Disabled Gamer's Dead Space 2 Problems Gets Developer's Attention

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Disabled Gamer's Dead Space 2 Problems Gets Developer's Attention

Visceral is putting together a patch so that disabled gamers can play Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Pc/dp/B002I0HJ68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297160415&sr=8-3] more easily.

British gamer Gareth Garratt, who has cerebral palsy and plays games using his chin, was dismayed to discover that Dead Space 2 wouldn't let him assign the walking controls to a mouse button. Frustrated, Garratt posted about his problem on the Overclockers UK [http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18236540] forum, and thanks to the power of the internet, it ended up in front of the game's developer.

Garratt first posted about his issue on January 31st, and over the course of a week, the thread swelled in size to more than 900 posts. It also helped draw more attention to an online petition [http://www.petitiononline.com/cu5t0m/petition.html] set up by quadriplegic gamer Chuck Bittner in 2009, which calls for developers and publishers to make customizable controls the norm across all games. So far, Bittner's petition has gathered more than 24,000 signatures.

Eight days after Garratt's original post, a developer from Visceral Games' Australian branch, which handled the PC port of the game, said that he had spoken with the studio bosses and would try to include something to help Garratt in the next patch. In a statement, Dead Space 2's executive producer, Steve Papoutsis, confirmed that Visceral was indeed working on fixing Garratt's problem. He thanked the PC gaming community for bringing the issue to the studio's attention. He said that his team was passionate about getting the fix completed as soon as possible, and once it had been finished and properly tested, Visceral would announce a release date. The update will also include a few other fixes for PC players besides the remappable controls.

It's heartening to see a community rallying round to help one of their own, and it's even better when that effort results in positive change. This probably won't be the turning point in a customizable control revolution, but it's a good step towards making gaming accessible to people who have difficulties with traditional control setups.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/07/visceral-games-hears-disabled-gamer-adding-customizable-control/]

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Huh, I have the tab up to sign the petition. Well, I'm glad I no longer have to now. Way to go Visceral.

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Wow is it just me or does Visceral seem like its staffed by really nice people?
However when are they going to release a patch which will eliminate the problem of having to reset the game every time you die just to get to new areas.

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
I signed the petition about 1 or 2 hours ago....I feel extremely good right now...

Good on visceral's part listening to the fans about such an issue

Wish more developers did

Dragonmaster3

Mar 30, 2010
FangShadow said:
I signed the petition about 1 or 2 hours ago....I feel extremely good right now...

Wish more developers did
Yes, I agree. If more developers did something like this, I would say the gaming world would be a better place.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Dragonmaster3 said:
FangShadow said:

Wish more developers did
Yes, I agree. If more developers did something like this, I would say the gaming world would be a better place.
For every intelligent well thought out reasonable request, there are a few hundred abusive unreasonable demands made on developers though =(

So I can understand them filtering us out, much as it sucks.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
I'm more curious how someone moves a game character using their chin? :S
He's got skills.
-Tabs<3-

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
seems like a PR stunt to me ... remappable controls are standard stuff in every freaking pc game.

if this game didn't have that then its not an issue that was brought to their attention but a bad port being noticed...

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
That's really awesome. Good to know more people will be able to experience Dead Space 2. Let's hope this practice catches on, someday.

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
Always like hearing stories like this, really good that he gets to enjoy the game and that a lot of other people in his situation get to enjoy it as well because of all the people who supported him who brought this to Visceral's attention, and really good for Visceral to help him.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Not that I say he shouldn't, or that I'm in any way saying this isn't a good thing, but I'm kinda curious as to how one plays games like this with his chin. I mean, Dead Space 2 has quite a lot of controls, and fine motor skills are required for things like aiming and such.

Then again, it's not my business anyway. So yay for Visceral helping.

phoenix352 said:
seems like a PR stunt to me ... remappable controls are standard stuff in every freaking pc game.
Many console ports don't have those. Also, it could (but not necessarily would) be a PR stunt if they iniatiated it. But they didn't. True, it might be shoddy not to include those in the first place, but there you go.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Being able to remap controls shouldn't have to be asked for in the first place. It's more than just those with limited use of limbs, but also those who are left-handed who shouldn't feel like they are crippled themselves. Which they aren't. I am about willing to put money down that Visceral pulls something stupid and complete customization for controls isn't included in the patch. Select keys are allowed for certain functions and such, for example.
So far just about everything coming out here about Dead Space 2 has had quite a big stink to it. Glad I didn't feel a flaming urge to go buy it beforehand, as by now I certainly do not want anything to do with it.
Only one thing sounded good about the game so far, and that was the Fingergun award for winning on hardcore mode. I would love to see that put to use on other games. Hell I would bust a rib laughing if Activision put it into a Call of Duty game.

supersilva

Feb 2, 2011
Yeh seems fair enough i have signed it, however and i hope i dont come off too dickish when i say this. I dont think you should expect every developer to cater to you even if you have a condition which hinders your ability to play the game, or it gets to the point where the developers are swarmed beacuse you have to do if for everyone. You cant forget its not just quadriplegic people who also play games but many other types of disabilties as well. You would have to include them as well beacuse its just Unfair if you do it for 1 group of people and not others. Maybe its just my sense of equality, but its the same idea at work or school a boss or teacher cant just let you get off 30 mins early or have a day off or miss coursework beacuse then its unfair on the other 30 people(assuming its not like a real family emergency.
Anyhow i hope it didnt come off like i dont care or anything, but i think customizable controls are an awsome idea and it will help lots of people who maybe dont have the abilty to use all there body. However if they are only doing it beacuse of this they better do it for every disadvantge group, Ie i have a friend who's brother loves games on his ps3 but beacuse of his disabilty on some games that have quicktime events he has a real problem getting passed them beacuse he cant press the button enough or fast enough in the short time, we usually do it for him then let him play again. Basically what im saying is, if they make customizable controls the norm from this petition then i expect to see the abilty to turn off quick time events and things like that changed as well.
Also i understand that that customizable controls are pretty much the norm already but if developers are only doing it beacuse people have signed a petition and not beacuse they think it makes sense and is praticle im scared.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
really nice people who make disturbing games? Yeah their all crazy murders

OT: Its great to see them helping people out.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Daedalus1942 said:
I'm more curious how someone moves a game character using their chin? :S
He's got skills.
-Tabs<3-
He has videos on youtube. It is amazing watching him play a FPS.