Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Having treated myself to a deluxe blu-ray box set of the 'House' movies, I recently got around to watching the first one, from 1985.

The setup is incredibly cool. Vietnam veteran Roger Cobb (William Katt) is haunted not only by the horrors he witnessed in 'Nam, but also by the more recent disappearance of his young son and the subsequent failure of his marriage. The plot is kicked off as Cobb inherits his aunt's mysterious house, which is widely believed to be cursed. As this is where his son disappeared from, Cobb decides to move in and investigate. Supernatural hijinks ensue.

The movie is a bizarre mix of horror and comedy, with the horror elements being considerably better done than the comedy. The highlight is the menacing zombie character who appears towards the finale. This guy is not just some actor in tattered clothes and troweled-on makeup. He is almost completely skeletonized, with guts and bones all visible. All of it is practical effects, too - CGI wasn't a thing in 1985!

I'm gonna give this movie two thumbs up. The quality is of course a little spotty, but it never gets boring - and the aforementioned zombie is worth the admission alone!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
And.... what'd you do? See it?
Great timing, you posted this literally as I was typing up my thoughts.

I was pretty damn bored throughout. I am feeling tired, been off the whole day (let's hope it ain't Corona), so maybe its that, but I really didn't enjoy this.

Good stuff first. Chris Pine is charisma personified. Love that guy. Pedro Pascal was absolutely great in this, and I think for the most part, his Maxwell Lord was handled wonderfully. Easily the best villain in the DCEU, definitely among the best superhero movie villains of all time. Gal Gadot is great, her acting has greatly improved.

Bad stuff. The biggest problem with this movie for me was Kristen Wiig's Cheetah. Fuck, she was such a pain to watch. As Barbara Minerva, she's cringe inducing. As Cheetah, she looks absolutely TERRIBLE, to the point its funny in a bad way, and her motivations are ridiculous.

The action in this movie was pretty mediocre, which for me was very disappointing. The CGI is shockingly bad at times, only made worse by Patty Jenkin's weird obsession with slow motion. She doesn't seem to understand how to make a character with Wonder Woman's power level work, when we know it can. We have Captain America, Thor, Aquaman, etc. Jesus Christ, between Wonder Woman and the Flash, DC can't seem to figure out how to make people run fast without them looking ridiculous.

Then there's the issue of continuity, or the lack thereof. I know it's not Jenkins fault, but hoooo boy did BvS completely fuck up Wonder Woman for all her solo movies. We have yet to see what exactly makes Diana give up on the world of man, because she seems completely fine at the end of this movie. She always shows off VERY significant, game changing new powers that I guess she just didn't feel like using in BvS or Justice League. One of these new powers at least was done well, the other was done soooo fucking stupidly I checked out of the movie for a bit. Just... so dumb. Inexcusably dumb.

The story in general has a great setup, I thought they did Maxwell Lord's powers and storyline really well right up until the end where they just fucked it. He already carried this movie on his back, so I don't understand why they felt the need to Spider-man 3 it and bring in Cheetah. This movie would have EASILY worked without her, and shaved off maybe 40 minutes of runtime. This movie is LONG. But then I guess Wonder Woman wouldn't be able to punch anyone for a finale (which was so weak).

So all in all, yet another casualty of the DCEU's shit decisions. A shame really, I liked most of the characters but pretty much everything else was not up to snuff. Frankly, its just the movie you would expect to end this shit heap of a year.

EDIT: Two things to add. First, I started watching this movie with 5 people, by the end only two of us were left. Everyone else got bored. Second, I wonder if Patty Jenkins' Star Wars career is in trouble now.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Soul.
Have you ever had a kid's, or I suppose "family" movie where you're totally more invested in than any of the uncultured children swine hopping about the house whom you originally put it in for? Well that's what happened for this. They did a music passion and they did it pretty damn good. Need to rewatch though cause kids make a lot of noise, the inconsiderate assholes of which the film was for. This sounds more like a review for the entire concept of children now, so might as well commit and rate them a solid gold "don't." Don't go near them, don't make eye contact, dont feed after midnight and don't leave them near water. But do watch the film, unless you don't want to, in which case I'm concerned as to why you've read this far. The title should've turned you away, but either boredom, depression, kidnapping or compulsive behaviour forced your eyes to continue this horrid farce. Maybe an animated film about music would alleviate these troubling habits for even just a small moment's liberation...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Great timing, you posted this literally as I was typing up my thoughts.

I was pretty damn bored throughout. I am feeling tired, been off the whole day (let's hope it ain't Corona), so maybe its that, but I really didn't enjoy this.

Good stuff first. Chris Pine is charisma personified. Love that guy. Pedro Pascal was absolutely great in this, and I think for the most part, his Maxwell Lord was handled wonderfully. Easily the best villain in the DCEU, definitely among the best superhero movie villains of all time. Gal Gadot is great, her acting has greatly improved.

Bad stuff. The biggest problem with this movie for me was Kristen Wiig's Cheetah. Fuck, she was such a pain to watch. As Barbara Minerva, she's cringe inducing. As Cheetah, she looks absolutely TERRIBLE, to the point its funny in a bad way, and her motivations are ridiculous.

The action in this movie was pretty mediocre, which for me was very disappointing. The CGI is shockingly bad at times, only made worse by Patty Jenkin's weird obsession with slow motion. She doesn't seem to understand how to make a character with Wonder Woman's power level work, when we know it can. We have Captain America, Thor, Aquaman, etc. Jesus Christ, between Wonder Woman and the Flash, DC can't seem to figure out how to make people run fast without them looking ridiculous.

Then there's the issue of continuity, or the lack thereof. I know it's not Jenkins fault, but hoooo boy did BvS completely fuck up Wonder Woman for all her solo movies. We have yet to see what exactly makes Diana give up on the world of man, because she seems completely fine at the end of this movie. She always shows off VERY significant, game changing new powers that I guess she just didn't feel like using in BvS or Justice League. One of these new powers at least was done well, the other was done soooo fucking stupidly I checked out of the movie for a bit. Just... so dumb. Inexcusably dumb.

The story in general has a great setup, I thought they did Maxwell Lord's powers and storyline really well right up until the end where they just fucked it. He already carried this movie on his back, so I don't understand why they felt the need to Spider-man 3 it and bring in Cheetah. This movie would have EASILY worked without her, and shaved off maybe 40 minutes of runtime. This movie is LONG. But then I guess Wonder Woman wouldn't be able to punch anyone for a finale (which was so weak).

So all in all, yet another casualty of the DCEU's shit decisions. A shame really, I liked most of the characters but pretty much everything else was not up to snuff. Frankly, its just the movie you would expect to end this shit heap of a year.

EDIT: Two things to add. First, I started watching this movie with 5 people, by the end only two of us were left. Everyone else got bored. Second, I wonder if Patty Jenkins' Star Wars career is in trouble now.
I guess the two things that I keep wondering about are:

1. Is there a plot to this one, because I keep seeing the same clips over and over again in trailers and video reviews and as far as I can tell it's something something Chris Pine's not dead character something something Pedro Pascal doing Trump somerthing something Kristin Wigg becomes a sexy assertive catgirl because reasons? None of the reviews have mentioned much in the way of plot. I mean, I know it's s superhero filck so plot isn't a huge deal but still i would like to know if it's not just setpieces.

2. Is there a reason for Chris Pine's character to be not dead? Okay, is there a GOOD reason?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I guess the two things that I keep wondering about are:

1. Is there a plot to this one, because I keep seeing the same clips over and over again in trailers and video reviews and as far as I can tell it's something something Chris Pine's not dead character something something Pedro Pascal doing Trump somerthing something Kristin Wigg becomes a sexy assertive catgirl because reasons? None of the reviews have mentioned much in the way of plot. I mean, I know it's s superhero filck so plot isn't a huge deal but still i would like to know if it's not just setpieces.

2. Is there a reason for Chris Pine's character to be not dead? Okay, is there a GOOD reason?
I'd say only Pedro Pascal's character really has a plot. Wonder Woman and Steve don't really have much to do besides their relationship, and Cheetah isn't worth mentioning.

Steve's ressurection is... weird. He is still technically dead, which now that I think about it is never really brought up. Him being back though is pretty much Diana's only motivation this whole movie.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Wonder Woman 1984 was alright, but cheetah sucked so much. I just like the movie for the fact is has bright colors, and the ending was a philosophical battle of fake news and dangerous wishes vs truth and acceptance.

And I really like Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor. It's so rare to see in movies and stories having actual good couples who complement each other and are competent in what they do.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It does make you wonder, as much as everyone hates the Sequels these days, will time change people's minds? I personally can't see my opinions on the movies themselves changing much, but I think the characters and the setting can still be redeemed.
I can see the sequels being re-evaluated, but there's something your question leaves out, and that's younger audiences (unless you're younger yourself maybe).

For a lot of kids, the sequels are going to be their first exposure to Star Wars, or at least, the sequels will be part of a larger Star Wars universe that they're exposed to from day 1. They won't have grown up with the old EU. They won't have had a huge gap in movie releases. And considering that a lot of the problems with the sequels are how they relate to the OT (TFA aping ANH, Last Jedi 'ruining' Luke, Rise bringing back Palpy), for younger audiences, the issues that we see may not be present. Or even if they are, they might be mitigated. Speaking from personal experience, I was introduced to Star Wars in more or less a straight continuum, with the OT being re-released in cinemas in the mid 90s, then going straight on to the prequel trilogy. And while I can better critique the prequels as an adult, the way I was introduced to Star Wars certainly influenced how I saw Star Wars, and every so often, I encounter someone saying something similar. And it arguably helps that the sequels are at least better crafted than the prequels.

So, on the one hand, I can imagine there being a fanbase for the sequels that, a decade or so for now, might be wondering about us 'old grumps.'

On the other, there's the idea of 'redeeming' them, which I assume in this case is through expanded material. Kind of like how people say the Clone Wars cartoon 'redeems' the prequels. I dunno at this point. Looking at Disney's slate of TV shows and one (1!) film, they seem more intent on cashing in on nostalgia rather than the current era, and besides, the ST leaves less wriggle room for fleshing stuff out, sans the one year gap between Last Jedi and Rise. Maybe something leading up to the trilogy, maybe something directly after it, but even the OT had wriggle room for stories, in that three years pass between ANH and Empire, and 1 year between Empire and Return. Plus, there's the Star Wars Resistance series. People love Clone Wars. Things are mixed on Rebels. In contrast, Resistance seems forgotten.

So, TL, DR, maybe a decade or so from now, but right now, Disney seems to want to give it a wide berth.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Looks like I'm just in time for this party. And I don't wish for it to end. But in return, I had to watch one boring movie. A few pages back I trashed Birds of Prey for being a disaster, and well... they come in many shapes. I wasn't bored through Birds of Prey, it was entertaining in a macabre way like a car on fire, but WW'84 is guilty of this. Except the Cairo trip in the middle of the movie I was bored. However I enjoyed the absurdity of the plot itself and how it gave a fresh angle on the characters who could've been regular cape-movie people with their regular cape-movie motivations. Instead we get a genuine sense of wonder and amazement through Diana, Steve, Barbara and Max. Messages about truth, what's real, what to hold on to, and of course the good old L O V E! Thus it's not a very cynical movie, a little bit though, the demographic reach: female empowerment is a given, the burden of being a hot female in a man's world yes, and the clothes ohmygod! I can imagine women watching this and saying: "Don't you just wish you could do that? Wear that and move like that?"

Action scenes, meh. Very floaty. And Cheetah? Who cares she is in it for 5 minutes! The rest is a fashion show for Kristen Wiig. Half of the movie is a fashion flashback to the 80s though I'm not even sure it's authentic, in fact it looks very anachronistic. As a whole the thing just drags. I'd say every "generic" superhero film moment drags heavily. Also Max's kid doesn't look like him at all so we're supposed to believe he has adopted? C'mon...

I wish for my... holy shit, 151 minutes back. Too bad you only get one. Glad I didn't pay to see it. 4/10

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Soul.
Have you ever had a kid's, or I suppose "family" movie where you're totally more invested in than any of the uncultured children swine hopping about the house whom you originally put it in for? Well that's what happened for this. They did a music passion and they did it pretty damn good. Need to rewatch though cause kids make a lot of noise, the inconsiderate assholes of which the film was for. This sounds more like a review for the entire concept of children now, so might as well commit and rate them a solid gold "don't." Don't go near them, don't make eye contact, dont feed after midnight and don't leave them near water. But do watch the film, unless you don't want to, in which case I'm concerned as to why you've read this far. The title should've turned you away, but either boredom, depression, kidnapping or compulsive behaviour forced your eyes to continue this horrid farce. Maybe an animated film about music would alleviate these troubling habits for even just a small moment's liberation...
Yeah, it's a pretty great movie. I feel like Pixar is just kind of dunking on everyone though at this point in terms of animation. I did have a couple of things that I felt were a little off:
Isn't it weird how Joe never actually dies? His initial accident just lands him in the hospital with a coma and makes the resulting "have to send him to the afterlife" plot feel a bit like they're trying to kill him. Also, it seems like the last 10 mins or so of the movie were cut out, because it doesn't feel like we resolved Joe's arc with his teaching vs. just playing in the band. It really felt like he was going to come to realize that he liked teaching while showing Earth to 22, and he didn't seem fulfilled after his performance, though that may have been regret over being a dick.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Disappointed to read about a bad Cheetah in the WW film. Cat themed villainesses are a bit boring, but they made her (at least in some of the comics) not just another cute kitty, but a "Rawr, I will eat your face" scary cat monster, which was cool.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can see the sequels being re-evaluated, but there's something your question leaves out, and that's younger audiences (unless you're younger yourself maybe).
Fair enough. I only have my baby sister as reference, she really liked Rey and the sequel craze really brought her into Star Wars (brought a tear to my eyes to see her reading Star Wars books and drawing lightsabers in her notebook). But she was crazy disappointed by TRoS. She's a smart kid, so maybe most other children don't have a problem with that clusterfuck.

Disappointed to read about a bad Cheetah in the WW film. Cat themed villainesses are a bit boring, but they made her (at least in some of the comics) not just another cute kitty, but a "Rawr, I will eat your face" scary cat monster, which was cool.
She was Cheetah for MAYBE 2 minutes, tops.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'd say only Pedro Pascal's character really has a plot. Wonder Woman and Steve don't really have much to do besides their relationship, and Cheetah isn't worth mentioning.

Steve's ressurection is... weird. He is still technically dead, which now that I think about it is never really brought up. Him being back though is pretty much Diana's only motivation this whole movie.
So Cheetah is there just for the Sexy/Scary Cat lady thing? Too bad.

At least it sounds like Pedro Pascal is fun to watch as usual.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So Cheetah is there just for the Sexy/Scary Cat lady thing? Too bad.
It's pretty obvious from the trailers, but yeah her entire shtick is that she's so timid, nerdy, unpopular, etc. That's supposed to be her main motivation, and I guess what makes her relatable.

But Jesus Christ, she has FOUR degrees and a doctorate, works in the fucking Smithsonian, and lives a very comfortable life. Am I supposed to feel sorry for her?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It's pretty obvious from the trailers, but yeah her entire shtick is that she's so timid, nerdy, unpopular, etc. That's supposed to be her main motivation, and I guess what makes her relatable.

But Jesus Christ, she has FOUR degrees and a doctorate, works in the fucking Smithsonian, and lives a very comfortable life. Am I supposed to feel sorry for her?
So does she rub a magic cheetah statue by accident or something? I've heard something about a monkey's paw type plot device being invovled.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So does she rub a magic cheetah statue by accident or something? I've heard something about a monkey's paw type plot device being invovled.
Basically, there exists a stone that grants wishes. Barbara wishes to be like Diana, which gives her Diana's strength.

She then wishes, again, to be "an apex predator". Which apparently means a cheetah. Not a hawk, or a snake, or a shark, but specifically a cheetah. For no other reason than that she's a cheetah in the comics. Her being a Cheetah doesn't seem to have given her any extra powers other than claws and the ability to run on all fours. And looking like a furry I guess. So incredibly dumb.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
She was Cheetah for MAYBE 2 minutes, tops.
It's a whole 5. From when we first see her in the fur to the electric knockout. And yeah, she got her "apex predator" transformation from... where? Did someone's pet cat make a wish too? Selina Kyle? Also there is a nice little mid-credits scene.

Nowadays especially it's not too uncommon for some women to put their career (business or academic) completely before their social life and it's probably the more nerdy types that do it. However, Barbara seems to get rejected without a good reason which, while not being realistic, would be a reason for her pent up anger.

I actually gained one good thing about WW'84: had a wonderful dream with Gal Gadot last night. <3 I wonder what I lost in return.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Snowpiercer.

I'd never actually seen this one, despite loving Memories of a Murder and Parasite. A pretty good action-y post-apocalyptic movie. Really liked the setting and the plot of it. Great pacing. Interesting twists. Quite violent, and, as I've found a tendency in Korean cinema in general, pulls no punches. Quite the standout movie, honestly. 4/5.

Reactions: Trunkage

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, it's a pretty great movie. I feel like Pixar is just kind of dunking on everyone though at this point in terms of animation. I did have a couple of things that I felt were a little off:
Isn't it weird how Joe never actually dies? His initial accident just lands him in the hospital with a coma and makes the resulting "have to send him to the afterlife" plot feel a bit like they're trying to kill him. Also, it seems like the last 10 mins or so of the movie were cut out, because it doesn't feel like we resolved Joe's arc with his teaching vs. just playing in the band. It really felt like he was going to come to realize that he liked teaching while showing Earth to 22, and he didn't seem fulfilled after his performance, though that may have been regret over being a dick.
I know what you mean and see those criticisms quite clearly, it's just they mostly felt somewhat justifiable in one way or another. Like with the...wait, spoiler barrier hasn't been deployed yet...
Like with the death logistics, it's a well worn trope I've seen before where it's never really death unless you go through the light, so running away from the light fits in with the established trope of denying whatever the idea of "destiny" is by sheer willpower. I did appreciate the weird mouse character who seemed to have a curious grim reaper role where they could rip the soul from a body whenever they wanted. Those moments must have been mini comas or something, I've no idea, it's kinda following the language of past stories to do with the soul and afterlife with the odd twist and a surprise Richard Ayoade.

With the arc, I think there was a much more subtle one, and one that felt unexpectedly relateable, about over-romanticising and focusing too heavily on the idea of one's "purpose" in life. Especially with that quote about the fish wanting the ocean. He did get what he thought he wanted but it was not what he had built up in his own head over the years to expect. Fulfillment is often much more complicated.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Dr Sleep. It's fine, the book was better I think. The link to The Shining feels quite tenuous, but it maybe wouldn't have worked as a standalone either.

Cats. Just awful.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde