Do Men Have Women Heroes?

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I don't think I ever had heroes or people I wanted to be like growing up really.

About the closet to a character I related to in recent times would be Ray Palmer.

He's a Scientist, sometimes awkward and has Coeliac and part of his ark is wanting to be something good in history not a name forgotten by most history books.(Which BTW they portray really badly in the show as I have it relatively mild and if I drank and ate some of the stuff the character does on the show I'd be on the toilet for weeks)

There's plenty of characters over the year I've seen as having admirable qualities but I've really not ever gone "I want to be like them when I grow up".

One of the ones I think about is Jennifer Tate (See the game Primal) she literally is only doing what she has to to try and get back her boyfriend. She doesn't pretend to be something she's not and isn't into the whole grand destiny idea. She just wants a fairly happy quiet life.

I admire Marie Curie's dedication to her work and making the world a better place and learning about the world. Though being critical a bit here she often saw the big picture of helping the world at the seeming expense of the smaller picture of her own children who often had relatives looking after them and her only being home at odd hours or gone for days at a time buried in her work.

Tell him he got it wrong because By the Power of Grayskull is He-man. For the Honour of Grayskull is She-Ra unless they changed it in the modern version of the show.
Yea, that was why I said " maybe" because we weren't exactly sure if that was what he "meant" to say. LOL

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
My boy likes dressing as Elsa. My girl likes dressing as Spiderman
When I visited my brothers, one of my nieces had an Elsa dress on and was playing with her Hot wheels garage, the other niece dressed as Batman and playing with her fairy princess dolls, my nephew was wearing butterfly wings playing with the dollhouse with the fairy princess dolls too, so I think kids could care less whether they are male or female or pay that much mind at all tbh.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Are we having a funny laugh now?

I grew up in the 80's. You know what happened in the 80's? Aliens happened in the 80's. Ripley was in the 80's. Lt Motherfucking Vasquez was in the 80's.

Lt.

Motherfucking.

Vasquez.

Who when faced with a completely overwhelming Alien force, when her fellow Marines were dying, she looked at the carnage and thought only one thing:

You're God Damned Right I never thought of a woman being lesser. Nothing that can count Lt. Vasquez as one of their number can ever be thought as Lesser.

And I'm not joking. This is the power of Media. This is why people ask for representation more than just Stereotypes. I was seven years old when I saw Aliens. And I saw the most Badass person from a Movie that should have scared me was a woman. She didn't conquer, she didn't falter, and when it was time to go, all she wanted to do was take as many of them with her.

On the flip side, other than my parents, my other real hero was Mr. Rogers.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Who when faced with a completely overwhelming Alien force, when her fellow Marines were dying, she looked at the carnage and thought only one thing:
Yeah, set off a chain reaction in the processor by firing wildly. :p

Reactions: lil devils x

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Are we having a funny laugh now?

I grew up in the 80's. You know what happened in the 80's? Aliens happened in the 80's. Ripley was in the 80's. Lt Motherfucking Vasquez was in the 80's.
Private First Class Vasquez. Ok, her rank was never specified, but she was outranked by Corporal Dwayne Hicks. The Lieutenant was Gorman.

Personally, the thing I most remember about her was when they have to collect magazines from everyone and she takes the part out to disable her weapon (instead of giving up the magazine), she's got an identical spare for her weapon, and another identical spare for someone else's as well. That's prepared.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Private First Class Vasquez. Ok, her rank was never specified, but she was outranked by Corporal Dwayne Hicks. The Lieutenant was Gorman.

Personally, the thing I most remember about her was when they have to collect magazines from everyone and she takes the part out to disable her weapon (instead of giving up the magazine), she's got an identical spare for her weapon, and another identical spare for someone else's as well. That's prepared.
Fun fact: aside from Hicks, all of the Marine's first initial and name is their actor's first name. But yeah she and Drake gave up their power cells for the smartguns but kept a spare each. And Hicks had that old Ithaca shotgun.

Sorry, I love that movie.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

You're absolutely right. I think I mixed her name with a video game character.

And here it is.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
You're absolutely right. I think I mixed her name with a video game character.

And here it is.

Considering the amount of overt references to Aliens in that game (I like to keep this for close encounters, On your feet we are leaving, I think the female chopper pilot you rescue has the fly the friendly skies inscription on their helmet and I even think someone does the In the pipe 5x5 line) you can be forgiven for getting them mixed up. Now that I type this out, I think his name is also a reference I think too.

EDIT: Almost forgot the "Crew Expendable" reference to the first film too.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Olga of Kiev, one of the OG boss bitches.

Kamala Khan. Seriously, I'm totally geeked for the Ms Marvel show next year.

Julie d'Aubigny. She lead the kind of swashbuckling existence that seems too cool to be real.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Quite a few. Rosalind Franklin, for her work on DNA. Marie Curie, for her scientific accomplishments.

As I am a Catholic, I suppose any female saint would qualify, especially Saint Joan of Arc.

A few others I would consider heroes in a limited sense of the word (heroic in once sense, non-heroic in another). I know I might get some flack from UK posters here for saying this, but I consider Margaret Thatcher's actions during the 1982 Falklands War to be heroic. Granted, this might be skewed by the fact that I know a few people from the islands (and another who works there as a contractor), but I think her actions were correct in that respect. Other choices of hers? Not so much.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
We should talk about Creola Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, the "Human Computers" that helped NASA win the Space Race.

But Something something Star Wars Forced Diversity Something.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I know I might get some flack from UK posters here for saying this, but I consider Margaret Thatcher's actions during the 1982 Falklands War to be heroic. Granted, this might be skewed by the fact that I know a few people from the islands (and another who works there as a contractor), but I think her actions were correct in that respect. Other choices of hers? Not so much.
Out of interest, which actions? I agree that sending the task force to retake the islands may have been the right move (bit risky, but paid off).

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Out of interest, which actions? I agree that sending the task force to retake the islands may have been the right move (bit risky, but paid off).
Committing to take back the islands. And sinking the Belgrano. Not only do I believe that this was a 100% legal action, it was tactically very smart. How much was Argentina able to muster in terms of seapower after the Belgrano went down? Also, showing the Junta that aggression against the UK doesn't pay. Granted, I would say it was a severe miscalculation to leave the islands underdefended and to support the Junta prior to the war. Again, decisions I wouldn't endorse.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Committing to take back the islands. And sinking the Belgrano...Also, showing the Junta that aggression against the UK doesn't pay.
That looks like only 2 actions there, but fair enough.

I do say that committing to take back the island is questionable, from a strategic, if not moral standpoint. A few more Exocets in the right/wrong places and things could have gone very differently.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
This is a matter of psychology in my opinion. I believe most men's female heroes are their own mothers.
There is some Jungian psychology I am only starting to go through in play here.