Do not waste your money on Dawnguard.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage - Story stinks, atmosphere, while different, is unappealing and has tons of magical 'you can not cross this line' areas.
Maybe that's because it's supposed to be a training simulation for soldiers. I honestly don't see why anyone would go into Operation Anchorage expecting some spectacular story and a lack of magic walls after learning that they're going to be doing a training simulation that was designed by the damned military.

Mr.-3

Mar 30, 2011
anybody who payed for it on the pc I laugh at you its just a bunch of mods they "borrowed" and added a story line.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I bought it and enjoyed it, probably because i'm a huge TES/Fallout fan, but you're right, the DLC was definitely was not up to TES/Fallout DLC standards, so i have high hopes for the next one, maybe it'll be like oblivion's DLC, first one really Meh, second one great.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Okay, I disagree with your opinion. Which is fine: everyone gets their own opinions.

What I don't understand is a complaint about the price... it's only twenty frickin' bucks.

I've spent more than that at fucking McDonald's when I was feeling stupid at 3am (and thought that eating like three burgers and a ten piece nuggets with fries and a drink was a good idea. Come on, we've all been there).

Seriously, $20 is an inconsequential amount of money, and it's not like I am particularly solvent. I work at a goddamn convenience store and am going to university. No, my parents aren't rich.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've still not completed Dawnguard and I feel it's been worth the price. People will decide what it's worth to them, you didn't feel that it was worth the price, others will be satisfied with their purchase. Everyone has their opinions and that's fine, but telling people to not bother buying it because of your opinion on it is pointless.

EDIT: So I just finished Dawnguard and I stand by my earlier comment about it being worth it's price. I got a good 10 to 13 hours out of it, it adds some beautiful new locations, I liked the new armour and weapons it added, especially the crossbow. The questline is good and has some fun battles and it add some interesting new characters, the best of them being Serana. If you really want to know why Serana is great then you just need to look at NinjaDeathSlap's comment:

NinjaDeathSlap said:
In my opinion it's worth it solely because Bethesda actually managed to make a character that is more than just a quest/reward dispenser, but rather a three-dimensional personality with her own distinct back-story who faces challenges that you can both understand and care about.
All in all, I'm perfectly happy with the price I paid for it.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Elate said:
Jaeke said:
Elate said:
I was expecting maybe a $10-15 expansion, around £5-7, they want double that?
What's that, is that a maybe? Oh shit son I think it is. Is that also $10 in there? Are you just ignoring half of what I said? Oh my I think you are. Stop making straw man arguments and picking at semantics. The current rate is roughly 1 pound = 1.5 dollar, which roughly means £7 to $10 (closer to $11 but I wasn't using the conversions off the top of my head.) Again, strawmen everywhere!

Right, what are you talking about walking through crap, I'm talking about using the same content as they used in the main game with maybe a new lick of texture paint (Considerably less work than new models), for the dungeons. Which has nothing to do with walking through to get back to quests.

And yes, but look how badly knights of the nine was received. And it does matter if I'm on PC, hence why PC games and console games, shock.. HORROR, ARE PRICED DIFFERENTLY. OH THE HUMANITY, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

Just to use an example:
Sleeping dogs, on GAME (Since everyone knows the beauty of steam sales.)

Xbox 360 limited edition preorder - £37.99, that's around, nearly, not exactly but close to $60

PC limited edition preorder - £24.99, that's around, nearly, not exactly but close to $40

That's a pretty huge gap, I would be willing to theorize that the original Oblivion DLCs were also priced in a similar fashion, i.e being cheaper on PC.
I'm done arguing 1st grade math.
Who the hell are you calling out a straw arguement and saying I'm arguing semantics?! You have done NOTHING but repeat the same thing 3 posts in a row. And half of your damn post is about math conversions!

What the hell are you talking about with repeated content? I wasn't aware that a completely different model with completely different animations was just a new texture paint, I didn't know that two new perk trees, a different quest area, two new factions, 20 hours (which is about almost 3 times longer than any FPS, and as long as any Assassin's Creed and twice as long as action games like God of War or Uncharted), was called known as "recycled content".

AGAIN, consoles are willing to pay more and the Developer doesn't care, they'll charge what people will pay for.
Sleeping Dogs... different developer, different genre, different GAME (which is not the same as a DLC). No shit the price is different.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I personally think Dawnguard is worth the price, out of all the DLC for Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas the only DLC that gave my anywhere near as much playtime was Old World Blues for New Vegas.

I got a good 13 hours out of Dawnguard, which is FAR more then I can say for the 4-6 hour DLCs that Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas had, sans OWB.

Whats even better is that the older games DLC was 15 dollars for 6 hours, this is 20 dollars for 13 hours, 5 dollars more for TWICE the playtime?

If Dawnguard isn't worth it, then neither was ANY DLC made for any of the past games.

*note* I wasn't counting SI because SI was an expansion pack.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
You're a little late with this message bro. A month after release? Everyone and their mother has this. Anyway, I liked DawnGuard. I thought it was worth the money. It was decently long, the story wasn't amazing but oh well. I was disappointed that you are forced to stop the sun block thing no matter what. However, CROSSBOWS!

woodaba

May 31, 2011
ServebotFrank said:
You're a little late with this message bro. A month after release? Everyone and their mother has this. Anyway, I liked DawnGuard. I thought it was worth the money. It was decently long, the story wasn't amazing but oh well. I was disappointed that you are forced to stop the sun block thing no matter what. However, CROSSBOWS!
Well, it's only just come out on PC.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Fappy said:
Meh, I thought it was worth the price tag for fans of the franchise.
I don't really buy that, fans of the franchise don't like getting buttfucked pricewise

imahobbit4062 said:
woodaba said:
imahobbit4062 said:
woodaba said:
imahobbit4062 said:
woodaba said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
I'll do as I damn well please with my threads.

I don't get why people make these kinds of replies, you may think you're acting smart, but you just come across as a raging fanboy getting angry when people express their opinions.
I don't think I'm acting smart, I think I'm telling someone what I can and can't do with my money and that he, nor anyone else should tell other people what they can and can't spend their money on.

Want to express your opinion? Try making the thread title sound more like an expression than a statement. "I don't think you should spend your money on Dawnguard" or "Why I feel ripped off from Dawnguard" not "Do not waste your money on Dawnguard". It sounds more inviting if you don't come across stating your opinion as fact.
I have repeatedly made it very, very clear that I have an intense dislike for the Internet's recent demand to put "IMO" at the end of everything. I would think that people realize that what I am saying is nothing more than an opinion. If you are unintelligent or inexperienced enough that you are unable to understand as opinion when you see one without me spelling it out for you, then that's not my problem.
As you can see, I joined this site long before you did, inexperience or lack of intellect. You can easily tell someone your personal faults without having to put IMO at the start of every sentence, you just come across as dickish about the entire thing and dickish in general.
Please quote where, in the OP, I sound "dickish" to you. I did not mean to come across that way, I merely wished to ward people away from what I thought was a lackluster piece of DLC, considering the price. At no stage did I attempt to act like a dick.

What does joining the site before me have anything to do with anything?

This is starting to sound like less of a genuine greivance with the perceived presentation of my opinion as fact, and more a Skyrim fanboy desperately trying to discredit an opinion that is less than positive towards it. I by no means think you are this person, 'm just letting you know that it's how you are coming across.
I can't be arsed sifting through a quoting specific examples, you in general just come across as dickish.

Joining before you means it is not a lack if experience, which I seemed to of not typed, my apologies there.

I don't care that you don't like Dawnguard, as I stated with my original post. It's that you don't have the right to tell people what they can or cannot buy with their money. I would of said the same thing if you made a thread about a game I don't like, the fact that it's Skyrim has nothing to do with it.
Actually, what he's doing is advising people to think twice and giving advice to people who may have considered buying the DLC. He's helping and contributing to the community. He explained his reasons and still left it to our choice. He did it right.

Also, you'll come to learn that being on here longer doesn't really mean much. Contribution is what is meaningful over here, that's what gets you recognised on these forums (for instance, Daystar Clarion posts in pretty much every thread I read, so now I tend to recognise his/her posts)

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
OT: Yeah the price was way more than I was willing to pay for what it looked like it contained. Hoping it goes on sale for like 66% off some time during the quakecon sale. Otherwise I probably won't be playing it.

imahobbit4062 said:
Want to express your opinion? Try making the thread title sound more like an expression than a statement. "I don't think you should spend your money on Dawnguard" or "Why I feel ripped off from Dawnguard" not "Do not waste your money on Dawnguard". It sounds more inviting if you don't come across stating your opinion as fact.
Writing 101 is always state your opinion as fact; which you would have presumably learned if you went to a college/university/high school with good English teachers. Everyone knows what you're writing is an opinion, so wasting time constantly adding 'in my opinion' and 'from my point of view' is redundant and adds nothing except extra words to read telling you what you should already know. And if you get offended that easily, then buckle up: because life is going to be really hard to cope with.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Well, there's another company getting away with that new age policy of shortening content and increasing prices. When Activision upped their COD map pack prices I thought no one would go along with it. Now it's fairly standard and Bethesda wants a piece of it.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Personally I'll be waiting for sale time to roll around on Steam, Dawnguard looks OK but not £14 OK, I could buy several awesome indie titles for that much.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I'm going to do what I did for Oblivion: wait for a GOTY DLC Bundle that includes every piece of prior DLC. Money will be saved and a good will be had by all.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I got a lot of playtime out of Dawnguard and I'm not even done with it., it was well worth the price tag. I noted they were using new visuals as much if not more than incorperating already existing ones. Particularly the rather large region of forgotten vale.
I have no clue what your problem is.

I mean this: "A significant chunk of Sky rim's content is spent in the same cookie-cutter dungeons you were bored of months ago." This is just wrong. They don't look the same (typically that's subtle for caves and such, but given your use of "cookie-cutter" the fact they have new layouts even for pathways, I don't need to even mention the new architectures) and they do not play the same as those dungeons. I mean just the entrance alone to Darkfall Cave gives something new, and scary if spiders are not your thing.

I am also confused as to your not knowing what the Dawnguard and vampire factions are about, since that's given away in every single advertisement.

If you really don't think it's worth it, fine, no reason to go out preaching.
47_Ronin said:
Well, there's another company getting away with that new age policy of shortening content and increasing prices. When Activision upped their COD map pack prices I thought no one would go along with it. Now it's fairly standard and Bethesda wants a piece of it.
This is bigger than other DLCs of it's type and not disproportionately expensive.
So could you please elaborate on what you mean?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I get your point it is pretty pricey, Personally I won't get it for that reason but I still get why others would want it (and consider it).

KnightDragul

Sep 11, 2011
I'm a long time Bethesda fan = Morrowind, Oblivion + bunch of other titles.

But simply put they designed Skyrim for the casual action adventure gamer, Not the RPG gamers who were the fan base of Morrowind and Oblivion.

Casual is as casual does. They created a game that you can pick up and put down at any point and has no learning curve.... Sad really given their acclaimed history. Games like that don't keep you in your seat enraptured by the storylines.

My personal hope is by the next TES I have a high grade pc so I can get it and take advantage of the moding communities passion and genius, they're the indie game devs of the future. I think we'll see Bethesda slip towards EA territory in the next 5-10 years. Such a shame.