Disney Closes LucasArts

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Jacco said:
Not necessarily. If they release licensing rights, you can bet your ass EA and Dice will snatch that shit up in a heartbeat and make it a Star Wars themed Battlefield game. Tell me that wouldn't be awesome (given that's basically what it was when Battlefront came out).
Exactly, and they are actually selling IPs. Anything they refuse to sell would likely be something they'd create themselves.

xdiesp said:
I am sick of reading Disney shills supporting this decision. Freaking authoritarian mindset, might makes right uh? What a dark, sad day in gaming history. RIP Lucasarts, you will never be forgotten.
How about fans of Lucas Art's IPs that have become increasingly disappointed with Lucas Art's handling of them? I could care less if this was Disney or Lucas Arts going bankrupt like THQ. All that matters is that these IPs are going to be divided amongst companies who value them enough to pay for them.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Lightknight said:
VoidWanderer said:
Never has the gif of Kirk screaming Khan's name felt so appropriate...
Maybe if the IPs were getting scrapped instead of sold off. We (as consumers) potentially lose nothing here. People who actually have something to contribute to these IPs will buy them off Disney (who IS selling them) and will try to do something new with them or just keep the crappy lucas arts status quo. You are only seeing the death of a bloated company that really bad at what they did at this stage of the game.

So, in fact, this could be the best thing that has happened to our beloved titles. Unless you genuinely believe that Lucas Arts has been a legitimate steward of the titles and that they weren't phoning it it at all over the last decade. In which case you're wrong. Almost empiracally wrong but admittedly subjectively so. I mean, really, this last decade has been everything with the Lucas name on it taking a giant dump on everything it once was. Like if Picasso had spent the last ten years of his life finding old masterpieces he'd made and did hand-paint art over them.

So Kirk or anyone screaming over this needs to take a step back and understand the difference between the death of an IP and the death of a studio.

Here, take a look at Metro: Last Light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro:_Last_Light

as well as its development company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4A_Games

Note that the original publisher (THQ) had to go bankrupt and subsequently ended up selling the publishing rights (IP rights) of the game.

Koch Media bought it for $5.8 million and the exact same development team is still developing it with new resources available to them that weren't available when they were in THQ.

Frankly, we should be incredibly grateful to Disney stepping in and saving the Star Wars franchise and all of these things from the increasingly more inept hands of Lucas. But that gratefullness can be withheld until we see the first movie and what they do with it.
You are correct, it wasn't until I watched TotalHalibut's Content Patch, that I realized the impact of it changing from a development company to a licensing company that things truly kicked into place. So I am looking forward to Star Wars 1313 if it gets developed... as long as you are not Boba Fett.

There, I said it. I am tired of Boba Fett!

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Well, hopefully they can pull a THQ and just sell the rights and the IP's to some different devs. This might be a good thing though. We might actually see Battlefront 3! :D

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Th37thTrump3t said:
Well, hopefully they can pull a THQ and just sell the rights and the IP's to some different devs. This might be a good thing though. We might actually see Battlefront 3! :D
Disney is already selling the IPs because they don't want that part of the industry in that way or just don't want to handle those IPs themselves.

The difference is, Disney is doing it because they're smart and know what they want. THQ did it via court order in response to their bankruptcy.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
So... they close a studio which hasn't made anything good since Jedi Knight Outcast and X-Wing Alliance and replace it with licensing to good studios which have made great games lately? Wow, that's bad news indeed (sarcasm). Look out how bad KOTOR was ("Falcon Punch" sarcasm). It's sad to see a piece of gaming history go, but Disney made a smart move and we will be thanking them shortly.

The FPS market is overcrowded but I for one can't wait for a Tie Fighter remake. Let's pray for no more Fing Ewoks.