Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think Hades being cast as the villain a lot is almost exclusively due to the fact that being the God of the Underworld makes him the closest thing to to what we understand as the devil.
yes thats basically exactly it, from the western perspective, because someone in charge of the dead HAS to be evil and out for themselves. what other motivation could there be? And zeus is totally all god/santa-y ! I mean look at that big white beard! he's not a bad guy!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom: Pretty good/Great

The title is a bit misleading as the movie isn't so much "about" Ma Rainey, her career and the impact she had on Blues music as it is about the times and black people's role within them. It's 90% anecdotal exposition from her band members with the music popping up from time to time. The pace of the movie is kinda all over the place, but Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (in his final performance) are incredible. Davis' Ma Rainey comes across as a demanding diva whose mere presence is intimidating to everyone around her. She knows she's effectively being exploited by the white studio executives, so she pulls no punches when it comes to exploiting them. Boseman plays a young, headstrong trumpeter with dreams of not only striking out on his own, but with his own vision of Rainey's music, and he and Rainey inevitably come to loggerheads. Other than that, there's really not much to say about the movie; great acting with little substance for anyone expecting a biographic.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
yes thats basically exactly it, from the western perspective, because someone in charge of the dead HAS to be evil and out for themselves. what other motivation could there be? And zeus is totally all god/santa-y ! I mean look at that big white beard! he's not a bad guy!
Yeah, it's kind the issue of a culture trying to interpret a previous cultures icongraphy without understand the culture or their mindset, and since Christianity was all for appropriating symbols of earlier cultures in the areas they dominated(to help the natives transition) without really understand the thinking behind them, stuff like this was bound to happen.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Watched The Prestige.

By far the best Nolan movie for me.

Got it on Bluray. The guy's relative failures are better than others successes. I haven't seen Tenet yet. Likely buy it streaming and have some buds over to watch. Lot of meh about it out there but I also read, it is an under-understood film that is terrific if you pay attention. I multi task while watching movies but was advised to focus when watching "Memento". Good advice. (I hear a remake is in the offing. Ug. Why?). Dark Knight is currently my favorite movie of all time, followed by Empire Strikes Back. I try to watch my favorite scenes in those movies on occasion and find myself watching the entire thing. Have you seen "Following?"

ITMT: I'm working on a home theater, tweaking what I have. Just bought a nice center channel speaker (Polk S35). I watched Terminator 3 and, that may be my new go to movie to check surround sound. While I love the movie itself, the sound is just spectacular. (T2's hallway with roses and shot gun used to be it, then Dark Knight's opening was a scene I used to check surround sound). The movie itself, IMHO, rivals T2. Lot of hate for it. While there is a little silliness in it, the tone over all is darker than T2. Great action and better sci-fi. 9/10

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Parasite
The big foreign language Oscar-winner. Or not very big. It's a small movie, half of it in confined spaces that contrast with the open ones. In the movie a poor family comes up with a plan to infiltrate a rich family's house and life. Maybe a metaphor to relations between South and North Korea. I dunno. There are moments in the movie that leave you scratching your head, but more often it gives an easily digestible morsel of engagement and pulls you in fully soon enough. The drama is more or less Korean in the way that the nuances escape me, but Parasite is still pretty awesome.

Here's the thing though: I don't speak Korean. So that means I get to read subtitles. A lot of them. I'm sure another viewing would improve the experience because I could focus more on what happens in the picture. 8/10

Citizen Kane
Saw it for the first time. It's ok. 10/10

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, watching the Star Wars prequels for the first time in awhile, and Attack of the Clones is just as bad as I remember it.

Padme has some nice outfits, though. Everything not directly concerned with Natalie Portman wearing something new is just meh at best, though.

Still less annoying that Spiderman: Homecoming, though.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Citizen Kane
Saw it for the first time. It's ok. 10/10
You give an "ok" a 10/10? I would give that movie a 10/10, but it's a lot more than OK with me! Especially given that it came out so long ago and has such a fresh, non-linear story line. And it came out 29 years before Christopher Nolan was even born.
I loved Parasite. Very interesting, engaging and unusual. 9/10.

Ok, watching the Star Wars prequels for the first time in awhile, and Attack of the Clones is just as bad as I remember it.

Padme has some nice outfits, though. Everything not directly concerned with Natalie Portman wearing something new is just meh at best, though.

Attack of the Clones was the worst of the 6 IMHO. It is awesome anytime Jango Fett is on screen (4:45?)https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027631145/. The rest of the time it is a shockingly dull slog. Action scenes came across like PS2 game levels rather than movie scenes that advanced the narrative. The worst thing was the Padame/Anakin "romance". Their relationship is good in Revenge. He's a celebrated hero by then. But in this? She appears to be dealing with a bad dental visit while he seems like a Marine private coming on hard and presumptiously to a visiting US Senator.

Reactions: Hawki

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

I still think Phantom Menace is the worse of the Prequels.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, just watched the third one, and...lots of people have opinions as to which of the three were better or worse, but I'm really not seeing anything between them. Just three dull and pointless and forgetable films they've thrown CGI and the odd reference to the original movies at.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Attack of the Clones was the worst of the 6 IMHO. It is awesome anytime Jango Fett is on screen (4:45?)https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027631145/. The rest of the time it is a shockingly dull slog. Action scenes came across like PS2 game levels rather than movie scenes that advanced the narrative. The worst thing was the Padame/Anakin "romance". Their relationship is good in Revenge. He's a celebrated hero by then. But in this? She appears to be dealing with a bad dental visit while he seems like a Marine private coming on hard and presumptiously to a visiting US Senator.
I agree with many, if not all of your points. AotC feels like it had a few redeeming features to me. A lot of it was stupid, gamey or cringey but I did appreciate the whole Palpy setting up a situation where "Well, I guess we need an army now. Oh, look, there's one RIGHT HERE! HOW CONVIENANT, EVERYONE!"

Actually, those might have been the only parts of the movie that I liked. Ironically the Clone Wars series helped justify the existence of Eps 2 and 3 far more then they ever did for themselves.

And I can't find any compelling reason to rewatch EP 1 at all, where I've rewatched AotC at least once since I saw it in theaters.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And I can't find any compelling reason to rewatch EP 1 at all, where I've rewatched AotC at least once since I saw it in theaters.
My personal nostalgia for Ep. 1 aside, I can think of reasons. Ep. 1 is a classic adventure story. Far from perfect, but it's got an understandable template. AotC is just...nothing. There's some fun to be had with Obi-Wan snooping around, but almost nothing about the film works. Maybe worldbuilding, setting the stage for more interesting stories to be told, but ugh.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
... Am I hallucinating or are we once again debating about the Prequels? Didn't we do this exact same thing like two months ago??? Jesus this pandemic is fucking long innit.

Anyway, gonna watch Wonder Woman 2 tonight. Wonder (heh) if it will be interesting enough to make a thread about, or if I'll just talk about it here.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Anyway, gonna watch Wonder Woman 2 tonight.
Wonder Woman 2?

Considering there's 1984 of these films, you have some catching up to do. :p

... Am I hallucinating or are we once again debating about the Prequels? Didn't we do this exact same thing like two months ago??? Jesus this pandemic is fucking long innit.
"No-one is ever really gone."

And so is nothing. Star Wars refuses to die, and that includes the prequels.

Also might help that with the sequel trilogy released, the pros and cons of the PT can be reassessed.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wonder Woman 2?

Considering there's 1984 of these films, you have some catching up to do. :p
Ha ha! But seriously, I hate names like that. What the hell are the gonna call Wonder Woman 3?

"No-one is ever really gone."

And so is nothing. Star Wars refuses to die, and that includes the prequels.

Also might help that with the sequel trilogy released, the pros and cons of the PT can be reassessed.
It does make you wonder, as much as everyone hates the Sequels these days, will time change people's minds? I personally can't see my opinions on the movies themselves changing much, but I think the characters and the setting can still be redeemed.[/quote][/QUOTE]

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I still think Phantom Menace is the worse of the Prequels.
Phantom menace works if you keep the right frame of mind. The entire concept comes from the Flash Gordon serials. So, I watched it keeping that style of acting in mind and it kinda works for me. When I watch young Anankin, I think, "Little Rascals".

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Anyway, gonna watch Wonder Woman 2 tonight. Wonder (heh) if it will be interesting enough to make a thread about, or if I'll just talk about it here.
And.... what'd you do? See it?

I am an MRA. I hate Feminism hitting you over the head as they did in Captain Marvel and Terminator Woke Fate. And I am a Trump supporter and the main bad of this movie has been compared to him.

And I adored this movie anyway.

I've read people think it dull. I never thought so. Maybe not the "Kiss Kiss Bang Bank" pace that is killing movies for all but those with ADD, but I thought the action was plentiful and impactful. Very fun. And the characterizations were terrific. I'm sorry I ever doubted Gal Gadot. She is terrific in this movie. And I appreciate what they did with Chris Pine. His character was given a terrific part and rounded out the cast and characters nicely. 8/10.