Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Snyder might wake up tomorrow and decide to make a Live Action MechWarrior adaptation and I would watch it because why not, itll be weird
This is the most insanely pedantic thing I've ever said, but I can't even agree with that. There is no interesting weirdness or fascination in Snyder's films for easily the past 10 years. They're all the same: predictably juvenile, pretentious, self-serious slop that's edgy and violent for its own sake. Full of bits so obviously lifted from other things I can practically see the glue with which he put different names and faces on things. And whenever there is something baffling or weird, it's not so in an interesting way where you go "Oh this is really weird, what were they going for with this?" It's more "Oh god, what the fuck were they thinking with this?"

I went to his IMDB and to my horror I realized I'd completely blanked Army of the Dead from my mind, that's how much his movies blur together. His works with preestablished intellectual properties might as well be summed up with this SNL skit. I still consider Snyder an auteur because he seems to be one of a handful of directors working today who has a style and aesthetic all their own; you'll never mistake a Snyder film for anything else. It's just that in Snyder's case that sensibility is one which considers a Big Mac to be the height of cuisine.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Inside Out 2 in the theaters:

I'll only give it a C as, it is O.K. but seems like Inside Out 1. Just, not enough new in it to justify it's existence.

One tiny amusing bit:

Kid wakes up with a pimple. New stage of life! Also liked when "Anxiety" is going bonkers in the final hockey game.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still have my DVD copy of the first movie.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I watched Footloose. Surely the idea of banning dancing was already seen as silly in 1984, no matter how small and backwards or super religious a town could be? The movie would've worked better if it took place at least back in the 50s. Or even earlier - Reefer Madness time. In 1984 I just don't buy it. They paint it so the town is haunted by the memory of a group of kids who died drinking-and-driving, but what's dancing - or even loud music - have to do with that?

The movie is all over the place. It has this corny 80s energy and likes to tune out the plot to throw around montages and music videos. But every now and then it gets absurdly nasty with scenes of violence that seem way too intense for the story (one in particular - the local bully beats the crap out of the lead girl, leaving her all bruised and bloodied). Then there's John Lithgow and Dianne Wiest acting out scenes like they're in an Ingmar Bergman movie, or what might as well be a different planet.

Loosely based on events that took place in the small, rural, and extremely religious farming town of Elmore City, Oklahoma in 1978. Dancing had been banned for nearly ninety years, until a group of high school teenagers challenged it.
Alright then.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Man On A Ledge: Really Good / Great

Sam Worthington plays Nick Cassidy, a prisoner who learns his last appeal has been denied, and he will be serving a 25 year sentence. When his father passes away, he's granted a leave to attend the funeral. Situation escalates, and he manages to escape. A month later and on the lam, he finds himself on the ledge of a posh hotel ostensibly threatening suicide. A negotiator comes to talk him down, but it soon because evident his game of checkers is actually chess...

Really good movie. Surprisingly solid film, a solid cast, from 2012, yet I somehow managed to have never even heard of it. It respects your time, and the constant shots of Cassidy's view of the crowded streets at the bottom of a potentially +20-story drop really ramps up the anxiety you feel as you're trying to suss out what the hell is REALLY going on. Recommended.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Re-review, but man, I was way too hard on this movie before.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm in the middle of job searching, with no luck so far, so to keep myself occupied and feeling less down about it, I have a system set up where I have a list of 10 potential reviews, and roll a 10 sided dice to pick the next one.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm in the middle of job searching, with no luck so far, so to keep myself occupied and feeling less down about it, I have a system set up where I have a list of 10 potential reviews, and roll a 10 sided dice to pick the next one.
Aw, that's pretty sucky, but good you're not letting it get to you. And best of luck, hope you find something soon.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Deadpool Vs Wolverine.

Much like Spider-Man No Way Home, this is a movie that was built for millennial nostalgia and not much else. And much like Spider-Man No Way Home, it's a fun movie, but not necessarily a "good movie." Too much of the movie relies on the audience being aware of 20-30 year old movies that are outside of the MCU, and in some cases being aware of movies that don't even exist and the Hollywood drama behind why they don't exist. For people who weren't invested in super hero movies before Ironman, or who aren't engrossed in the latest Comicon gossip, this movie would be an absolute mess. For those who have an awareness of not just comic books but the industry surrounding them, they probably laughed at a shoe store called Liefeld's Just Feet.

A lot of this can be forgiven (by me) because my friends and I are part of the target audience, and the movie is overall pretty fun. The jokes also mostly hit, and this is the most I've heard a movie audience actually laugh in quite some time.

The movie pokes a lot of fun at the current Marvel "multi-verse phase" and how much the multiverse sucks and how hard Disney are fucking it up. I actually considered that Disney might be actively trying to pull the plug on the whole multiverse concept and might be using this movie to say farewell to the concept as they reboot things. This would be highly welcome, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

This movie is very much a product of its time. This will not be a timeless classic. A lot of the content of the movie only really makes sense right now and its jokes will probably be significantly less poignant in 10 years time (or whenever the next Blade movie gets released).

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States