Did anyone love ME3?

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Honestly, I think the first two Mass Effects are probably among the greatest games in this generation of consoles. And I don't think Mass Effect 3 stands up to those two at all. It's in the little things, such as planet scanning (which feels like they just stripped down the scanning in ME2) or the side quests (picking most of them up by overhearing others talking) or the weird running away from Reapers mini-game.

It feels like it has more jank than should be present in such a beloved (and well-funded) franchise. And that's not taking into account the ending, which left a lot of players just scratching their heads. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but I feel like this franchise should have ended on a better note. But it was never a question of whether or not I would get it. I was so heavily invested in the first two games that of course I wanted to see it through.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
What basically everyone up there is saying, the game was absolutely fantastic, up until a certain elevator arrived. Before that, I laughed, I cried, I felt like a badass saving the galaxy. This game exceeded my expectations, but as Yahtzee has said before, the ending is what everyone remembers about a game. And that ending was shit
Emiscary said:
And let me be clear: this ending is a rotten sardine. It's not "divisive", it's not "controversial" or "memorable" either. It's bad. I don't need to argue that point, the proof is in the pudding.
Oh come now, it is very memorable, in -exactly- the same way a rotten sardine would be. Bioware seems to think that never forgetting the taste of a rotten Sardine is a good thing.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Well it's the only game to date to make me tear up, and it did it twice.
When mordin goes up the tower and the cutscene after and then when thane dies. Didn't tear up when Legion sacrificed himself though but I was sad, very sad.
So yeah it's good.
Love the banter between crew members and seeing tali drunk and other stuff like that. Disappointed by the lack of conversation you get to have with the crew though compared to 1 and 2.
Combat is great, plant scanning is better but it still sucks ass. (honestly I prefer the damn mako).
So yeah, play the game.

My only real gripe with the game is the AWESOME BUTTON WHICH DOES FUCKING EVERYTHING. SERIOUSLY WHY CAN'T I MAKE MY OWN SEPARATE FUCKING BINDS FOR SPRINTING, TAKING COVER AND USING SHIT. The amount of times I've rolled when I want to take cover, taken cover when I want to use and rolled when I want to fucking sprint is ridiculous. It's not exactly game breaking, but it's infuriating. I'd rather have the old planet scanning, except you do it from the ground in a mako then this 1 button shit.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
As many have said before me and many will say after: It is great until the ending. Nuff' said.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
YuheJi said:
On a side note did anyone not headbutt that reporter on the Citadel?
I absolutely did not! Head butting a civilian? My Shepard is a professional, not some mindless vorcha.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Oh, and you can bet your ass I headbutted Khalisa (sp?). She's a figurehead for everything wrong with mass media. Personally I was hoping she'd show up in ME3 wearing a neckbrace after the second time I cleaned her clock following my cybernetic augmentations.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Youma said:
I bought ME3 based on the escapist's recommendation, and I'm disapointed to say the least. I used to rely on the escapist not to tell me a game is great when it isn't. But maybe it's just my opinion, and they haven't started whoring themselves after all, so if you agree with the reviewer that "holy crap, this game is outstanding", please let me know.
As I'd imagine a number of other responders have pointed out: the game itself is absolutely amazing, at least that's what the general consensus is around the forum. It's the ending, though, that has most people saying ruined the rest of the games and the series in general.

The game itself is a solid improvement on the ME series as a whole. Better combat, a perfected weapon system (unique weapons with a large selection but not so large that most of the guns become obsolete and worthless), and a powerful and well put together story. Buuuuut then there's the ending which flubbs up the game and has become quite well known for inducing bouts of nerd-rage.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
I absolutely loved Mass Effect 3. It's the best of the series in gameplay and story. Hell I even loved the endings even though they leave you with a few unanswered questions.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
The first 99.99% of the game is pure awesome. Too bad about that last 0.01% though...

But seriously, the bulk of the game is exactly the epic fight for the galaxy's survival that the first two games were building up to.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
The game is great and it exceeded my expectations. They've done a great job with the game. The combat has improved a lot and there are many really good scenes in the game, scenes which made me feel emotions that I haven't felt in a while with games. There are also many little things which I like, like the interactions between the characters themselves.
And those are just a few things which i liked about the game. I'm not sure what to think about the ending but the last 15min won't change a great 40+hour experience.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Best game I ever played. Or at least my all time favourite. Loved everything, including the ending. Got emotional plenty of times throughout, and the combat, dialogue and general story are pretty much perfected.

In time, when a lot of people have calmed down about the ending, I think this game is going to become one of those all time classics.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Anyway, I did not really like the ending, although the alternate theory significantly improves it. The rest of the game was pure golden though.
So yes, the lackluster ending does not nullify the absolute joy I had playing the game and it fully met my expectations and more. It has some of the most heartbreaking and heartwarming moments I've ever seen and it vastly improved on a lot of things that the prequel was missing.

Overall an excellent and, even though it doesn't mean anything, a definite GOTY contender.

SurfinTaxt said:
Allevil said:
Until the last 5 minutes, it was the single greatest gaming experience of my life.
great, what will be the second game youve played in your life?
It's stupid comments like these that make me wonder where we went wrong with this site.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I wouldn't as far as "love", I would go with "Its alright, maybe even good" but then I'm not that far into it judging by the trophies I haven't got.

Something that has bugged me is the way that they keep "killing" characters, only for them to be ok.

*SPOILERS* (beause I don't know how to do spoiler tags)

For example, "oh no, they've killed Kaiden...no, no he's going to be ok. Oh no, Kasume's been blown up...no, no she was just faking it. Oh no, Grunt has just sacraficed himself...oh for fuck sake."

*END OF SPOILERS*

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
I do. Heck, I can honestly say it's the first console game with an online multilayer I genuinely LIKE! That ALONE earns mad props from me.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Emiscary said:
And let me be clear: this ending is a rotten sardine. It's not "divisive", it's not "controversial" or "memorable" either. It's bad. I don't need to argue that point, the proof is in the pudding. IE: if the majority of your audience's reaction upon completing the game is to stare at you blankly and wait patiently for an explanation whilst trying to make sense of it among themselves- then (pardon my french) you don ****ed up.
Nope. Opinions are opinions are subjective are opinions, no matter what the majority thinks. And we don't even know what the majority thinks, the people complaining might just be a really vocal minority. If you think it's bad, good for you, no one can say you're wrong because you're not, but you're not right either.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Most of the 'hate' has been all about the ending. I seriously love the rest of the game. and if the rumors about the ending being a place holder cause of time issues is true Then it will be 100% love. But yes I love the rest of the game, I love seeing all my old squadmates. and * spoilers spoilers spoilers* I cried when Mordin died curing the genophage. And again when Thane lay dieing as I and Kolat read from a prayer book. Legion's self sacrifice, the little mails about how some of my decisions turned out from before. Like Aresh from jack's loyalty mission giving his life to allow refugee's to get away. How Kal'reeger and a squad of marines died holding a comm station.

I do not hate ME3 I like many was just upset at the ending. But as time goes on their is more and more evidence that that rage was misplaced. If that turns out to be true then great. But I have spent 3 games getting to know these characters and I don't hate 95% of what happens. Hell when I *SPOILERS* found the Rachni queen I agonized over my choice I had known so many of the Krogan fought and bleed next to them.... ultimately I couldn't sacrifice their lives. That was a hard choice and the fact that I agonized over it means that Bioware succeeded in making me care. It was a hard choice but I stand by it....If I ever play threw it again I'm gonna see if I can go the other way.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Although I enjoyed it, I personally felt that it was the weakest in the series. To me, the beginning and end were meh, while the middle was great.

Now this is because I personally rate the first and second games very high. I personally would've wanted ME1's RPG stuff, like random drop weapons, armor, mods and the large skill tree coupled with ME2 combat. Though ME3 was fairly close, it still fell flat as far as the RPG elements go. Skills, though expanded from the second game, were still too simplified for my taste and weapon/armour customization was still far too restrictive.

That's my opinion, but I'm one of those guys who likes micromanaging gear, stats and inventory.