Do I deserve to be spat on for saying this to a gay person?

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
He asked them to stop so they spat on him? No wonder it turned into a brawl! I don't care what sexuality you are but don't start making out in front of me while I'm trying to concentrate on something, and if you spit on me then I hope you enjoy having your lungs located in your throat.

Aerosmith250

Jul 22, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Spitting at someone is a crime in many places, I would have called the police.

Making out in a movie theater also is generally frowned upon, if they didn't stop and it annoyed you, I would have asked the ushers to deal with it, and odds are they would have been told to stop or get out.

None of this has anything to do with sexual preference.
Calling the police in Ireland is generally less than useless, I don't know if it's specifically a crime here but I doubt they would have gotten involved either way.

I don't know about the cinema this happened in but in my local cinema and a few in towns near me there is no rule against making out - where i live pretty much the only thing teenage couples do is go and kiss in the cinema at a bad movie (although, as has been pointed out - this is INCEPTION!)

Apart from cinemas in Dublin the ushers generally don't do anything except clean up the empty popcorn boxes after the film. So there was probably no fall back for him, the guys were definitely out of line for spitting on him but if I were in his place I would have just moved seats rather than risk the inevitable threat of a brawl because sadly, not being a minority, I would have been considered in the wrong.

OP: I used to get kind of uncomfortable when i saw gays or lesbians make out but college has kind of desensitised me to that now

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Sorry I need to call bullshit on the entire OT.

James Joseph Emerald said:
We don't like gays going all "look at me, I'm so gay!"
I'm willing to hazard the guess that you have never really had such an experience. Or have met anyone who's acted that way.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
The guy's a douche. Plain and simple.

(The spitting guy I mean...)

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
i wonder why they happened to sit directly behind the only other 2 people in the cinema. when i go i try to get as far away from others as possible.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
I never really viewed not wanting to see gay people make out as any sort of homophobia. You aren't afraid of them, you just think it's gross. It's a nonattractive act to you, like seeing a fat person eat a huge meal, or an old guy wearing a banana hammock.

Straight people get uncomfortable when they see homosexual folks kiss not because they hate gays, but because they personally think it's unattractive and difficult to ignore.

Though funnily enough, this usually does not apply to 2 people of the opposite gender. Mostly because then the mind puts you in between the two.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Guest_Star said:
Ya'll need to take a chill pill. Major overreaction by all parties involved.

How can a couple making out be distracting during a film (unless ofc they're moaning and generally making a nuisance of themselves)? But, spitting ain't no good comeback either as long as the guy complaining is being civil.

'Homos' means 'one and the same', so 'homophobia' would technically mean 'a pathological fear of things staying the same')
True dat. Homophobia has two meanings, one being the fear of monotomy, sameness, the other is fear/hatred of homosexuals, fear of becoming one.
Guys kissing in it's self is distracting, but of any type kissing right in front of you is fairly distracting.

OT: Completly justified. You're there to watch a movie, if you don't want to, then leave don't distract everyone else they paid just as much as you. Just because you find it boring doesn't mean they will and just because you paid to enter doesn't give you free rein to be a dick.

.... I hate people like that.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think anyone deserves to be spat upon, but let me ask you a question. Would your friend have said the same thing to a heterosexual couple making out? If your friend only did it because they were gay, he was kind of being a jerk (though he still doesn't deserve to have been spat upon).

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
The other guys deserved it, even if it were a man and a chick I would be disgusted by it, cause well, I'm trying to watch a BLOODY MOVIE. And with a movie like Inception those two guys rightfully stood up and said in a polite manner, "please stop" now, why the fuck did that guy get spat on? Because the gay guy was a cynical douche! He thinks everybody hates him? Than everyone SHOULD hate him, since he can't accept the fact that people want to watch a movie.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Plurralbles said:
No one deserves to be spat on.
I dunno. I can think of a lot of dictators, political leaders, heartless corporate executives, school bullies, and former friends that deserve some spitting on. lol

OT: Your friend isn't in the wrong. I wouldn't say he's in the right as it's just as rude to interrupt people doing that... but if you ask me, take that somewhere else man. No need to be doing that in front of people. Gay, straight, etc. Get a room, right?

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Anyway, here's the thing. Recently my friend and his friend went to see Inception (I think), and the cinema was fairly empty, except for these two other guys in front of them.
I have a question. Couldn't your friends, have moved? Granted the gay guys didn't have to spit in his face (although, they probably thought "Great! Another Fag-Beater, who wants us to burn in Hell!", so I understand their reaction.).

Then again, how many times does a heterosexual couple make out in a movie theater, and not be told to stop. If these were two girls, I'm sure your friend wouldn't have minded (well, it still might have been distracting).

To sum it up: The guys shouldn't have spit, but your friend didn't have to tell them to stop.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
hesitantly I say that your friend may be exaggerating and the papers definately. Truth generally (though not always) lies somewehre in the middle of people's stories.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
If it were a heterosexual couple making out, would you have asked them to stop? If so, then there's no problem.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Your friend wasn't being intolerant. He asked them to stop so he could see Inception and they were not only being rude whoever it was of the couple that spat at your friend took it way too far. It's also inappropriate for any couples to make out cuz it would distract anyone if they were sitting next to you.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Basically, people today have very little regard for the rights of others around then. The justification for this is that such poeple (apparently) have the 'right' to do so. After nearly a decade here in Japan, I dread the reverse culture shock of going home where people act like their the only people existing in the world. Things like: "I can ruin this movie for you, and it's my right!", or "I can tell you that your a *$%@#&?+, and it's my right", and so on. And such displays of being a total +*&% are almost always followed by a "deal with it, #$%hole!"

No actually, I'm staying in Japan where I don't have to deal with poeple like that, and people keep their 'rights' to themselves.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
This is one of those cases where the hate-crime is ironically fueled by hating of hate. Now that I've confused you, I mean it in the sense that couple were probably zealous in their homosexuality and rashly believed any attempt to hinder their sexual practices was motivated by the hate of homosexuality in general. It would be the same as hating a Muslim because of 9/11, or black people hating white people because of racism, or hating a protestant because of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Having said that, those guys were a couple of assholes who needed a good beating as far as I'm concerned.

Archer147

Aug 7, 2009
i work in a cinema, and if all they're doing is kissing, you got off light. the things i've seen...

but seriously folks, the guy shouldn't have spit, and your friend probably shouldn't have said anything. they weren't making noise, they weren't flashing any lights around- you guys weren't paying attention and you found something else to occupy yourself with. if it bothered you that much, take it to one of the cinema staff.

anyway, the biggest problem here, when you get right to the core of it, is you guys WEREN'T WATCHING INCEPTION. GO BACK AND WATCH IT AGAIN.