Do Men Have Women Heroes?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
My brother once ran out into the yard with his sword and said " By the power of Grayskull I am She Ra!" so maybe she was his hero?
Maybe? I was admittedly a bit bemused to find out that my cousin's young son (4 years old) was apparently a fan, so it's certainly possible. To clarify though, I mean classic She Ra (which is about as painful to watch as the all the other toy-driven animations of the time), not the modern reboot (which I've heard rather good things about)

Reactions: lil devils x

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I see everyone as equal so I don't really value people on their 'accomplishments'. But women definitely have qualities I admire. For example their emotional intelligence and intuition. And also their distinct female energy. In my experience women are also able to read more between the lines and 'feel' what you mean rather than take words at face value. It doesn't have to be sexual but also emotional or personal so it allows you to really connect to your own feelings and feel seen and validated. Women are really able to disarm someone's upset demeanor and see through a facade or attitude. This allows for genuine connection which I think is what everyone ultimately wants the most, men or women. Women are really great conversation partners as well, often looking at things from different angles than men. Without women the world would have also gone under due to men's tendency for destruction and nihilism. I always considered 'soft' qualities to be the biggest strength. Similarly in organizations they can be the best leaders exactly for this reason. Ultimately nature complemented men and women perfectly. It are the times and circumstances that drive us apart.

Seeing men and women as 'adversaries' or everything as sexual competition is a really superficial, immature take. But it also makes sense, because that is how the ego protects itself. Only what men feel in their quiet moments speaks the truth, and that isn't that.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I see everyone as equal so I don't really value people on their 'accomplishments'. But women definitely have qualities I admire. For example their emotional intelligence and intuition. And also their distinct female energy. In my experience women are also able to read more between the lines and 'feel' what you mean rather than take words at face value. It doesn't have to be sexual but also emotional or personal so it allows you to really connect to your own feelings and feel seen and validated. Women are really able to disarm someone's upset demeanor and see through a facade or attitude. This allows for genuine connection which I think is what everyone ultimately wants the most, men or women. Women are really great conversation partners as well, often looking at things from different angles than men. Without women the world would have also gone under due to men's tendency for destruction and nihilism. I always considered 'soft' qualities to be the biggest strength. Similarly in organizations they can be the best leaders exactly for this reason. Ultimately nature complemented men and women perfectly. It are the times and circumstances that drive us apart.

Seeing men and women as 'adversaries' or everything as sexual competition is a really superficial, immature take. But it also makes sense, because that is how the ego protects itself. Only what men feel in their quiet moments speaks the truth, and that isn't that.
... What did I just read?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Maybe? I was admittedly a bit bemused to find out that my cousin's young son (4 years old) was apparently a fan, so it's certainly possible. To clarify though, I mean classic She Ra (which is about as painful to watch as the all the other toy-driven animations of the time), not the modern reboot (which I've heard rather good things about)
The new one is legit awesome. But, it does suffer from the age group its aimed it. Like you can feel that the action scenes want to be more intense but can't be, they want to have blood and death, but can't. Otherwise its golden, the characters are great and the character development is fantastic.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Both of course

Hhm hhm.

My sisters are people I really admire. My oldest sister has had to deal with a lot of medical problems in her adult life and has gone through the pain of losing a child and having trouble just getting pregnant but she's now been blessed with two children. She's very happy now in spite of all the pain she's gone through and I admire that.

My other sister though is around the same age as me and I admire how together she is (Though she has a different idea of how together she has things). I feel like, unlike me, she has her priorities straight and has a life and family now that she can be proud of.

When I was young I remember Storm from X-men being really cool to me, she was my favorite X-man. I also found Primrose from Octopath Traveler to be very heroic and cool. Someone who went through great humiliations while still keeping her head held high for her goal to avenge her father, I think she's very heroic and cool. Ah, I also thought Mariel from the Redwall book series was cool and heroic.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If we are referring to REAL people, then no, I can't think of a single woman that I would label a "hero." But as others have said, I don't really hold anyone in that category, as I personally feel that kind of lionization of another person, leads to dangerous behavior when they inevitably show they are just human.

The closest I personally have to a hero, is Neil Peart, the drummer of RUSH. And that's mostly because his lyrics saved my life, and helped to shape a lot of what I consider some fundamental aspects of my psyche to this day. And I wouldn't even really call him a "hero." Role model maybe? I mean, seriously what are we defining as "hero" in this discussion? that's a really nebulous term. Aside from him, I really don't know of anyone that holds a position higher than "I respect/like this person a lot."

My family was too fucked up and dysfunctional for me to go very long before having that veil ripped away about how people can behave, regardless of their connection to you.

Ah, well if we are including fictional, then the first that comes to mind is Katara from Avatar: the Last Airbender. Kind, caring person, who tries to spend her energy to help and heal anyone around her that needs help. But I feel sorry for you if you piss her off, or are the source of pain to someone she has decided she will safeguard. She will give zero fucks when she unleashes a frozen can of whoop ass on you.

Delen, from Babylon 5. A very kind woman, who again, if you piss her off, she will bring a fleet of warships on your head. I can't really articulate her awesomeness in a short way, as it's 5 seasons of her being awesome. I would just say go watch the show, and you're welcome.

I'm sure there are others on the fictional end of the spectrum, but shit, that's like 30+ years of random entertainment in my head to sift through. Fuck if I know without doing active research, which I'm not.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Ada Lovelace, the Squad, Katie Porter, Francesca Fiorentini, and RBG are mine. But I do have more male heroes than female heroes.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I don't think I ever had heroes or people I wanted to be like growing up really.

About the closet to a character I related to in recent times would be Ray Palmer.

He's a Scientist, sometimes awkward and has Coeliac and part of his ark is wanting to be something good in history not a name forgotten by most history books.(Which BTW they portray really badly in the show as I have it relatively mild and if I drank and ate some of the stuff the character does on the show I'd be on the toilet for weeks)

There's plenty of characters over the year I've seen as having admirable qualities but I've really not ever gone "I want to be like them when I grow up".

One of the ones I think about is Jennifer Tate (See the game Primal) she literally is only doing what she has to to try and get back her boyfriend. She doesn't pretend to be something she's not and isn't into the whole grand destiny idea. She just wants a fairly happy quiet life.

I admire Marie Curie's dedication to her work and making the world a better place and learning about the world. Though being critical a bit here she often saw the big picture of helping the world at the seeming expense of the smaller picture of her own children who often had relatives looking after them and her only being home at odd hours or gone for days at a time buried in her work.

My brother once ran out into the yard with his sword and said " By the power of Grayskull I am She Ra!" so maybe she was his hero?
Tell him he got it wrong because By the Power of Grayskull is He-man. For the Honour of Grayskull is She-Ra unless they changed it in the modern version of the show.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
'Hero' has a somewhat immature connotation to it and I don't think much of the current generation really subscribes to the notion of 'heroes' unlike before the internet age (or thereabouts), when 'childhood heroes' was genuinely a thing (and even that generation has, for the most part, grown out of it). The article and the OP both indicate 'role model' which is a better reflection of what public figures should be to youngsters and even adults because of the pedestal that the label of 'hero' creates, and enough people have managed to have others build the pedestal beneath them only to be knocked off it later on for various reasons. Words are such a tricky thing in this day and age.

Anyway, my views concerning why it seems men tend not to have female 'heroes' or 'role models' (whichever term you wish to place on it) are an incoherent mess, so I won't air them here. But for me, some instances have already been mentioned (e.g. Ada Lovelace, Anna Komnene & Marie Curie) and lesser instances can be found in Hedy Lamarr & Artemisia (at least what we know about her) but the biggest case for me is:

Rosalind Franklin with the accompanying four words: fuck you, James Watson. (You're a brilliant biologist, but you're such a dick.)

Life Story is a great film, but it really underplays how much of a self-absorbed prick he was/would become. As for Rosalind Franklin, in popular science, she isn't credited with most of the legwork that got Watson, Crick & Wilkins the Nobel Prize (hell, in the key paper, her and Gosling's work isn't even cited). Screw the no-posthumous awards, it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of, and it wasn't even a 'rule' when it was relevant for Franklin. The final kick in the balls (no pun intended, it literally was the first expression that came to mind) was that her subsequent work after leaving King's for Birkbeck... led to another Nobel Prize based on a foundation of her work (all credit due to Klug, however). That she was able to do what she did with that utter dump of a laboratory at Birkbeck (her equipment at King's during the early days was considered to be not much better) is beyond comprehension for research scientists these days, and without exception, her doctoral students became brilliant (or brilliant and famous) scientists in their own right (granted, given her age at death, she didn't have that many, but being a PhD supervisor at her age while coordinating a research group going down two distinct routes, churning out half a dozen Nature worthy papers a year while weighed down by ovarian cancer for part of it deserves at least something). She died at an age at which Crick only just got his PhD, for crying out loud. The final tragedy was dying the day before Expo 58.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I don't have heroes or rolemodels. In fact I consider the concept kinda stupid. But this doesn't surprise me. Most people want heroes with whom they identify with, so men will most likely pick men and women will most likely pick women. But a hero can also be someone you think of as some kind of protector. A man will never pick a woman to be his protector, but the opposite is possible.

This is really not worth discussing though. Men and women are not the same and people should really stop fooling themselves into thinking otherwise. We don't think the same and we don't feel the same.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think I have any 'heroes' -- I just don't think that level of uncritical admiration is normal or healthy. That said, I have a great deal of respect for Shirley Manson: says what she wants (and gets it right) and a strong and vocal advocate for social justice when she could just say nothing at all. Also a great singer.
Came here to say this. Including about Shirley Manson. I had two band poster growing up. Garbage was one of them

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't have heroes or rolemodels. In fact I consider the concept kinda stupid. But this doesn't surprise me. Most people want heroes with whom they identify with, so men will most likely pick men and women will most likely pick women. But a hero can also be someone you think of as some kind of protector. A man will never pick a woman to be his protector, but the opposite is possible.

This is really not worth discussing though. Men and women are not the same and people should really stop fooling themselves into thinking otherwise. We don't think the same and we don't feel the same.
I don't understand why you'd have a hero.

I also don't understand why your gentalia would determine your worth as a hero

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Back when I was a kid my heroes were Bill Murray, Michael J. Fox, Patrick Swayze, and maybe Kevin Bacon, but that's just because I thought they were cool dudes, and at that age being cool was still something to be totally in awe of.

I can't say I have any at 38 years old, either real or fictional, man or woman. I mean, I have people I admire, I guess, but I'm having a hard time coming up with any names. Sometimes I'll see an item about someone fighting against some social injustice and I'm like, 'Wow, you're brave and dedicated, and better than I'll ever be', but then I usually forget about them in the next five minutes. So I guess my heroes are the people who are sacrificing their own comfort and leisure to make life better for other people, whatever their names are that I've forgotten.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Eh, had none of the sort growing up. Everyone was just some sort of...not good? Wasn't really provided any examples of morality, only fear and distrust i guess. Fictional characters were never factored in either. It always confused me when others found people to idolise. Though I'd say nowadays, if your role model is male, you're knowingly taking a far heavier bet.
However, saying that, lately I've been really digging Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as an inspiring good egg for the times. We need to funnel her to power asap please. Also it tickles me that a lot conservatives get real funny about it whenever she's brought up elsewhere, so i do try my best.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Yes.

I don't really have heroes, personally. Male, female or otherwise.
There's a deal of women that i have huge respect for, though.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Second that, reading the title I assumed it meant fictional heroes, can't think of any real people I'd see that way.
Yeah its never a good idea to actually look into someone's life. Like MLK, or Ghandi. Yikes. Good guys, politically, and historically important, but some of their bedroom activities. Yikes.