• Total voters

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I saw Colossal recently and I honestly can't stop thinking about it. I thought it was rather interesting.

Its a movie about a woman named Gloria who just got dumped, has a bad drinking problem, and has no money to her name which forces her to move back to home town. Gloria then meets up with her old friend Oscar who's an owner of a bar and tries to help Gloria back on her feet. She tries to make a new start for herself by working at Oscar's bar.

But then a giant monster appears in South Korea and Gloria finds out she's the one controlling it.

This is a very experimental movie to say the least as it mixes genres. It has a very grounded start as it shows Gloria's struggles between her responsibilities, her ex, and have her try to relax with her friends but its clear that Gloria's life is in shambles and the kaiju is a wake up call. The kaiju in question isn't the focus due to it being miles away and more on Gloria's life as she tries to take hold of it. Its really clever and actually pretty funny at times.

I really loved watched Gloria trying to improve her life. She's a really funny person but she's also an extremely flawed person as her drinking problem caused a lot of the conflict in the movie. When she realizes she's controlling a giant monster she feels like she needs to take responsibility for herself because she accidently killed millions of people just by walking through Seoul and passing out drunk after showing her friends her new power. I really think Anne Hathaway did a good job with this role.

Oscar also made a really good antagonist. He comes off as a nice guy who wants to help Gloria and does his best to control her by trying to buy her favors. There's hints towards his controlling behavior as she tries to hit on one of his friends and immediately yells at him to get out. I do find it rather scary how realistic Oscar being portrayed as an abusive person and he really made a really chilling villain, especially when he lights a massive firework in his bar. Oscar's obsession towards Gloria's success drives the movie from a black comedy with a kaiju in it to a thriller as he constantly threatens Gloria with killing the people of Seoul as when he learns he has his own giant robot avatar. There's a LOT of tension in the 3rd act and I just love how despicable Oscar was that I wanted to see Gloria overcome.

I honestly don't know how to put how much I love this movie into words. It just really surprised me as a fan of giant monster movies. I might need to watch it again to give it a full review but its just so fun and clever; Like for example Gloria's kaiju was originally presented as an accidental disaster like Godzilla was but then later on she apologizes to the people of Seoul which makes her the defender of the city later on much like Godzilla ended up being. Its just so good! I really recommend this movie to anyone who likes giant monster movies or who want something different to watch.

10/10

Zeke davis

Apr 30, 2020
Country
United States
I watched man bites dog.

It was pretty much very dry mockumentary horcom.
I could understand why someone could stand that tone and there was some very horrying scenes as well as very comedic but the excution just wasn't my cup of tea.
5/10

Reactions: gorfias

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Birds of Prey (and the long subtitle)
I knew what I was getting into. Almost... Pretty much the whole movie is embarrassing shit with sprinkles on top. The action is laughable, though after years of exposure I can somewhat buy Harley's circus-brawler moves but the rest is just so bad it's bad. Like this granny is beating up people because...? Same with the birdy. The killer with her magic crossbow is a walking plot device they eventually play for laughs. The 11-year-old is untouchable as expected and beats the bad guys too. Luckily it's a race to the bottom with our villains being murdering, misogynistic homos. And the very end too is like straight from a Saturday morning cartoon. Minority inclusion and feminism in a superhero """action""" movie; it looks like people wanted to pat themselves on the back for this. Yet 200 mil at the box office isn't half bad so there must be a demographic out there. 2/10

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters.

You know, GW's new plastic sisters range has normal sister that have bodies and legs as one separate piece (or rather several but you can only stick them together one way, but Retributors have separate legs and torsos, which allows for conversions a lot easier.

Which is too say, I was only part watching this film while gluing things together, but don't think I missed anything. This film cost $90M to make, 15 times the budget of Escape from New York (though inflation and all).

Anyway, in this film, there's some don't care, and some don't care, and maybe some don't care. Of particular note, the Generic White Hero has a half brother who is a clumsy deadweight stock character who nobody respects (but who joins in the fight against the robot bull in his first scene, but I guess nobody cared?). Especially Generic Female Sidekick/Love interest, because he's a cyclops and she's prejudiced against them and is going to learn a life lesson about not judging people for being different. Or at least people with fictional differences, there's about one minority character, in the form of the painfully unfunny Black Comic Relief/Servant, who is in about a third of the film, cause he's a rubbish character. Which, ok, I've got nothing against not having bad ethnic comic relief sidekicks, but when you've got exactly no not terrible minority characters, lose the scene about preaching tolerance and just stick to kids fighting monsters.

If you like kids fighting monsters, this...well, has that. It's not very good, though.

This film is worse than the first, and I'm not sure who wanted another of these films excepting I guess me as I bought this one, but it was part of a buy two get one free deal. It's not awful, it's just mediocre, and rather lazy with seemingly little effort involved, excepting perhaps some of the CGI.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I watched man bites dog.

It was pretty much very dry mockumentary horcom.
I could understand why someone could stand that tone and there was some very horrying scenes as well as very comedic but the excution just wasn't my cup of tea.
5/10
I recall appreciating it.

Especially when the killer uses the film crew themselves to help him murder: at what point does covering a story make one part of the story?[/quote]

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Hillbilly Elegy: Hardships/The Good Life

Story about a young man, J.D. Vance, who escapes the Appalachian life between Kentucky and southern Ohio to become a promising Yale law student who, upon an interviewing for a hard sought after internship, is jarringly drawn back into the life he escaped where he’s forced to not only face the harsh realities of the present, but the demons of his past. It’s a really good film, but it's a hard watch, made even harder to swallow when you learn it’s based on the book written by the main character, a true story.

J.D. Vance is portrayed by actor Gabriel Basso. I know I recognize him from something, something relatively recent, but upon checking out his Wikipedia, nothing rings a bell. Does anyone have any idea what else he might have been in? It's driving me crazy!

1608221631041.png

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Hillbilly Elegy: Hardships/The Good Life

Story about a young man, J.D. Vance, who escapes the Appalachian life between Kentucky and southern Ohio to become a promising Yale law student who, upon an interviewing for a hard sought after internship, is jarringly drawn back into the life he escaped where he’s forced to not only face the harsh realities of the present, but the demons of his past. It’s a really good film, but it's a hard watch, made even harder to swallow when you learn it’s based on the book written by the main character, a true story.

J.D. Vance is portrayed by actor Gabriel Basso. I know I recognize him from something, something relatively recent, but upon checking out his Wikipedia, nothing rings a bell. Does anyone have any idea what else he might have been in? It's driving me crazy!

View attachment 2082
Check IMDB if you want a more thorough combing for their work...

I tried copy-pasting the list, but this site had a panic attack over the hyperlinks, the silly thing.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Check IMDB if you want a more thorough combing for their work...

I tried copy-pasting the list, but this site had a panic attack over the hyperlinks, the silly thing.
Thank you, sir! The film I was thinking of was The Whole Truth. Wikipedia does list it, but I only recognized it from the images on IMDB.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Birds of Prey (and the long subtitle)
I knew what I was getting into. Almost... Pretty much the whole movie is embarrassing shit with sprinkles on top. The action is laughable, though after years of exposure I can somewhat buy Harley's circus-brawler moves but the rest is just so bad it's bad. Like this granny is beating up people because...? Same with the birdy. The killer with her magic crossbow is a walking plot device they eventually play for laughs. The 11-year-old is untouchable as expected and beats the bad guys too. Luckily it's a race to the bottom with our villains being murdering, misogynistic homos. And the very end too is like straight from a Saturday morning cartoon. Minority inclusion and feminism in a superhero """action""" movie; it looks like people wanted to pat themselves on the back for this. Yet 200 mil at the box office isn't half bad so there must be a demographic out there. 2/10
Aside from Harley - if nothing else, Margo Robbie is very on point - everyone in that movie is an appalling representation of the characters they represent. Huntress, Black Canary and Cassandra Cain's Batgirl wouldn't piss on Harley Quinn if she was on fire. Let alone work with her. They wanted to make Gotham City Sirens but chickened out hardcore.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ice Age 4, which is best described as the 4th movie in the Ice Age franchise. If you like those films, this is one of them. 4 and 5 drag a bit, 2 and 3 were better.

Notable that this film includes a female Sabretooth cat pirate voiced by Jennifer Lopez, who is the love interest of the male Sabretooth cat, and this is apparent from about the 2nd second she is on screen. Jennifer Lopez, is, of course, also a famous singer, and there is a pirate song in the film, but oddly enough she barely contributes to it. Now, the movie also has Drake and Nicki Minaj, who don't sing at all, the singing is mostly done by Peter Dinklage. Um?

Aside from Harley - if nothing else, Margo Robbie is very on point - everyone in that movie is an appalling representation of the characters they represent. Huntress, Black Canary and Cassandra Cain's Batgirl wouldn't piss on Harley Quinn if she was on fire. Let alone work with her. They wanted to make Gotham City Sirens but chickened out hardcore.
Might exclude Black Canary from that, they generally portrayed her as an old-school rescue the villain type. Not so much the Huntress, and not at all Cassandra Cain, they'd kick/kill her when she was down, yeah.

OTOH, just about nothing in that film had anything to do with the comics. The chickening out was indeed hardcore.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The Lighthouse
Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson go eggers (also the director's name is Eggers) on a small lighthouse island in late 19th century. Dafoe watches the light and bosses Pattinson around his duties. They get drunk too. And a little crazy maybe. Picture is in black and white and almost a square.

A weird movie full of sea-themed superstition from the old lighthouse keeper's mouth and a naturalistic depiction of what may come when two men are stranded together and that superstition starts to become substantial. 7/10 because while it enjoys the critics' appreciation, I wasn't too gripped. There is the sense of "nonono, what are you doing, man!" but at least in this one viewing there was little logic in there at that point. I began to wonder the director's ideas and that took me out of the experience.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Might exclude Black Canary from that, they generally portrayed her as an old-school rescue the villain type. Not so much the Huntress, and not at all Cassandra Cain, they'd kick/kill her when she was down, yeah.

OTOH, just about nothing in that film had anything to do with the comics. The chickening out was indeed hardcore.
Gotta take your word for it, but even if you knew nothing about the "new" characters it's a dreadful film. Harley elevates the madness she wreaks around her with that comic book logic, but the other characters bring it down unimaginably hard and everything devolves into a sitcom.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Gotta take your word for it, but even if you knew nothing about the "new" characters it's a dreadful film. Harley elevates the madness she wreaks around her that comic book logic, but the other characters bring it down unimaginably hard and everything devolves into a sitcom.
I dunno about "dreadful", but I'd agree with "disappointing", or "lazy" or "insulting" or "Christ, there are aspiring movie makers who won't ever see half the budget this thing cost, and this was the amount of effort they thought was appropriate?".

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Gotta take your word for it, but even if you knew nothing about the "new" characters it's a dreadful film. Harley elevates the madness she wreaks around her that comic book logic, but the other characters bring it down unimaginably hard and everything devolves into a sitcom.
Hot Take: Harley was better in Suicide Squad.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A Cure for Wellness.

The horror element works well enough, and the acting is good (as far as I am a judge of such things) but the underlying plot is stupid as all else. I cannot say more without spoilers, but it's really stupid. IMO.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
2 movies with Mel Gibson in them...

Fatman

Decent movie, I felt it could've done more with the premise, which is Santa Claus is real and the US government funds his operation. A kid is mad that he got coal from Santa and hires a hitman to kill Santa. There's some interesting world building, "real-life" Santa is interesting, Mrs Claus is great.

Boss Level

Pretty fun movie where the main character keeps re-doing the day over and over again. It opens with quite the attention grabber of an action scene set to Boston's Four Play/Long Time. Most of the side characters that are trying to kill the main character are a bunch of fun. "I am Guan-Yin and Guan-Yin has done this." Mel Gibson plays the main baddy here. There's not much video game reference stuff that the title would allude to.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I was ranting about this earlier myself.

Hades gets hated on a lot, when he basically just does his job. And yeah, dying sucks and nobody wants to die, but Hades's job is to keep run the land of the dead and KEEP them there and do you really want all the dead hanging about the world of the living? Because we've all seen those movies and it's not pretty.
I think Hades being cast as the villain a lot is almost exclusively due to the fact that being the God of the Underworld makes him the closest thing to to what we understand as the devil.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I saw Colossal recently and I honestly can't stop thinking about it. I thought it was rather interesting.

Its a movie about a woman named Gloria who just got dumped, has a bad drinking problem, and has no money to her name which forces her to move back to home town. Gloria then meets up with her old friend Oscar who's an owner of a bar and tries to help Gloria back on her feet. She tries to make a new start for herself by working at Oscar's bar.

But then a giant monster appears in South Korea and Gloria finds out she's the one controlling it.

This is a very experimental movie to say the least as it mixes genres. It has a very grounded start as it shows Gloria's struggles between her responsibilities, her ex, and have her try to relax with her friends but its clear that Gloria's life is in shambles and the kaiju is a wake up call. The kaiju in question isn't the focus due to it being miles away and more on Gloria's life as she tries to take hold of it. Its really clever and actually pretty funny at times.

I really loved watched Gloria trying to improve her life. She's a really funny person but she's also an extremely flawed person as her drinking problem caused a lot of the conflict in the movie. When she realizes she's controlling a giant monster she feels like she needs to take responsibility for herself because she accidently killed millions of people just by walking through Seoul and passing out drunk after showing her friends her new power. I really think Anne Hathaway did a good job with this role.

Oscar also made a really good antagonist. He comes off as a nice guy who wants to help Gloria and does his best to control her by trying to buy her favors. There's hints towards his controlling behavior as she tries to hit on one of his friends and immediately yells at him to get out. I do find it rather scary how realistic Oscar being portrayed as an abusive person and he really made a really chilling villain, especially when he lights a massive firework in his bar. Oscar's obsession towards Gloria's success drives the movie from a black comedy with a kaiju in it to a thriller as he constantly threatens Gloria with killing the people of Seoul as when he learns he has his own giant robot avatar. There's a LOT of tension in the 3rd act and I just love how despicable Oscar was that I wanted to see Gloria overcome.

I honestly don't know how to put how much I love this movie into words. It just really surprised me as a fan of giant monster movies. I might need to watch it again to give it a full review but its just so fun and clever; Like for example Gloria's kaiju was originally presented as an accidental disaster like Godzilla was but then later on she apologizes to the people of Seoul which makes her the defender of the city later on much like Godzilla ended up being. Its just so good! I really recommend this movie to anyone who likes giant monster movies or who want something different to watch.

10/10
Yeah Colossal was a very interesting addiction metaphor, literally personifying the problems you have, and how they impact others without you even being aware of it. It got really dark really fast. The trailers were very deceptive about it, which I liked. You think you're getting a fun, campy movie about wacky hijinx and kaiju, but you get a film about domestic abuse, substance abuse, obsession, trauma. Very interesting film overall.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord