Disney says they're not going to do any more 2d animation.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Good, hand-drawn animation is terribly time consuming and expensive when compared to modern CGI methods. The more Disney works with 3d Animation the more they can re-use assets and calculations for future works. This allows more focus to be put on story, character development, voice acting and also reduces the cost overall.

Just sit back and look at how PRETTY Wreck It Ralph was, don't look at what the characters were doing (although the animation was just brilliant) but the background scenery and what was taking place there. They've likely got the Brave Hair formula in storage or will use it from here on out to animate ALL hair.

This is progress, people. Sure hand-drawn has some cute charm, Princess and the Frog had some hilarious animations, but so did Tangled, Brave and Wreck It Ralph.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
maskedferret said:
I see what you mean now. If this blog from Oct. 2012 [http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/hand-drawn-at-disney.html] is to be believed, then Pixar's bigwig director John Lasseter is at least partly responsible for the decline of 2D Disney animation.

"While wandering the halls of the hat building yesterday, I chanced on one of the traditional animators working there. He said:

We're developing a bunch of different projects to show John Lasseter...it's made clear to us that the stories aren't necessarily for a hand-drawn project. When we've brought it up with John Lasseter, he's shied away from commiting to a hand-drawn feature ..."
I believe it all started with Disney's Bolt (2008). Rumor had it, the original director Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch) was originally going to call it 'American Dog' [http://comicsworthreading.com/2008/12/02/what-bolt-could-have-been/], and make it in traditional 2D animation. So Lasseter fires Sanders, gets two new directors to start from scratch in 3D, and renames the movie to Bolt. Now, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this all makes sense now. If true then it's sadly ironic how Lasseter, a former 2D Disney animator, would play a part in the demise of Disney 2D animation, something a lot of fans hold dear.

But like Abomination says (and I have to admit I begrudgingly agree):
Abomination said:
...This is progress, people....
[sub]Apologies for the "investigation". Who am I, Nancy Drew?[/sub]

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Yeah, hand drawn animation doesn't make money anymore....... Tell that to the country of Japan, they have a whole industry dedicated to the art....

And just because Pixar was able to come up with better characters and story lines than Brother Bear and Tarzan doesn't mean that the medium is done for........ I really don't see Disney's logic.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
To be fair, Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh did pretty bad in theaters (although the later was going up against BATMAN, so it was doomed to fail), while the CGI non-Pixar stuff has been doing fairly well in comparison (although, still isn't raking in the bucks like Pixar).

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Wait, this is new?

They haven't done any new animation in decades...they've just been recycling old stuff.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
while 3d can look good it always felt very cold and sterile in comparison

this doesnt really seem like a thing to me because this was pretty much the case since 2000
zehydra said:
This isn't like there will never ever be any more 2d animated movies, it just means that Disney is giving up on it.

Someone else will take up the job, I'm sure.
no one really did

after the 2000's CGI became the standard and there were no BIG mainstream 2D films
aba1 said:
This is old news very very old news. Animation has been moving towards 3d animation more and more as time progresses which I always hated because 2d looks sooooooooooo much better and just offers many more stylistic options. I could go on for hours about this I am kinda biased 2d animation is my passion in life.
it depends...3d (when done well) has the advantage in it looks less....limited in the range of things you can do, but then that depends on budget

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Abomination said:
but in the end 2d and 3d animation have a very different look....3d can often look great but somtimes it seems (as I said) sterile

if computers can assist and create amazing feats in animation not possible years ago then SURELEY such technology can help with 2D animation...I feel like part of it is actually a public perception problem

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I think it may be less that 2D is out of style but more that their 3D branch AKA Pixar is better at story writing then the traditional Disney style.

Please pick
Which one is math?
BUNNY RABBIT!!!!

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I am fine with this. Overall the 3d and cgi stuff has been better overall. What people seem to forget is that in the 2d movies, for every Lion King, there was a Home on the Range.

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
1. They've said this before.
2. "No current plans" doesn't equal "We're stopping it altogether." See #1.
3. As long as Lasseter is there, there will probably a 2d film every once in a blue moon.
4. Paperman was actually a mix of 2d and 3d.

2D animation isn't going anywhere.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
bartholen said:
I think I remember a time when Disney said Brother Bear was going to be their last 2d animated film. And then they made Princess and the Frog years later. I guess it fluctuates.
Hang on a second... are they vaulting entire animation styles without us realising it? D:

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
maskedferret said:
They're going to stick exclusively to 3d animation and CGI stuff. Link here [http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/mar/07/disney-hand-drawn-animation]

They say it's because the hand drawn stuff doesn't make enough money but considering how well paperman did which seemed like hand drawn 2d I think that's a pretty weak argument.

Captcha: numa numa Am I the only one who misses recaptcha? Y'know the one that helped make books available for everyone?
the reason it doesnt do well is because Princess and the frog was stupid, and winnie the pooh was released ON THE SAME WEEKEND AS HARRY POTTER 7 PART 2.

disney is fucking stupid.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Happiness Assassin said:
I am fine with this. Overall the 3d and cgi stuff has been better overall. What people seem to forget is that in the 2d movies, for every Lion King, there was a Home on the Range.
2D is a technique not a template for stoys/charachters...whatever problems those movies had it wasnt because they were handrawn

maskedferret said:
They say it's because the hand drawn stuff doesn't make enough money but considering how well paperman did which seemed like hand drawn 2d I think that's a pretty weak argument.
?
paperman was a hybrid....somthing I'd like to see more of

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Vault101 said:
Abomination said:
but in the end 2d and 3d animation have a very different look....3d can often look great but somtimes it seems (as I said) sterile

if computers can assist and create amazing feats in animation not possible years ago then SURELEY such technology can help with 2D animation...I feel like part of it is actually a public perception problem
The title isn't exactly accurate, they have mentioned moving away from HAND-DRAWN 2D animation, that doesn't mean 2D animation is off the table, just that it won't be drawn by hand.

But when it comes to wanting to use assets in a logical manner then 3D is the way to go. Why redraw something 8 times to get 8 different angles when you can design it once as a textured mesh and view it from an infinite number of angles never needing to redraw it again?

Re-using assets has been something Disney has done on multiple occasions, just look at The Jungle Book, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Robin Hood. They all used the same assets as each other just recolored.

There's no 'lost nobility' to hand-drawn animation. 3D animation is just replacing the pencil with the stylus.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
maskedferret said:
They're going to stick exclusively to 3d animation and CGI stuff. Link here [http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/mar/07/disney-hand-drawn-animation]

Captcha: numa numa Am I the only one who misses recaptcha? Y'know the one that helped make books available for everyone?
Paperman was 3d, it was made to look 2D through shaders.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Jegsimmons said:
maskedferret said:

the reason it doesnt do well is because Princess and the frog was stupid, and winnie the pooh was released ON THE SAME WEEKEND AS HARRY POTTER 7 PART 2.

disney is fucking stupid.
Winnie the Poo is sort of aimed at a younger audience than Harry Potter to be honest. Even so, stupid decision.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
They said they were going to stop 2D animation after Brother Bear came out (so you could see why), but then they did Princess & The Frog (which showed Disney still had the magic). It's a shame they didn't continue further with that but that might have been down to the success of Tangled.

Paper Man was a mixture of CGI & 2D animation. Worked brilliantly. I hope they make a feature using this method. That's what they started doing in Beauty & the Beast.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
maskedferret said:

Paperman is a new technology allowing traditional 2d animation to be done in 3d. Basically it integrates traditional animators into the 3d world. Meaning traditional hand drawn is not completely dead, it is just being reinvented.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
2D is a dying form, games, movies why bother when you can just make 1 model and animate that instead of redrawing it over and over.
That said, I hate it. IT's a load of crap, their 2D stuff used to be good then I don't know what happened. But 2D cartoons are far more interesting than most 3D stuff.