Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Across the Spider-verse was fucking great. There was just so much to unpack. All the love and care that went into the first movie is still here, and more.

I do have a few negatives, but they're all spoilers.

1. The movie ends of a cliffhanger. I already knew it was a Part 1 of sorts, but I totally forgot that until the very end. It is frustrating, and I see a lot of people taking issue with it. I know it's a cliche at this point, but this movie did feel very much like an Empire Strikes Back kinda sequel.

2. Since I did forget it was a Part 1, I kept thinking to myself that this movie is really long. Not so much that it was draggy (although that would be a fair criticism), but I was confused why it was taking this long when we were so far from a conclusion.

3. I wasn't the biggest fan of bringing in real world actors. Like... just straight live action footage. The Venom thing was really, really bad.

The good, however, is just so much. Everything just comes together so fucking well, which is ridiculous when the whole movie is literally about mashing completely different universes together. The voice acting is stellar, they can hit jokes perfectly one scene and deliver incredibly emotional lines the other. The voice acting is made even better by the animation, which somehow seamlessly blends classic cartoony animation with almost motion cap levels of realistic human movement. The art style (or should I say styles) are top notch. This is corny, but this is genuine art. The soundtrack relied a lot less heavily on existing songs (as far as I can tell), which I really appreciated.

I think I'll just stop here, because every time I think of something good, I get reminded of something else good and I'll spend all night typing. Narratively, I'd still say Into was better, but as an overall experience, Across really blew my expectations away.
I liked it but the breakneck fever dream pace and constant jabbering was getting on my nerves towards the end. I also checked my watch an hour into the movie when I decided we were having too many fucking scenes with mom and dad having Pixar moments with Miles.

The animation and blend of styles still looks gorgeous. I liked how many twists were integrated into the plot and how each brought a major change in character dynamics. The zoomer humor/commentary I can leave but there were some genuinely funny comedy moments form visuals alone.

I could've used more Spidey villains. There's what, two? One of them a tutorial boss?

Also I'm not a fan of surprise To be continued's. I thought the movie was going on for too long until, surprise, stopped short from wrapping up the story by ending on a cliffhanger.
Across the Spider-verse was fucking great. There was just so much to unpack. All the love and care that went into the first movie is still here, and more.

1. The movie ends of a cliffhanger. I already knew it was a Part 1 of sorts, but I totally forgot that until the very end. It is frustrating, and I see a lot of people taking issue with it. I know it's a cliche at this point, but this movie did feel very much like an Empire Strikes Back kinda sequel.

2. Since I did forget it was a Part 1, I kept thinking to myself that this movie is really long. Not so much that it was draggy (although that would be a fair criticism), but I was confused why it was taking this long when we were so far from a conclusion.

3. I wasn't the biggest fan of bringing in real world actors. Like... just straight live action footage. The Venom thing was really, really bad.

The good, however, is just so much. Everything just comes together so fucking well, which is ridiculous when the whole movie is literally about mashing completely different universes together. The voice acting is stellar, they can hit jokes perfectly one scene and deliver incredibly emotional lines the other. The voice acting is made even better by the animation, which somehow seamlessly blends classic cartoony animation with almost motion cap levels of realistic human movement. The art style (or should I say styles) are top notch. This is corny, but this is genuine art. The soundtrack relied a lot less heavily on existing songs (as far as I can tell), which I really appreciated.

I think I'll just stop here, because every time I think of something good, I get reminded of something else good and I'll spend all night typing. Narratively, I'd still say Into was better, but as an overall experience, Across really blew my expectations away.
Gwen is "falsely" accused of killing her Peter Parker. But... she really did kill him. Yeah, she wasn't trying to, but that's manslaughter for you. At the bare minimum you get arrested, right?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I liked it but the breakneck fever dream pace and constant jabbering was getting on my nerves towards the end.
Yeah I will say that the comedy ALMOST got to MCU levels of ruining emotional scenes. Very close, but I think the serious scenes for the most part stayed serious. Also, I did feel the constant jabbering was at least a little intentional, since the movie did feel like it was criticizing how Spider-puns dehumanize the villains. Obviously Spot wasn't driven to become an insane multiverse God because of a few quips, but it certainly didn't help.
I could've used more Spidey villains. There's what, two? One of them a tutorial boss?
Yeah that's fair. I thought for sure Miles was going free all the villains as a distraction in his escape. I think the other Spider people functioning as "villains" worked pretty well though.
Gwen is "falsely" accused of killing her Peter Parker. But... she really did kill him. Yeah, she wasn't trying to, but that's manslaughter for you. At the bare minimum you get arrested, right?
Technically, it was self defense. I mean, comic book law and all that, but killing what you thought was a mindless lizard monster is very different from killing a regular human being. But yeah. I did think they could have made it a lot less Gwen's fault.
Remind me why Miles Morales uses his mom's name.
Cynically? Because he gets to be more obviously biracial. In universe? Apparently, Jefferson hated his father (who seems to be a bad person). Miles got his mother's name because his dad didn't want him to grow up with the bad reputation of the Davis name. In the comics, Jefferson himself also had a pretty bad reputation because of his brother and other criminal affiliations, so his mother in law believes that Rio should have never married him. Also, Jefferson Davis was a Confederate president and so Miles' dad officially changed his name to Jeff Morales.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Along with everything you’ve listed here, I also appreciate that the movie finally gave Moore his “And you’ve had your six” moment.
One of the best moments in his Bond career. "You left this with Ferrara."

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Along with everything you’ve listed here, I also appreciate that the movie finally gave Moore his “And you’ve had your six” moment.
I have mixed feelings about this. Partly because Moore hated that scene and fought hard against it, partly because I feel the movie awkwardly merges two versions that would have worked better independently : the tex avery "butterfly's additional weight is too much" joke, and the mean-spirited kick down. I appreciate both intents, but I feel they cancel out each other a bit. As opposed to, say, The Spy Who Loved Me's simple tie snap.

Apart from that, it's a solid movie, but a bit uneven. For all its serious investigative plot, it also has this funnily forced "mickey mouse at the winter olympics" feel, with an action sequence in each one of the discipline (apart from bobsleigh, which was already ticked in a previous movie). Bond versus the ski jump, Bond versus the biathlon, Bond versus the artistic skating, Bond versus the *checks list* have we done hockey yet ?

I've always mocked that aspect, but it feels artificial in retrospect mostly. In the movie, it flows mostly organically, and I'm particularly fond of the musical build up to the ski jump sequence. Which would be really tense in a Hitchcock movie, but Moore isn't Cary Grant or Michael Caine, and the threat of having to ski jump into a firing squad isn't as terrifying for Bond's magical omni-expertise than it would be for even just a Harry Palmer. Yet, the way it's filmed (and sounded) makes it kinda work.

So it's an odd movie, with an uneven sense of vulnerabilities, oscillating between cold war flick protagonists and supermaney jamesbonderies. I think this vague sense of patchwork is what makes me rate it lower than Spy Who. That or, more subjectively, Barbara Bach (or the role her lookalike was playing in my life, making this film special forever).

And yeah, I really dislike this pre-title. Okay, get rid of Blofeld, got it. But... see, after the Tracy melodrama, both the "angry revenge spree" of Diamond's pre-title and this goofy helicopter scene feel cartoonish and out if place. They make of Tracy a throwaway fridged girl for lolz, and... while that's very bondish, it's still disrespectful of the Majesty's Secret Service movie itself...

It's, like the cliff scene (or like trying to not look too pedophiley in that movie's one unique instance), Bond trying to have it both ways. A common, unsolved issue with the franchise.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
The thing is, if you pay attention, it wasn't tossing the pin into the car that made it start wavering on the cliff, it was Locque shifting around to catch it. That takes away from the Tex Avery-esque aspect, in my opinion. I completely understand your issues with the pre-title sequence, but I never felt like it played Tracy's death for laughs. Just the opposite, rather: I felt like Bond trying to talk Melina out of her revenge came off as him speaking from his personal experience about how unfulfilling that pursuit of revenge is. If anything, the pre-title sequence makes Blofeld a joke.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
After watching the series finale of Succession on HBO... er... now called Max for some reason, a youtuber posted his top 5 movies to watch for those going through withdrawals from all that intrigue now that the show was over. His number one spot is a movie I love and if you haven't seen it, you should do so ASAP (The Lion in Winter). But he also recommended The Death of Stalin. It is on Tubi and, well, the Drinker says it better than I could. A-

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Moonraker is memorably and enjoyably bad but, IMHO, for For Your Eyes Only is forgettably good.

I do like Julian Glover, and it was nice to have a female sidekick that could be taken seriously for once. But if the actress's name is Bouquet, then due to Keeping Up Appearances, I can't anymore. Oh well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Received an "Awesometacular" from Jeremy. 2.5 hours flies leaving him saying he cannot wait for the third in this series. It's on my radar (not playing here yet, jealous you got to see it already!)

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I watched The Flash.
I truly am of two minds of this. One the one hand I really don't want to go and see a movie where the central character is a version of the Flash I don't like at all - also did they ever clear up if Ezra Miller was going coocoo for coco puffs or was it a load of crap - but at the same time I am a fan of Supergirl and since her movie along with Batgirl's got the chop, this might be the only time I get to see a version of the character on screen that isn't kind of rubbish.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I truly am of two minds of this. One the one hand I really don't want to go and see a movie where the central character is a version of the Flash I don't like at all - also did they ever clear up if Ezra Miller was going coocoo for coco puffs or was it a load of crap - but at the same time I am a fan of Supergirl and since her movie along with Batgirl's got the chop, this might be the only time I get to see a version of the character on screen that isn't kind of rubbish.
He was fined a couple of times for disorderly conduct and plead guilty to trespassing earlier this year. Everything else appears to either have gone away or be on hold. WB probably working double to keep things on the down low, at least until the movie can make its money back.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Watched Across the Spider-Verse. Even better than the first one, which I loved. Special shout out to the performances of Hailee Steinfeld, Oscar Isaac, and Daniel Kaluuya, but everyone was excellent in their roles, and the animation was downright gorgeous. Add in a plot that both takes its time building up, but never drags, and you have my film of the year so far, and quite possibly going to end the year not having been topped. Highly recommend it to anyone who even just liked the original.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
In The Earth (2021)

Sort of folk horror movie by from Ben Wheatley. After a largely unspecified pandemic, a government scientist (Martin), accompanied by his guide (Alma), heads off into an experimental zone where his old mentor (Olivia) is carrying out an experiment using fungus to improve crop fertility, as she has not been heard from for a long time. This is in a forest reputed in legend to be inhabited by a woodland spirit. Things rapidly go downhill for Martin and Alma when their boots are stolen while they are asleep, and when they encounter a strange man living in the forest called Zach...

This is a covid-era film - I think with so much production halted, Wheatley apparently whipped up a script, grabbed some actors and headed out to make this, taking just 15 days to shoot. It's very low budget. For those familiar with his work, it's pretty typical stuff - slightly loopy, psychedelic, horror.

I'm going to be honest, this shows its limitations of rapid creation and shooting: it's pretty rough and ready. As a bit of a shame, there are some great dark and menacing forests in the UK, but unfortunately this is shot in a relatively benign one, so it loses some of the atmosphere in setting it could have had. However, on the bright side Wheatley and team know their stuff, so it pulls through.