Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Predator 2 doesn't get nowhere the scorn it did back in the 90s and 2000s. I love it, and is my personal favorite of the franchise. GB2 I have found memories of and still enjoy, but I know it's not as good as the first. I don't hate it though,
Well yeah Ghostbusters 2 isn’t as good Ghostbusters 1 but all things considered it’s still pretty good. And Predator 2 is as good as Predator 1, come at me Internet!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And Predator 2 is as good as Predator 1, come at me Internet!
A majority of them don't even care at this point. They're too busy hating on The Predator to care, or the really dumb part fandom whining about female lead in Prey.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ghostbusters 2 (and Predator 2) seem to get a weird amount of scorn and I have no idea why. They’re both very solid movies.
I rewatched Predator 2 on a plane last month and it's legitimately great.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think Predator 2 is good. What do people not like about it?
Overall, there's just this unbearable obnoxiousness to it. This is what makes it impossible for me to sit through it for more than 5 minutes at best before I have to change the channel.

Beyond that I find the idea of the Predator in the city to just be stupid. Also, the Predator himself in this movie is just an idiot; just a monster that kills indiscriminately out in the open, as opposed to the stealthy hunter that lurks from the shadows. He bursts into a subway train and just starts murdering everyone, because... 🤷‍♂️ There's no intimidation or cool factor to him. The voice mimicking that was used sparcely and punctually in the first movie, is in the sequel just used willy nilly in an attempt I guess to be creepy but again just makes this Predator come across as an idiot. He feels like the Predator equivalent of someone going on a bender and randomly babbling to passersby.

And Danny Glover just beating him with very little effort makes this Predator feel even more lame than he already was. It was memorable watching Arnie at the height of his 80's action movie stardom get the absolute snot kicked out of him, seeing him reduced to a whimpering child trying to crawl away bloody and bruised. Danny Glover's character has no such struggle or dynamic with the Predator.

Then there's the fact that the first movie kinda extracted all it really needed to from the concept, and any sequel would just feel like retreading old ground and trying to add lore to a creature that frankly isn't that interesting outside of the initial concept. I liked Prey well enough, certainly better than any of the other sequels, but it still felt rather tepid in comparison to the original.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Overall, there's just this unbearable obnoxiousness to it. This is what makes it impossible for me to sit through it for more than 5 minutes at best before I have to change the channel.

Beyond that I find the idea of the Predator in the city to just be stupid. Also, the Predator himself in this movie is just an idiot; just a monster that kills indiscriminately out in the open, as opposed to the stealthy hunter that lurks from the shadows. He bursts into a subway train and just starts murdering everyone, because... 🤷‍♂️ There's no intimidation or cool factor to him. The voice mimicking that was used sparcely and punctually in the first movie, is in the sequel just used willy nilly in an attempt I guess to be creepy but again just makes this Predator come across as an idiot. He feels like the Predator equivalent of someone going on a bender and randomly babbling to passersby.

And Danny Glover just beating him with very little effort makes this Predator feel even more lame than he already was. It was memorable watching Arnie at the height of his 80's action movie stardom get the absolute snot kicked out of him, seeing him reduced to a whimpering child trying to crawl away bloody and bruised. Danny Glover's character has no such struggle or dynamic with the Predator.

Then there's the fact that the first movie kinda extracted all it really needed to from the concept, and any sequel would just feel like retreading old ground and trying to add lore to a creature that frankly isn't that interesting outside of the initial concept. I liked Prey well enough, certainly better than any of the other sequels, but it still felt rather tepid in comparison to the original.
  1. Different predator. Younger and cocky, With some obvious and intentional recklessness thrown in. I know we already been through this but, I'm just pointing it out now.
  2. Danny Glover'scharacter went through more than enough effort to take that guy down. Sure, he had it easier by comparison, but it still wasn't easy. He was knocking at Death's door at least three different times.
  3. While the movie is more over the top, It's not "obnoxious". I really don't get what the naysayers mean nor are talking about.You don't like it; ok, but I find these shallow and nothing excuses From whenever a person says this. They never elaborate or bringing something that has nothing to do with anything. You at leas elaborated enough.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
While the movie is more over the top, It's not "obnoxious". I really don't get what the naysayers mean nor are talking about.You don't like it; ok, but I find these shallow and nothing excuses From whenever a person says this. They never elaborate or bringing something that has nothing to do with anything. You at leas elaborated enough.
There's certain styles of filmmaking that can really hit (personally) when a particular director is at the helm, but completely fall apart when it's almost anyone else directing. Predator 2 feels kinda Verhoeven-esque in its depictions, but lacking the talent of Verhoeven to make it entertaining (for me), and as a result comes across rather repellent. Similar reason as to why Robocop 2 is such a dud for me.

I actually recently watched The Warriors again for the first time in probably 30 years, and it feels like a John Carperter film but directed by someone who just isn't John Carpenter enough.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's certain styles of filmmaking that can really hit (personally) when a particular director is at the helm, but completely fall apart when it's almost anyone else directing. Predator 2 feels kinda Verhoeven-esque in its depictions, but lacking the talent of Verhoeven to make it entertaining (for me), and as a result comes across rather repellent. Similar reason as to why Robocop 2 is such a dud for me.

I actually recently watched The Warriors again for the first time in probably 30 years, and it feels like a John Carperter film but directed by someone who just isn't John Carpenter enough.
Yeah you mentioned that stuff beforehand. It barely feels like a Verhoven movie, and is way better than Robocop 2. As for the Warriors, that came out before Escape from NY. So anything, Carpenter was taking from Hill.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Godzilla X Kong and Godzilla Minus One came out on streaming this week. It's weird juxtaposition in that Minus One is patently a better film, but I'm in no hurry to see it again while I'm getting Godzilla X Kong right now. It's just that Godzilla X Kong is a cathartic breezy smashie smashie thrill ride where as Godzilla Minus One is emotionally taxing. It's like A Beautiful Life or Schindlers List. You saw it once, it was very good, very depressing, not excited to run out and see it again. I'm glad it at least has a happy ending. I've heard a lot of people say it undercuts the drama, but I'm not angling to be depressed.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Immaculate, 8/10

Well, what a way to wash the taste of Rebel Moon out of my mouth. This is a horror movie starring Sydney Sweeney, and could be considered a spiritual successor to Rosemary's Baby: a young nun enters into a faraway convent in Italy, and not long after discovers herself to be pregnant despite ostensibly never having engaged in adult relations, hence the title. Of course this being a horror movie nothing is as it seems, and things start to go off the rails.

It's great. Definitely bound to be one of the best horror movies of the year. It looks great, has heaps of ominous atmosphere, tight pacing and runtime at just under 90 minutes, and the squick factor is a solid 9/10. It's not some splatterfest, but there's some proper wince-inducement here with fantastic effects. It's actually about something which always helps horror movies go down easier, and doesn't rely on cheap jumpscares. And holy moley does Sydney Sweeney act her ass off. I won't spoil it, but the final scene rests entirely on her acting ability alone, and good golly Jesus on a jetski does she pull it off. I'm debating if I should compare her performance to that of Toni Collette in Hereditary, because while Sweeney can't match the nuance and depth of that masterclass, she more than matches it in intensity. It's easily among the best endings to a horror movie I've ever seen, right alongside Talk to Me from last year. It's so satisfying when the ending is the best part of a film, and that scene alone is making me consider bumping this movie even higher.

There's honestly not much I can think of to criticize. There's not necessarily a lot of depth to a lot of the characters, but the script focuses on the areas it needs to. It can be debated whether a certain element from the very end should have gone even farther for maximum payoff, but that's down to personal preference. So yeah, this is a treat of a horror movie, and the kind we should support. This was apparently a personal passion project for Sweeney, and I'm happy to see her pre-emptively go against the grain of being the new "blonde bombshell" of Hollywood.
Oh wow that is great to hear! I really like Sidney Sweeney but the recent on-line culture-war bullshit around her obscured my attention to the movie. I will check it out when I get a chance and ideally if/when my wife is wanting to watch it 'cause she digs horror more than me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Godzilla X Kong and Godzilla Minus One came out on streaming this week. It's weird juxtaposition in that Minus One is patently a better film, but I'm in no hurry to see it again while I'm getting Godzilla X Kong right now. It's just that Godzilla X Kong is a cathartic breezy smashie smashie thrill ride where as Godzilla Minus One is emotionally taxing. It's like A Beautiful Life or Schindlers List. You saw it once, it was very good, very depressing, not excited to run out and see it again. I'm glad it at least has a happy ending. I've heard a lot of people say it undercuts the drama, but I'm not angling to be depressed.
Both movies get my S-Rank seal of approval. I will be seeing GxK more often, but I want both on physical media. Minus One I can see myself watching three or four more times. It's way less depressing than Joker.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Great Silence (1969)

Spaghetti Western by Sergio Corbucci, director of the original Django. A mute gunslinger played by Jean Louis Trintignant faces off against pychopathic bounty killer (a term the movie really insists on) El Tigrere, played by actual psychopath Klaus Kinski, in the snowy mountains of Utah, played by the Alps. Hired by the widow of a man unjustly killed after a a wealthy local businessman put out bounties on some local vagrants unfairly declared outlaws, the mute, simply called "Silence" tries to take justice into his own hands.

After watching a couple of classic american westerns we're now getting to the revisionist phase of the genre, spearheaded by the Italians. Which means the violence is more explicit, the morals are more ambiguous and god know, the endings are a lot bleaker. And not to give anything away, it's difficult to think of a bleaker ending to a western, especially one with as classical a setup as this one. Where Leone's westerns still hold up that a lone man with a gun can make a difference for the better, Corbucci rejects any such notions.

Inspired by a number of then current political assassinations, Corbucci delivers a story about the way law and justice are conflicting, rather than complementary forces. As El Tigrere and his posse arrive in the isolated mountain town of Snow Hill, they resolve to cash in every single bounty in the region, with as much disregard for the difference between innocent or guilty as they have for that between dead or alive, knowing fully well that they have the backing of the richest man in town. And knowing that despite his best intentions, there's little the local sheriff can do about it.

Kinski, perhaps unusually for him, plays a villain whose primary mode is not so much enraged as it is smug and condescending while maintaining his unique sense of psychotic intensity. And there is a point to be made that he's a much more important part of the story than the actual protagonist, whose quest takes on sort of a quixotic character once it becomes clear that there's not much single man, even one who's really good with a gun, can do against an entire band of murderers who are, of course, perfectly within the confines of the law.

The Great Silence is about as straight forwardly subversive a western as you can make. It trades the blistering heat and the red deserts of the southwest with the cold, snowy mountains of Utah, the myth of the heroic nameless pistolero with the reality of a man struggling against impossible odds, the dream of justice against the crushing realization that the law will always be on the side of whoever has the most guns. Even the romantic subplot, between a white man and an African American widow probably still read as somewhat provocative back then. It reads as almost an archetype of a revisionist western but I think it still hasn't lost its impact.