Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Da 5 Bloods

While the pandering makes me cringe, there is a heart in the story too. Paul and Norman bring bloody power into the movie that's a bunch of things -- often at the same time. 6/10

Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Rewatched Purple Rain. This 2016 Blu-ray is a marked improvement over the old VC1 encode. With almost twice the bitrate, it almost looks like proper film now. I'm gonna see if I can replace this case with a purple one when I order my next batch of replacement cases, to match my Sign o' the Times package. These shitty eco cases all the companies use now tear the paper.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Grudge

Things just sort of happen in this movie huh? People go to this haunted house in Tokyo and then a ghost lady will lunge at the camera when you most expect it. Why did this become such a big deal? Ringu at least had a hook.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Grudge

Things just sort of happen in this movie huh? People go to this haunted house in Tokyo and then a ghost lady will lunge at the camera when you most expect it. Why did this become such a big deal? Ringu at least had a hook.
Because creepy black string haired, pale ghost girl was the new hotness in horror during the mid-late 2000s. Along with everyone copying Saw too. I could never get invested in any of these ghost stories. The best to come out of it was F.E.A.R. Alma is way more interesting than the other ghost girls.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dumbo

Tim Burton is the Suda 51 of movies. Started out as an auteur of cult classics driven by a unique vision, celebrated by everyone and capable of critical and commercial success, then at some point sold out and is now basically a hired act who stamps his trademark but has little to do with the product. He's commercialized a catchy, faux quirky style that's supposed to pass for substance but is just streamers on high-concept garbage. He's joined in his stunt by Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito, brought in to pretend it's a Tim Burton movie, and Danny Elman, who lost a bet 20 years ago and since then must use the same wispy female choir for every movie he's hired to score.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Ed Wood by Tim Burton with Johnny Depp, from my last arrival of Blu-rays. I had no idea I was watching a biographical movie until well into the movie. I thought Bela Lugosi's role was just a what if with minor connections to what he was really going through (addiction) for the first hour and a half. Didn't register that Ed Wood might be a real person until the backers suggested the title Plan Nine from Outer Space. I'm glad they didn't start it with "Based on a true story" or some crap like that. It was pretty good. Thinking of watching Plan Nine from Outer Space, but probably won't.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Platform: Absolutely not/10

Gruesome, painfully on-the-nose film about humans' penchant for greed, selfishness and gluttony. What in every fuck? This film was just gross.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ed Wood by Tim Burton with Johnny Depp, from my last arrival of Blu-rays. I had no idea I was watching a biographical movie until well into the movie. I thought Bela Lugosi's role was just a what if with minor connections to what he was really going through (addiction) for the first hour and a half. Didn't register that Ed Wood might be a real person until the backers suggested the title Plan Nine from Outer Space. I'm glad they didn't start it with "Based on a true story" or some crap like that. It was pretty good. Thinking of watching Plan Nine from Outer Space, but probably won't.
My favorite example of Team Edward and Bella.

OT: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Watched it again last night, and I really enjoy that film. I just don't see what people lose their shit about in that film. It's fun, it's campy (just like all Star Wars), the majority of the cast of characters are more than just a Star Wars fanservice fill-in. I think the guy who played Han did as well as can be expected for ANY actor who isn't Harrison Ford, trying to pretend to be Harrison Ford. Donald Glover is fantastic as Lando, and L3 is fucking fantastic to me. Honestly the only times I really dislike the film, is when it's going out of it's way to remind you "Hey! This is a STAR WARS FILM! Here let's shoehorn this connective tissue to a pointless detail just so fanboys can get an erection about noticing a callback reference!" I loved the comradery between Han and Chewie, the various capers they get involved in, how completely goofy and clueless Han is, thinking he's more badass and cool than he actually is, in anything other than flying. It's just a fun film.

I do agree with most of the criticisms I've seen, about how Han helping the rebels at the end contradicts his story arc in New Hope, where he's supposed to be a criminal who turns to good in THAT story. But it's a fairly minor issue I feel. Yeah it makes the end a bit scruffy, but...*shrugs* meh.

Overall, the film is much better than I think it gets credit for.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I recently saw a youtube about top underated horror movies and one of them was on Netflix: "Terrifier". A killer clown who pulls off a terrific scary look with no apparent motivation just does a lot of sick, evil, scary crap. Not a lot to it: just horror stuff. If worked for what it was trying to do: C+.

Da 5 Bloods

While the pandering makes me cringe, there is a heart in the story too. Paul and Norman bring bloody power into the movie that's a bunch of things -- often at the same time. 6/10
I loved the scenes in the past without de-aging or recasting: seeing the older actors playing their younger selves was disorienting and awesome. It gets a 7/10 from me.
Midsommer.
Hmm. Sure I've seen a variation of this film about 20 times now. At least it has some interesting direction at points, though some scenes linger around like a stubborn fart hanging by an open window. Can't say I left feeling any more fulfilled or inspired however. There are dumb moments. Am wondering if the sole thought behind this production was "let's do horror in the sunshine and flowers, figure out the rest as we go!"
It was greatly inspired by the early 1970s movie, "The Wicker Man" but got something so wrong. We're angry with the protagonist in Wicker Man for being so square till we are forced to realize, maybe square is good. In Midsommer, we are scratching our heads wondering why this kids are staying with this group of killers and cultist loons.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tim Burton is the Suda 51 of movies.
At least Suda's stuff is still entertaining. Plus, he's actually back in the writer's and director's chair with Travis Strikes Again and the upcoming No More Heroes 3. TSA is the most original, classic Suda, Suda has ever gotten. There is a ton of proper callbacks and refrences to his old and recent works. The game is like a documentary of his ups, downs, and rises. Way better than ol' Timmy.

Does contain spoilers!

Alita: Battle Angel - Still the best live-action anime. I don't care they ended on a sequel hook to a future film that is not going to happen. Robert and James did the manga justice to the point, where the manga creator loves this film. The action is well choreographed, the cinematography beautiful, and the art direction is literally the manga coming to life. And despite being PG-13, there is plenty of human, non-cyborg gore, the movie got away with. Rosa Salazar is the perfect Alita, and did a top notch performance. This is what live-action adaption of anime/manga should strive to be. Embrace the silly elements, while at the same time respecting the source and remove what does not work for live-action. Though in Alita's case, there is very little they had to remove.

TMNT (2014) & Out of the Shadows - Both are good films, that got way too much hate. Mainly from critics, Moviebob, and over obsessed fans of the 87 Turtles. TMNT (2014) has its flaws, but Bay was only the producer and actually helped improve some things, and made sure not to let bad or worse ideas get through. If you watch the bonus features, you see there was a lot of effort that went in to the Turtles animations, the stunt work, and fight choreography. The focus on April for the first 20 minutes is weird, but when the Turtles show up, it's both their movie. All four brothers interactions and personalities are on point. The only problem is Mikey hitting on April, as it gets a little annoying, but nowhere near the exaggeration MB made it out to be. Thankfully, the sequel gets rid of that. Another problem is Eric Sachs is another wasted villain, when he should not even been in the film. I know he was originally supposed to be a different incarnation of Shredder, and it shows, but they might as well stuck with the original cut. Apparently fans did not like Shredder being white washed, except that he has gone from different species and gender in many incarnations. Overall TMNT (2014) is a B-.

Out of the Shadows is the better movie with good improvements. Better costumes for the Turtles, they're a bigger focus, and the film has Kraang. I hate how they treated Casey Jones. This version is an in-name only and the worst interpetation to date. There was no reason to turn him in to a cop. Also, the Turtles never get to fight Shredder for an obvious sequel that will never happen. The box office was mediocre, but reception was highly better on DVD/Blu-Ray sales. Unfortunately, Paramount had overly high expectations and did not want to do a 3rd film. Then don't end on a sequel hook you assholes. OoftS is a better film and is an A in my book; it is just as good as the original 1990 film. Any Turtle fan worth their salt should give both films a chance if they have not seen it yet.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
As someone who has read Battle Angel Alita twice, Alita: Battle Angel frustrated me. Really shouldn't have tried to cram so much into two hours.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Alita: Battle Angel - Still the best live-action anime. I don't care they ended on a sequel hook to a future film that is not going to happen. Robert and James did the manga justice to the point, where the manga creator loves this film. The action is well choreographed, the cinematography beautiful, and the art direction is literally the manga coming to life. And despite being PG-13, there is plenty of human, non-cyborg gore, the movie got away with. Rosa Salazar is the perfect Alita, and did a top notch performance. This is what live-action adaption of anime/manga should strive to be. Embrace the silly elements, while at the same time respecting the source and remove what does not work for live-action. Though in Alita's case, there is very little they had to remove.
I saw Alita like three or four times at the movies, and I slapped down for the 4K steelbook - which had a beautiful cover - after viewing one. Rosa Salazar was fucking captivating. I think I fell in love a little.

As someone who has read Battle Angel Alita twice, Alita: Battle Angel frustrated me. Really shouldn't have tried to cram so much into two hours.
I'll be honest, I have more respect for a movie that tries its hardest to be magnificent and grand but perhaps fails, over one that doesn't bother to try.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A lot of live-action adaption anime suffer from and it's not just the United States either. Japan is just as guilty for doing this too. Ironically, the speed racer movie does not suffer from this. Out of all the live action adaptions, Alita tried. And as far as I'm concerned it's succeeded.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched part of Krull yesterday. The bit with the giant spider. It's actually much scarier than Shelob in Return of the King.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I watched part of Krull yesterday. The bit with the giant spider. It's actually much scarier than Shelob in Return of the King.

Yeah stop motion always lends an extra layer of Uncanny Valley and creepiness to things. Plus that whole sequence is just disturbing in it's concept when you think about it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
A lot of live-action adaption anime suffer from and it's not just the United States either. Japan is just as guilty for doing this too. Ironically, the speed racer movie does not suffer from this. Out of all the live action adaptions, Alita tried. And as far as I'm concerned it's succeeded.
Is this the avatar I used to have here years ago? I've had it in a few places.

Anyway, I don't think they did a good job. I could go into so much exhaustive detail. In the end, I felt like although James Cameron had the rights for years and years, they threw the script together in six weeks.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is this the avatar I used to have here years ago? I've had it in a few places.

Anyway, I don't think they did a good job. I could go into so much exhaustive detail. In the end, I felt like although James Cameron had the rights for years and years, they threw the script together in six weeks.
Your opinion. When seeing Alita with my brother, we did not have this much fun and hype in the cinema in a long while, aside from a Marvel movie or two. My mom adores this movie, and she never even heard of Battle Angel before the film.

It's pretty clear it's a script from the 90s with few alterations made. Considering he's been trying to get it off the ground since the mid 90s,' it's noticeable, but not a huge deal breaker for me.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
In what sense?
I’m going to guess that it may have something to do with a person who was clearly going to get fridged from the moment you saw him. Nowadays, you gotta at least pretend their a real person. She also is very quick to ‘learn’ things. The 90s were full of protags that were exceptional, with no flaws. Also full of protags that learn nothing but get better by upgrading their weapons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In what sense?
Well first of all: an adaption of a cyberpunk/post-apocalypse manga from the ealry 90s. What was once new, is old hat and cliche that it's ridiculous, but can be done great or well enough in the right hands. Which the film did. Second: Extreme sports rollerblading! Common in a lot of films during the 90s up until 2003-04ish. Didn't matter if it was kids film (the usual target audience for this stuff) or the totally rad, it's XTREME sports films. Third: The designs of the cyborgs are straight up 90s. I know it's more of manga thing, but you would not see design like that half of the time in modern manga/anime now. They did not have to change much design wise. Fourth: The way it's shot makes me feel like I went back to the good part of 90s film making from James Cameron. I know Cameron gave Robert the script and told to do whatever, but his passion and influence can still be felt. You're seeing both of their craft at work. Five: Just look at the early parts of the manga or watch the two episode OVA, and see how little they had to change. You will notice it.