Dice: Games That Require a 64-bit OS are Incoming

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
gigastar said:
ASnogarD said:
A bit silly to say the least, as the consoles aint 64bit ( at least the 360 isnt ), and DICE ( or more to the point , EA ) wont develop a PC only title.
Want to be proven wrong? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generals_2]
That's not really proof. C&C has been more or less a PC only thing and given the fact that games from DICE have developed on mutiplatorms with a console based audiance despite Crysis 1 being a PC exclusive for a while.

Still, I wouldn't hold my breath too long for C&C:gen 2 being a PC exclusive.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Well I'm running 64bit so its all good. Hope the rest of my hardware keeps up though.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
I'll believe it when I see it. The issue has never been the user base. The issue with 64-bit games has been a lot of legacy code Casts(converts) 64bit addresses into 32bit integers. Basically making it so any number that is over 31/32 bits converts to negative to to 0. If they've finally got their act together and cleaned up their bad coding habits then they should have 64bit apps available. It's been embarrassing that the Downloadable games don't have two version. One 64bit and one 32bit but If you code poorly then you can't do that. 64bit can give you a 20% performance boost, not just added ram capacity.

Matthew94 said:
Doom-Slayer said:
FargoDog said:
I'm still running Windows Vista 32-bit with 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I'm definitely going to upgrade to 7 at some point soon but a RAM upgrade would be such a hassle >.<
Eeeeew...I had 8gb of DDR3, upgraded it to 16GB for giggles haha. Only cost me like $70. Its definably worth the step up though, load times go soooo much faster. Skyrim loads in like..10 seconds for me.
More RAM won't improve loading times, you seem to be under the placebo effect if I may say so.

Why not get an SSD if you want fast loading times? Prices are crashing.
Says the person who doesn't know how to make a ram disk ;P

You're right though about Doom-Slayer. Going from 8gigs to 16gigs will have ZERO effect on Skyrim. One version has a 2 Gig limit because it is a 32 bit app using a signed integer to keep track of memory, and the other has a 4 Gig limit because it is a 32 bit app using an Unsigned integer to keep track of memory. There is no 64 bit version.

However, for anyone who has had their game improve performance, I have some 60$ gold platted HDMI cables that will improve your digital audio quality. Your Mp3's will sound 100x better ;p

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
mad825 said:
gigastar said:
ASnogarD said:
A bit silly to say the least, as the consoles aint 64bit ( at least the 360 isnt ), and DICE ( or more to the point , EA ) wont develop a PC only title.
That's not really proof. C&C has been more or less a PC only thing and given the fact that games from DICE have developed on mutiplatorms with a console based audiance despite Crysis 1 being a PC exclusive for a while.

Still, I wouldn't hold my breath too long for C&C:gen 2 being a PC exclusive.
From this post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114681-BioWare-Tackles-Strategy-with-Command-Conquer-Generals-2]...

At least they've said that Generals 2 will be PC exclusive. I'm glad most sane game developers have realized that RTS will just never work on consoles - unless Kinect voice commands get a lot better.
So we arent about to see a repeat of the PS3 version of Red Alert 3.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
gigastar said:
ASnogarD said:
Also, almost all current CPU's for sale today (even some of the higher end atom processors) are 64bit CPUs, that does not mean that the operating system or the games are (or need to be) 64 bit, it just means the CPU could support them if they were.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, good thing i upgraded my pc last month. but i still will not get any DICE games because it has a ?A logo on it. and i stay far away from any games that have ?A written on it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
FargoDog said:
MercurySteam said:
FargoDog said:
I'm still running Windows Vista 32-bit with 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I'm definitely going to upgrade to 7 at some point soon but a RAM upgrade would be such a hassle >.<
Gah, Vista is a terrible OS, but finding DDR2 memory and installing it is fairly straightforward.
Oh it'd be no problem to buy some (even if it does cost like three times more than DDR3) and installing it. I'm just not sure it's worth bumping up my DDR2 or going all out and putting in a new motherboard with DDR3.
It'd be more cost-effective in the long run to make the leap now. RAM is piss cheap right now too, I got 8GB of DDR3 for £40 recently.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
64-bit OS upgrades are the new DVD-Rom drive. People bitched and moaned when developers finally started putting games on a single DVD instead of 4-6 CDs, and the publishers pretty much had to say "Hi! We are sending this message from the 21st century. Please join us if you would like to continue playing games!"

Well? Welcome to the 2010s. Please join us.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Doom-Slayer said:
FargoDog said:
Eeeeew...I had 8gb of DDR3, upgraded it to 16GB for giggles haha. Only cost me like $70. Its definably worth the step up though, load times go soooo much faster. Skyrim loads in like..10 seconds for me.
More RAM won't improve loading times, you seem to be under the placebo effect if I may say so.

Why not get an SSD if you want fast loading times? Prices are crashing.
More RAM can certainly speed up load times if you have enough to set up a RAM disk. But that's probably not what he's talking about.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Doom-Slayer said:
FargoDog said:
I only have 6 GB of RAM and Skyrim loads that fast for me. I don't think you needed that extra 8 GB of RAM. I don't think Skyrim even uses more than 4 GB and that's after the patch that let it use more than 2 GB.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Here the statistics on from steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

I just upgraded to 64-bit back in January. I had no clue just how old my last computer really was, and it never really seemed old until I upgraded.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Bah, my 4 year old computer has been able to run every single game that's come out since I got it without a single upgrade.

To upgrade it now would feel........wrong.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Windows 8 is coming out in only a 64-bit version, as far as I remember. So, as long as you upgrade when it works, or get a new computer, all will be good.

I see DICE's point, and I'm totally with them, however, I do think that we need to upgrade the console's first, so that they can match the current PC tech levels. The PS3 only has 256MB of RAM, and that actually is starting to cause problems. Serious Sam 3 is currently unable to be ported easily, because of the RAM problems. The reason Battlefield 3 can have more players in a match on PC is because of the RAM.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I have 64 bit Windows 7, although I'm on a laptop with the i3 processor and 4.0 on graphics, so I doubt those games will be going anywhere near it.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Dice can talk about advances when it can get it's games to run smoothly on current technology.