Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
GI: Joe, Rise of Cobra.

Hey, by the same director as the Mummy films...and featuring some of the same actors.

Only, not nearly as good. And do we still need black sidekicks whose main role is to be painfully unfunny? Totally could have done something with that guy and the secondary female character, not like I cared about the main love interest at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I am not quite sure what I just watched.
Long live the new flesh....
GI: Joe, Rise of Cobra.

Hey, by the same director as the Mummy films...and featuring some of the same actors.

Only, not nearly as good. And do we still need black sidekicks whose main role is to be painfully unfunny? Totally could have done something with that guy and the secondary female character, not like I cared about the main love interest at all.
I still like the movie and will take it any day over the Bayformers films, but yeah, Marlin Wayne is barely tolerable in here. This was still at the time when Hollywood was still doing "funny black side kicks" and plenty of blacks like myself were already sick and tired of it. I am so glad this trope has mainly died down now. The action still holds up well too. Retaliation is better, but not as entertaining, despite being more accurate to the source material.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Basic Instinct - 7/10

I don't think I ever saw it and didn't realize Paul Verhoeven directed it until a Youtube video I watched recently about his movies. It's just a solid, well-acted movie about manipulating people.

Knock Knock - 7/10

Starring Keanu Reeves with a couple girls specifically target him and make his life a complete disaster. It features quite a bit of commentary about the sexes while having really no one (in the movie) be really the winner. Even if someone doesn't like it, they will be entertained.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

All joking aside, I do like the first movie, but I don't obsess over it like some other people. I do like the actual entire franchise, and I thought part 3 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I won't obsess over it, either. What I can say is that the second time around, I "got it" more than the first time. As in, I understand why people hold it in such high regard. I still need to see the other two parts. At some point, I'm sure I will.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Basic Instinct - 7/10

I don't think I ever saw it and didn't realize Paul Verhoeven directed it until a Youtube video I watched recently about his movies. It's just a solid, well-acted movie about manipulating people.

Knock Knock - 7/10

Starring Keanu Reeves with a couple girls specifically target him and make his life a complete disaster. It features quite a bit of commentary about the sexes while having really no one (in the movie) be really the winner. Even if someone doesn't like it, they will be entertained.
Knock Knock was a remake of a movie my dad saw in theaters back in the day and it scared the crap out of him.
If I recall, the girls kinda "win". They do the things they wanted to do and get away with it.

I won't obsess over it, either. What I can say is that the second time around, I "got it" more than the first time. As in, I understand why people hold it in such high regard. I still need to see the other two parts. At some point, I'm sure I will.
Most critics think 2 even better than 1. I agree. When they came to TV a million years ago, the did one that was linear. They edited the two movies together.

I haven't had as high a regard for the movie since Good Fellas came and blew it out of the water. But they are great movies that hold up. I've watched them many times.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Knock Knock was a remake of a movie my dad saw in theaters back in the day and it scared the crap out of him.
If I recall, the girls kinda "win". They do the things they wanted to do and get away with it.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was a remake.

I meant neither side was the knockout winner as far as morality goes, at least with Knock Knock.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I actually started to write a review for this film I was going to post on this forum, but lost interest:

Deathstalker, a 1983 fantasy adventure film filmed in Argentina. First fantasy adventure film I've seen featuring an Argentinian forest, very different look to it. Lots of violence, a little bit of sex, and lots of sexual violence.

Anyhoo, the film starts out quite good in the opening credits, with scruffy bearded monster people moving through a ruin and sneaking up on someone. They got a mime troop to do this, and it works well. The someone they are sneaking up on has a whimpering girl tied and....and it's going to be one of those movies, isn't it? He sees them, picks up a bag of gold and lets some of the money drop out so the can see it, then drops it and runs away, and it's all very good so far. They chase him (one with the nameless female victim over his shoulder) and he meets the hero who kills everyone except the girl. He advances menacingly on her with a knife, but was only going to cut the ropes off her so they can have sex. She seems kinda into it, but he gets distracted for a moment and she runs off topless into the woods.

Yeah, one of those movies.

The hero's name is Deathstalker, and he's soon given a quest to rescue a princess kidnapped by an evil sorcerer who has 2 of the 3 Powers, and to do this he'll need the other Power and if he can get all 3 himself he'll be the Power. Or something. The other power is a magic sword which is being looked after by a monster-person in a cave. He says he was once a normal man, but got cursed into being a monster for being a thief. After he gives Deathstalker the sword he decides to come along, and within 30 seconds of leaving the cave he's been stuck in for 30 years he falls into a river and the curse is lifted. I was expecting him to have to earn this at the end of the film or something, but no.

Not totally unrelatedly, we see the Princess, (who's in the sorcerer's harem having sexualised violence done to her) having to take food from one of the other harem slaves because there isn't enough for everyone, and they all look angrily at her for this but nothing happens. Like they were setting up some fanservice fighting between the scantily clad (or naked) slave girls and changed their minds.

Anyway, along the way to the sorcerer, they are joined by two other warriors. One who will later turn out to be a traitor, and one who immediately turns out to be a woman. In that she appears as a masked and cloaked figure, and there's a swordfight and her outfit comes loose. In most films this would be her mask, but no, in this case her cloak opens up and she's wearing nothing except a G-string underneath. You might think this is shameless and contrived fanservice. You'd be right. Obviously. But I find it sorta interesting in the way they handle it. Once it's revealed that the figure they assumed was a man is in fact a woman, her standing there with her breasts exposed for the rest of the scene is a total non-issue. She's not at all embarrassed and makes no move to cover herself, and the men make no mention of her breasts. Now, I'm guessing they just didn't do a good job with the fanservice, but it comes across as everyone being a mature adult and totally unconcerned with the semi-naked female body.

In the next scene they are all getting ready to sleep next to their campfire, and I looked away for a second and when I looked back the hero has climbed on top of her and they are having sex while the others watch. Um...ok? Again, I'm guessing they just did the fanservice wrong (or forgot a romance subplot), but this has all sorts of implications for the society and sexual mores of this place which the film could explore. Or, you know, drop the fanservice and get on with the story, but if you've got to have it well, it's better than what they do for most of the film. For example, the next bit.

It turns out that the sorcerer is holding a tournament, nominally to find the mightiest warrior to be his heir, but in reality because he wants all the warriors to kill themselves off. Fair enough, in real life the church came down on tournaments because knights kept killing each other instead of Jews and Muslims. When the sorcerer welcomes them all, he says that they should treat his home as their own, and they can rape all his slaves, and he brings in his harem, pointing out the princess and they all start fighting over who gets to rape her. Deathstalker wins, presumably to save the princess, but everyone else isn't worth saving? Also, there's two topless women mudwrestling and while it's not mentioned in the movie, the actresses are sisters. The only women they could get for that part just happened to be sisters? It's presumably not intended as some in-universe incest thing, since their relationship is never mentioned. Odd.

Anyway, the princess is sent to the hero's chamber, only it's one of the sorcerer's men transformed into the princess for a weird fanservice scene. But transforming minions into princesses so heroes won't suspect them makes sense, I guess. The female warrior runs into the minion, comforting her as she presumably thinks the hero has just raped her and is killed in a sword fight a little later, so that was her role.

Then there's a lot of killing

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dune Part 2 (2024)

No offense, but this wasn't for me. There's way too much talent and effort and attention to detail in it for me to say it's bad, but god, am I not the audience for it.

Dune Part 2, retells the second half of Paul Atreides' crusade to drive the Harkonnen dynasty off the planet Arrakis as the leader of the Fremen, assuming the role as their prophesized messiah.

Not to be a killjoy, but productions like this are the reason people think Science-Fiction is for nerds. Dozens of wholly made up languages and cultures and traditions and fashions and machinery and not a single human emotion in the entire thing. It's honestly almost impressive. Now listen, I read the book this is based on half my lifetime ago. And as far as I can tell this movie is not strictly speaking a poor adaptation. For as much as I can remember, most of the same things happen. But its depiction of these plot beats is so mechanical and so bereft of relatable human emotion that I felt alienated all the way through.

Dune 2 is obsessed with worldbuilding. Most of its runtime is worldbuilding. To the point that it's actually jarring whenever a character expresses an intention or an emotion or anything aside from jargon laden, lore heavy exposition in English. Innumerable strange cultural and religious ceremonies are rendered in painstaking detail. There is a fairly lengthy section set on the home world of the villainous Harkonnen dynasty, whose entire aesthetic is pretty much what you get if you put "Star Wars Empire designed by H.R. Giger, photorealistic, high quality" into one of those AI image generators. It's all in black and white (implicitly diagetic because they have a black sun or something, I didn't get and I don't remember whether that was in the book or not) which is so full of compositional and editorial directorial indulgences that I started wondering, and I still do, if all Villeneuve saw in this material was a canvas to project his own visual interests onto.

Bear with me here. Some of what was interesting in the source material is still interesting here. Mainly the whole idea of how a prophecy sets its own fulfillment into motion. Honestly, it really feels like a Monkey's Paw situation. I lamented that the first Dune movie was lacking that orientalist mysticism, where Dune 2 is full of prophecies and visions and rituals but the complete lack of any humanity just turns faith into another mechanical process. Much like love is turned into a process, the relationship between Paul and his Fremen lover Chani somehow feeling less passionate than that of Anakin and Padme.

I mentioned, offhandedly, that I'm way more excited for the uncut releases of Rebel Moon than for any continuation of Dune and honestly, Dune Part 2 was nothing if not an affirmation. People, justifiedly, called out Rebel Moon's characters for being relatively straight forward archetypes, at least in the movies present release, but Dune 2's characters are mere plot devices, moved around to act out the plot of the book, relegated to an empty vehicle for Villeneuve's visual obsessions. Actually, no, let me elaborate on that. Did you ever notice how, in Villeneuve movies, people expressing emotions are presented like someone farting in church? No, hear me out. Remember that one scene in Blade Runner 2049, where K learns that he isn't a naturally born human after all and he briefly loses his composure, cursing his fate? And how it's framed in this weirdly unsympathetic, awkwardly detached way despite being the pivotal moment of his character development? Dune Part 2 is full of emotional moments that are directed almost exactly like that. In a way that alienates the viewer from the characters feelings, rather than letting them take part in them.

I started off writing this review with a verdict of "I respect its attention to detail and sophisticated visual direction but it wasn't for me." in mind but the more I wrote about it, the more I realized: I kinda hated this. Dune 2 is about what I imagine it would look like if one dark day, an AI could create a complete 3 hour movie. Visually sophisticated to the point of saturation, meticulously following the plot of a classic novel. Full of nerdy, detail obsessed world building. And devoid of any heart and soul. It's film making for people who dismiss moral clarity and human compassion in film as "woke". It's a classic story being drowned out by stylistic directorial obsessions in the same way the dreadful Hans Zimmer score (and if there's one person in the industry I wish would finally retire, it's him) is drowning out the dialogue.

Surely there's gotta be some acceptable compromise in high budget film making between Marvel "Playing to the cheap seats" glib banality and this kind of leaden, directorial indulgence. I never thought I'd be the one to stick up for populist cinema but at least I can acknowledge that something like James Cameron's Avatar movies, while much less artistic, are no less of an auteurist project, despite still maintaining accessibility. This just feels decadent. Masturbatory to the point I almost felt embarassed watching it in a theater with other people. With all due respect. Fuck this.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Nandor Fodor and the Talking Mongoose (2022)

This is apparently loosely based on a true story. Simon Pegg plays the historical parapsychologist, Nandor Fodor, who heads off to the Isle of Man with his assistant (Minnie Driver) to investigate rumours of a talking mongoose.

Having somehow managed to watch it, it's one of those movies that makes me wonder: why was this made? I presume it was just some sort of funding/tax wheeze, because it seems no-one put any effort into making it worthwhile otherwise. It's a complete nothing of a movie. It's not mysterious, it's not really funny (it might be intended as a sort of comedy), it's not a good character study, it's definitely not an action or horror film, and it's barely even dramatic. It's about people talking about stuff that isn't interesting, witty or illuminating for the length of a movie. And yet somehow, nor is exactly bad as such. It is however so uniformly, boringly mediocre in every respect that it is almost unbearable to watch.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
La Haine, aka Hate, 9/10

This is a French 90s classic about a group of disenfranchised guys dealing with the rage and aimlessness in their lives. Much like Boyz in the Hood, this doesn't really have much of a story, it's more of a loose narrative dealing with things like poverty, police brutality, racism and all that fun stuff. It's somewhat centered around a recent riot wherein a guy got sent to the hospital after getting beaten by the cops. The film takes place over 24 hours as these guys just wander from place to place and hang out, getting into trouble along the way.

This is deservedly an all-time classic. It's really well written, acted and directed, there's some really impressive, but not showy filmmaking to be found, and its themes are chillingly topical even almost 30 years later. It's a decidedly different film than its reputation, most famous scenes, and even its setup would lead you to understand. The film takes a decidedly naturalistic and down to earth tone in the dialogue, which plays out more conversational than traditional film dialogue. This helps greatly in allowing the viewer to stay engaged with the three main characters, who are almost all completely unlikable dipshits. Vincent Cassel's character Vinz in particular is incredibly brash, macho and abrasive, and he would make a lesser film competely insufferable. But by balancing the characters carefully and having them always have interesting things to say the movie keeps the viewer invested. You don't necessarily like or even relate to these characters, but you are interested in them and want to see where they end up.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bloodshot (2020) - A comic book movie based off the same character. I know nothing of the comic, nor how accurate the film is to the character. Otherwise, it's a good sci-fi movie with some great action and good lighting. Why did critics hate this movie again? It's a sci-fi movie in the vain of Universal Soldier, Upgrade (without the talking AI), and Hardcore Henry. Short version: Vin Diesel plays a navy seal who gets killed, comes back to life injected with nanites, and is out for revenge. That's all I can really say without spoiling anything.

Vin Diesel is actually good in this, and I don't know what people were talking about him "not trying or not there". His character takes a more subtle approach, and is a bit more quiet than someone like Toretto. When the emotional or tense moments hit, Diesel puts in a clear effort, it shows, and he makes it work. I know some people are/were already sick and tired of the F&F movies coming out, but don't blame it on the movie that has nothing to do with the franchise. From what I am seeing, Vin is better here and actually trying than latest F&F movies. I am not sure if this movie is getting a sequel, but it works well enough as a one-off/stand alone movie.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Dune Part 2

Went and saw it this afternoon in DX. It was quite good. I think I liked it better than the first one. I think it's because the first film is largely setup. It did enough to be pretty, but it was definitely a Part One. Like not a movie that deserves a sequel, but one half of a movie. Dune 2 feels like both a story on it's own and a great completion of the story from the first. 10/10 would watch it again.

Now the complaints!

1. The war on Dune is wrapped fairly quickly. Way I recall the book it goes on for a while and there are massive casualties, especially on the Harkonnen, but it's a pretty bloody conflict. The movie shows it more like the freman do a bunch of hits on their spice machines and then Freyd Ratha comes in and shoots a missile at them and ends the conflict. ...what? It feels like something is missing there.

2. The ends on a little bit of an awkward note. The emperor surrenders, the great houses say "No", literally in the same scene they load up all the freman on ships to go fight a holy war and conquer the galaxy. This doesn't make any sense because A. The Great houses have the planet surrounded by warships, they could just blow them all up. B. How exactly are you going to take over the galaxy with a couple million troops.

There's a lot more to it, or so I hear. That the galaxy is technologically weak, most of the great houses don't have much firepower. That said supposedly by the end of the war 62 billion people die. The numbers are difficult to digest. I looked around online, but everyone seems to say "yeah its just super vague, maybe Paul can see the future and win all battles...or something"

The point I'm making however, is that its just a weird scene. Like a bunch of guys with knives are gonna board some ships and take over the galaxy? Could maybe shot it a little differently.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States