Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Scum (1979) full movie on Youtube.

Ray Winston and Mick Ford in movie that may have been too brutal for British TV back in the day. De-humanizing institutions take young petty criminals and turn them into hardened ones while the over seers enforce a system of corruption. I think they made an update in 1991. Not a pleasant watch but very well done.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Horrible Bosses: Really Funny / Great

Three friends, each dealing with their own uniquely insufferable boss, decide the only way to better their work lives is to rid those bosses of their actual lives. And because plotting murders is a terrible idea, terrible things happen as their best laid plans unravel around them.

Mostly I’m surprised I hadn’t seen this until yesterday because it’s right up my comedy alley. Reminded me a lot of The Hangover which is one of my favorite comedies. I'll be watching the sequel tonight.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Descansar en paz (Rest in Peace)

My favorite Argentine movie this year. It has a claustrophobic, funereal atmosphere and is overwhelmingly glum but it's simply too riveting and unpredictable to be as depressing as is should feel. The movie has a gripping way of reinventing itself with every act. I'd describe it as not quite a thriller but dramatically suspenseful.

A man is overridden with debt - to the point his family is being threatened - and he decides to fake his own death (taking advantage of the 1994 AMIA bombing) so his wife will cash out the life insurance. He crosses over to Paraguay and begins living in hiding. A variety of twists of fate ensue, ranging from convenient to ridiculous to amply cruel.

I don't necessarily dislike the ending itself but the last part is maybe a little too heavy on symmetry and symbolism, to the point it stifles the story. It's based on a novel and I can imagine how the accumulation of dramatic ironies plays out better (more naturally, discretely) in literary form.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow.

Still holds up nicely and I enjoyed it as much as I did around two decades ago upon a first watch. Tim typically doesn’t go for an R rating, but here it adds just enough umph. It was filmed entirely in England but sets were built for both the forest and town itself. Funny thing being the former was so authentic that local birds and bugs took up residence during production.

For me the keyword on this one is “ample”. The set designs, the performances (Depp and Ricci rock the awkward sorta romance, Michael Gough came out of retirement for his role, and where else can Christopher Walken be such a presence with nary a word spoken), the violence, the score, the cleavage, etc. It was a fun rewatch that sits perfectly well given the time of year.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lonely Planet is the third MILF romcom (MILFcom?) to come out this year, after The Idea of You and A Family Affair. I don't think it's as sexy as the first one or as funny as the latter one, but of the three it's the cutest one. It's Laura Dern + Liam Hemsworth, playing to their sunny girlboss and sensitive himbo personas.

The movie takes place at a swanky writer's retreat in Morocco. Dern is a famous writer struggling with her latest novel, Hemsworth is a finance bro with zero literacy who's +1 to another up-and-coming writer. They slowly bond together over their shared ennui. It's the more pedestrian version of Lost in Translation, although you never believe the location here. Tokyo is confusing, overwhelming and claustrophobic? Yup. But the locals at Morocco don't take kindly to women who're 1) unaccompanied or 2) "expose" themselves. The idea that a feminist writer looking for peace and quiet would go to a Muslim den in order to finish her book unnocited and unmolested is like going to Mordor for the shrimp cocktails.

But anyway, it's a slow burn. We watch Dern and the lesser Hemsworth grow close for the majority of the movie before anything actually happens. There's not much going on between them beyond that particular chemistry of watching attractive people be attracted to each other. I guess the movie's more dramatic than outright comedic, but again, the plot is too thin to matter. When they must fight to close Act Two they barely have anything to work with. She snaps at him because she lost the corny novel she was writing, her MacBook apparently not once in two years having saved anything to the cloud, not even by accident.