things a keyboard will let you do with a game that a controller wont (example: games with about 40 controls by default).
I was thinking more of the accuracy and speed of a mouse versus controller. Everything in modern FPSs is designed around the controller; cover systems, enemy placement, movement speed is all strategically calculated to compensate for a controller's short comings as a pointing device.

Many of the AAA console FPSs that get ported to PC are pretty laughable. There are moments that are clearly meant to be intense, but simply fail because of different aiming systems. Because of these limitations the gameplay of FPS can't really deviate too far, there have been attempts, like Brink, but even it just fell in the same trapping of every modern FPS.

I'm really not trying to stir anything up. I love my 360 controller which I use with my PC. I probably use it as much as, if not more than, my keyboard+mouse for games.
I agree with this too, and I like to use the pad as it allows me to relax on the sofa or bed which I can't do the same with a m&k. It's really good for 3rd person shooters, however analog sticks and the low sensitivity really hampers non coridoor, non cover fps games

That's why i've been pinning my hopes on the WiiUs touchpad, I just hope somebody will actually make a good FPS that doesn't have gimicky motion controls in it. Atm it's starting to look like the WiiU will just be like the Wii with only Nintendo and Ubisoft fully supporting it, which is a damn shame considering all the great things that controller could give us, if only a good PC/ ex PC developer supported the platform.

Anyway I just hope FPS devs could gives us a bit of gameplay innovation in future games as achievements, rpg levels, badges and all that other Farmville gamification crap is a pretty dire way of keeping us interested in one FPS over the next

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
That's nice, lets see you do something. Anyone can come up with good PR by saying what gamers want to hear.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Games don't need innovation, they need to make money. All this guy is doing is hanging a lantern on the obvious.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Says the people making Battlefield?

Get back to Mirror's Edge 2.
Be the change you want to see in the world DICE.

Falling_v1legacy

No one of consequence
Nov 3, 2009
Dunno if it's innovative or not, but I absolutely adore Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars. I don't particularly like FPS, but it's absolutely hilarious trying to reload muskets without getting stabbed by bayonets or marching into battle with naught but a drum or a fife. :) Or worrying about getting all your shot wet by wading into too deep water.

All those limitations (plus limited precise range) you'd think would make a terribly frustrating game, but I find it absolutely refreshing and funny.

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
this guy ....

is fucking IDIOT.

.... just .... what .... dose he even know what 'innovation' means? cause I'm thinking he doesn't
I'm pretty sure that's not what he's saying. He's saying that people won't play a game without good graphics, which is depressingly true.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
mariofan1000 said:
Lunar Templar said:
this guy ....

is fucking IDIOT.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he's saying. He's saying that people won't play a game without good graphics, which is depressingly true.
well....
he works for EA
and works for DICE, so I'm thinking, is IS talking about just making things prettier.

sides even if he was talking about actual innovation, he's all talk anyway, the next game from them will be a slightly better looking copy/paste of battle field 3

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
A shooter is only limited by the technology available it the period of time in which it is set, Near future/ Future shooters allow the designers to you use their imagination more, which would lead to more interesting weapons and mechanics, which is what is REALLY needed for shooters these days.

EDIT: Im pretty sure that everyone is bored with the generic AK-47 and M16 ect, where are the Jetpacks and the gauss cannons?

LordReaver

Jul 13, 2010
universaltraveller said:
LordReaver said:
PlanetSide 2

That is all you need to know...
Nah, not planetside, but DUST 514!

Also, why do I never see that game really mentioned on this site?
Dust has nothing on PlanetSide 2. It's just a normal shooter with tie-ins to EVE. Only 64 people per map. PlanetSide is an MMOFPS (the only REAL MMOFPS!). Which supported 133 vs. 133 vs. 133 (400 players!) on a single 8km x 8km map. PlanetSide 2 will up that to 666 vs. 666 vs. 666 (2000 players!!!). This is no joke, there are no instances, or any form of division. You can literally have all 2000 people into one spot all shooting at each other. As I said before... Dust has nothing on PlanetSide 2

You don't hear about PlanetSide, because it's so beyond what people think a video game is capable of doing. Unlike games like COD or even Dust, there is no real way to explain what it's like to play PlanetSide. It's one of those things where it doesn't always dawn on you how awesome it truly is until you have actually experienced it.

PlanetSide 2 will be free to play. So even if you don't want to believe me now, you should at least check it out when it releases (no release date as of this post).