Do Men Have Women Heroes?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I do say that committing to take back the island is questionable, from a strategic, if not moral standpoint. A few more Exocets in the right/wrong places and things could have gone very differently.
I think that's true of a lot of wars. Not the part about the Exocets, obviously. Wars could very easily turn on a dime, and the side that won could easily have lost, and vice-versa. It was a risk, but I'm glad the risk paid off.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think that's true of a lot of wars. Not the part about the Exocets, obviously. Wars could very easily turn on a dime, and the side that won could easily have lost, and vice-versa. It was a risk, but I'm glad the risk paid off.
True.

Personally I find the Falklands to be very interesting, as about the last war a Western power was up against (in context) a near-peer opponent, and one where large infantry battles were decisive. The British and the Argentinians were even using variants of the same service rifle, the FN FAL.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
After reading this, it made me too wonder how our Escapist feel about this topic.

"Some men admitted they don't have women heroes because they see women as "antagonistic to men" or "less likely to do heroic things".

"Other people agreed that whether men admit it or not, they probably don't have women heroes.
Women role models just aren't held up with same reverence and respect as their male counterparts.
"

Then you have the people who think that only gay men have women heroes:

Do guys here think of women when asked the questions of :
"who do you most look up to and/or admire?"
"Who did you wish you could be like when you grew up?"
"who is your favorite Hero?'"
Or others, but you get the idea.
Do guys generally view women as people they look up to and emulate or ever think, "I wish I could be more like her"? As children do guys look at women as " I want to be like her when I grow up" or would that be weird? Women and girls have plenty of male heroes, but do men do the same thing to women in the same way?

Keep in mind Admiring a quality or a set of qualities doesn't mean you can't be critical of them for other things or see them as perfect. You can like something about them and dislike everything else as well.
Well, the guy in that Twitter post seems like a dbag in the first place, that his personality is likely written all over his smirky face.

Anyways, I’d be willing to bet many kids who’ve been raised well by single moms would consider them heroes. Or women in the armed forces. Or female superheroes, but that’s usually linked with sexual desirability.

Growing up though it’s natural to look up to people of the same sex as part of gender conforming. Most guys in college who lift weights had Arnold for an inspirational role model back in the day for example, and chics had whatever female fitness model was probably popular at the time.

One other point that might be relevant here is on the topic of humor, and why most men don’t find women “funny”. I remember reading it had some physiological reasoning in terms of males using humor to attract a mate and that they are instinctively attracted to beauty, so humor was more or less an irrelevant trait for females to have.

I tend to agree there, but one exception would be Melissa McCarthy. I’m sure the writing helps, but she goes all-in and it shows. The entirety of her performance in Spy always cracks me up.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anyways, I’d be willing to bet many kids who’ve been raised well by single moms would consider them heroes. Or women in the armed forces. Or female superheroes, but that’s usually linked with sexual desirability.
At what point for the male? When they are still kids? If so, then yes, at least initial interest, probably had a significant sexual component. I know from personal experience, that seeing the hot, scantily clad women on my brother's comic book covers, definitely got my attention more than a little dude like Puck in a cannonball.

As an adult though, I find the female superheroes I like, mostly due to concept and execution. Like I love Kamala Khan for being an Elevated Fangirl, which is something that I always find enjoyable. I don't find her sexually attractive though. Well, like I find her general physical features appealing, as I've always enjoyed dark skinned women, with striking eyes, and they tend to draw Kamala with darker eyeliner that makes her eyes pop very beautifully. Like the model of Kamala in the Avenger's game currently out, very beautiful. But the comic version? Eh, she's often drawn in her stretchy form, and that just doesn't do it for me. The fact that "she's hot" isn't what makes me enjoy her character. It's the idea that she's a random marvel fan, who, like many of her heroes, was just struck by random dumb luck, gifted with powers, and now she's in this position of power, and has to struggle with what she does with it.

One other point that might be relevant here is on the topic of humor, and why most men don’t find women “funny”. I remember reading it had some physiological reasoning in terms of males using humor to attract a mate and that they are instinctively attracted to beauty, so humor was more or less an irrelevant trait for females to have.
My issue with female comedians is that their material is often about shit talking men. And I don't find that terribly enjoyable, seeing as I'm a man. I've never been a big fan of the "let's shit on this other group" kind of humor, from any angle, and a lot of random standup routines that I see from female comedians, tend to be in this style of humor. I also don't like it from male comedians either. Like, Bill Burr, I can't stand him, because all he does is talk shit about people. He's the living embodiment of "old man yells at cloud" meme from the simpsons. Also, the majority of female comedians that seem to be popular are alums from SNL, and I've always hated SNL. Like, pretty much anyone from SNL, is comedy poison to me. All the dudes from the 90s, the mix of men/women from the 2000s to present day. Just, it's terrible humor that doesn't speak to me.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
True.

Personally I find the Falklands to be very interesting, as about the last war a Western power was up against (in context) a near-peer opponent, and one where large infantry battles were decisive. The British and the Argentinians were even using variants of the same service rifle, the FN FAL.
I have the good fortune to know someone who lived through the war on the civilian side of things. He's got a few interesting stories. Granted, he is extremely biased against Argentina (obviously).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yeah its never a good idea to actually look into someone's life. Like MLK, or Ghandi. Yikes. Good guys, politically, and historically important, but some of their bedroom activities. Yikes.
There is a reason why the phrase "never meet your heroes" is a thing.

Reactions: gorfias

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
I don't think it would be weird at all to look up to, or admire, a woman. That said, all of the people I admire happen to be male.

Since I want to be a writer, artist, and storyteller, I tend to admire people who make my favorite works of art. And all of my favorite works happen to have been made by men. This may be due to a disparity in the industry, though. Most film directors for instance, historically, have been male, so it's not surprising that I wouldn't have seen many films written and directed by women. I literally wasn't given the chance. But I can now list of multiple women directors that I hold in high esteem.

Literature is fortunate to have a much larger list of female writers and poets to draw from, so that's probably where most of the famous female artists I know of come from.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Definitely my heroes from real life.

Aretha Franklin
Anita Baker
Sade

My heroes from fictional stories.
Aya Brea
Blaze Fielding
Elena (SF III)
Linn Kurosawa (Alien vs Predator Capcom)
Claire Redfield
Sheva Alomar
Jill Valentine
Kylie Griffin
Lady (Mary)
Lucia (DMC2)
Xena
Alita/Gally
Bayonetta

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I will just post here to lament that no one has mentioned Jeanne de Pompadour yet. A woman born as a fishmonger's daughter in 18th century France, became the mistress of the King, Louis XV, and after he took a new mistress she remained a close friend to him and became responsible for his schedule. She was given a noble title for her valuable contributions as an aide and advisor to the king. For several years she was so trusted by the King that she basically ran day to day court business for him and she was notable for her contributions to the arts. I can not sufficiently describe just how impressive I find her.
When looking for heroes - male or female - most people are not going to bother with an aristocracy so legendarily decadent it’s people were dragged into the streets and executed.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
More women I admired.

Tsai Ing-wen

Agnes Chow

All the female actors in Black Panther, besides that idiotic CGI budget people who underfund the CG, it would be a 12/10 with the normal Avengers CGI instead it's an 11/10.

Samantha Bee

Every female comedian on the Daily Show past, and present

The current US ambassador to the UN

Somewhat Elizabeth Warren(Before she made batshit crazy political moves, and hey guess what, wheres her treasury secretary seat, more on that tomorrow)

NPR reporter Ayesha Rascoe

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Write me down as another who doesn't have any heroes. I think it comes down to the fact that for fictional heroes these days there is such an obsession with humanizing heroes that they just end up unlikable pricks. As for any potential "real life" heroes most of them just end up eventually being revealed to be a pedophile or something, and even those who don't tend to get vastly overshadowed by those who are. I'd say the odds are good that the latter is heavily feeding the former. I like to call it Heroic Jerkass Syndrome, it's hard to find any really worth rooting for anymore much less admiring. This is as true for female heroes as it is for male ones.