Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Same. I went into Clerks 2 expecting more Clerks 1 and got a buddy comedy. Nowhere near as intellectually engaging as its predecessor. The first film felt like a passion project scraped together to introduce us to interesting characters with depth and relatable issues; the second felt like it tried to capitalize on the success of the first without any of that spirit. I do not want Clerks 3 either, but since it's happening, I have to see it. It can't exist and me not consume it. I don't expect to like it, so I'm hoping my low standard is exceeded at least enough for me not to hate it.
No judgement, fuckin kill me but I'm sure I'll watch whatever shitty Alien movie ridley scott makes next like a brainwashed abuse victim.

tenor (91).gif

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Family watched The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard yesterday.

What a ridiculous movie. Really felt like every single actor involved showed up for the money and decided to just have fun with it. Which means the movie has funny moments, but also means everyone is phoning it in. The action is generic with some occasional noticeably bad special effects. So much swearing that it gets tiring.

I didn't feel like I wasted my time with this movie, but it is absolutely not a movie to watch by yourself. I doubt you'd make it through 30 minutes.

Ryan Reynolds is just acting the as the same person is every movie now huh. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but hopefully he gets to show off his acting chops one day because I'm getting a little tired of the Deadpool act.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The NeverEnding Story

I'd never seen this movie. Yes, the horse scene is sad - but I thought Rockbiter's last scene was even sadder. Poor guy is in shock from the (off screen) death of his friends and keeps blaming himself while looking at his hands and repeating how strong they look. Really the whole story is kinda sad. The world is dying and everyone kid hero meets is either apathetic or simply not very helpful. Reminded me a bit of Time Bandits. With the exception of Deus ex Falkor he's mostly on his own. And once we get the inevitable happy ending, the story ends so abruptly it's like we're not even allowed the catharsis of breathing relief.

With the exception of the flying scenes, the movie still looks great and has aged pretty well. None of it looks "realistic", but I submit it doesn't have to since it's all fantasy. Nothing quite like the Ivory Tower exists in real life, so it's allowed to look like a combination of matte paintings, double exposures and forced perspective. Falkor looks at times like a Chinese knockoff of the real Falkor, but I don't know there's an authority on what flying dog dragons should look like, so that's fine by me.

The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter

I have a dim memory of seeing one specific scene of this movie as a kid - it was Bastian's first wish, where he conjures a demonic looking Falkor, and I guess that traumatized me enough I recognized the scene as soon as I saw it again after 25-30 years (?). OtherwiseI knew it was going to suck as soon as the title credits replaced Giorgio Moroder's lovely techno-pop fusion with a nondescript orchestral arrangement. And the new Bastian doesn't feel like a real kid, but a movie kid that was clearly bossed around to do everything whimsically. We get a traditional Rita Repulsa looking villain this time around, with evil henchmen, and everything just feels more routine. I'm also not a fan of cutting back to Bastian's dad every 10 minutes so we can make sure he's still reading the damn book.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Went on a bit of a horror binge today. Manfully resisted the lure of the shockingly B-movie titled "Call Girl of Cthulhu".

1) Dead Sushi

Japanese low budget comedy horror that both wants to be a zombie movie, monster horror, and martial arts flick. Quite pervy in a Japanese sort of way in parts. Daughter of legendary karate artist and sushi chef flees her tyrannical dad to be a waitress at a resort and then has to battle sentient, bloodthirsty sushi. Because of course. Probably a decent laugh if you're drunk and with friends. Otherwise, give it a miss.

2) Escape Room

Perfectly servicable sort of Saw / Cube hybrid. Some people have to escape a series of lethal escape rooms. It's not great art, but it's slick enough and does the job competently. It's definitely not something you're going to write home about or stick in your memory.

3) Beyond the Gates

Meandering low budget horror that clearly is trying to vaguely homage some 80s alternate dimention horror classics (Phantasm, The Gate, etc.) but is mostly just dull. Guy comes back to his home town, gf in tow, to meet up with his slightly deadbeat brother following their father's death. I suppose it's a little more thoughtful about characters than most, but that doesn't save it. Yawn.

4) Blood Red Sky

The pick of the bunch. Terrorists attempt to hijack plane with vampire and her son on board. She is very maternally protective of her little sprog: things do not go well, and indeed get positively messy. It's too long by about half an hour and would have been better tightened up with some excess removed, but generally a pretty good watch.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I watched Run Hide Fight (2020) I had been wanting to see this since the trailers first came out, but then it kind of disappeared. I figured out why just now, it's apparently made by Ben Shapiro , which is kinda strange because I not only liked it, but did not realize that there was any political message behind it all. I actually thought it was quite good.

Critics seem sharply divided and divided against audiences. If you're not familiar it's superficially it's described as Die Hard, but in a school shooting. Essentially every critic either ranted about how tasteless it is to make a movie about a school shooting and stated it was a thinly veiled political ad for pro-guns or they liked it. It's 42% critics and 93% audience score.

I'm genuinely blown away because I'm hard-left, like I voted for Elizabeth Warren left, and I had no idea there was all this stuff behind it. I'm usually very weary and cynical about these kinds of things. Hell, I found "The Blind Side" pretty offensive with it's white savior horseshit.

As for Run Hide Fight, it's violent, but played maturely. The heroine, though benefiting from being an army brat, isn't played as any kind of superhero. She never actually uses a gun until the end of the movie. The story telling focuses around this kid whos become closed off and depressed after her mom dies of cancer, who happens to be in the bathroom when a school shooting starts. She initially sneaks away, but then has a change of heart and decides to get as many students out as she can who aren't already in the cafeteria. She eludes the shooters who are rounding up students and helps people escape. Theres a lot of scenes of her interacting with her recently deceased parent and grieving while at the same time trying to find the strength to get through the ordeal.

I don't know. If it weren't such a depressing film I'd rewatch it try and figure out where I was being brainwashed. Theres a scene where the main villain mockingly points out that the school guard isn't allowed to carry a gun, but at another point mentioned how shockingly easy it was for them to obtain guns as young adults. None of this is out of context. The movie doesn't pause to be like "MESSAGE" or anything. In fact the acting it this, even by angry critics was pointed out as being great. I looked up the studio who did this and it turns out theyre the producers of a couple indie horror thrillers of much acclaim "Bone Tomahawk" and "Brawl in Cell Block 99" neither of which have any political agenda and are great films if you can stomach the violence.

I think for myself, as long as something isn't a tried and true religious/political propaganda film I'm firmly against Hollywood attempting to censor it out of existence by ignoring it or weaponizing criticism just because they don't like who made it or the perceived content. It's no better than Germany and Austrialia refusing to release movies like "Evil Dead".

Edit: Apparently the whole political agenda that made critics angry is semi-horseshit. The Daily Wire only distributed it in the US after the original distributor went under due to a sex scandal. Is it gross that Ben Shapiro is involved? still yes, but it sounds like the supposed pro-gun stuff is likely untrue.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Same. I went into Clerks 2 expecting more Clerks 1 and got a buddy comedy. Nowhere near as intellectually engaging as its predecessor. The first film felt like a passion project scraped together to introduce us to interesting characters with depth and relatable issues; the second felt like it tried to capitalize on the success of the first without any of that spirit. I do not want Clerks 3 either, but since it's happening, I have to see it. It can't exist and me not consume it. I don't expect to like it, so I'm hoping my low standard is exceeded at least enough for me not to hate it.
I honestly can't stand the Clerks movies; especially the 2nd movie. I get the appeal, but most Kevin Smith movies don't do it for me. I was not expecting a third film since the second film already had a since of finality for the film and its universe. I hate unnecessary sequels. It's like when Rambo 4 was supposed to be last movie, until everyone decided fuck that up and make a fifth.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
On Amazon Prime, a 2016 film by Woody Allen that I knew nothing about. Stars Jacquin Phoenix and Emma Stone, "Irrational Man" about a burnt out philosophy professor finding a perverse reason to live...

Huge surprise. Nothing that happens in this movie was expected by me. Greatly enjoyable.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Black Widow - 8/10

The fam and I watched it on Disney Plus premiere at my grandfather’s place so he didn’t have to be away from my my grandmother. We had a few good laughs, action was pretty solid all around and man is Ray Winstone just the best guy for playing total pieces of shit. And the dynamic between ‘Romanoff’ family was equal parts hilarious, heartwarming and tragic.

Now the rating is based on how much I enjoyed it personally but giving it the most objective overview I can I’ll admit it’s not sitting up with Iron Man, any of the Cap or Guardians or Thor Ragnarok but is nestled comfortably with entries like Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. It does a perfectly serviceable job of introducing us to Alexi, Melina and Yelana - thankfully buoyed by strong performances all around - and gives us a few insights into Black Widow’s history. And while it didn’t bother me, I don’t blame any fan for being disappointed or upset about Taskmaster.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Stillwater: I have no idea / Great

Planned a date night with the girlfriend, and decided to go the movies. Showed up an hour early and split a bottle of wine while we waited. Bought popcorn, nachos, pretzels and another bottle of wine. Long story short, I have no recollection of the film. +$150 later, most expensive movie I've seen that I've never seen. I'm sure it was great; had Matt Damon is in it, so I'm told.

Might watch the trailer to see if it jogs any memories, but I'm a blank slate. I DO know I didn't get sex. At least not consenting sex. And my butthole hurts. Wine: don't do it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I swear, I can't think of a movie wherein Keanu Reeves isn't just "Keanu Reeves," but I love most of his films.
Yeah he doesn't have a lot of range as an actor. I do think that movie shows a lot more emotion from him, as he starts to mentally break down due to the data leakage in his brain. It's usually in tiny bursts of anger/frustration, like when he snaps at Jade a few times in the sewers, to his "I WANT ROOM SERVICE!!" scene, which I still think is genuinely fantastic. But he also has some fun banter and wit when he's flirting with her when he's taking her phone card to call Pharmacom.

I think, the way it just melts down, and he deflates is just amazing. Most people who talk about that scene, just see it as some entitled rich guy having a tantrum. But, I think there is more going on under that scene, and it's entirely due to Keanu actually putting in some emotion work. Yes, he is finally losing his shit and bitching about the complete unfairness and insanity that has been his life for the past 24 hours. Up to, and including having a fucking volkswagen bug explode and dropped onto him as a bomb. His brain is literally dying in his head, hurts like hell (something Spider points out), his sanity is slipping, his ability to control his body is failing as he has increasingly powerful seizures, and all he wants is to just get the data out of his skull.

He doesn't want to be down in the slums, fighting rats and newspapers. He wants the life that he had, was comfortable with, until less than a day ago, when one asshole fucked him over, and set him up to die. But the part that I think is kind of lost, is at the end, when he's starting to lose his mania, and is like "I want my shirts laundered...like they do...at the....*kind of pauses like he's having trouble remembering* Imperial Hotel...*slumps to the ground, mentally and physically exhausted, wondering if he's literally going to just die on a pile of trash next to a filth infested river in the ass end of Newark* "....in....Tokyo" I think he's trying desperately to just hold onto the fraying vestiges of his old life, and his mind, memory, any of it. But, second by second, it's all fading, and he also has to try and fight off combat squads at the same time. But...he just can't do it anymore. He can't keep his composure. He loses it. And I don't think this is just my headcanon about it. Because Jade's response to his rant, isn't to call him on his BS. She clearly shows signs of empathy, and compassion for him. She goes up to him, and sits next to him, realizing what's going on in his head, and how it's effecting him. And she tries to show him some comfort.

I honestly think, it's probably one of his most emotive performances ever. It felt genuine to me, in the context of the character and film. I fucking love Johnny Mnemonic.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Seven Pounds: Tears / Great

Will Smith plays an IRS employee who curiously pries into the lives of several individuals evaluating the quality of their character. In the end, you find out why. I imagine if God exists and truly has imbued us with free will, this is the kind of judgment we should be subjected to, and we'd deserve it.

I first watched this film in the theaters when it came out in 2008. I was with a woman I was dating (who turned out to be married, fuck me,) and her biggest pride was, upon meeting my family, telling them I cried in the theater. My current girlfriend had never seen it until today, and she cried too. I cried again both for the fact the movie is a tear-jerker and the fact that I saw it with a woman I loved who tore my heart out in grand fashion; won't be sharing that latter fact with her, but yeah, brought up a memory I'd frankly rather never remember again.

Good movie.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Me too. Haven't seen it in a while, so I'm due. Not to mention the soundtrack is pretty incredible.
Aaah yes.....God Lives Underwater. I think that was my first exposure to that band, with their song playing over the final scene of the film, into the credits.

Will Smith plays an IRS employee who curiously pries into the lives of several individuals evaluating the quality of their character. In the end, you find out why. I imagine if God exists and truly has imbued us with free will, this is the kind of judgment we should be subjected to, and we'd deserve it.

I first watched this film in the theaters when it came out in 2008. I was with a woman I was dating (who turned out to be married, fuck me,) and her biggest pride was, upon meeting my family, telling them I cried in the theater. My current girlfriend had never seen it until today, and she cried too. I cried again both for the fact the movie is a tear-jerker and the fact that I saw it with a woman I loved who tore my heart out in grand fashion; won't be sharing that latter fact with her, but yeah, brought up a memory I'd frankly rather never remember again.

Good movie.
For me, it's more music that does this. The "dredging up old memories from my youth." Films, not so much, though I did watch a ton of them when I was younger. But music at least, has WAY more emotional/memory connection for me.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Good movie.
Right up until he kills himself with a box jellyfish who’s venom would render his heart utterly unsuitable for transplant. Whoops.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Continuing my journey through the filmography of Studio Ghibli, in alphabetical order now that I've watched everything I've heard about.

Laputa The Castle in the Sky and Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro were both good I don't have too much to say about them. I liked Castle in the Sky more than Lupin which was a bit silly and paradoxically more mundane.

I skipped My Neighbors the Yamadas, because I don't know what it is. Is it actually any good? Because it's drawn like a child's doodle and I come to Ghibli for beautiful animation.

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. I was really blown away by this one. Instantly my favorite Ghibli Film. Just incredible on every front. A wonderfully imaginative world, both beautiful and hostile, full of interesting politics, biological horrors. The characters weren't too deep, but were endearing nonetheless. I was really impressed by the protagonist Nausicaä, a fantastic strong female protagonist and from 1984 even! The entire movie was a rollercoaster of reveals, suspense, and intrigue all leading to a satisfying climax. Just a fantastic movie all around.

Reactions: BrawlMan