Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Where do you see "Await Further Instructions"?
On Netflix U.S. The acting is bad and it shows the themes I mentioned previously super blatantly, but it at least says something and was enjoyable.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
On Netflix U.S. The acting is bad and it shows the themes I mentioned previously super blatantly, but it at least says something and was enjoyable.
Yup. Fun little horror movie and at around 90 min. doesn't over stay it's welcome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
In the Tall Grass. It was really bad. To say why it was bad is a spoiler, but it was bad. 3/10. Barely could finish it.

Then you have It Comes At Night, which has me glued to the screen and is reaffirming my stance that most people think horror must have a monster trying to kill someone to be horror. That upsets me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Found this on DVD one day out of the blue, a weird one. Can't find any other trailer unfortunately, as this one fails to include the more apt ambient industrial synth soundtrack and uses a blasted jump scare, which goes against the film's whole style.
Outsourced entity for the trailer cut I can only assume.

Have heard it compared to a live action Salad Fingers, I suppose I can see that on a surface level at least. Made by same creator of Garth Marenghi's Dark Place too. Not a reviewist, so can't score, but is unique and memorable.
The score.

Last edited:

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
Rewatched Akira recently, and man the animation and visual direction is incredible. There's a real attention to space and setting here that most other films tend to gloss over or try to illustrate through exposition or more heavy-handed means. The soundtrack is amazing too, but it sucks that basically none of the characters are developed. But I hear that they're working on a series adaptation that spans the whole Manga; if they can recapture the animation quality that the film had, I'm sure it'll be great.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The soundtrack is amazing too, but it sucks that basically none of the characters are developed. But I hear that they're working on a series adaptation that spans the whole Manga; if they can recapture the animation quality that the film had, I'm sure it'll be great.
Despite the movie's flaws, I still love it. Though I highly doubt the animation quality would be as good as it was in 1988. Especially in today's anime industrty. The animation will most likely still be top notch, but not compared to the standards of the old-school. I saw Akira recently as a send off to 2019 on December 31st.

After seeing Ghost in the Shell (1995) & GitS 2: Innocence back to back. Even though the first film is iconic, I prefer the second being more structured and straight forward. The first movie is good, but you could lost real easily on the first and second viewing. FTR, I originally did not like anything related to GitS. I watched the first season of SAC back in the adult_swim days, but that was about it. I started watching the films again, thanks to Benett's reviews from Anime Abandon. I saw both films, fresh, with open eyes around late 2016. I was 27 at the time. Though, I never saw the 2nd film until 27, when the blu-ray had just came out. Luckily, the blu ray has the bandai enterainment dub, so you will never have to hear the awful Dream Works dub ever again.

Last edited:

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Well this might be kind of old but these are the last movies I saw before the stay at home order went into effect. I haven't watched anything else since as I've been focused on gaming.

Sonic the Hedgehog
I do have mixed feelings about this movie. On one hand its legitimately fun and Jim Carrey is a delight to watch. However its a bit predictable and I as a Sonic fan kind of wish they would use the lore from the games in it more like using the Chaos Emeralds over *ahem* "Quill Energy" for example.
I don't like how the reveal of Robotnik's look is at the very end of the movie when its iconic. I know its to show the origin of Robotnik but it feels cliche to have the actual game appear at the end of the movie.
I don't think its anything offensive, I'm just only slightly disappointed. Still I had more fun with it as an experience more than anything.
Eggman Juggling Chaos Emeralds/10

Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll
Rarely anime movies get theatrical releases so I was lucky enough that there was one showing of this particular one. I am a major fan of Kyoto Animation and their animation techniques that it inspired me a lot. Violet Evergarden is also on my top 10 anime list as well so naturally I was excited to watch it and I wasn't disappointed. Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll is a gaiden movie where Violet travels and meets a woman named Isabelle who feels trapped in her school. After a bad initial meeting Violet tries to make Isabelle into a proper woman while the latter tries to give Violet the cold shoulder. Over the time they bond and Isabelle reveals her past to Violet where she was forced into royalty and had to leave her sister behind in order to help her. However what I do like that there's sort of a B side to this movie. A few years later we focus on the younger sister, Taylor, who wants to become a mailman because of the letter her sister left her and her desire to find that sister. I really loved this movie a lot; KyoAni did a great job with their subtle animation conveying the character's emotions over speaking them and it looks really great. I actually teared up quite a bit with this movie I'll admit, partially because of what happens and what happened to KyoAni last year. Needless to say I am glad this is the last movie I saw out in public and it had a very small chance of being on the silver screen here.
A heartfelt letter/10

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
Despite the movie's flaws, I still love it. Though I highly doubt the animation quality would be as good as it was in 1988. Especially in today's anime industrty. The animation will most likely still be top notch, but not compared to the standards of the old-school. I saw Akira recently as a send off to 2019 on December 31st.

After seeing Ghost in the Shell (1995) & GitS 2: Innocence back to back. Even though the first film is iconic, I prefer the second being more structured and straight forward. The first movie is good, but you could lost real easily on the first and second viewing. FTR, I originally did not like anything related to GitS. I watched the first season of SAC back in the adult_swim days, but that was about it. I started watching the films again, thanks to Benett's reviews from Anime Abandon. I saw both films, fresh, with open eyes around late 2016. I was 27 at the time. Though, I never saw the 2nd film until 27, when the blu-ray had just came out. Luckily, the blu ray has the bandai enterainment dub, so you will never have to hear the awful Dream Works dub ever again.
I really like Ghost in the Shell, but I haven't seen SAC or Innocence. Weirdly enough I watched the first two Urusei Yatsura films not that long ago, mainly to try to get a fuller picture of Oshii as a director. The first was wacky and irritating, but the second (while still very silly) had some of the more evocative imagery and ideas that reminded me of Ghost in the Shell. But the guy looks to have a number of films worth seeing; I'm especially curious about Angel's Egg and the Patlabor films.

I don't really watch too much anime, but some of those more distinctive and personal directors are really interesting to me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really like Ghost in the Shell, but I haven't seen SAC or Innocence.
I highly reccomend you see Innocence. You get the blu-ray at $20.00 online. If you do watch SAC, just stick with the first season. The 2nd season is love it or hate it territory. I was never that enamored with SAC to begin with, but at least S1 was interesting. S2 bored the crap out of me, and I could not be arsed to watch the whole thing.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Streaming on Netflix is Chris Hemsworth in "Extraction". Directed by stunt man Sam Hargrave this movie focuses on action. The plot is paper thin and, for what kind of movie it is, doesn't need much of one. One viewer called it "Call of Duty: the movie". The action is not as good as, say, John Wick but it doesn't really have Wick's overt merciful bad guy scenes either so it's a lot more palatable in that area. Worth a watch for fans, B-

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Knives Out. It's decent, but you could see the ending coming a mile off. But I think it's probably hard to write stuff where that isn't the case now, because we're always waiting for the twist.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I highly reccomend you see Innocence. You get the blu-ray at $20.00 online. If you do watch SAC, just stick with the first season. The 2nd season is love it or hate it territory. I was never that enamored with SAC to begin with, but at least S1 was interesting. S2 bored the crap out of me, and I could not be arsed to watch the whole thing.
Was the first season the guy who hacked his mark into all security videos to get away with crimes? If so, that was the better season. I also didn't care much for the stand alone episodes in both seasons

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was the first season the guy who hacked his mark into all security videos to get away with crimes? If so, that was the better season. I also didn't care much for the stand alone episodes in both seasons
It's been too long; don't remember.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

As a result of Clone Wars coming to an end and finally bridging the gap between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, I decided to give the original film another go. I haven't seen since around the time it came out and was curious to see how I felt about it now.

So on one hand, I feel a bit more inclined to forgive some of it's flaws in hindsight and it mostly holds up. It does a pretty good job of showing the fall of the Republic, the rise of Vader and the annihilation of the Jedi. However, some of this is retroactively because of having watched clone wars, it feels like there's 7 seasons worth of setup for this movie that help justify Anakin's inclination to the Dark side and his tendency to trust Palpatine. So Clone Wars has at least partially redeemed RotS retroactively. I also really appreciate that opening battle where the two fleets are engaging each other in a large 3D space which few movies seem to bother with.

That being said, the movie is still flawed. The rescue mission of Palpatine at the beginning feels a bit clumsy and forced at times, like the writers/director are trying to recall the more iconic parts of the original trilogy and just not pulling it off. The whole "Nobody can tell Palpatine is a Sith Lord" weirdness gets especially jarring when General Grievous has Palpatine right in front of him, then not long after talks to Darth Sideous on a hologram and somehow fails to notice they're the EXACT SAME PERSON wearing a hood. Then again, canonically the Jedi somehow failed to notice the Sith lord they've been in the same room with multiple times because...reasons.

Anakin's fall, while better justified now, still comes across as a bit clumsy. Around Act 3, Anakin correctly pegs Palpatine as the Sith Lord they've been looking for all this time, tells the Jedi who then tell him to they're going to arrest him, but arrives just as Mace Windu is close to killing Palpatine after a fight and intervenes on the side of Palpatine to kill Windu. He's really conflicted about all of this for a bit, but as soon as he betrays windu, he immediately just goes all in on the dark side, to the point of accusing the Jedi of wanting to rule the galaxy and overthrow the republic, along with the child murder and purge of the temple. Like all nuance in his character just drops away at that moment. Maybe it was meant to show he was broken but it still comes across as really jarring.

That being sad, some of it's still cringy as hell and hasn't gotten any better. Off the top of my head.
-Padme dying in childbirth. "We can't find anything wrong with her, she's just lost the will to live". Oh, yes, the instant death from despair, a disease that exists only in fiction.
-The Separatist ship that gets damaged and immediately begins falling out of orbit, gets sheared in half and somehow survives reentry before making a mild crash landing on the surface near the beginning. The space nerd in me was just crying watching that.
-Half the stuff that happens during the final duel between Anakin and Obi-wan. Fighting a few feet above a lava river yet barely breaking a sweat(let alone dying of heat stroke). "I have the high ground!" and of course, Anakin getting his limbs cut off, getting caught on fire, being left there for what might have been hours and SOMEONE he's still alive because.....the plot requires he survive to become Darth Vader(yes, I know he was already dubbed Darth Vader, but he wasn't encased in the Vader suit yet).
-Near the end of the film, there's a scene where the separatist leaders are all gathered in a bunker on the ass end of nowhere lava planet of mustafar(?). Palpatine(via grievous) ordered them to flee there to avoid being captured by the republic and in the wake of Order 66, Palpatine calls them up again(wearing his Sith gear) and informs them "My new Apprentice, Darth Vader, will be coming to take care of you". What gets me here is that a reasonable person might hear a creepy hooded sith lord telling them there's a new Sith Lord who is coming to this bunker on the ass end of nowhere to "Take Care of them" and be seeing some serious red flags here. Instead, no one even questions this and seem absolutely shocked when the newly evil-embracing anakin shows up to flat out murder them all. It does lend credence to the idea that the only reason the clone wars lasted as long as they did was because Palpatine was controlling both sides, but seriously, how have their leaders survived this long being so trusting of creepy sith lords?

5 R2 droids/7 Chosen Ones

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I personally liked the 2nd season more then the first, partially because it felt like every episode contributed to the main story unlike season 1 where half the episodes were just stand alone so the Laughing Man story kinda pops in and out here and there.

Also, the whole Memetic virus thing in season 2 was pretty cool and something I wouldn't see again until I started getting into SCP.

You mean the guy who covered his face with a logo that became a cultural meme in-universe? Yeah, that was season 1. It's not just the security videos, people who saw him in person couldn't remember his real face either. They would only remember the Laughing man logo.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

I am honestly shocked that this movie is still a riot to watch. I saw this in the cinemas when it came out, against the wishes of my mum but whatever. Anyway, aside from the pair's propensity to call women sluts - which is more because they're both morons than any kind of hatred or bigotry - the comedy still largely works. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore provide a pretty good if acrimonious husband and wife criminal team (wow the irony) and Robert Stack as the ATF Agent is just......just wow.

If nothing else the movie proves that there's still great comedy in watching a pair of total dickheads get into trouble. Also, the opening credits, which imagines the duo as a 1970's era, Starsky and Hutch style pair of cops with an awesome theme sung by Issac Hayes - he of Shaft fame - can't help but make you want that movie.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

I am honestly shocked that this movie is still a riot to watch. I saw this in the cinemas when it came out, against the wishes of my mum but whatever. Anyway, aside from the pair's propensity to call women sluts - which is more because they're both morons than any kind of hatred or bigotry - the comedy still largely works. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore provide a pretty good if acrimonious husband and wife criminal team (wow the irony) and Robert Stack as the ATF Agent is just......just wow.

If nothing else the movie proves that there's still great comedy in watching a pair of total dickheads get into trouble. Also, the opening credits, which imagines the duo as a 1970's era, Starsky and Hutch style pair of cops with an awesome theme sung by Issac Hayes - he of Shaft fame - can't help but make you want that movie.

The first time I watched it I hated it and totally didn't get how Robert Ebert liked it. A couple years later I watched it again and I got it and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. I think the running joke of "There's a bunch of interesting stuff going on around them pretty much the entire movie and these guys are obvious to pretty much all of it" is kinda hilarious, more then I'd thought possible.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Room.
Pretty alright. Impressive child actor (Jacob Tremblay) and Brie Larson as good as always, surviving trapped by an abuser. Took ages to get around to seeing it though.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Prospect.

Very good looking film with nice cinematography and a really worn down aesthetic for the props and ships. There's not much in the way of plot or characters though. The characters spent most of their time in space helmets and so the dialogue is fairly muffled, making it' difficult to follow what's going on without putting subtitles on. And there's too much panting.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Crazies (1973)
The US government fails to deal with a dangerous virus, and people grab their guns and start fighting the authorities.