Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo Finally Available

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Not that I'd recommend the visit, but 4chan is filled with people who've experienced emotion for the first time in their lives. If its enough to do that, its changed a small part of the world in a good way.

Mariner

Sep 27, 2010
Is the flamers/trolls gone now?

I like Lilly's path (still need to play the last 2 to evaluate them)

BlueKite1675

Jun 2, 2011
After three days of playing this game (at time of writing). This is one of the best stories I have read in a long time, I could not put it down, I kept want to know the other outcomes.

If you haven't downloaded this game, you're missing out. The idea seems sketchy, but it works, just try it.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I keep stumbling onto news about this game, and it has sparked my interest. I haven`t really played/read any Visual Novels before, tho I quite often watch anime and read manga.
Still, i wonder if this would be a good thing to start with...

andy25100

Sep 5, 2010
Owlslayer said:
I keep stumbling onto news about this game, and it has sparked my interest. I haven`t really played/read any Visual Novels before, tho I quite often watch anime and read manga.
I hadn't played/read any visual novels before Katawa Shoujo and i was thoroughly blown away by it good story, excellent characters (can't stress this enough), great music and while i haven't played any other VNs from my experience i would say this is a perfect place to start.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
andy25100 said:
Owlslayer said:
I hadn't played/read any visual novels before Katawa Shoujo and i was thoroughly blown away by it good story, excellent characters (can't stress this enough), great music and while i haven't played any other VNs from my experience i would say this is a perfect place to start.
Thanks for encouraging me, i went and downloaded it, was a bit nervous that it would be weird, but it was really interesting, played for 3 hours or so straight. Quite interesting, i always want to know what happens next. So i guess it`s a bit addicting.

andy25100

Sep 5, 2010
Owlslayer said:
andy25100 said:
Owlslayer said:
Thanks for encouraging me, i went and downloaded it, was a bit nervous that it would be weird, but it was really interesting, played for 3 hours or so straight. Quite interesting, i always want to know what happens next. So i guess it`s a bit addicting.
Glad to help, hope you enjoy the endings.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Owlslayer said:
andy25100 said:
Owlslayer said:
I'm glad to hear this! Good luck, try not to cry too hard :p

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
AC10 said:
Owlslayer said:
andy25100 said:
Owlslayer said:
I'm glad to hear this! Good luck, try not to cry too hard :p
Aw crap, i really hope it won`t be that hard of an effect on my, would hate if my roommate would saw me up in tears!
Still, I have had my moments with my eyes leaking, for example, while watching Clannad: After Story. That one hit me like a ton of bricks.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Finished Emi's first, and damn, trying to start any others felt like a goddamned break-up. I didn't WANT to start any others, because it'd feel like I was leaving Emi behind. Her path was incredible, plain-and-simple.

Yesterday and today I've been doing Lilly's, and I just finished. Beautifully-done, and again nearly-tear-jerking.

I'll be giving myself at least a week or two break to let myself disconnect from these two. I think I'll go Shizune next, then Hanako, and save Rin for last.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Boman said:
I don't usually comment on anything, but I do have to say I am disappointed with this game. Mainly because it does not feel like a game.
Going into it, given that it was described as a "dating sim" in the article, I assumed that It'd play much like a role-playing game where i'd be able to make decisions and be able to create different and meaningful relationships with the characters involved. However, now having finished the game, it appears that the game doesn't wish you to do that. There were very few choices within the game, and the choices that were given felt superficial for the most of the time. You were railroaded into a relationship with one of the girls which then shut off contact with the other girls (which annoyed me. The storyline I was railroaded onto cut contact from characters that I felt were interesting and would have liked to have stayed friends with).
I do applaud it for its subject matter that challenges our outlook and relations to the disabled, and the characters don't feel like simple sex objects that are for claiming. I am just disappointed because I was hoping for more. As a video game, it's not spectacular and, in my humble opinion, doesn't offer enough interactivity to be considered as such. As a piece of art? The idea is there, but is not using the medium to its fullest, and if you're not using your medium to its fullest then why choose this medium for your work?
Given all of this, I am glad it exists. It has flaws, but it exists. And it exists to show us that there are those who we wish didn't exist. This game is the girl with no legs
I don't feel like reading the next 5 pages just to see if anyone responded to you on this, so I'll just say it. As a VN, it probably doesn't qualify as a "game" in the strictest sense of the word. More like a glorified picture book, hence "visual novel." The stories are mostly set once you're put on the path. You just change a few details here and there which eventually affect the outcome. With that said, you may be going around it the wrong way and expecting too much by looking at it as a game. As you said, it doesn't have quite enough interactivity.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I expect this to be a wall of text. Sorry for the double post, but my last post already quoted another wall of text and I don't want it to be overly large.

Played the game, took Emi's route. I'm sad how the other girls seem to be all but shut out of Hisao's life after he gets locked into a route. I would have liked to see some development as friends at least, but I only got Rin because she hangs out with Emi. Even then, Rin was usually on another planet entirely. I also found that I could predict some of the next lines that came up, which probably means some form of cliche in use or something.

The protagonist kinda overreacted at times and the game sometimes annoyed me that I couldn't pick or flesh out some of his thought processes/actions more, but there were also times where he had the same reaction that I did having because of Emi's behavior near the end of her route. Emi herself was rather endearing with her happy energy. Despite my being able to predict some of the lines, I really had no way of seeing how the actual scenarios would play out. I just kept wanting Hisao to give the girl a hug near the end (which I'm glad that he does pretty often).

As said in 15 pages and counting, the game (if you can call a VN a game) is not done in bad taste. The girls are not defined by their disabilities. As Emi says, she isn't the "girl who lost her legs." She's "the fastest thing on no-legs." I tend to even forget that she has no legs. I just want to see how things play out with this aggressively cheerful girl who actually seems to have some painful secret. Her final H-scene actually works as a contrast to the first two and shows how far the couple have come in terms of emotional closeness.

I want to start the game again and maybe try Hanako's route, but I'm a little afraid that her route can or will become scary dark at some point. After super bubbly Emi, I don't think I could handle it. I have no real interest in Shizune. Lilly seems interesting and I don't know what to think about Rin. Some other posters have said Rin's was a serious roller-coaster and I also have a slight suspicion in the back of my head that her route might be a little dark too.

Finally: I just read the last 5-7 pages in this thread before I posted. High five to all the people using Katawa Shoujo pics as their avatar's already. I'm particularly amused by Reveras' Lilly avatar. "Sorry I didn't see you" indeed ^_^

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
I just finished Lilly's storyline, that makes for Hanako, Rin and Lilly - going to do the remainders later

My god I'm simply blown away by the astonishingly well written stories.
The people who wrote this should be swimming in wealth, there's no book that can compete with this as far as I'm concerned. I've never read anything this off-setting and immersing before.
So far all of the stories I've done are such emotional roller coasters, It starts to really drain your energy having to evaluate everything. NEED TO STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS! HELP ;o

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Kevin Cleijne said:
I just finished Lilly's storyline, that makes for Hanako, Rin and Lilly - going to do the remainders later

My god I'm simply blown away by the astonishingly well written stories.
The people who wrote this should be swimming in wealth, there's no book that can compete with this as far as I'm concerned. I've never read anything this off-setting and immersing before.
So far all of the stories I've done are such emotional roller coasters, It starts to really drain your energy having to evaluate everything. NEED TO STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS! HELP ;o
The beauty of the work is the team isn't accepting donations.
On the official forums someone asked Aura if they could donate and he said, paraphrasing

"We're not accepting donations. If you really want to give money, donate to a charity."

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
Humanity +1
Still, I do believe they should earn at least something for their efforts, this is simply to artistic to be ignored.

EDIT:

Just finished Emi's story as well - That makes the 4 of em. I'm not going to bother with Shizune as she's pretty much my opposite and I'd just get frustrated chasing after her I'm sure. Surprisingly Emi's storyline was closest to personal experience.. Didn't turn out the same way as the story did, regrettably. I think I like Rin's path best. The story is the closest to my own mindset, it nearly follows exactly what I'd do in that situation, with Emi's I had some annoyances as to how ignorant the main character was since the evolution as to what was going on was rather obvious, that or I just took the wrong answers to the questions, making the main character act like an idiot. The answers to the questions kind of felt a little off to me as well, Most of the time answer A or B were unsatisfying to me, I would have rather gone for option C, which wasn't present^^.

I'm Coming off a bit vague I suppose. I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone else so I'm not revealing much of the story, suffice to say, all 4 storylines I've read (Lilly, Hanako, Rin and lastly Emi's) were very much worth it, I cannot urge anyone who reads this enough to actually pick up the story themselves.

DR123

Jan 9, 2012
I've only done Emi's and Rin's so far. Emi's was great, but Rin's was something that I just can't get out of my mind. I guess I can identify with that character on multiple levels.

I haven't gone through another since doing Rin's. As weird as it sounds I'm not sure I can yet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DR123 said:
I've only done Emi's and Rin's so far. Emi's was great, but Rin's was something that I just can't get out of my mind. I guess I can identify with that character on multiple levels.

I haven't gone through another since doing Rin's. As weird as it sounds I'm not sure I can yet.
I think Rin's route had the best writing consitantly (and I really thought the writing, as a whole, was very good). That's not to say it had the biggest emotional impact on me, but the writing was class act. It was darker and was a very interesting character peice.

I just can't praise this game enough it seems :p.
I'm beyond glad that I took the time to play it.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
chadachada123 said:
BlackWidower said:
Wow, I really want to play this game now. Though I wonder. What does that image have to do with it? I assume it's gameplay footage, but I don't see any disabled person in it.

One of the girls have no legs, eh? Hmmm...I guess it'd make it easier to [sentence redacted by the Council on Universal Decency...seriously, what the fuck guy, why would you write that!?]!!!! Hot!

Of course it probably isn't one of those games is it? If that's the case, I wonder why the website bothers to give us the character's measurements.

I think the burnt girl's kinda hot. I know many will think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious.

I know many are commenting on the socio-political implications of having a dating sim featuring disabled people, but I don't think there are any.

I think the really amazing thing is, this game is free! That is the real story. Way to bury the lead, Earnest!
The image is a show of the classroom that the main character is in. Certainly not the entire student body, though. Only 3 of the 5 main girls are in his class.

It does have some sex in it, and a couple of nude shots, but sex makes up a very small part of the gameplay. It's about the adventure, love, loss, yada yada.
Yeah, thanks, I figured that out once I started playing.

I've never played a...I don't want to call it a game...software...quite like it before. It's kinda interesting. Though a bit labyrinthy. I love it!

Funnily enough I ended up on the path with the legless girl first, and I really don't like her. Seriously, she's a pain in the ass!

Litchhunter

Apr 16, 2010
As someone who played the game the moment of release,
I was quite worried what popular reaction might be when the game hit large media outlets.
Now I see my worry was misplaced.
Good on you fellow Escapist goes, and enjoy all the feelings that come with the game.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
mega48man said:
and Lilly, WOOOOOO...yeaaah
Internet bro-fist!

BlackWidower said:
Funnily enough I ended up on the path with the legless girl first, and I really don't like her. Seriously, she's a pain in the ass!
Wait till you get Tezuka's path. At least Ibarazaki is cheerful - caffine-fake-high cheerful, but still better than her painting friend. I had to play through Hanako and Lily's route a few times to get over the mind-f**k.