Discworld Author Sir Terry Pratchett Has Died At 66

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I'm really sad to hear this. I only started reading Discworld last year, and was reading Soul Music when I found this out. There has been literally no one who could do characters, story or invention like him. Every part of his works are genius. Really sorry to see him go.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I can't imagine I'll never read anything new of his again.
Chin up sir he has one book as yet unreleased, The Shepard's Crown has been finished but is as yet unreleased. It will surely be a very difficult read knowing that when I reach the end that will be it, over 40 books, literally a whole world full of characters of very different sorts coming to an end.

Today truly is a sad day, the day I finish that book will be equally as sad.

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett the world has lost a truly great man.

How about we mention which of his books is our favourite.

For me it has to be Sourcery, all the books that feature the Wizards represent them as old, bumbling and strangely, for Wizards, as being afraid of doing any actual magic, but this book showed them for what they could be and it was kinda of frightening.

From the more recent saga it has to be any of Moist Von Lipwigs books; Going Postal, Making Money and of course Raising Steam.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Colour of Magic was THE book that got me to love reading as much as gaming. I must have been about 8-9 years old and being asked to pick a book to read over half term by my teacher, so I just decided to pick a book at random with no intention of actually reading it. And there it was, it probably shouldn't have been in a year 4 classroom but from what I remember about my teacher then it made perfect sense to be there, but it was face up and showing off the Kidby art in all its glory and I just couldn't resist. Once I got home I barely put it down until I had finished and when I was finally done my Mum handed me The Light Fantastic, I had no idea my parents owned most of the Discworld books already but then until Colour of Magic I really had never shown any interest.

Anyway, Sir Terry had the most profound impact on my life and I can't describe how much he will be missed. Ook.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
Mr. Pratchett was one of the fantasy authors who seemed to 'get it', at least to me. Not only were his books a great read, but a lot of his logic for how the Powers That Be interacted with each other and the world informed a lot of my tabletop GMing. Reaper Man is one of my favorite books of all time, hands down. I think that the world will be a poorer place once Sir Terry's echoes can no longer be heard.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
NeutralStasis said:
His books gave my life joy when I was despondent. His work lives on.
?No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away..." not sure of the exact location but I believe it was from lords and ladies when granny was contemplating her own

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Digi7 said:
In the past month or so I had been moved to pick up Pratchett's Discworld work and begin reading it. I am absolutely adoring it so far. Very few people can create a world so beautiful, vibrant, colourful and so cerebrally creative.

I'm sad I've only just begun to enjoy his work, and now he's gone. I was just delightedly discussing with my dad last week about how I'm reading Pratchett now, who is one of his favourite authors. I'm going to redouble my efforts to buy and read as much Discworld as I can.

Here's my salute Pratchett. Rest in peace.
Don't stop at the disc you should also check out his other works. Highest reccomendations go to Good Omens, dark side of the sun, strata, the carpet people and of course the Bromeliad trilogy.

I first encountered Pratchett(though I wouldn't know this for years after I started actually reading his books) through the television adaptation of truckers(was going to link to the youtube copy of it but they may of taken it down as I can't find it though if you can it's excellent viewing I'm certainly not going to tell you to dive around in any specific notorious BAYS but if you must you must) I loved the show and then several years later I encountered the soul music TV series, I admit to naivety here as I thought that the entire show was some huge advertisement for some manner of music shop called "discworld" as it had excellent music infact Sionni Bod Da ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfusJWrE0hg ) is one of my favourite musical pieces to this day. a couple of years after that my mother got me,purely to shut me up on a trip, The Hogfather and I was hooked. I was around 11 maybe 12 at this time and had tried to kill myself once already but after discovering the discworld novels I was determined no matter how angry or miserable I got not to check out until I had read every last one of them. It saddens me that now I have for even when I caught up with his work he was such a prolific scribe that I knew another was probably just around the corner.

I was going to part with the aformentioned Sionni Bod Da(which I now find I can't listen to wthout crying) I feel this song may be more appropriate

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Phil the Nervous said:
No more Terry Pratchett...

No more Sam Vimes
No more Nanny Ogg
No more Susan
No more Ponder
No more Carrot
No more Nobby

Rincewind's getting away though because Death will never catch him
Were the rumours true that his daughter, Rihanna, might pick up Discworld in his passing?

OT: Shit.

That's all I thought when I first heard it today. I was driving in a car with a friend when the radio mentioned it. Just 5 seconds and one line, "Terry Pratchett has died after his bout with Alzheimer's at 66" I seriously didn't believe I heard it at first.

Ah well, he had a long illustrious careers. Here's to one hell of a writer. At least he got to wrap up his story before he had to go.

RJ Dalton said:
Weirdly, I was kind of expecting this after "Raising Steam." Everything about the way that book was written - including the way almost every major character had an appearance in it and did something, and how it wrapped up several hanging/running plot threads - made it feel like he was writing it as a swan song.
But while I can't say I'm surprised, I'm certainly sad about it. :C
Yea, I made a bet that Raising Steam would be his last book after hearing about how all the ends wrapped up in it. A bet I wasn't happy to win. And while I really didn't like the book, I still appreciate it for what it's done.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yes, it's a sad time...

I wish it hadn't happened, but then again, watching him suffer through alzheimers seemed quite painful too.
It happens to everyone eventually, but it always seems to come as a surprise.
Especially when it's someone whose works you love as much as Terry Pratchett's...

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I never was able to locate any of this books in any nearby stores or a local library when I found out about them and it saddens me I never read them after hearing all the great things about them. And I joked one day with my luck, he'd pass before I'd get a chance to read anything of his.

I need to redouble my efforts in locating his work.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
otakon17 said:
I never was able to locate any of this books in any nearby stores or a local library when I found out about them and it saddens me I never read them after hearing all the great things about them. And I joked one day with my luck, he'd pass before I'd get a chance to read anything of his.

If you have a smartphone download the kindle app you can get pretty much all the books on that

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Ocelano said:
otakon17 said:

If you have a smartphone download the kindle app you can get pretty much all the books on that
It's not the same, I need to smell the paper and feel it between my fingers.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
otakon17 said:
Ocelano said:
otakon17 said:

It's not the same, I need to smell the paper and feel it between my fingers.
Fair enough good luck in your quest forget not that amazon delivers should all else fail you

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
otakon17 said:

Sorry, I allowed myself to look at your profile to check which coutry you are from. Since you are from US, I am more than sure that there are great many online shops where you can buy paper books. Try hitting Google.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Yea, I made a bet that Raising Steam would be his last book after hearing about how all the ends wrapped up in it. A bet I wasn't happy to win. And while I really didn't like the book, I still appreciate it for what it's done.
Raising Steam may not be his last book though, the yet unreleased 'The Shepard's Crown' is still due to be published in September.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
dragongit said:
guess it goes to show you, even at 66 an aging fantasy author with less then optimal health conditions could die on us at any moment...*glares at George RR Martin*
70 books over 66 years, that works out to be 3 or 4 books a year. I wonder what Martins excuse for taking decades for a single book is.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
A sad day...

Pratchetts Discworld books are one of the biggest contributing factors to my love of reading.

Looks like it is time to reread some of them now.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
if one were to attempt to quantify the gravity of this loss, there exists no combination of words in any language that could ever be anything but woefully inadequate, at least he left with his cognitive abilities intact (I think), and his struggle with Alzheimer's is over now

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
M0rp43vs said:
Phil the Nervous said:
No more Terry Pratchett...

No more Sam Vimes
No more Nanny Ogg
No more Susan
No more Ponder
No more Carrot
No more Nobby

Rincewind's getting away though because Death will never catch him
Were the rumours true that his daughter, Rihanna, might pick up Discworld in his passing?

OT: Shit.

That's all I thought when I first heard it today. I was driving in a car with a friend when the radio mentioned it. Just 5 seconds and one line, "Terry Pratchett has died after his bout with Alzheimer's at 66" I seriously didn't believe I heard it at first.

Ah well, he had a long illustrious careers. Here's to one hell of a writer. At least he got to wrap up his story before he had to go.
I think with regards to Rhianna Pratchett it is a "yes and no" answer. From what I remember reading she had no plans to continue his novels, as that is his work and domain. But she is involved in creating a TV Series about the Anck Morpork City Watch. Given that she is a video game writer /developer as well as now the caretaker of the Diskworld, it would not surprise me to see her put together some new Diskworld based game.