Do bicyclists belong on the roads or on the sidewalks?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
robingthehood said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Saelune said:
I dont care what happens, if someone hits me with a bike while im walking, its their fault. (Unless I jump in front of them on purpose obviously)
Actually it would still be the cyclists fault, as it would be the drivers fault if you jumped in front of a car. A pedestrian, no matter what they're doing, always have the right of way over a vehicle. Even if they're jay-walking across a busy street.
I think you will find that no one has "right of way". There are only circumstances in which you must give way to someone else. In Australia at least.
In America, we call it the right of way. Vehicles must yield to other drivers in certain situations (Like turning left at an intersection or when going on an on ramp). In the case with Pedestrians, no matter the situation, all vehicles must yield for pedestrians.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hashime said:
Saelune said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Saelune said:
I dont care what happens, if someone hits me with a bike while im walking, its their fault. (Unless I jump in front of them on purpose obviously)
Actually it would still be the cyclists fault, as it would be the drivers fault if you jumped in front of a car. A pedestrian, no matter what they're doing, always have the right of way over a vehicle. Even if they're jay-walking across a busy street.
Well...I would prefer to be in the right because I actually am, not because of faulty laws.
I have hit 2 pedestrians in my cycling career, and I can tell you that no matter what it is your fault. Fortunately no one decided to sue or press charges. The first time a kid (about 4) ran out between 2 parked cars where my front wheel hit her square in the chest sending her flying back and sending me and my bike into the ground hard. I did not have enough time to react. She was alright, but still had to go to the hospital to get checked out. I had relatively sever abrasions and still have scars from that incident. Of course the parents blamed me for "going to fast" even though if I were a car their daughter would be dead.

The second incident was minor. I was riding on a combination cyclist / pedestrian path and he out of nowhere stepped in-front of me. I had been ringing my bell, so it came as a surprise, he had been texting with his iPod in. I learned that day to never trust a pedestrian. I got tossed and he received a bruise on his leg. I ended up getting injured worse that time.

Bike-pedestrian impacts are not fun.
Sidewalks were made for people to walk on, hence the name. The first incident was actually the parents fault in my eyes. The second time, I only spare you blame since it was a place people are specifically expected to ride. (I often drown out the world with my iPod, but I would be cautious if I were on a bike path) On basic sidewalks though, I have no sympathy for bikers. Even times when I was fully aware of an aproching biker, they still nearly ran me over, no bell, no seeming remorse, and certainly no slowdown.

robingthehood

Mar 14, 2011
Hashime said:
Ambi said:
On roads. We should have multiple bike lanes. I can't find the picture of it though.

But while cars are on the road, please gtfo. I don't care how sporty and professional you look clad in sponsor emblazoned fluro jumpsuits riding side by side hunched over those handlebars. When there is a bike lane, please don't ride as close to the line as possible to make me scared I'll hit you.

As for hitting people on the footpath, do they not have eyes and functioning brakes and bells? Are people really that impatient and judgment impaired that they need to ride past someone at a speed that disables them from turning a corner safely or reacting in time if someone, say, changed direction suddenly? I know accidents happen and all, but it's not as bad as being hit by a car.
The advent of the iPod has made bells useless, trust me.
Agreed. ipods, phones and the various other symptoms of e-zombies have rendered the bell fairly useless. I tend to shout things.

I do however, have it on good authority that air horns work a charm.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
it's literally a matter of law that bikes are categorized as vehicles, so basically yea stay the hell off the sidewalk

the potential for hitting a person on the sidewalk and cracking their skull is much greater than the potential of a car being way too close to the curb and hitting you, and trust me the cars hate you enough to watch out for you

but good on you for riding a bike and helping the environment and such

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Isn't age a factor, guys?
I mean, I'm not going to turn round to some Dad and say "Your four year-old should be out there on the road!" but yes, if they're old enough, teens and up let's say, then they should be on the road. Newcomers, I'm easy with - if your mum takes up cycling to work after 20-odd years then good for her, the roads can be a dangerous place, so use the pavement if you wish - at the end of the day it's a safety thing.

Getting kids to ride young and ride sensible is key for confidence-building (not on their own at first, I'm not talking about ABANDONING them out there!) and cycling on the roads is great for building road-sense before you're old enough to drive. Driving a car becomes a lot easier if you're already familiar with road signs, judging distance and adapting to road conditions; we may all think we have this kind of common sense in buckets but there's no substitute for experience.

Ideal scenario: bike lanes THAT ARE CONNECTED and THAT GO SOMEWHERE USEFUL so that I can actually get to places!(Copenhagen, anyone? Brilliant little set-up) Otherwise, heck, if you're concerned, ride on the pavement, if you're confident, ride on the road.

(House tip: I've found that motorists give you a wider birth if you look less 'cyclist', i.e. if you're out in the old lycra and cleats they're happy to hug close to you 'cus they reckon you'll manage - tossers)

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
In the UK it's technicially illegal for cyclists to be on the pavements (that's what we call sidewalks, if you were wondering) but no one pays attention or even enforces it, really.

Personally, I think they should be on the road or in cycle lanes but you could argue either way. It's just personal preference.

ltbigjohn

Jul 28, 2010
i don't care where they are as long as they continue to run into things for my amusement or else blow my mind by hopping from benches to cars to riding on a thin metal gate

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I stick to the road most of the time, but will ride on the sidewalks on a few streets.

The main road that connects my housing area with the closest commercial one is an example of this. While there is a bike lane on it, I do not trust the drivers around me to respect it. Last time I was on it, I had two drivers fly by my at over 60 kmph, with only about a foot of room between me and their mirrors. And this is with me almost riding on top of the curb. Not to mention, when I passed the small section that connects to the country club, I had someone completely ignore me as I approached, forcing me use both my brakes, come to a very sudden and abrupt halt, and leave me only inches of room as he cut me off.

In short, if I feel I can't trust the drivers around me, I don't give a damn about what people feel about me riding on the sidewalks. In addition, it pisses me off when I get hassled by it from some old ***** as I pass by, going off of the sidewalk myself and biking on the grass so she has room, because I'm not on the road where I honestly don't at all feel comfortable riding on anymore. I feel my safety is a hell of a lot more important than a slight bit of your convinience.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Dark Knifer said:
I'd say sidewalks would be safer. Running into someone on a sidewalk might get you grazed knee whereas running into a car can cost you your life.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Rhiannon-Bennett-Teenager-Killed-By-Cyclist-Family-Hit-Out-As-Biker-Sentenced-With-A-Fine/Article/200807215029710

Courtesy of my home town.

In light of this I'd say cyclists belong on the roads. Vehicles live on the road, a bike is a vehicle so it goes on the road. This rule applies to all vehicles, regardless of how ridiculous or buggeringly annoying they are to other road users because the alternative is that you mix silent metal vehicles with a good turn of speed in with pedestrians.

EDIT: And that pains me to say because I fucking hate being stuck behind some wobbly-ass crunchy doing ten miles an hour and somehow managing to take up a whole lane.
When you say vehicle, your talking about something that cannot hope to go the same speed a everyone else and has next to no protection. It pains me to say it, but one death is not really enough to justify them being on the road. Many more people get killed on the road then on the sidewalk and as long as bicyclists have a sensible speed then it should avoided any more cases like this. Cases might still occur but I'd say it would be much lower then the road statistics. I am talking about individuals though, a group of bikes would probably be better suited for the road. All I think is that it should be legal to go one the sidewalk or on the road, whichever they feel better about.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Saelune said:
Hashime said:
Saelune said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Saelune said:
Well...I would prefer to be in the right because I actually am, not because of faulty laws.
I have hit 2 pedestrians in my cycling career, and I can tell you that no matter what it is your fault. Fortunately no one decided to sue or press charges. The first time a kid (about 4) ran out between 2 parked cars where my front wheel hit her square in the chest sending her flying back and sending me and my bike into the ground hard. I did not have enough time to react. She was alright, but still had to go to the hospital to get checked out. I had relatively sever abrasions and still have scars from that incident. Of course the parents blamed me for "going to fast" even though if I were a car their daughter would be dead.

The second incident was minor. I was riding on a combination cyclist / pedestrian path and he out of nowhere stepped in-front of me. I had been ringing my bell, so it came as a surprise, he had been texting with his iPod in. I learned that day to never trust a pedestrian. I got tossed and he received a bruise on his leg. I ended up getting injured worse that time.

Sidewalks were made for people to walk on, hence the name. The first incident was actually the parents fault in my eyes. The second time, I only spare you blame since it was a place people are specifically expected to ride. (I often drown out the world with my iPod, but I would be cautious if I were on a bike path) On basic sidewalks though, I have no sympathy for bikers. Even times when I was fully aware of an aproching biker, they still nearly ran me over, no bell, no seeming remorse, and certainly no slowdown.
The biker probably expected you to continue on your current course, many bikers that have been at it a while get used to being very close to things. I can guarantee that most times you were making the assumption that you would not move. I can say that after riding at the shoulder of the road (ad the bike lade was full of snow) and having a tractor trailer pass 30cm from your head, your concept of distance changes. That is not to forgive those cyclists, they should always signal you.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Chicago Ted said:
I stick to the road most of the time, but will ride on the sidewalks on a few streets.

The main road that connects my housing area with the closest commercial one is an example of this. While there is a bike lane on it, I do not trust the drivers around me to respect it. Last time I was on it, I had two drivers fly by my at over 60 kmph, with only about a foot of room between me and their mirrors. And this is with me almost riding on top of the curb. Not to mention, when I passed the small section that connects to the country club, I had someone completely ignore me as I approached, forcing me use both my brakes, come to a very sudden and abrupt halt, and leave me only inches of room as he cut me off.

In short, if I feel I can't trust the drivers around me, I don't give a damn about what people feel about me riding on the sidewalks. In addition, it pisses me off when I get hassled by it from some old ***** as I pass by, going off of the sidewalk myself and biking on the grass so she has room, because I'm not on the road where I honestly don't at all feel comfortable riding on anymore. I feel my safety is a hell of a lot more important than a slight bit of your convinience.
One can never trust the drivers around them. I looked a driver in the eye as he nearly smacked me going around a turn in a parking lot (I had the right of way). Drivers in general are to be considered mentally retarded chimps who have been given a large dose of crack-cocaine.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hashime said:
Saelune said:
Hashime said:
Saelune said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Saelune said:

The biker probably expected you to continue on your current course, many bikers that have been at it a while get used to being very close to things. I can guarantee that most times you were making the assumption that you would not move. I can say that after riding at the shoulder of the road (ad the bike lade was full of snow) and having a tractor trailer pass 30cm from your head, your concept of distance changes. That is not to forgive those cyclists, they should always signal you.
Made me nervious either way, which could lead to a bad choice in movement. Plus, walk down the street, and try to not walk in someones way, and they you, but you both still do? Now make one riding a bike.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The only people who own cars in cities are assholes, outsiders, and assholes who are also outsiders. The roads belong to the superior people, in this case cyclists.
CAPTCHA:slides sixcena

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
"as far to the edge as you can ride"

That's garbage. Most of the time it's perfectly okay to be right in the damn middle or even huggin the center line. Helps everyone see you better.
\

Oh and for all you saying bikes should be on the sidewalks:

It's illegal for a town to order bicycles off the road. they can order them off sidewalks though.

So you are wrong.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Sidewalks. I have seen far to many cyclists fall over on the road and nearly get run over, or have held up cars because there riding in the middle of the damn road. Also, if a cyclist hits you the damage won't be to bad. If a cyclist hits a cars he's likely going to be dead.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
Over here, you can get a small fine for riding your bike on the sidewalk.
Then again, we do have this tiny lane on the side reserved for just us.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Lilani said:
I'm attending college, and recently I thought it was a good idea to start riding a bike around campus, both for convenience and for my health. But I also learned of a very silly policy regarding where you are allowed to ride your bike. As it turns out, it is a ticketable offense to ride your bike on public sidewalks. Bicycles are to be ridden on the streets, as far to the edge as you can ride.

I've thought and thought about this, and I can't figure out the logic behind this. I don't trust cars. Half a second of distraction or error, and you've got two tons of steel barreling across that line and making contact with the edge of the road. Any bicyclist caught in the middle of that can consider themselves severely injured at best and stone-cold dead at worst.

If I had to choose between being a pedestrian getting hit by a bicycle, and a bicyclist getting hit by a car, I'd rather get hit by a bike any day. And at least on the sidewalk, I can see what I need to avoid. I can see those little old ladies and mommies with their strollers way ahead, and slow and steer as needed. On the road, cars are whizzing by me and all I can do is pray to God that each and every one of them sees me and hugs the left rather than the right. I have an alarmingly small amount of control over my safety.

So, what do you think, Escapists? Do bikes really belong on the road with cars, or is it safer for everyone for them to stick to the sidewalks?

EDIT: Bah, forgot to add the poll. Oh well.
Legally, in most states, a bicycle qualifies as a "light vehicle" and thus must be driven in the traffic lane. This also means that all traffic laws apply to bikes, so you can technically get ticketed for not signalling, yielding to pedestrians, or for not coming to a full stop at stop signs. This also provides the cyclist with a measure of protection, because as long as you are obeying the laws and some bonehead in a car dings you it's their fault and their insurance premiums that go up.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
If there is a bike lane, I use it. EVERY street should have a bike lane. When a street does have a bike lane, I have absolutely no problem riding on the road and neither do any motorists, they can pass me easily and it's all good.
When there's not, I have to dodge cars, both parked and moving. The cars give me a wide berth because they can't know where I'm going to ride. I HAVE to ride out into the middle of the lane sometimes because people park their cars so far out from the curb that I'm forced to. It's extremely dangerous.

So of course I'm going to ride on the footpath in some streets.

Matt_LRR said:
A bicycle is a vehicle, and should be ridden on the road.

Riding a bike on a sidewalk you are a danger to pedestrians, and actually increase your chances of being in a crash with a vehicle as they do not expect you to be on sidewalks.

Take it from a long-time cyclist - if you ride your bike like you were driving a car, you'll be VASTLY safer than if you ride like you're a pedestrian.

-m
If I get hit by a car, the first thing the motorist will say is "I didn't see him."
You can't treat a bike like a car. They're not as noticable. Even if I have lights on (and I do at night) They'll try to pull it.