Did games ever made you feel...emotions ?

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Even though I disliked her, I felt a pang of guilt when Miranda didn't make it out of the suicide mission in ME2. She was the only one to die, and I felt it was because I was more distanced from her than any other character. I failed to maintain her loyalty when she was arguing with jack, and I sorta knew before I started the mission that she wouldn't make it. I left the collector base with a heavy heart that day.

Also, I think I genuinely fell in love with Tali.

I was totally blown away in RDR when I crossed the border into Mexico to find Javier Esquella, and there was an unscripted thunderstorm (and the weather effects in RDR are amazing) while "Far Away" played. I was like, "Woah. Holy shit."

The end of Portal 2 was amazing. Possibly the most bittersweet ending to any game ever, with singing turrets to enhance the strange, uncomfortable sadness. It made me feel kind of depressed; Chell finally makes it out of Aperture to find a vast field with nobody left in the world but herself...and the companion cube. And poor Wheatly; he was a good little AI that got corrupted by power...he didn't deserve to be spaced and stuck with the space core for eternity.

inFAMOUS 2's good ending...I cried. I really did. I actually felt tears roll down my cheek, and I NEVER cry from fiction. NEVER. But inFAMOUS 2 did it for me.

Sorry for spoiling anything to anyone, but you should have already played these games anyway.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
Damn internal server error. Let's try this post again.

Nier. No one else has mentioned Nier! The ending made me tear up a little, in all honesty. All 4 of them, each one getting even more bleak than the last. And that scene with Emil. Wow. Mediocre gameplay through and through, but excellent story and so well acted.

The Kingdom Hearts series is a continuing chain of depression hooked together with the odd moment of joy. And I love it.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
White Deer said:
When I played Bioshock for the fist time I was afraid to walk out of the bathysphere because I thought that the splicer who attacked it was still there.
yeah, me too. really that whole intro part and the medical pavilion scared the shit out of me. after that i could shoot fire from my hands and had a rapid fire shotgun with explosive cartridges, so it was much less scary knowing every threat was a couple of shots away from death.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
League of Legends. Anger. Quite often.

Bastion started tugging my heartstrings around the last few missions especially, as well as Beyond Good & Evil.

OpinionOtaku

Oct 16, 2011
I have never even come close to getting emotional over a game. I've played games with great writing behind it (Mass effect) But None of them have ever caused me the slightest emotional twinge.

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
Most of the Legend of Zelda games. There are few games that touch my soft spot as much as they do, and It's not just nostalgia I'm talking about c:

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I find that most games just aren't well-written and well-choreographed enough to make me feel emotions.

Two notable examples that have already been mentioned are The Darkness (the scene where your *blank* gets *blanked* genuinely shocked me in an emotional way) and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (where *blank* gets *blanked* by the *blank* made me literally shed a tear, a first in all the games I've ever played)

Ilja Lyubimov

Oct 15, 2011
YEs, i felt warm and fuzzy inside when my character in Dragon Age told that swamp-twat Morrigan how much of a ***** she is really. Priceless.

And the endings of both Bioshock games kinda made me drop a tear or two...

The Geek Lord

Apr 15, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Lost Odyssey made me feel... emotions. I like the dramatic pause. But only briefly. Games aren't even close to films on tapping into my emotions. ANd probably infinity years away from the written word.
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I've never seen a film that made me feel anything, and it's incredibly rare for me to find a book that even slightly interests me. Mostly because there's always some key word on the back of the book that makes me want to stab a puppy. OH HEY! Nevermind, you're right, books make me want to stab puppies more than video games ever have! (Buh-dum-psh)

Ahum. Mentlegen

So anyway, Tales of the Abyss. I remember one scene in particular that made me cry like a *****[footnote]GOD DAMMIT WHY DO I KEEP FUCKING RHYMING[/footnote]... And if you've ever listened to the protagonist of that game, you'll know how much of an incredible feat it is to make me feel anything more than spite for him. But in fact I never did feel spite for him, not once, in a 50+ hour long game.

(And I remember the ending of Gungrave made me feel happy that someone found a way to make a cutscene playable WITHOUT IT BEING A FUCKING QUICK TIME EVENT. Woo!)

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
The very end of Resistance 2 was pretty good in this respect.

When Capelli shoots Hale and he just says 'Forgive me Sir. It's been an honour.'. I just thought it was fantastically done and it really brought a lump to my throat just because the development between them up to this point was fantastic.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Several games have scared the hell out of me.. Silent Hill, Amnesia (and I've never even played it) and Prenumbra stand out. The one that takes the cake for that however is Thief : Deadly Shadows... The Shalebridge Cradle is the worst level EVER and I really wish I had the patience to replay it to show my wife just how scary and unnerving it is.

A very few games have brought a tear to my eye... Dragon Age 2 when you find your mother, or what is left of her.. that's the only one that actually stands out at the moment.

For the most part the only emotions I feel from games are frustration or a mild sense of happyness when I complete a challenge.

Edit : Oh yes, Heavy Rain deserves a mention for the range of emotions it brought out in me.. however, I struggle to consider it a game.

AlloAllo

Sep 16, 2011
I burst into tears when I saw what Morte and Deionarra went through.

Many other games made me feel, but Planescape: Torment has a special place in my heart.

Oh, and special mention to this ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlEZjOWr63c

Holy shit, people, it's just two NPC talking and yet I feel dead inside.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus made me cry at the ending of the game.

Also the game Braid was really emotional as well.

Almost any Final Fantasy game makes me feel emotional

And Shenmue made me feel emotional. That game was intense

Jan 27, 2011
Shadow of the collosus: *SEE BELOW*

Bioshock: Made me feel helpless and furious when the big twist got delivered

Etrian Oddessey: Fear. When you go after a boss or powerful foe and you think you can take them on...only for them to rape half your party on the first turn...and you realize that somehow your back is to a wall, so escaping is impossible...Yeah, it's scary.

Any fighting game against one very good friend of mine: FRUSTRATION!!!! >: (

Plus, many games have made me feel kind of sad, or filled me with righteous fury. Too many to name.

EDIT: And I'm not even gonna TOUCH Infamous 2 hero ending. There are no words to describe my many emotions throughout that mission. It was beyond incredible.

KillKill said:
Shadow of the Colossus is an obvious one I think. I couldn't help but feel rather guilty every time you kill a colossus
This.

Well...not quite THIS precisely, but...

These were my reactions:
First victory: "Whoooooo...I can't believe I just killed that thing.....this...this is wrong, isn't it?"
Several victories later: "YEAH! I got him...I freakin got him. I. will. not. stop. until she opens her eyes again!"
MANY victories later: "Oh gosh...what have I done...what am I doing....this...this is clearly not right..."
During final boss: *repeatedly does the whistle move* "Hey. You missed. I'm still here. I'm still alive. I'm still coming for you! I know what I'm doing isn't right...but I've come this far. I'm finishing this!"
Ending: *clutches head in hands* "No way....All this effort, all this blood spilled....and it's all for nothing? No...how could-...wait...is..is she moving? ..... :eek: ...Ok, so I'm pretty much dead, but my mission is a success......I'll live with that.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Jadak said:
aquarius87 said:
E
- How many times didn't a game force you to choose between "your" girl and the greater good ? (Alpha Protocol, The Witcher 2 and Mass Effect to name a few)
When does Mass Effect make you choose between "your girl" and the greater good? Sure, you have to make a choice regarding what might be "your girl", but the alternative isn't the greater good, just a whiny man who I was always happy to be rid of.
I liked Kaiden well enough but still, fundamentally +1 to this.

In another Bioware game: I have never felt such frustration as I did in Neverwinter 2 with Bishop. Even the first time through, whenever he'd start insulting someone for opposing the destruction of human civilization I just wanted to tell him "How about I stick your worthless head on a pike so then you won't have to put up with us anymore?"
As you can probably tell, I still feel strongly about it.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Fear : S.T.A.L.K.E.R COP - When your minding your own buisness in the dark, And you hear a bloodsucker breathing D:

Close to tears :HL2 E2 Ending

The Shivers : Final level of Homeworld

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW! - Pulling up in H.A.W.X Microseconds from crashing into the floor :p

Anger : In world in conflict - Every damn time Bannon speaks.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Robo's scene in Chrono Trigger, with those other robots just beating the crap out of him.