Did Mass Effect Steal It's Story Outright?!

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
As a basic rule, everything came from something else, some a little more than others. From what I have seen this is especially true for Sci-Fi these days.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Nice necro there!

But yeah, if it gets more people to read the amazing Revelation Space series I'm all for putting this thread back up on the front page.

I've read that book maybe 4 times and yes there are similarities but the entire universe is so completely different it's not even relatable. The biggest difference being there aren't any actual alien civilizations and interstellar travel isn't possible in the Revelation Space universe.

I enjoy both that universe and the Mass Effect one.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
I highly doubt that when the reapers are destroyed there will be some other race of machines that malfunction and turn every planet into billions of habitable domes.

Edit: oh fuck necro thread

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
runningBot said:
Did Mass Effect Steal It's Story Outright?!

- No.

Source: Over 300hrs played in ME and ME2. Read "Revelation Space" & "Chasm City".
Did you have to necro a two year old thread just to say that?
I know! Goddamn. But it's another thing to piss off people that preordered ME3. That should be good for a laugh.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Isn't it funny how some forum users complain about be necroing old threads. While others complain when someone makes a new thread for a topic when there's already an old one.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
Isn't it funny how some forum users complain about be necroing old threads. While others complain when someone makes a new thread for a topic when there's already an old one.
There's a difference between using the common thread that is days old, and summoning up a thread from nearly two years ago.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Ian Caronia said:
So I was reading up on the "JRPG's aren't RPGs" bullshit when I came across a Kotaku member that mentioned how Mass Effect was a work of outright plagiarism. They name-dropped a novel called "Revelation Space", and I just had to see if this was true. No way was the game I held in such high regard a work of plagiarism.

It is.

At first glance, there's only a few similarities between the two. Archeologists studying a 900,000 year old dead race that left behind tons of tech and was killed by a single cataclysm, tech-enhanced humans fucking with colonies, grotesque deformed monsters born from mutated tech-enchanced human (slightly resembles husks the way they describe it in the summary)...

But then I happened across the crux of the novel, the whole point laid bare, and I shat a brick...

"As Sylveste [Main character & archeologist] and the crew of the Nostalgia for Infinity [tech-enhanced humans] approach Cerberus [a planet, not the organization], Sylveste realizes the massive celestial body isn't a planet at all -- but rather, a massive technological beacon, aimed at alerting machine sentience to the appearance of new star-faring cultures. It is this beacon, Sylveste belatedly realizes, that alerted a machine intelligence known as the Inhibitors to the presence of the Amarantin [the protheans in this case], and ultimately caused the demise of that race."

Fuck me, mate. This novel's pretty renoun in the UK, listed as a collectible being a first in a series of Revelation Space novels. Surely I don't have to point out the copy-paste plot here, right? Oh, and the novel was published in 2000.

Link to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space
Everything except that last bit is fairly generic sci-fi fare, and completely unsurprising.

That last bit... is surprising.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
crudus said:
Lion King outright stole their story from a Japanese animated movie(who stole their story from Macbeth)

The original story was Kimba the White Lion. Should Disney be sued?....yes actually, but they weren't! (Simba's early depictions were even of him being white)
And maybe next time you can give some props to the website you ripped off for your post. CRACKED FOR-EVAH MUTHA-FORGETA'!!!! Yeah, FOUR exclamation points. Suck on those punctuation pickles.

Everytime I get a Captcha error, I'm like: "I'm not an archaeolinguist you stupid machine!"

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
Sorry dude, I'm really not seeing it. In both the case of the novel and Mass Effect these just sound like an arrangement of commonly used tropes from science fiction.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Considering that Bioware flat-out told everyone that Mass Effect's story and universe is a collective throwback to a number of Sci-Fi tropes and shows, that isn't very surprising.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Salad Is Murder said:
And maybe next time you can give some props to the website you ripped off for your post. CRACKED FOR-EVAH MUTHA-FORGETA'!!!! Yeah, FOUR exclamation points. Suck on those punctuation pickles.
A. That was a two year old post you decided to quote. I don't even remember writing it.
2. That post was written at 1 am. I get tired at 1 am and tend to not do as much editting that needs to be done with each post. I don't just mean spelling and grammar. I mean making sure my sources are correct, the facts from those sources are correct which takes more sources, and of course making sure my point is clear and concise. Except I don't do any of that since I am not in high school anymore. It is true that I try to make all of my posts with quality thought (etc), it just doesn't happen (consistently) at 1 am.
C. Why does it matter?

boag said:
endtherapture said:
Mass Effect stole it's plot from Knights of the Old Republic actually.

Except half way through the game, instead of Revan, it's Reapers.
I agree with this statment, went to play KOTOR after PLaying ME 1 and I was surprised at how similar they both were.
They are both Science Fiction, what do you want? How much different can they be? Science Fiction is just a setting. The story elements are going to be the exact same(unless the entire conflict is a self-conflict). Let's not forget they are both Bioware games!

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
crudus said:
A. That was a two year old post you decided to quote. I don't even remember writing it.
2. That post was written at 1 am. I get tired at 1 am and tend to not do as much editting that needs to be done with each post. I don't just mean spelling and grammar. I mean making sure my sources are correct, the facts from those sources are correct which takes more sources, and of course making sure my point is clear and concise. Except I don't do any of that since I am not in high school anymore. It is true that I try to make all of my posts with quality thought (etc), it just doesn't happen (consistently) at 1 am.
C. Why does it matter?
There is no statute of limitations in the courtroom of his honor, Ed Lolington.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So this is like the tenth thread I have seen necro'd in the last week. I must ask, "What's the fine for necromancy on the Escapist?"