Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I saw Deadpool and Wolverine last night. I will say off the bat not the biggest Deadpool fan. I don't like the comedy, I don't like the way he breaks the 4th wall, and I think he's easily the weakest link in his stories. But he's joining the MCU, and I love me some MCU, so lets go!

Except no. Despite the advertising campaign saying Deadpool destroys the Fox Xman universe and joins the MCU, none of that actually happens. So we were told this movie would leave the legacy of Logan, which isn't as good as the legacy remembers it, completely alone. Doesn't do that. Opening scene is Deadpool digging up Old Man Logan, because without Wolverine, the Fox Xmen universe is dying. And the entire movie is Deadpool trying to find a replacement Wolverine to keep the Fox universe alive. So the entire movie is trying to undo Logan. At one point Deadpool visits the MCU and Happy Hogan tells him to fuck off, he can't be an Avenger. And then at the end of the movie one of the tertiary characters from Loki, Hunter B-15, comes in and tells Deadpool and Wolverine to fuck off, they're not allowed in the MCU. And they do. Deadpool takes this new Jackman Wolverine back to the Fox Xmen universe, undoes the Logan movie, prevents the Fox universe from dying, and doesn't join the MCU 616 universe.
So basically the entire advertising campaign was a lie.
I'd rate this movie as probably in the top tier of the Fox Xmen movies, which in the scale of Marvel movies is low end MCU. Its about as good as like...Ant-Man and the Wasp, or the Marvels. Certainly can't hold a candle to like the Eternals, let alone Avengers movies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd rate this movie as probably in the top tier of the Fox Xmen movies, which in the scale of Marvel movies is low end MCU. Its about as good as like...Ant-Man and the Wasp, or the Marvels. Certainly can't hold a candle to like the Eternals, let alone Avengers movies.
Deadpool and Wolverine is better than most of those. I do find it better than Age of Ultron and the first Avengers, if we're talking about those movies. More so Ultron.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Deadpool and Wolverine is better than most of those. I do find it better than Age of Ultron and the first Avengers, if we're talking about those movies. More so Ultron.
See I don't think its even close to any Avengers movie. Its not even close to a mid-tier Marvel movie like Iron Man, or Captain America the First Avenger. Deadpool 3 is a top tier Fox Xmen movie, meaning you compare it to Xmen 2 or Days of Future Past. But MCU movies are a whole league above that. That's why its the MCU, and they bought the Xmen, not the other way around.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I don't think its even close to any Avengers movie.
Speaking for yourself of course. I couldn't give a damn because it's an S-Rank movie, so it's top dog class as far as I'm concerned.

. Its not even close to a mid-tier Marvel movie like Iron Man, or Captain America the First Avenger. Deadpool 3 is a top tier
Iron Man 1 is good and First Avenger is great. So what? I am not doing this tier stretching shit or "fails/not as good as these" comparison nonsense. Not all of these movies are aiming for the exact same thing or expectations.
Deadpool 3 is a top tier Fox Xmen movie, meaning you compare it to Xmen 2 or Days of Future Past. But MCU movies are a whole league above that.
Anything is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

. But MCU movies are a whole league above that.
Depends on which ones you're talking about. Because Deadpool 3 shits on nearly the entire Phase 2 and most of Phase 4. Phase 3 it's a bit more dead even, but it varies from film to film to me. Phase 1 is Phase 1, but I really don't care. I like what like about the same either way.

That's why its the MCU, and they bought the Xmen, not the other way around.
You've mistaken me for someone who gives a shit. My brother and parents are the exact same way and they care even less than me.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyway, great movie and gave me a bunch of unexpected surprises. A perfect trilogy for Deadpool. Way to go everyone involved in each film project.

Reactions: gorfias

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Knowing, 7/10

This is a Nic Cage thriller from 2009, where his character comes across a time capsule letter from 50 years ago that seems to have accurately predicted disastrous events over that period. He starts delving into it, and realizes there are predictions that have not yet come to pass, and seem to have catastrophic implications. So he starts trying to find out what it all means and if he can stop it.

I went into this warily. I remember this having a dreadful reputation as one of the infamously bad Nic Cage movies he made a lot of in the late 00s and early 10s. Honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all. I was constantly expecting it to drop the ball somewhere, or right at the end, and at least to me it didn't. I really enjoyed it for the vast majority of it, and it only got a bit silly at the end. But everything before that was a really gripping, engaging and exciting mystery thriller. It unfolds at a nice pace, there's lots of atmosphere and some surprisingly good cinematography to be found. The acting's overall nothing special and Cage is clearly phoning it in, but Rose Byrne gives a really good performance. The special effects are pretty bad, that has to be said, but the core of the story stays strong. And I actually found the ending satisfying, which is where we get to spoilers:

So it turns out that the letter was predicting the apocalypse, and the weird creepy people we see hanging around are basically angels saving the chosen ones so human life can start over on another planet. And it actually happens, the world ends in a horrible firestorm at the end! There's no last minute save or cop-out, or revealing that it was all in Nic Cage's head, the movie actually commits to its high concept ideas. And I really appreciate the movie having the guts to do that. It's not like it comes out of nowhere either, you can see where it's headed a fair way away from the climax.

Might be that I just have weird tastes or this movie came out at the wrong time, but I really enjoyed this.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Black Widow was the first MCU movie that made me think, wait... MCU films can be bad?

I mean clearly not all of them had been masterpieces, but this was the first one I actively hated. Watching it at home really gave me so much more headspace to criticize things and notice flaws I normally wouldn't.

Speaking of the MCU...

Deadpool and Wolverine. Was it a fun time? Yes. Were Deadpool 1 and 2 better movies? Yes. Does this movie do enough to justify fucking with the movie Logan? No.

Like I said, I had fun watching with friends, but the cinema was noticeably quieter this time around. The movie itself pokes fun at Wolverine not being allowed to die and getting shamelessly crammed into the MCU for the box office boost, but never actually rises above doing just exactly that.

There are some fun and unexpected cameos, but I gotta say, Marvel really has no fucking clue how to handle their variants. We're not getting cool or crazy alternate versions of established characters, we're constantly getting now-famous actors donning spandex to do shit we already saw decades ago. Even the What If? cartoon was surprisingly bad at this.

All in all, this movie did nothing to shift the needle about how I feel about the MCU.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Deadpool And Wolverine: Fucking brilliant / Great

Made no sense, and I enjoyed every fucking minute of it. I think it was the line where Reynolds talked about "pegging" in a Disney move that sealed it for me. I give it all the Oscars; must see, like, NOW. Stop reading this post and go watch it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Black Widow was the first MCU movie that made me think, wait... MCU films can be bad?
Atomic Blonde is the best Black Widow movie ever made.

My first bad MCU movie was Iron Man 2. Then Thor 2 and Age of Ultron. I am never watching any of those ever again.

Deadpool and Wolverine. Was it a fun time? Yes. Were Deadpool 1 and 2 better movies? Yes. Does this movie do enough to justify fucking with the movie Logan? No.
Deadpool 3 I love just about as much as the other two, but slides into my top spot.

All in all, this movie did nothing to shift the needle about how I feel about the MCU.
I wasn't expecting it to do that at all for me. I just wanted a great movie and I got what I wanted. The bonus being a nice cap off to the Fox Marvel movies. An end of an era.

Stop reading this post and go watch it.
I already did. I'll see it again later next week.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Deadpool And Wolverine: Fucking brilliant / Great

Made no sense, and I enjoyed every fucking minute of it. I think it was the line where Reynolds talked about "pegging" in a Disney move that sealed it for me. I give it all the Oscars; must see, like, NOW. Stop reading this post and go watch it.
That's about what I hear about it. Stop trying to think and let great art flow over you :) On my way to see it tonight.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Like I said, I had fun watching with friends, but the cinema was noticeably quieter this time around. The movie itself pokes fun at Wolverine not being allowed to die and getting shamelessly crammed into the MCU for the box office boost, but never actually rises above doing just exactly that.

There are some fun and unexpected cameos, but I gotta say, Marvel really has no fucking clue how to handle their variants. We're not getting cool or crazy alternate versions of established characters, we're constantly getting now-famous actors donning spandex to do shit we already saw decades ago. Even the What If? cartoon was surprisingly bad at this.

Deadpool & Wolverine, 6/10

The long-awaited return of both Deadpool and Wolverine (can you believe it's been 6 years since Deadpool 2?), the title is pretty much what you get. Deadpool and Wolverine both enter the MCU by getting roped into an appropriately nonsensical adventure featuring alternate universes and saving the world, with a generous slathering of the Deadpool movie style. If you've seen the previous entries then you know what to expect, there's no surprises on that front: tons (and I mean tons) of swearing, blood, violence, fourth wall breaking and incredibly juvenile and crass humor. If you enjoyed the previous movies, then you'll enjoy this, and vice versa. Deadpool seems to do best when he's paired up with a grumpy straight man to bounce off of (see Cable in Deadpool 2), and the double act Reynolds and Jackman are doing is very entertaining, they have great chemistry together. The line of the movie was the call back to the actual first good Marvel movie IIRC (to avoid spoilers).

As far as my enjoyment goes, this was pretty much in line with the previous two. It's light, fluffy, entertaining, with some new more enjoyable aspects and some less so. The meta stuff is even more in focus this time, which I really enjoyed, and can't really talk about without spoiling a ton of the surprises. Jackman's Wolverine is more like Logan than X-Men 2 in this (ie. jaded old man instead of a hotheaded tough guy), and he lends the role the appropriate gravitas to contrast with Deadpool's irreverent nature. There's a lot of action and it's really fun, you're definitely getting your money's worth on the "Wolverine vs Deadpool" front. The humor was quite hit or miss for me: there were tons of hilarious gags (especially in the beginning, and you'll know exactly what I mean when you go see it), but they were balanced out by an almost equal amount of mostly unfunny or downright cringeworthy, improv-feeling dialogue that seemed to mostly rely on sweary shock value. Speaking of, the swearing definitely went overboard and into gratuitousness. You can only hear Wolverine tell Wade to shut the fuck up before it starts to sound like it was written by a 12-year old trying to be edgy.

I don't think it's a huge spoiler that a movie about Deadpool entering the Marvel multiverse is a total cameo-fest, and those were some of the most fun parts. They dig pretty deep into the history of the whole modern superhero genre for some surprisingly satisfying parts for some long forgotten characters. There are some hilarious easter eggs and lines in there and it's done in a fun way that makes the film feel like a wholesome celebration of the superhero genre.

As much as I enjoyed this movie going even deeper into the meta stuff, I still feel like we haven't truly seen a movie that would fully encapsulate the anarchic, world-breaking nature of Deadpool's self-awareness. I started thinking that a Deadpool movie that would be a mockumentary about the making of a Deadpool movie would be a concept truly worthy of the character. I'm talking gags like deliberate continuity errors, Deadpool editing the movie in real time, rewriting the script as the movie's playing out, stepping out of the bounds of the frame etc. But that would require a more sophisticated approach than Reynolds' version, which seems to be content focusing on the "merc with a mouth" aspect of the character, rather than "comic book character who knows he's in a comic book" element. If anything, Deadpool & Wolverine, for all its entertainment value, is still indicative of the limitations of the modern superhero film: too big of a budget, the seeming need to have big effects blowouts etc. A more subversive, lower budget approach would IMO suit the character much better.
I'm kinda in line with you guys on Deadpool and Wolverine, I'd give like a 6-7/10, I had fun but don't think it quite worked too well as a movie overall. I didn't like how they just had Deadpool and Vanessa broken up at the start of the movie, it felt really lazy having Deadpool have to win her over again and it's basically a throwaway thing because it gets like no screen time and isn't even needed. I actually just rewatched Deadpool 2 again today after seeing this one and the emotional throughline in DW is so weak, not that it's super strong in Deadpool 2 or anything but it's there the whole movie. The whole multiverse plot feels weak and phoned in honestly, Logan's plotpoint of importance doesn't make much sense honestly (he's not that type of character IMO). They also played the whole multiverse/TVA stuff rather straight and serious for a Deadpool movie; you'd think Deadpool would just massively fuck around with them and make a mockery of them. The movie is riffing on the dumbness of multiverse shit but at the same time, the core plot is played rather straight and serious. The line of the movie was a call back to the first actual good Marvel movie I believe IIRC (to avoid character spoilers).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That’s not how you spell The Long Kiss Goodnight.
If you consider it the best Black Widow movie, then feel free to do so. LKG is not my pick, but still a great movie. It's either those two or Salt and Lucy that are considered good Black Widow movies. Though I disagree; especially with Lucy. Fuck that waste of 90 minutes. Salt is decent, but it's slightly above average Borune clone without too much shaky-cam.