Did Not Do The Research

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
mrblakemiller said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Anytime in scifi where they're going FTL, and suddenly they decide to stop. No one is wearing a seatbelt, and they come to a complete stop. How the balls are they not smeared across the wall like bugs on a windshield? "Inertial Dampeners!" they claim.

Inertia does not work that way!
Wait, if you could "dampen" inertia (and we're talking Sci-Fi, so, yeah, you can, because they say so) then why wouldn't that work? I'm legitimately asking as I no longer remember the basics of inertia and the other concepts of physics in play here. I read a book on the science of Star Trek that, IIRC, seemed to think minimizing inertia would have worked.
Because it's responsive to it's mass and acceleration. But, more importantly, when a large mass is filled with lots of little masses and changes it's velocity abruptly, the smaller objects within usually maintain the original velocity. Think of a tissue box unsecured in your car when you slam on the brakes, and the tissue box keeps moving. Even if the velocity is arrested, the forces involved to counter it would be tremendous on the individual small masses within.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Midgeamoo said:

These people. I feel my IQ being sapped into my computer screen every time it plays.

I... I...

oh god.

I think I just felt my brain falling out of my eyes.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
A few things...

1. People I know who absolutely think that 300 is historically accurate. Really...
In a way, it is. The story there is EXACTLY what the greeks would have told. Monsters, valiant fighters despite extreme outnumbering... History is written by the victor. Not that they... Really won in the end.

Back OT: Wikipedia's list of common misconceptions, basically. It's got a LOT.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
TheSilverTeen said:
Obviously... Video Related.
At first I thought you were someone who was asking for help because you didn't research something.
ANYTHING to do with computers, computer programs, games or whatever, are so batshit retarded in those shows, I'm offended by it. The less they say about it the better...

The exposition scenes, where some supposed computer whiz explains what is happening, are so unnecessary it makes it even worse.

- "Mr. Director, I think we need to show the audience what is happening, otherwise they might feel we are pulling the plot turner out of our arses"

- "You're right, I'll do up a scene with the sole purpose of info bombing the audiance, so they aren't feeling left out or stupid"

- "Want me to start some research?"

- "Nah, just pull some pigeon techno babble out of your arse, audience is too stupid to tell".

That's how I imagine most of the premier shows today are made... and it infuriates me sometimes.
i'm going to agree there. i hate all the stuff that they do.
i only know one person who watches NCIS.
my grandmother who cant use a mouse. to click. which is probably why she likes it.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
TheSilverTeen said:
Obviously...
What else to say but "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!" o_O

Aleol said:
Swords, Swords and swords. Nobody seems to understand how longswords work; even though they clearly have two sharp edges and a pointy end, most people think their heavy club-like metal sticks. Seriously? Also, katanas are seriously overrated.
Notice also how swords-like items never get dull / need to get sharpened ? Gotta love those infinite-ammo plot devices.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Spectral Dragon said:
amaranth_dru said:
A few things...

1. People I know who absolutely think that 300 is historically accurate. Really...
In a way, it is. The story there is EXACTLY what the greeks would have told. Monsters, valiant fighters despite extreme outnumbering... History is written by the victor. Not that they... Really won in the end.

Back OT: Wikipedia's list of common misconceptions, basically. It's got a LOT.
Oh no, I agree totally thats the way it may have been told... but regardless I'm not talking about that at all. Its the same thing as people who take "based on a true story" as "this is the way it really happened". Hollywood dramatizes real life events sometimes to the point of absurdity, and while that can make a good movie out of otherwise boring events I still can't understand how people don't get the idea that its not the way it really happened.
And having said that, those people I know who think 300 was real actually think it was REAL. No joke.

AlloAllo

Sep 16, 2011
The most egregious example of not doing the research? A topic from this forum, about scientist in trial in Italy.

There is a bloody context around it, you know. I know that you want to point and laugh, but if you maybe, I don't know, listened to the people that are giving you the fucking context you'd notice that while it's still wrong, it isn't as stupid as you make it sound.

You fucking bunch of ignorant, annoying, know-it-all little shits.

...Sorry. It's just... if it was simply people not knowing I would accept it. But this is people completely ignoring that there are guys telling them that it's not as easy because it's just funnier saying "they're stupid LOL" and "religious fucks".

In funnier and surely less flame inducing thoughts: everything that has to do with internet in a tv show.

Oh- Psychiatrist/Psychologist. THOSE ARE NOT SYNONYMS.

You try to go to a psychologist to treat your schizophrenia, and see if the psychiatrist doesn't laugh you out his office when you ask him help because you feel guilty when you're with your family.

Also, just because a guy went to a psychiatric hospital, it doesn't mean that he's a nutjob waiting to murder your family with an icepick, you know.

Oh, and what is it with the whole "plead insanity, it's basically like going free" thing? Dude, you're a sane guy that's going to live with crazy people. Not "I have a breakdown" crazy- "I think I have to eat people's face to satisfy my blood god" crazy. Yeah, good luck with that.
Wait, you say that you're sane so the doctors will let you go in a couple of months? No, dear- they'll just think that you're delusional and that you can't accept your illness. And when you'll play by their game and go "yep, I'm sick all right" then the real treatment will begin.
Oh, and the drugs. Do you think that taking that kind of medicines is a joke? Your brain is going to get FRIED. And when you'll stop taking them, you'll go through withdrawal and you'll have mood changes.

But at least you're not going to get RAPED, uh? Yeah, I'm sure that criminally insane people just don't think about that stuff.

Mar 29, 2008
Some of my favorite incorrect facts concern smoking cigarettes.
1) The first puff is the harmful one, all the others are fine.
2) Smoking past the logo line on a cigarette is how people die from smoking related illness, hence the term "cancer line."

Not making this up, I've run across these from people from different countries, social circles, etc. I've even seen bar fights start as a result of a lively debate over which camp of retards is right.

Spectral Dragon said:
Yopaz said:
Spectral Dragon said:
*snip*
Denamic said:
*snip*
Although I think crystallines have a bit more fleeting temperatures for melting/boiling etc. But for reasonable temeratures, it's always solid. It is a bit misleading that you say that it forms an intricate network, given that it has no proper structure. It's fairly random.
Oh, and the nitpicker in me wants to add that you forgot plasma. :p
Pretty much all of my chemistry text books (the same classes that would complete a chemistry BS if that were my major) leave out plasma as a state of matter, or throw it in as a sidebar and thus refer to the 3 states of matter. Its really not something to nitpick, yes plasma is pretty cool and has some fun properties and uses, not really a standard matter phase as it takes some pretty extreme conditions to get there. Though the main thing, the definition of a crystalline structure is one of a repeated orderly pattern so I'm not sure where you get the no proper structure comment. Also, with the behavior of electrons and various types of bonds in crystalline structures can pretty aptly be described as an intricate network while it may not be the best term I don't think its really incorrect.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
AlloAllo said:
The most egregious example of not doing the research? A topic from this forum, about scientist in trial in Italy.

There is a bloody context around it, you know. I know that you want to point and laugh, but if you maybe, I don't know, listened to the people that are giving you the fucking context you'd notice that while it's still wrong, it isn't as stupid as you make it sound.

You fucking bunch of ignorant, annoying, know-it-all little shits.

...Sorry. It's just... if it was simply people not knowing I would accept it. But this is people completely ignoring that there are guys telling them that it's not as easy because it's just funnier saying "they're stupid LOL" and "religious fucks".

In funnier and surely less flame inducing thoughts: everything that has to do with internet in a tv show.

Oh- Psychiatrist/Psychologist. THOSE ARE NOT SYNONYMS.

You try to go to a psychologist to treat your schizophrenia, and see if the psychiatrist doesn't laugh you out his office when you ask him help because you feel guilty when you're with your family.

Also, just because a guy went to a psychiatric hospital, it doesn't mean that he's a nutjob waiting to murder your family with an icepick, you know.

Oh, and what is it with the whole "plead insanity, it's basically like going free" thing? Dude, you're a sane guy that's going to live with crazy people. Not "I have a breakdown" crazy- "I think I have to eat people's face to satisfy my blood god" crazy. Yeah, good luck with that.
Wait, you say that you're sane so the doctors will let you go in a couple of months? No, dear- they'll just think that you're delusional and that you can't accept your illness. And when you'll play by their game and go "yep, I'm sick all right" then the real treatment will begin.
Oh, and the drugs. Do you think that taking that kind of medicines is a joke? Your brain is going to get FRIED. And when you'll stop taking them, you'll go through withdrawal and you'll have mood changes.

But at least you're not going to get RAPED, uh? Yeah, I'm sure that criminally insane people just don't think about that stuff.
Link?... your comment is incredibly jarring without the proper context and I have obviously missed this thread.

EDIT: On the Italian trial.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
In media it's, actually, destroyed suspension bridges. Ever since someone pointed this out to me I can't help but notice it, and have yet to see a movie or TV show actually do this right.

Basically a suspension bridge works since the cables hold up the middle part and they are anchored to big pylons. The cables are under tension so if you cut the middle the road should collapse upward, and not downward.

Not George Carlin said:
This made me cry: http://i.imgur.com/4mjrW.png
More a joke than DNDtR.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jabberwock King said:
The movie "Son of the Mask." It thoroughly butchered Norse mythology. When I was a kid, I loved the 1st movie, or rather, the only "real" "The Mask" movie. Norse god of mischief drops an artifact in the human world? Fine, seems like something Loki would do, even if they only mention him in one scene. Fast foreword to next movie, and they show Loki, but they completely fuck up his relationship to the one other Norse god they show. NO. Loki was not the son of Odin, he was his blood brother, which should technically make him Thor's uncle-in-law. Maybe the writers did it on purpose for the sake of making the character interactions fit better with the "troubled father-son theme," but I still can't condone that bullshit.
I know! That movie pissed me off for several reasons.
It clearly showed no understanding for Norse mythology for one.
It did not have Jim Carrey.
It did not take the story of the first movie into consideration at all.

Loki being related to Odin is bullshit. Odin is the chief of the Æsir while Odin is a Jötunn. They're 2 different species where one is considered good, the other one is considered more neutral or sometimes even an enemy to the Æsir. I wont even bother going into deeper details on how bad it raped mythology.

Jim Carrey is perfect in the part of The Mask and without him the first movie would have lost a lot of what made it fun.

In the first movie the story behind the mask was that the soul of Loki was trapped inside the mask as a punishment, being called the trickster god, which actually isn't too far from the actual origin. In the second movie Loki was sent to reclaim the mask... The mask he was trapped in. The fact that he was trapped in it was what powered the mask, so if he was sent to fetch it the mask should in theory not be working. At the end of the first movie he threw away the mask, but in the next movie he knows where to find it even though he hasn't used it since the first movie and is unaware that his dog is using it. Just too much crap about the second movie...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
In that Austin Powers flick Goldmember Goldmember himself is portrayed as a Dutchman, yet he keeps using German swearwords. I mean for frak's sake people the distinction isn't hard. They do that with Dutch more often, keep mixing it up with German.
mrblakemiller said:
-The Bible never says Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. She had seven demons and saw the resurrected Jesus. That's about all we know about her.
The fact that you say "know" here can be called it's own case of misinformation. Then again, doing research on Christianity in a Christian school...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
When a Danish letter was used in The Simpsons in that episode when Frink went to Sweden to recieve the Nobel prize. They confused Danish letters with Swedish ones.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
smv1172 said:
Spectral Dragon said:
Although I think crystallines have a bit more fleeting temperatures for melting/boiling etc. But for reasonable temeratures, it's always solid. It is a bit misleading that you say that it forms an intricate network, given that it has no proper structure. It's fairly random.
Oh, and the nitpicker in me wants to add that you forgot plasma. :p
Pretty much all of my chemistry text books (the same classes that would complete a chemistry BS if that were my major) leave out plasma as a state of matter, or throw it in as a sidebar and thus refer to the 3 states of matter. Its really not something to nitpick, yes plasma is pretty cool and has some fun properties and uses, not really a standard matter phase as it takes some pretty extreme conditions to get there. Though the main thing, the definition of a crystalline structure is one of a repeated orderly pattern so I'm not sure where you get the no proper structure comment. Also, with the behavior of electrons and various types of bonds in crystalline structures can pretty aptly be described as an intricate network while it may not be the best term I don't think its really incorrect.
Woops, I've gotten it all jumbled up. I was talking about amourphous solids. D'oy. >.<
Those have a non-defined structure. Glass, being an amourphous solid, for example, has the same structure as liquids, but is solid, like crystals. I don't even know what I'm on about now...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Yopaz said:
OK let's start with the basics. We got 3 different states that a substance can be in. There's gas, liquid and solid. Now take water. At temperature below 0 Celsius it is solid. In the are 0 to 100 it's liquid, after that it's gas. If we are in a room where the temperature is below 0 (let's say -10) will you be able to determine if the ice cube I am holding is in a solid or liquid state?
It's actually quite easy. If it is not viscous and does not allow easy movement of molecules when you touch it the molecule is a solid.
Glass, composed of silicates in an intricate pattern creates advanced networks (not at the level of carbon) and thus got an extremely high melting point compared to what you would expect form the polarity of the molecules involved. Even the glass with the lowest melting point requires more than thousand degrees before it melts. When we refer to something as a liquid, we mean that it is liquid at STP (standard temperature and pressure), oxygen exist as a liquid, do you refer to oxygen as a liquid or a gas?
What I was trying to get across is that glass gradually passes into a liquid.
Where ice and other melty things lose their crystalline structure at a certain temperature range, glass gradually pass into a liquid state.
Its crystalline structure gradually bends out of shape rather than unbinds itself completely at a heat threshold, like ice.
To say wether glass is solid or not boils down to semantics.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Nearly anything on Fringe: so hard to choose between "Yeah I'd totally hit that" and "That's not how physics work FFS !" :D