Do members of the military get too much respect? What profession do you respect the most?

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Xin Baixiang said:
It's more with the tune of the rest of the statements leading up to mine. The guns being owned instead of rented, etc. The statistical statement that you see, from my perspective, is just a "build on" joke about common perception taken to the wacky extreme. The jaded aspect of my personality means that I don't take things seriously as a defense mechanism. I've seen some shit, it's either laugh at life and crack jokes or cry and end up in the bottom of a bottle, I take the joke route.
So that explained why you said that, but not why you expected to be understood. I mean, noone reading your posts knows who you are and your exact experiences, why do you expect someone to recognize when you are joking and when not? (I am not trying to attack you, I am genuinely curious).

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
soldiers don't really get anything or achive anything in the long run
think I'm going to have to point out that "no soldiers is best for everyone"

Trenten Meyer

Oct 20, 2011
I really dont want to argue with you, but you are just saying some incredible, as in in-c readable things. If you think that ONLY people who are in professions that dont "need" education can be respected without that education, then quite honestly i dont know what to tell you. but here's some things that you might like to know: at least a GED is required to serve, the military purposely educates each soldier they get in at least some basic education after they get them, If a soldier wants to do any job, they get specialized education for it, the GI bill will pay almost all of a soldiers college tuition, they place such a high importance on education DODDEs (department of defense department of education, the school district for all children who go to school on base) schools are some of the best in the world, but i digress, like i said, i don't want to argue, but it just hurts me to see people rip so hard on people who give so much. and, also, of course i'm biased, my father was almost killed on his tour.

dolfan1304

May 18, 2009
I personally think that or service members dont get enough respect, but it is also true that professions like police, firefighters, and even teachers get almost no respect from the average person

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Military members get so much respect because they're literally resigning themselves to taking bullets for their country. No matter what you think of the current conflict your country is involved in, that is a damn noble trait.

Though I do agree that teachers get way too little respect, though that may be due to their abundance.

Xin Baixiang

Feb 25, 2009
Volkov said:
Snippity Doo
Honestly, I don't intend to be understood by everyone. Some people will look at what I've said and get the joke, some won't. It makes little nevermind to me which is which, as long as I've laughed and someone else has laughed we're all good.

I can't rightly tell if you were playing along with my joke or not, from my perspective, you know? I can't be so unique that no one else sees the world the way I do, nor can you, so we both have those people who agree with our views on this little exchange, and we both have those people who think we're a couple of dolts.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
I think it's just about right. I grew up a military brat and there are some soldiers who are great people and some who are complete asshats. I know some who are in for glory, some for college money, some because there was no other way out of their small town, some who were given the option of jail time or service time, some for the sense of duty, some for vengeance soo many different reasons I don't out right respect the profession just because. But it doesn't prevent me from respecting individual soldiers if they deserve it.

I don't know who I respect the most but I know farmers are up there. I don't think anyone's mentioned them. No way I'm gonna go farm. Thank you farmers for continuing to farm, shepherd fish and whatever else crazy stuff you do. Climb huge trees in humid jungles for chocolate, diving through crashing surf so Red Lobster is cheap or wander the west coast of the u.s. like some gypsy combine harvester from state to state picking the food on my plate.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Fagotto said:
thaluikhain said:
Fagotto said:
Military? Not much education required in and of itself. Certain positions, but the respect people give doesn't seem to depend on that. How much good it does? Right now I'm not seeing much at all. Might help a bit, but the helping seems to be mostly fixing things that they broke in the first place.
Do you know the proper way of constructing a foxhole in stage? Best procedure for surviving a nuclear blast? Look up all the US field manuals they have online, there's quite a bit of information there.

Likewise, I don't know about the US military so much, but what about the military's role in East Timor? The Solomon Islands? Disaster relief in Haiti?
Why the hell would I need to know that? I'm not talking about that kind of education.

What about those? Some minor things. What, are you trying to paint that as the majority of what the military does? And for things like disaster relief there are organizations that help. I do not see people falling down to lick their boots.
What you don't seem to understand is that every, every position in the military requires some degree of education. I'm a buck private and I do the same work that a white-collar office worker does every day. There are other servicemen of similar rank performing the duties of legal interns (to say nothing of the officer cadre of both MOS'). Even the combat arms have significant education in technical skills. It's a huge fallacy to think that soldiers are uneducated.

And are you suggesting that because one job might be blue collar or because a person in that occupation has no conventional education (for whatever reason) that they are therefore deserving of less respect than a person who does have an education, regardless of the utility of that education?

ultrachicken said:
Though I do agree that teachers get way too little respect, though that may be due to their abundance.
That and because not every teacher is very good. I had quite a few teachers that you could say weren't deserving of respect.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Teachers.

It's something that only a few people can actually do well, they usually work longer hours than anyone else, have a metric ton of responsibility on a daily basis for the welfare of the next generation, and are expected to do this with minimal pay, and rising disrespect from students and parents alike.

So yeah. Teachers.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Too much respect from our nationalist media? Yeah, probably. I'd like to see some respect for the militaries of other countries, tbh. You don't see a whole lot of respect in the US for the Afghan National Army of the PLA (Chinese) Marine Corps.

Too much respect from the average citizen? Not really. I appreciate their service and I'd be glad to see more tax dollars go to veteran health care, but I don't prostrate in front of soldiers or anything.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Fagotto said:
StarCecil said:
Fagotto said:
thaluikhain said:
Fagotto said:
Military? Not much education required in and of itself. Certain positions, but the respect people give doesn't seem to depend on that. How much good it does? Right now I'm not seeing much at all. Might help a bit, but the helping seems to be mostly fixing things that they broke in the first place.
Do you know the proper way of constructing a foxhole in stage? Best procedure for surviving a nuclear blast? Look up all the US field manuals they have online, there's quite a bit of information there.

Likewise, I don't know about the US military so much, but what about the military's role in East Timor? The Solomon Islands? Disaster relief in Haiti?
Why the hell would I need to know that? I'm not talking about that kind of education.

What about those? Some minor things. What, are you trying to paint that as the majority of what the military does? And for things like disaster relief there are organizations that help. I do not see people falling down to lick their boots.
What you don't seem to understand is that every, every position in the military requires some degree of education. I'm a buck private and I do the same work that a white-collar office worker does every day. There are other servicemen of similar rank performing the duties of legal interns (to say nothing of the officer cadre of both MOS'). Even the combat arms have significant education in technical skills. It's a huge fallacy to think that soldiers are uneducated.

And are you suggesting that because one job might be blue collar or because a person in that occupation has no conventional education (for whatever reason) that they are therefore deserving of less respect than a person who does have an education, regardless of the utility of that education?
I am referring to the kind of education as in getting a degree. Not just any old office work.

The profession is deserving of less respect.
But I do the same sort of office work that a civilian might do with a degree. I work with Marines who would be in managerial positions in business offices in civilian life. I work with tech experts who themselves have no degree yet are fully qualified in all things having to do with computer systems. By and large, many, many servicemen are doing work that would have required degrees in civilian life - from launching satellites into space to fixing up huge trucks to building bridges/buildings/walls.

And why is a profession deserving of less respect on the basis of education? A mechanic is deserving of less respect that, to pick an easy target, the CEO of a fortune 500? Because he doesn't have a degree?

Trenten Meyer

Oct 20, 2011
Fagotto said:
StarCecil said:
Fagotto said:
thaluikhain said:
Fagotto said:

I am referring to the kind of education as in getting a degree. Not just any old office work.

Why, the only things youve cited is
1 theyre not educated
2 they may die, but it doesnt do any good

lets start with one, shall we? they do not deserve respect because theyre not educated, but the education they do have you dismiss because you dont respect them. I doubt you see the problem though, well, let me educate you. you are basing an argument on itself with nothing else to base that argument.
on to two, you use the oft quoted "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" but if you take that to its logical extreme, then, why bother, right. I mean youre not certain it will work, so theres no point. of course that leads to just doing either nothing, or terrible things, which leads to hell faster.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Fagotto said:
I wouldn't say education should factor much into how much you respect someone's profession. Utility gained for society is the much bigger factor of the two you mentioned. I'd take a bachelor's degree civil rights activist over a master's degree stock broker any day.

Regarding your point about the military's helpfulness to our country, keep in mind that the purpose of a standing army isn't just to destabilize the Middle East, even if that's what they're being used for right now. It's also to have troops available if we ever really need them. I'd say the ideological value of being there if your country needs you warrants some respect, though the current exploitation of our military power by politicians doesn't.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
That cook or mechanic might be a little more experienced than you think.

My first platoon was a some 70-odd mechanics. They worked hard. Really hard. When the infantry types were done training for the day around 1400, my guys were still turning wrenches in the motorpool past 1800. When they got downrange, they kept turning wrenches at all hours of the day. When troops were in short supply, we would gear up, hop in our trucks, and do the stuff our distribution platoons were supposed to do, running convoys and looking out for IEDs. They fought and they fixed stuff. They were smart and dedicated, and truth be told they did a lot more than I did.

But not a whole lot of people know that. They see logistics guys and automatically assume that they're just lazy welfare recipients. Those people suck. What's the harm in giving them the benefit of the doubt? It's a nice thing to say.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Fagotto said:
StarCecil said:
Fagotto said:
StarCecil said:
Fagotto said:
thaluikhain said:
Fagotto said:

But I do the same sort of office work that a civilian might do with a degree. I work with Marines who would be in managerial positions in business offices in civilian life. I work with tech experts who themselves have no degree yet are fully qualified in all things having to do with computer systems. By and large, many, many servicemen are doing work that would have required degrees in civilian life - from launching satellites into space to fixing up huge trucks to building bridges/buildings/walls.

And why is a profession deserving of less respect on the basis of education? A mechanic is deserving of less respect that, to pick an easy target, the CEO of a fortune 500? Because he doesn't have a degree?
So you say. I'm not likely to trust your assessment.

Why? Because education means something to me.

Your example, btw, is terrible. I have reasons to lack respect for the CEO for reasons besides education.
But it's a fact that a Combat Engineer does not need to have a degree to perform his duties - which include things like building barricades, latrines, walls, bridges and buildings in the middle of nowhere - when a civil engineer does require a degree. A mechanic in the Marine Corps or Army works on huge diesel trucks when a civilian employer would require a technical school of some sort. A mechanic in the Navy works on a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier for Christ's sake. Even an infantryman needs some technical proficiency to utilize the multitude of high-tech weapons systems expected of him.

And if you have reasons to disrespect the CEO, your statements heavily imply - if not outright state - that because his job requires some sort of degree that it's automatically more respectable than an auto-mechanic with a GED or a farmer with a high school diploma.

I mean, education means something to me too but to say that you disrespect my profession because I haven't been to college (disregarding the whole slew of possible reasons for me not having attended college and assuming that a person in a basic position has not attended college) is an elitist view of the world.