Do not waste your money on Dawnguard.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
woodaba said:
Please quote where, in the OP, I sound "dickish" to you. I did not mean to come across that way, I merely wished to ward people away from what I thought was a lackluster piece of DLC, considering the price. At no stage did I attempt to act like a dick.

What does joining the site before me have anything to do with anything?
Just letting you know that you didn't sound dickish and the article was obviously an opinion piece and the title is simply meant to grab attention. Also the time you joined the site has absolutely no merit in a discussion like this, can't believe he'd pull that.

OP: I agree with you, I never even went back to play the vampire side of the quests, it just felt like more missions I'd already vaguely played throughout vanilla Skyrim that I'd missed and was coming back to. Just boring and old to me. Also when the bad guy died at the end of my playthrough, he disappeared instead of having a death animation and I had to spend 3 days waiting for the other characters to stop trying to fight him, so I never even got to hear the ending dialogue.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
TheDrunkNinja said:
Been playing it all day since I bought it off Steam, and I feel I need to disagree on this.

As far as I've played, it has been extremely worthwhile since its purchase.
Quick question from a Xbox owner, why not find some mods instead of buying the dlc? Never understood why the PC players were bitching about not getting the Dawnguard on time when they can get more free content through mods.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
When Dawnguard was first announced, I was pretty excited for it despite vampires being perhaps the least interesting thing that Skyrim has to offer, if you ask me, and my prevailing belief that crossbows are for sissies. But then I arrived at the conclusion that Skyrim is not nearly as great as I originally thought it was and Oblivion is its superior is almost every way. Added to Bethesda's past comments on getting the DLC out for the other platforms and all the other ways that they've especially screwed over PS3 owners and me in particular (I've never gotten over how my first character, close to level 50, was deleted in an autosave hiccup when I tried to create a new character), the likelihood that I will ever buy Dawnguard has diminished to the realm of never.

Before all that happened I felt
about the price point, though that in itself wouldn't have stopped me from buying it altogether. Nevertheless I agree with everything the OP has said on the matter and I believe that I would have realized upgraded vampires, werewolves and some sissy crossbows simply don't justify the spending of $20. And from what I've heard about the new quest line, it sounds far too much akin to the Civil War quests in the main game, which I abhorred.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
TheOneBearded said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Been playing it all day since I bought it off Steam, and I feel I need to disagree on this.

Quick question from a Xbox owner, why not find some mods instead of buying the dlc? Never understood why the PC players were bitching about not getting the Dawnguard on time when they can get more free content through mods.
I have mods. I have tons of mods all running at the same time.

..... And now I have Dawnguard.

As in, in addition. Why would I choose one over the other when I can have both?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i thought it was worth the money, but definately didnt come close to SI level of amazing, its more like KotN but much much better

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I forgot Dawnguard even existed. I mean, I bought it, but I stopped playing almost immediately when vampires started killing off all the NPCs. I decided I'd wait for a patch. Then I stopped paying attention. (I'm assuming it hasn't yet been patched).

Either they'll patch it and I'll play it, or they won't and I won't.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
TheDrunkNinja said:
TheOneBearded said:
TheDrunkNinja said:

I have mods. I have tons of mods all running at the same time.

..... And now I have Dawnguard.

As in, in addition. Why would I choose one over the other when I can have both?
True that, but one is free and can offer a shitton of goodies while the other costs 20 bucks and has adequate content.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
TheOneBearded said:
True that, but one is free and can offer a shitton of goodies while the other costs 20 bucks and has adequate content.
Hmmm... Yes... well, if I had to choose, of course I would keep my infinite possibilities with the mods over one bit of DLC. However, there are very few single mods that can replicate the shear amount of content that one DLC package can provide.

Hell, if you want to get technical, now that Dawnguard is out, the new use of that content will enable even more mods to come out that would require having the DLC installed before being able to use the mods. It happened like that with Oblivion. You don't know how many times I read "Requires Shivering Isles" on the mod sites before I finally caved in and bought it. So, essentially, I need both in order to have one.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I'll wait until christmas steam sale. I still havent beat skyrim proper, and im sure there are free mods out there. Its funny how dlc is much less content than standard expansions, yet the price is creeping up to what expansions used to be sold for

ilexuki

Apr 14, 2012
20 hours? how? you leave the game on for 15 hours then start playing? i'd say maybe 10 hours. i blew through it in about5 hours on my first character, but it took much longer on my second due to not having done the main story and the dlc requiring you to obtain a certain scroll that isn't even used.

what i did find really disappointing is the game is almost exactly the same regardless if you choose the vamps or the dawnguard. the crossbow is fun to use, but at this point i one hit kill with bows anyway, so it's purely aesthetic.

there is really only 2 completely new areas utilizing new assets, but they are pretty much empty and have nothing going on in them. the werewolf overhaul is cool but... well it's useless in the dlc, since you fight mostly undead you are unable to heal yourself, and just about all the vamps use magic making quick work of you.vampire lord is fun, but underpowered, group of enemies can kill you easily.

i don't think it's worth 20 dollars(there are mods on the nexus with better content for free), nor would i consider it an "expansion" in the traditional sense, but i did get it, and i did have fun playing through it, so it's up to you whether you can wait a few more months and get it cheaper,or not.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Gethsemani said:
Steam informed that "Dawnguard [is] now available" so like the sucker I am I went to Skyrims store page and prepared to whip out my credit card... Then I see it: 19.99 euro for Dawnguard? They want me to pay five euros more for a fairly short DLC then I did for Orcs Must Die 2? They want me to pay the price of 2 meaty New Vegas DLC for that?

Gethsemani made a stand, said "No way!" and booted up Orcs Must Die 2 instead, because she wants value for her money.
Wasn't it originally meant to be 15?

Cole: oh shit!

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
I suckered into buying it the moment it got released.

But yeah, I agree. Wait for a price drop.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
woodaba said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
I'll do as I damn well please with my threads.

I don't get why people make these kinds of replies, you may think you're acting smart, but you just come across as a raging fanboy getting angry when people express their opinions.
I don't think I'm acting smart, I think I'm telling someone what I can and can't do with my money and that he, nor anyone else should tell other people what they can and can't spend their money on.

Want to express your opinion? Try making the thread title sound more like an expression than a statement. "I don't think you should spend your money on Dawnguard" or "Why I feel ripped off from Dawnguard" not "Do not waste your money on Dawnguard". It sounds more inviting if you don't come across stating your opinion as fact.
Not really, he is just giving a review ( albeit a rather abrupt and one sided review, imagine that on the site with Yahtzee) on a particular piece of DLC, and you know what? He didn't like it, so he is trying to tell us "Do not bother" And he has every right to do that, you have the right to take or leave is advice.... Same as he does to give it.

DaemonicShadow

Dec 14, 2010
I got it for fourteen quid and it was well worth it as far as I'm concerned. I like to think of it as Skyrim's Knights of the Nine, which was also a good expansion despite not adding a whole new area to the game world.

As I see it (this being the perspective of a Bethesda fanboy, mind you) it was easily worth 1600 MP and hey, it can't be any worse than Mothership Zeta, right?

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I'm not sure how much you have played Skyrim, but the upgraded crossbow is a beast. To say that it is just a lesser bow sounds ridiculous to me. Also, I didn't find it hard at all to choose between the two, and the later choices were good too.

Overall, it did add a lot to the game by just adding vampire and werewolf perks, and the story was a long enough to keep me engaged for hours. I honestly don't understand why some people are so negative about things like this (especially when it's only $20 for content that will affect pretty much everything else in the game).

mrnightwing

Mar 19, 2012
Well Bethesda did charge ten dollars for horse armor (initially). so The initial price for dawnguard isn't to surprising.

The Scotsman72

Aug 8, 2012
I bought it just because I was slightly intregued by it and could easily afford it. I found it had a good amount of content, but it still had a few problems such as the fact that the new areas it provided looked nice, but I really had no reason to go back to them after I was done with the main quest line, so the only thing I really ended up with by the end of the dlc was a crossbow, some new armor and a new companion, by which I could have gotten something similar by downloading some mods instead.

In short, you should probably only buy it if you have some money to burn or you're a hardcore Skyrim fan. Otherwise, it would be best just to try some new quest mods instead.