Director Walks Away from Uncharted Movie

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Creative differences in this case being Sony hired him to make an Uncharted movie, and he started making something else.

I really hope this marks the first delay in a long series of ultimately film killing delays. Uncharted is B-movie pulp adventure, made charming through character and interactivity. Indiana Jones was a throwback to old adventure films, and Uncharted is the gaming throwback to Indiana Jones. An Uncharted movie will just be a knock-off of a knock-off.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Like I said on the thread that preceded this article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287089-Yes-Russell-Ditches-Uncharted#11338701], I'm sure as hell glad that O'Russell isn't wasting his time and his talent on such a marginal project. You could throw a dart at any scene in The Fighter and find more wit than in all of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Of course, Sony will find some hack director to make it, and they'll stick somebody in the lead role that's young and kinda-sorta handsome but completely forgettable, and we'll be seeing Nathan Drake mow down minorities and suffer seizures while leaping across gaps, all while saying some of the worst snarky dialogue imagineable, in no time.

What's funny is that whatever movie comes out of this will probably still be unfaithful to the source material.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
... and nothing of value was lost.

I'm sorry, I know David O. Russell has decent film credentials and "was taking the project seriously", but come on. He was trying to push through drastic changes to the story's entire premise. I haven't even played an Uncharted game and that still annoys me. Hell, from where I'm sitting his "seriousness" doesn't even factor into it when you stop and realize that his "serious" vision was quickly becoming Uncharted in name only. After all, when you start letting the director/producer/whatever make big departures from the source material here and there you start ending up with disasters like Alone in the Dark or Doom.

Oh, and of course what an Uncharted movie really needs is Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. Real inspired move there, guy.

I honestly just don't get Hollywood at this point. If a studio is going to go through the trouble of acquiring the movie license for a game franchise, even if they're just going to phone it in to try to make a quick buck, is it really that hard to not buttf*ck the game's story and canon to death by making pointless changes that don't make the slightest bit of sense?

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Good the movie was changing to much plus mark wahlberg was not the correct person for the role hes a fine actor but just not for this role hopefully it'll go like this
1.the movie is made and its an ok movie
or
2.the movie dies thats what I'm hoping for because I really uncharted

OddOzZy666

Jul 3, 2008
I say this...Good!

The direction O'Russell was gonna take it would've been terrible!

Get Nathan Fillion, get a director that knows what he's doing with the script, and make a freakin' masterpiece!

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
HandsomeZer0 said:
Two words. Uwe boll.
two words: God, NO!

Anyway, I didn't like the sound of the plot for this movie, so I'm more or less happy it will be changed. Shame it probably won't get as good director as Russell.

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
Yossarian1507 said:
HandsomeZer0 said:
Two words. Uwe boll.
two words: God, NO!

Anyway, I didn't like the sound of the plot for this movie, so I'm more or less happy it will be changed. Shame it probably won't get as good director as Russell.
But it would be hilarious! I never really liked the uncharted franchise so it could make the worlds greatest comedy :p

Matthew Wilson

Apr 27, 2010
Thrust said:
David O. Russell is a talented director, however he wasn't the right fit for this, however I doubt Sony will find a better director for this. I mean they got the writer of "The legend of Chun-Li" to write the Shadow of the colossus movie, Are you fucking kidding me ?!!
Wait a minute,

They're making a Shadow of The Colossus movie???

What the shit is that about? At least Uncharted had a story to work on, I mean I love SOTC but who wants to see a film where some teen kills 16 fuck-off-massive stone giants. (That sounded a lot worse in my head)

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Matthew Wilson said:
Wait a minute,

What the shit is that about? At least Uncharted had a story to work on, I mean I love SOTC but who wants to see a film where some teen kills 16 fuck-off-massive stone giants. (That sounded a lot worse in my head)
Well, there was that one movie where the guy had to go around killing his sweetheart's ex-boyfriends...Basically the same premise.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
You know, I'm a huge fan of Three Kings and The Fighter was decent, but I had a hard time getting behind this adaptation. Sure, Uncharted might not have the best, most unique premise out there. But it does have established lore and back stories. I don't know why you can't flesh out the existing, build on the established foundation, and still come out with something great. The more I heard about the movie, the more I felt like it should be it's own IP. It might've been great, but it would encourage more directors to deviate wildly from established canons when they do adaptations. And I hate that, especially when it comes to shows, games, or books that do have a strong plot and premise that doesn't need to be tweaked.

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
I'm fine with him leaving. Let's face it, when people change the format of a games story to fit a re-imagined story for film it just does not work. Every single videogame movie ever made, minus Silent Hill which I loved, was terrible. And they always will be terrible so long as people making the movie version keep changing the stories to fit their vision of how things SHOULD be.
The game were popular for a reason. A big part of that reason is usually story. So taking that beloved story and basically pissing all over it will not go down well with anyone.
Fans will see a bastardization of what they love and new-comers will just see a shit movie and assume the games are just as shit.
We gotta stop these film makers from pissing on our games. Simple as.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
UWE BOLL TO THE RESCUE!

Stop making video games into movies....cant Hollywood beat something elses corpse...Im sure there are 100s of books or more pot based movies...or Seth Rogen can write another movie about himself staring himself as himself writing the movie about himself

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Noone will ever be happy with how this turns out except people who have no idea what they're watching, fans of the games will dislike it even more.

ManWithHat

Apr 1, 2011
Matthew Wilson said:
Thrust said:
David O. Russell is a talented director, however he wasn't the right fit for this, however I doubt Sony will find a better director for this. I mean they got the writer of "The legend of Chun-Li" to write the Shadow of the colossus movie, Are you fucking kidding me ?!!
Wait a minute,

You know, a SOTC movie could be absolutely great if they stick with the same premise of "less is more" with the dialogue and story and present it much like the game does. It could be a mysterious action movie where the audience fills in the plot themselves. After all, the best story is the one you make your self.