Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I feel like that speaks volumes to the desperate attempts of Hollywood to push very specific character types into movies and TV, and games to a lesser extent. When a story is so hyper focused on a very specific experience, you loose a big chunk of potential audience because it's way to niche. In this case it's a movie about the trans experience set in the world of Batman and that's too conflicting of a cross up.

Part of the reason why entertainment tends to lack a hyper specific story or experience, (trans, racial, whatever) is you alienate audiences that way. Those stories work great in the small budget indie film or Sundance style filming making and a lot of those films can be really fantastic.

In big budget films the experiences that the people face are specifically more generalized. You as the audience member are suppose to take the situation in the film and relate it back to your own personal experiences in your own way. A big example of this is the stereotype of the nerdy kid being bullied in school, people can relate to that because bullying happens to most people for different reasons. So you relate to the nerd even if you are not a nerd because bullying is a sort of cross over experience. And you can equate this to any number of experiences that are fairly generic in the big Hollywood space. The typical "save the wife/girlfriend/daughter" thing is something we can all understand because regardless of who your partner is, you can relate to wanting to save someone you love who is in trouble. Alternatively you can relate to the dream of being a hero, or dream of going on an adventure.

Bravo for a film trying to portray the trans experience, but it's such a niche and limiting thing that it will be very hard for the general audience to relate to or even understand. Maybe it'll pay off thanks to the batman branding, but I feel like most people who know nothing about the movie will come away with a confused disconnected feeling about it much like you describe and when word gets out about the plot and characters I don't think it'll bring in box office numbers the way they hope.
It's a super low budget indie movie, I don't think it expects or needs to appeal to a wide audience. It's about as far from being a "Hollywood" movie as anything made in America can be.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's a super low budget indie movie, I don't think it expects or needs to appeal to a wide audience. It's about as far from being a "Hollywood" movie as anything made in America can be.
That surprises me that it didn't have more budget because of it's use of the licensed characters. I thought it was just jankly made for the purpose of the psychological state of the comedy it's trying to portray, but maybe it was jank because it had no money. huh, well never mind then.

Oh $16,000 gross opening weekend. It reviewed rather well, but maybe that's because it only attracted that niche audience and they loved it. Well there you go then, it sort of proved my point minus the mistake on budgetting. Wow I thought that had much more funding behind it.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
That surprises me that it didn't have more budget because of it's use of the licensed characters. I thought it was just jankly made for the purpose of the psychological state of the comedy it's trying to portray, but maybe it was jank because it had no money. huh, well never mind then.

Oh $16,000 gross opening weekend. It reviewed rather well, but maybe that's because it only attracted that niche audience and they loved it. Well there you go then, it sort of proved my point minus the mistake on budgetting. Wow I thought that had much more funding behind it.
Yeah, that's the thing. This is not an officially licensed movie, it's a completely independent parody.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, that *1/2 rating goes to A Good Day To Die Hard. Die Hard 4.0 I wouldn't even call close to bad. At it's worst the movie is a 3/5. I wouldn't even get it that low of rating either. The movie is slightly better than Die Hard 2, but I love all four the movies.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I am afraid of the last Die Hard film from what I hear. As for the rating, I would have given it more of a 2-2.5 star rating based on it as an action movie, but it just felt like it went against so much of what makes Die Hard Die Hard that I dinged it extra.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
it just felt like it went against so much of what makes Die Hard Die Hard that I dinged it extra.
That doesn't make any sense to me. Say whatever you will about 4.0, but at least it still feels like DH movie. Even it's more over-the-top in some places. Bruce Willis was still putting in actual effort. If you thought this movie was bad or own a low scale, then Good Day is going to make you wish for 4.0 a million times over. McCLane is a straight up asshole in Good Day and comes off as someone's poor interpretation of John McClane. That "McClane" in Good Day is in-name only.

Lethal Weapon 4 got the most over-the-top, and barely anyone ever complained about that, aside from some snobby critics nobody remembers nor cares.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
You just said it. It's too over-the-top. What really makes a Die Hard movie Die Hard, for me, is that they are relatively grounded. Sure, they stretched it in Die Hard 2 at points, but in Die Hard 4.0, you have McClane taking out helicopters with a car, falling multiple stories and bouncing off of vents to break his fall, then getting back up to get in a car, falling multiple stories again to slide down a concrete slab none the worse for wear...

I don't disagree with Bruce Willis at least putting in the effort. That was one of the things that made the movie better than it could have been, for sure. He at least felt like John McClane still...just transplanted into another series and injected with action hero juice.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sure, they stretched it in Die Hard 2 at points,
Honestly, Die Hard 2 is more grounded than or compared to 3, and yet 3 is better than 2 by most people. A whole plane of people died so Colonel Stuart could prove a point, and to show that trauma and fear don't go away easy. Colonel Stuart and his men are the only antagonists to be 100% legit terrorist that aren't just glorified bank robbers nor posing as them. That is something DH2 will always have over all the others.

You just said it. It's too over-the-top.
you have McClane taking out helicopters with a car, falling multiple stories and bouncing off of vents to break his fall, then getting back up to get in a car, falling multiple stories again to slide down a concrete slab none the worse for wear...
And it is fucking awesome! Also, I wouldn't go that far. He does limp for a minute and has scarring or bruising. It ain't Die Hard 1 levels of realistic/grounded injuries, but grounded enough.

Your complaints remind me of this Penny Arcade comic back in 2007 when the film came out.

That was one of the things that made the movie better than it could have been, for sure. He at least felt like John McClane still...just transplanted into another series and injected with action hero juice.
You just said it. It's too over-the-top.
Once again: wait until you get to Die Hard 5. 5 makes 4 look like a documentary in comparison.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You just said it. It's too over-the-top. What really makes a Die Hard movie Die Hard, for me, is that they are relatively grounded. Sure, they stretched it in Die Hard 2 at points, but in Die Hard 4.0, you have McClane taking out helicopters with a car, falling multiple stories and bouncing off of vents to break his fall, then getting back up to get in a car, falling multiple stories again to slide down a concrete slab none the worse for wear...

I don't disagree with Bruce Willis at least putting in the effort. That was one of the things that made the movie better than it could have been, for sure. He at least felt like John McClane still...just transplanted into another series and injected with action hero juice.
The Red Letter Media guys once mentioned if you watch the series backwards, each Die Hard movie is better than the last!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Superstar

Molly Shannon, who made a career in comedy out of playing characters who're way younger or way older than she really is, plays a high school student obsessed with stardom (Shannon was 35, playing 17). Watching the movie 800 times on cable in the early aughts I always thought she was just shy and awkward; today she'd probably get diagnosed with something. Well, I guess they put her in special ed, although that just seems to be the place where they dump the weirdoes in the movie, who aren't much weirder than the rest of the students.

Like every other SNL movie this is basically an overlong sketch about a wacky character that can only really work for so long before they lose the funny. But I think the funny stays for the most part. Roger Ebert called the Mary Katherine Gallagher unlikable but I think that's what's so funny about her, that she's an entitled asshole who really cannot afford to be (per the movie's logic she's neither pretty, smart or popular) and gets by on enthusiasm despite being so painfully awkward.

Some of the humor doesn't land - I don't think any of Katherine's one-note schoolmates are very funny -and the mean girl shtick works much better in, uh, Mean Girls. But overall I like the movie. Molly Shannon rocks. Sue me.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
" In addition, before they decided to use Lucy Gennaro instead of Jack McClane, Justin Timberlake was considered for the role, while Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears auditioned after the switch. "

Wait, what? That would have been...well...as it stands the movie wasn't very good. So, stick Britney in and maybe?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, that *1/2 rating goes to A Good Day To Die Hard. Die Hard 4.0 I wouldn't even call close to bad. At it's worst the movie is a 3/5. I wouldn't even get it that low of rating either. The movie is slightly better than Die Hard 2, but I love all four the movies.
I'd give 4 a 4/5. I really love that movie. Sure it has some issues. Can you really send a signal to a normal computer over the Internet to cause it to explode? I don't think they ever say they planted a bomb in it. Could be wrong. Taking out a helicopter with a motor bike? John vs. an F18, John wins (still love that scene)! But John seems like John. I greatly enjoyed Justin Long. They created a wonderful sense of dread: that I don't doubt there are techies would love to jumble the numbers to rip us all off. Die Hard 5 was a jumbled mess. I don't know who Bruce Willis was playing but it wasn't John McClain. Rather than a coherent story, one might hear a writer shouting "plot twist" over and over again with no reason. Jai Courtney was a charisma black hole. And I believe they leap away from danger in a way that just should have resulted in 2 smears like "The Other Guys" not just once but twice. Then again, I may have odd taste. Loved Terminator 3 as well.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
A Family Affair

The second of two romcoms this year centered on a May/December relationship between a single MILF and the young male celeb who used to be worshipped by her even younger daughter, who is of course horrified by the whole thing.

What this movie has over The Idea of You is a sense of humor; in fact it's mostly focused on com, where The Idea of You was all about the rom. My problem with The Idea of You was that it was a little bit embarrassed for itself, and in adapting the book they made the mom younger, the hunk older and the daughter not at all interested in him (she's over that particular boy band - "That was so seventh grade" - by the time movie starts). Ok, so that means there isn't a whole lot of conflict going on. Anne Hathaway second-guessing her sex appeal doesn't cut it, especially when she starts off the movie looking like her Devil Wears Prada glowup. The paparazzi get on her nerves towards the end, but that's about it.

A Family Affair, on the other hand, is very much rooted in the conflict of interest that is a mother fucking her daughter's boss. Nicole Kidman is 20 years older than Zac Efron but the age thing never really comes up; the source of conflict is that the daughter is upset that the affair may affect her career (for better or worse, either to her chagrin) and more importantly, knows that Zac has a thing for meaningless flings (with the breakups often being stage-managed by the daughter) and is afraid her mom will get the same treatment. Joey King overplays the part a little bit but she basically lands the humor of being trapped in an awkward stituation. And Kathy Bates shows up in a few scenes to class up the movie well above its means.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
A Family Affair

The second of two romcoms this year centered on a May/December relationship between a single MILF and the young male celeb who used to be worshipped by her even younger daughter, who is of course horrified by the whole thing.

What this movie has over The Idea of You is a sense of humor; in fact it's mostly focused on com, where The Idea of You was all about the rom. My problem with The Idea of You was that it was a little bit embarrassed for itself, and in adapting the book they made the mom younger, the hunk older and the daughter not at all interested in him (she's over that particular boy band - "That was so seventh grade" - by the time movie starts). Ok, so that means there isn't a whole lot of conflict going on. Anne Hathaway second-guessing her sex appeal doesn't cut it, especially when she starts off the movie looking like her Devil Wears Prada glowup. The paparazzi get on her nerves towards the end, but that's about it.

A Family Affair, on the other hand, is very much rooted in the conflict of interest that is a mother fucking her daughter's boss. Nicole Kidman is 20 years older than Zac Efron but the age thing never really comes up; the source of conflict is that the daughter is upset that the affair may affect her career (for better or worse, either to her chagrin) and more importantly, knows that Zac has a thing for meaningless flings (with the breakups often being stage-managed by the daughter) and is afraid her mom will get the same treatment. Joey King overplays the part a little bit but she basically lands the humor of being trapped in an awkward stituation. And Kathy Bates shows up in a few scenes to class up the movie well above its means.
Man.. Hollywood is really on one lately lol

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Rebel Moon: The Director's cut, 2/10

I'm lumping these together as one whole, because I want you people to know what i suffered through. I already loved to hate the original Rebel Moon movies, so I jumped at the chance to rot my brain for a whopping 5+ hours of this shit. Does the longer runtime benefit the movies? Yes. Does it make them better movies? Yes. Are they more fun to watch as a result. Fuuuuuuuuuuck no.

This is pretty much exactly what I was expecting: Zack the Hack Snyder delivers the most pompous, self-important, gratuitous, overblown and least original sci-fi pile of dogshit this side of Mars with the director's cuts. Like you'd expect, the movies benefit only in the most marginal of ways from the longer runtime: some of the plotholes are smoothed over, some of the character stuff gets a little more depth, and some of the worldbuilding makes the tiniest bit more sense. But for me the joy of these movies was specifically how little sense it all made, so what's left is a massively pretentious, overly bloated cannon blast of shit. The stuff that was hilariously awful is still present, but it's diluted down due to being much more spread out from all the gratuity: more slo-mo, more tits, more gore, basically none of which serves or benefits the story.

The characters, despite having the better part of the length of the LOTR trilogy to flesh out, are still as flat as fucking cardboard. The worldbuilding still makes you ask questions every goddamn scene. The shock value and writing are still juvenile and shallow as all hell. The universe never rises above being a $2 ripoff of Star Wars, Warhammer 40k and Dune. The visuals are possibly even uglier this time around: bafflingly, some of the backgrounds that were out of focus in the original are now in focus, and it makes for a wildly incoherent viewing experience. The utterly inexplicable fish eye lens used in a ton of scenes still doesn't make a lick of sense. Speaking of which, neither do the fucking subtitles. This has to be some sort of record, where 2 movies have a total of 4 subtitles, and none of them make any sense. I never got the idea what the fuck "A Child of Fire", "Chalice of Blood" or "The Curse of Forgiveness" were supposed to refer to. "The Scargiver" I can at least understand a tiny bit, but it's still shallow and pretentious as fuck.

Everything bad from the original versions is still present, so I'll try to be positive and focus on the stuff that works at least more: the worlbuilding is a bit more cohesive this time around, and gives at least an inkling of a justification for why the universe works like it does. There are occasional bits of character building that at least hint at some sort of arc. So marginal improvements across the board. But that just means the hilarious awfulness is mostly replaced by crushing mediocrity and boredom, which is even worse as a viewing experience. Zack Snyder still has the depth of a petri dish as a writer, and it's made worse by how self-serious this colossal pile of feces is. The staggering amount of extended runtime (close to 50%) is used for the most pointless, gratuitous, utterly meaningless shit you can imagine. There's still zero group dynamic, still zero characterization, still no sense of why these characters have decided to come together. The dialogue is still pretentious, juvenile and massively self-satisfied at the same time, like every line is supposed to bear huge significance.

It's absolutely godawful in every respect. It's not even funny bad, it's just really fucking boring. It's irredeemable, irreparable, fundamentally broken. I want Zack Snyder to get blacklisted for life after these movies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I want Zack Snyder to get blacklisted for life after these movies.
Wow, that bad huh? I am so glad I didn't go crazy over him and kept him within director distance. I like his work on Man of Steel and Dawn of the Dead Remake, but that is about it.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
MAJOR CONTRIVERSIAL OPINION ON DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE INCOMING

It was aight. I didn't quite feel the emotional core of Deadpool or Deadpool 2. It was more jokes than substance. Minor plot spoilers in that the emotional core here is that Deadpool wants his existence to matter and Wolverine is a loser because he got drunk and didn't show up for work on one of the apocalypse days. It just didn't really resonate with me so for me the movie was primarily cameos references and humor.

It was still good, but I think this is the teetering edge between Deadpool is being great and John Leguizamo's "The Pest". A recurring theme throughout the movie is Wolverine telling Deadpool to stfu. It's great here, but if they do a forth one this could start growing a bit of fungus.

All that said it's still an 8/10. Good movie. I'll inevitably watch it several more times, I just don't expect it to be on rotation at my house like the first two.

On a side note if you have a kink for evil women so crazy it's kinda hot, like annie lennox sweet dreams hot *woof* maybe watch this in private because Emma Corrin is ...scary as the character you see in the trailer cause I'd rather not spoil any comic reference stuff for fans.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs