Did games ever made you feel...emotions ?

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
MianusIzBleeding said:
Heavy Rain:
Pretty much every major decision by the kidnapped kids father. Especially the bit with the druggie you get ordered to shoot. When he showed me a picture of his children I just couldnt do it :S
I felt no other option but to shoot him, it's the only time a game has left me feeling devastated.

But yeh, Ethan's entire story was full of those sorts of moments, including the one part of a game that has actually made me cry:
That old home-movie you can find in his house when you're still with Jason.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
I know it's pretty pathetic to admit, but I felt great sadness followed by a long (like a week ^^) depression when John Marston died in Red Dead :p Also Mass Effect 2: the final mission just gave me strong feelings of, pride I guess, it was just so epic I was kind of inspired! :p

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Quite a few games have pulled my emotional strings,a few being:

*Dragon Age Origins
*Mass Effect 2
*ending of Medal of Honor
*a few key moments in the Witcher 2.

These are a few that springs to mind.Spoilers were avoided for obvious reasons.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Miles000 said:
I felt slightly bad about killing the Moonlight Butterfly...

That is the closest I have come.
That did hit a nerve for me. Another game would be Heavy Rain, when Ethan gets killed by the police; that gave me a lump in my throat

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
I was actually very attached to Isaac in Dead Space 2. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I was really drawn in the game's story and made an already great game one of my all-time favorites.

Also, Half-life 2 and its episodes. I'm sure you all know why.

Well done horror or action always makes me feel tense; so that's that.

As for making me sad or even cry, I'm not sure a game has done that yet. I will say that a certain event in Bioshock that affects Atlus was very poorly executed and left me staring at the screen like this: http://www.myfacewhen.com/54/

Still, I'm very proud to see how far game stories have progressed in the last 20 years or so. I'm eagerly awaiting the day a game story makes me cry. Manly tears, of course.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
The entire ending cinematic gave me a massive grin.

As for shock, well, the big twist in KoTOR was a big game changer.

Games don't often make me sad. The one obvious exception is Half Life 2 Ep 2

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
Dark Messiah made me feel a variety of emotions due to it being a brilliant game.
STALKER also made me feel sadness about the dangers of man playing God.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I feel awful watching the colossi fall in Shadow of the Colossus. Between the ethereal aesthetic and Koh Otani's reflective score, it's hard not to feel something.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
FFXIII... very sad ending

and now xenoblade
i found myself doing quests not for the sake of xp but simply because i wanted to help the people
it has a strangely high impact on me despite being jrpg

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Kubrick. How could you you heartless woman!?!?!
Hard to feel bad about a character you never meet killing a dog you never saw.

OT: I cried at the end of MGS3. Sadder than any hollywood movie made in the last ten years. DAMN YOU KOJIMAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
We're talking about one of the most important and revolutionary artistic mediums of the last long, long time. Of course. I won't spoil the situations, but to name a few in no particular order:

Halo: Reach
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Beyond Good and Evil
Okami
Heavy Rain
Bioshock
Fatal Frame
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Braid
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
The World Ends With You
Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Lost Odyssey
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Chrono Trigger
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

There are more, but that's a quick list. I love this medium.

Spartan X1

Mar 7, 2011
I cried when (Gears 3 Spoiler) Dom died.
I cried at the end of FF 9
I felt kinda sad at the end of FF 10
In Gears 2 when Dom found Maria, it made me want to destroy the locust.
SO thats my emotional history in games that I can recall at the moment

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Let's see...
Persona 4. Anyone who's played probably knows what I'm referining to.
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger.

Didn't start cryin straight up. But I'd be lieing if I didn't say I had goosebumps.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Dragon age origins, I got really immersed in the dwarf noble origin, thinking "Yeah, I'm gonna be king" executing left and right, winning tournaments that were held in my honour, then Bhelen screws me over, I still hate that guy, I'd kill him a million times over, and what really annoys me is that between him and Harrowmont (the GOOD guy) Bhelen's the better King, the one thing Macbeth in english GCSE taught me is that the rightful, kind king (in this case harrowmont) is the better king, Like Malcolm, and while Bhelen (the usurper ) should be a terrible king like Macbeth was, My revenge is that the dwarves, my characters own people, get a worse fate because he killed Bhelen

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
The ending of GTA 4 The lost and damned, was kind touching, I won't spoil it, but with the music and everything, it was very sad.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
I had a moment of rage earlier today when my fiancée made me her ***** in Super Street Fighter 4. Damn her Blanka skills. >_<

I had a moment of bitter-sweet sadness when I finished Mafia 2. First I felt sad because of the ending, and then I felt sad because the game was only ~10 hours.

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
As those before me, Portal 2 ending. Brilliant send off really. That and whenever Glados went all weird at Johnson's voice slowly figuring it out, which got me pretty good too... almost made me forget what an insane sadisdic thing she is.

Final Fantasy XIII had a few bits, Snow digging at Serah's crystal, Hope about to attack Snow and Vanille begging to be killed.

The death-by-nuke bit in COD 4, having to drag yourself out of a helicopter after was nasty but quite saddening too, put every other action into perspective especially with having saved the helicopter lass minutes before.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Persona 4 when you get a bit into a Social Link with Nanako(around rank 5 or so). She asks the MC (aka you) what it means to be "real" because shes watching a documentary in which a son is looking for his real father. You can respond by saying "A person you love a lot", "Always by your side", or "Related to you by blood". Nanako then says:

"But I don't think Dad really loves me. Maybe...maybe I'm not "real" to him? Daddy doesn't come home because I'm not his "real" daughter?"

She is only about six years old when she says this.

My God, I wanted to reach into the TV and hug the hell out of that little girl. Oh, and the obvious events that take place in November/December of course.

Nier on a second playthrough. Felt very depressed about the whole thing. Those that played it know why.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. I wasn't exactly expecting a happy ending considering this game's place in the timeline, but jeez. Those last 20 days or so you really feel the sadness. Then the ending happens, you remember the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2, and it all becomes much, much worse.

Also Heavy Rain when you're Ethan and have to explain to the Cops the nature of when an event took place. I couldn't remember a single damn detail, and felt absolutely horrible.

Those are the only things I can remember off the top of my head.