Did you watch any animes as a kid...

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
When I was a wee sprat, a friend of the family brought back a bunch of Miyazaki tapes from Japan. Even with nary a subtitle I was awestruck by these films (Laputa, Totoro, Nausicaa). Whenever I asked my dad about them he called them Japanese cartoons.
So for the longest time whenever I saw anime on TV, that's what I thought of it as.

Apr 28, 2008
Pretty much everything that was on Toonami I watched.

So...

Dragon Ball Z (what kid didn't watch this show?)
Sailor Moon
Big O
Tenchi Muyo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing (and pretty much all Gundam series actually)
Ruroni Kenshin (or however the hell you spell it)
Ronin Warriors
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Digimon

Though I don't think Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon were ever on Toonami... think they were on the KidsWB on Saturdays or something like that. Ah well, still watched it. I also watched quite a bit of Speed Racer. Though I can't remember what channel I watched it on.

Oh, and Studio Ghibli movies.

And that's about it. At least, that's what I can remember watching. I'd say it was a pretty good childhood.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Pokemon, Yugioh, Sailor Moon, and Card Captors Sakura were the only ones I watched that I can remember. Absolutely loved 'em. Hated DBZ because it was just a big testosterone fest, and I couldn't be assed to give a damn about it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Dragonball Z, Digimon, Pokémon, a bit of Beyblade, and Gundam Wing naturally. I had no idea what anime was at the time, but I loved watching some of those series.
Casual Shinji said:
But at that age a cartoon was simply a cartoon.
Exacty. And there were a lot of series that I still have no idea of whether or not they were anime because of Dutch dubbing. Alfred Jodocus Kwak and Boes anime? How strange...
Don't forget Dommel, another anime based on a none-Japanese property. In all three of these cases the animation is very much Japanese, but a lot of the concept and character design and story supervision is Dutch/Belgium, I think.

And from what I've seen the animation in Alfred J. Kwak is very similar to that in The Moomins. The scripts and storyboards for both shows were done by the same Japanese guy.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
One Piece
Bo bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo
Yugi Oh
Pokemon
Transformers Armada
Naruto
Samurai Jack
I find it weird that now a days I despise Anime seeing how much I watched of it as a kid.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Dragonball Z
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Tenchi Muyo
Pokemon
Beyblade
One Piece
Naruto
Digimon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Duel Masters
Escaflone...or however you spell it.
Cardcaptors(the theme song of which I can't get out of my fucking head now...)

Probably a few more too. Of course back then I didn't know of the concept of "Anime", I just thought they were kick-ass cartoons. Hell, I still watch a couple of them to this day and Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are always worth a re-watch.

There was also the time when I was around 14 or 15 and a friend of mine showed me Urotsukidōji....my mind was opened that day.

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
Zoids, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sonic X and pokemon were about the only shows I watched that were anime.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
You guys are making me feel old...

Thundercats
Voltron
Starzinger
um...
Ullyses
Project AKO
Bubblegum Crisis
and Dominion Tank Police.

I think That's most of them.

Oh and I used to watch Flying Island of Laputa and Totoro over and over. I guess technically Ghostbusters and Dungeons and Dragons was anime too.

kenadian

May 7, 2012
Original Dragonball. Then my sister caught on to Sailor Moon. Then DBZ came along, Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher and Gundam Wing. My childhood in a nutshell.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
purf said:
with fatherly amusement, from the rocking chair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Future#Anime
This. OMG, this!
Drat, that's a long time ago. I loved that series.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I used to love DBZ but it often conflicted with the TV shows my parents watched, so I hardly ever got to watch it. I remember watching Cardcaptors every day after school, Beyblade, Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon. I saw the first episode of Cowboy Beebop but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between it and Gundam. Does anyone remember Ultimate Muscle?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
Sailor Moon and DBZ here too. I also watched a series called Technoman...
Tekkaman Blade in Japan. My avatar comes from the sequel OVA. I knew it was an anime, though.

Also, the US theme song (done by Shuki Levy) was cool, but the Japanese intro is one of my favourite intro songs of all time:

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I used to watch Dragonball Z. I never watched the episodes in order, but even if I had I still wouldn't have been able to make ANY sense out of it. It was a really weird show...
Oh, and I used to think Yu-Gi-Oh was awesome. I honestly can't understand why, in hindsight.
Those are the only anime shows I've ever watched, save for maybe a half an episode of something at my friends house (he likes that stuff I guess)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
You guys are making me feel old...

Thundercats
Voltron
Starzinger
um...
Ullyses
Project AKO
Bubblegum Crisis
and Dominion Tank Police.

I think That's most of them.

Oh and I used to watch Flying Island of Laputa and Totoro over and over. I guess technically Ghostbusters and Dungeons and Dragons was anime too.
I remember Ulysses 31.

It was awesome, especially the theme song.

I couldn't for the life of me ever understand what the hell was going on in this show however. Not at the age of 8 or 9 anyway.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Hazy992 said:
Tenchi Muyo (sometimes)
Thank you, thank you, thank you. For the past like year I've been trying to remember an anime I watched as a kid but I could never remember the name of it. I remembered loving it when I was a kid so I wanted to watch it again but couldn't remember what it was called, it was driving me nuts.

When I saw that in your post it rang a bell so I youtube'd it. That is the anime. So now I can watch it again :D

OT: Tenchi Muyo and now I'm going to be watching it again.
Dragonball Z
Beyblade
Pokemon
Digimon

Think that was it.

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
nope, to this day I despise most anime, but back in the day I enjoyed some of miasakis work like the moving house or whatever it was called, oh and I watched the first season of pokemon, that's about it.
I have nothing against it personally I just can't stand how it looks and how over the top all aspects of it are, from design, to storytelling, to melodrama and ultimate "badassery" or whatever, always put me off.

I will give it to them, many japanese cartoons bring real athmosphere and personality to them like ghost in the shell, previously mentioned miasaki movies and such

Nekron_X

Jan 30, 2011
everyone's pretty much mentioned everything i watched as a kid....except reboot but i'm not actually sure who developed that so i could be wrong....