Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Well the game clearly looks like awful chuunibyou bait

But at least Dante's hot.

Really hot.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore
If you're ignorant enough to think that the only reason people dislike the changes are his hair, this game was made for you.

No one who disliked this game before release cared about the relative quality of the game. By the way, I've seen just as many reviews saying it's awful based on gameplay and not the change in characterization as I've seen "dudebro I don't care what he looks like bro, its fun bro."

I'm sure you've kept your head firmly buried in the sand this entire time, but I'll explain. People are upset because they rebooted a character that needed no rebooting. They are upset that they turned him in to a generic, westernized, action guy. They are upset that they removed the character history, the lore of the world, and the other characters in the universe because the franchise fell in to the hands of a developer who openly hated the series he's been trying to rip off since the launch of the PS3. They are upset that the developer has been deliberately antagonistic toward the very fans who made the series a success.

Know what we can compare this to? The Transformers movies. The series was given to a man who thinks the property he's working with is stupid, so he made a dumb action flick with lots of crude, teen humor to appeal to the people who just want to turn off their brains and have a good time.

Lastly, I see a TON of "Well I'm gonna pick it up eventually" and almost zero "I bought it day one and it's great." Honestly, I have yet to see a single consumer review that even says something as basic as "I've played it for a few hours and it's pretty good." Nearly all the positive comments I see toward the game are like yours telling the dissenters to shut up cause the review they watched said it was good.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
s69-5 said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Dante's devil trigger is a glorified doppelganger, the angel/devil weapons act just like Nero did in DMC4, and most people disliked the emphasis on grapples.

Story-wise, the ending has no context.
Vergil never hinted that he wants to be King of the world, nor was Dante hinted at to be having problems with his inner demon, suddenly being overpowered by said demon came out of no where.

We are given no closure on what will happen to humanity, or in hell now that Mundus has been deposed, or even any information on Sparda and where the hell he is. It all just ends.

The lack of exposition like:
The fact that has all the world's government's wrapped around his finger;
that all of humanity has been brainwashed to hate Dante, Vergil, and Kat and the loss of Mundus causing a power vacuum in Hell, being brought up early in the game but never being mentioned again until Vergil's sudden Heel Face Turn, are never considered.

The plan to close the hell gate, bringing all the demons from Limbo into the real world.
Nice Job Breaking It Hero.
Spoilers should seriously be added to this I've included them on this reply if you don't know how.
I mean, giving out the ending, without spoiler tags, at this stage, is absolutely selfish.

I haven't yet played the game myself (thanks for spoiling the end BTW) but having played the demo, even I didn't need exposition to tell me that the world's gvt is
brainwashed to hate Dante. I mean c'mon - there are eyeball cameras that are looking for him specifically and his name appears in giant letters on buidings when caught... You don't ALWAYS need to have the storyteller holding your hand. A picture is worth 1000 words.

natster43 said:
So apparently it is cool to post spoilers for games that just came out in the forums now. That's cool.
Agreed. Some people's kids...
I wouldn't call anything he said a spoiler considering all of it is in the trailers. Any twists or reveals this game throws at you have been freely publicized by Capcom and Ninja Theory.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Let's see. The story is terrible and feels like it's written by a single 12 year old. Don't get me wrong. DMC writing was always bad. But this is just embarrassing. They ruined Vergil, they ruined Dante, they butchered the back story of their parents, they removed combat styles from DMC 3 and DMC 4 and on top of that the game even looks uglier than DMC 4. Seriously, how does that happen? How can a 2013 game look worse than a game from 2008?
Easy. Give the franchise to a terrible gaming studio with a record of producing shitty titles. Honestly, I can't understand why they didn't just give it to Platinum Games. Anarchy Reigns and Bayonetta were incredibly fun to play.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Archemetis said:
Also, I'm sorry, but am I reading comments in regards to the writing being worse than the original games?

You people realise you're talking about Capcom's writing, right?
Actually, no. We're talking about Ninja Theory's writing. Ninja Theory developed this game, Capcom only published it.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I actually think the rest of the writing team stopped Taneem, and that's why it's so different to his "videogames can tell serious stories" shite. They took one look at the script and said "Dude, we can't run this as it is, give the script to us and we can turn it into a more comical approach."

That's what I think anyway.

Sylveria said:
Well said.

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
From my experience with it it was a pretty awful game.
The combat was slow and boring without much variation with just about every fight being one by spamming and grappling everything. The game seemed ridiculously easy on Nephilim difficulty with nothing really raising a challenge. The writing for the game was god awful and it seemed to be trying so hard to make Dante seem like a gruff badass whilst often failing to reach this.

The aesthetics of the game at some parts looked really nice and I enjoyed the shifting environments at some points as they added a nice effect.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well this thread is clearly full of people who don't understand spoiler tags so here, quote me to see how you do it:

Really. I've had shit spoiled. The game got delivered to me today and I'm only 3 hours in. Not amused. Use tags.

OT: The games decent. Fairly easy though, I went straight on hard and I think I've died once, and that's because of my own stupidity.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Rocklobster99 said:
Archemetis said:
Name some that don't relate to your personal preference.
The story being a ripoff of They Live

The writing being so terrible that they made the main villain more sympathetic than the heroes

The dialogue

The combat

The hamfisted social commentary

360 noscope abortions

An ending that makes almost zero sense
I want no more spoilers.

BUt I must say you missed out the butchery of Sparda. Sparda got captured and exiled by some demons? Fucking really? Because the rest of the series myhtos has Sparda as a nigh-unstoppable killing machine.

Darth Pope

Jun 30, 2009
Very disappointing to see The Escapist has given this polished turd a pass. I've known it would come to this since the debut trailer for this game first came out. I REFUSE to support Capcom with my money by paying for this gutted, pandering, hackjob that thinks it's my beloved Devil May Cray. Fuck Capcom and fuck Ninja Theory. I'm playing Bayonetta 2.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Archemetis said:
Also, I'm sorry, but am I reading comments in regards to the writing being worse than the original games?

Just so we can be clear on this one...

(Just to add: I love Capcom games, but I sure as hell don't love them for their writing.)
CAPCOM didn't write or develop it, those are both on NT. Secondly, while the DMC series wasn't exactly Planescape Torment, it was self-aware enough to not take itself too seriously so you could laugh WITH it instead of AT it and the characters at least had some charm and were likable. This...this tries SO HARD to be taken seriously and FAILS at every turn. NT's version of Dante is like Travis Touchdown played straight and as such he comes off as a complete twat-racket.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
DragonWright said:
I've played the demo, and it's competent, could've been fun. If this was a new IP, marketed as a DMC-inspired Capcom/NT collaboration, I might've bought it.

But, taking over DMC, giving us this foul-mouthed, unlikable protagonist? I'm passing.
I totally agree with you man. I'd have been fine if this was just "Angel/Demon Protagonist game #473" and classed as a new IP. But rail-roading the Devil May Cry franchise and abandoning the games that already exist just feels wrong. I was looking forward to an actual Devil May Cry 5 and I'd have bought it, so would new people to the franchise but it looks like I won't get that long awaited sequel now, at least not for a very. very long time. Sad really. Everyone could've got what they wanted fan-boy or no, but sadly it just hasn't turned out that way.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Its a better game than the last at least in trems of game play and in that it might be the best, difficulty is so so and the new design is stupidly annoying.Its a begrudging 7 if that. That is all......

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Well. Finally played the damn thing. It surprises me that I don't hate it as much as I thought it would. Though that's like saying a root canal only hurt slightly ass much as you expected.

The game is okay. Not the complete flop fan boys expected it to be. But my god, this has no business calling itself a Devil May Cry game. All the fun has been sucked out of what story the franchise had, and fucked over the combat quite a bit.

I'd give this a pass.

Danial said:
I hope the writing and voice acting can live up to the stellar stuff we got from the first 4 games.

Oh and thanks for the stellar line of spoilers here guys. Its a just a shame that The Escapist doesn't have say, Spoiler tags for hiding spoiler plot points

Oh....

Oh and the Dante with white hair cut scene is what we call a joke, Its a new thing to the internet i know but try goggling the word, you'd be surprised on how many of them there are out there. Hopefully the internet can one day learn not to act like Islamic extremists when someone in power slightly mocks their silly self righteous anger.
Yay for original thoughts...

Yeah. People use that one scene a lot to say DMC's writing wasn't much to write home about in the first place. But thst's one overly dramatic scene that makes up 1% of all the cutscenes.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Aiddon said:
Xcell935 said:
This game was literally as if Grass growing and Paint drying made a video game. The very definition of a rental.
As a Devil May Cry game, its horrible.

The characters even Dante are wooden and unlikeable, the "ground breaking writing" from NT is as cliche as it comes and is heavy on bad dialogue, the gameplay is slow but tight but compared to DMC standards it is sub par, humor is not "Shakespearean", and the ending is flat and predictable. Yes this game wasn't the horrible abomination people predicted it would be, but it still suffered the same fate as RE6. When you cut off a large portion of the demographic, and show disrespect towards the original source material, you lose sales, A LOT of sales.

In a nutshell saying that this games "success" in not being bad "silenced the haters", you are dead wrong. All it did was prove our/the fans points that has nothing to do with change really, just bad decision making on Capcom's end. Its a damn shame, I really wanted a DMC5.
At the very least, it's just difficult to recommend this game when there are other, BETTER options out there. The DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, God War 1, 2, and 3, El Shaddai, Asura's Wrath, and Bayonetta are all cheaper, and just BETTER (or at the least just more unique). Heck, I'd even say just wait for Metal Gear Rising which has been looking GREAT so far (and heck, people will probably make a more concrete decision with the demo coming out next week). And if it's story, you're not playing the DMC series ANYWAY; if you did play this, you're just gonna be disappointed at the least
I probably should have mentioned that I did play it beginning to end, pretty much the perks you get for having a cousin whose second job is to get early access to games in order to review them.

I merely mentioned the bad story because this is Ninja Theory (Fact: Fans of the game pre-release even voted that they cared more about the story then the gameplay, a weird fact indeed...), you'd think they would have hired a good writer like they did their previous titles but no. Not to mention DMC's story in general was never anything to brag about but at least some of its previous title's stories were simple, this ones is trying too hard to be something revolutionary and ends up hopping the bandwagon of all cliches.

Funny you mention MG Rising, I played that demo and I can honestly say I have the feeling it'll turn out great. Sure the being able to cut anything and everything isn't original but what Rising has that the DMC reboot lacks is the fun. I got nostalgic DMC3 chills when I played Rising, not only that but DMC's original creator is directing it, and the combat is not only fluid its also fast. I can only imagine the possibilities when it comes to the challenge it will bring.
Sometimes its wise to do research and get an idea before you spend your small fortune of 60$ after all.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Xcell935 said:
I probably should have mentioned that I did play it beginning to end, pretty much the perks you get for having a cousin whose second job is to get early access to games in order to review them.

I merely mentioned the bad story because this is Ninja Theory (Fact: Fans of the game pre-release even voted that they cared more about the story then the gameplay, a weird fact indeed...), you'd think they would have hired a good writer like they did their previous titles but no. Not to mention DMC's story in general was never anything to brag about but at least some of its previous title's stories were simple, this ones is trying too hard to be something revolutionary and ends up hopping the bandwagon of all cliches.

Funny you mention MG Rising, I played that demo and I can honestly say I have the feeling it'll turn out great. Sure the being able to cut anything and everything isn't original but what Rising has that the DMC reboot lacks is the fun. I got nostalgic DMC3 chills when I played Rising, not only that but DMC's original creator is directing it, and the combat is not only fluid its also fast. I can only imagine the possibilities when it comes to the challenge it will bring.
Sometimes its wise to do research and get an idea before you spend your small fortune of 60$ after all.
Actually Rising isn't being directed by Kamiya (he isn't even REMOTELY involved in development) as he's already directing The Wonderful 101. Still, it is looking good so far and even the demo seems to trounce this...THING'S attempts at gameplay.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Yay for original thoughts...

Yeah. People use that one scene a lot to say DMC's writing wasn't much to write home about in the first place. But thst's one overly dramatic scene that makes up 1% of all the cutscenes.
It's one example of many, Capcom games have the same ideas towards writing as Jimmy Savile had towards the year 6 netball team i.e. nothing good. DMC 1-4 all contained some really awful writing and in 2 of the games terrible stories (2/4), I'm an undying fan of DMC3, its one of the best games ever made and also holds one of my only ever real achievements in a game (finished on DMD mode) but as good as the main story was, the writing to get their was in parts teeth gratingly awful ("This Party's getting CHRAZEH! lets rock!").

DmC, from the 3 hours i have played is...Not a great deal better story/Writing wise I'll admit, and doesn't hold a candle too 3, It so far feels like a good solid 7/10 game, But people are comparing it to the old games and holding them up as pure bastions of greatness that are being besmirched by the fact that one out of context scene and the fact that Dante looks different, I cant in any way shape or form see why people hate this and still defend DMC2, which was genuinely terrible.

Its a good game, It's not as good as Bayonetta or DMC3, or possibly MGSR (i refuse to call it Revengence, that is not a real word) but its hardly a 0/10 abortion that the people who, as far as i can work out have mostly not bothered playing the damn thing) seem to think, but then again holding fan review meta critic marks as anything other than a /v/ Revenge kick is usually a bad idea.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Aiddon said:
Archemetis said:

Just so we can be clear on this one...

(Just to add: I love Capcom games, but I sure as hell don't love them for their writing.)
CAPCOM didn't write or develop it, those are both on NT. Secondly, while the DMC series wasn't exactly Planescape Torment, it was self-aware enough to not take itself too seriously so you could laugh WITH it instead of AT it and the characters at least had some charm and were likable. This...this tries SO HARD to be taken seriously and FAILS at every turn. NT's version of Dante is like Travis Touchdown played straight and as such he comes off as a complete twat-racket.
While I'm not disagreeing with the bulk of your post, please realise that when I wrote my post, not once did I say that Capcom developed or wrote this iteration of DMC.

What I did say, in case it wasn't very clear was that people were complaining about the writing by comparing it to the previous games, which were developed and written by Capcom who I was quick to remind everyone can't write for toffees.