Do not waste your money on Dawnguard.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
While I do think the price is a bit steep, I still bought it because IREALLY had a story for my character that needed Dawnguard. (He is enticed by the power and then must decide if the power is changing him to be a bad guy). But then I met one of the characters and fell in love with the DLC because Bethesda FINALLY figured out the first rule of storytelling. Make me care. VERY minor spoilers from the first quest below.

Serana is interesting and I want to know more. I want to help her. ONLY character in a Bethesda game I have ever given a damned about.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
I'll still buy it, I like Bethesda, if you gotta worry about the price chances are good you can't afford it anyways so save save save.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
It was totally worth the price to me. My brother bought it. I didnt have to pay a cent!

But seriously, Dawnguard is definately enjoyable. Whether or not it is worth the price relies soley on how much you enjoyed the main game itself. It provides new content without straying drastically from the main game's formula. Some people dont like that. Others do.

The worth is what you make of it.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Michael Kimball said:
I joined the forum just today specifically for the "imahobbit4062" comments. Is he really that thick? "I'm tired of these threads. I'll do what I want with my money." Apparently this guy (or gal) is entitled enough to think you were specifically talking STRIGHT TO THEM. *shakes his head* ANYTHING seen in a forum like this should be taken as opinion. It's just the inherent nature of forums! Get off your high horse dude, and if you see a thread that you're obviously not gonna like.... DON'T READ IT!

Woodaba, Thank you! I'm a fan of Skyrim, but on a budget. So I've been debating about getting dawnguard when it comes out for PC. People like me depend on threads like this in order to use their money wisely. Regardless of whether or not I'll like Dawnguard more, less, or equally so as you do, thank you for posting your critique of it. I'll be using your info, along with others that I read, to make an informed choice about where to put my money.

(Also... at no point, even in the title, do you sound dickish. How can someone even read a title and think "yea, this guy is a dick," unless the title literally says, "Hahaha! I'm better than you!")
Welcome to the escapist! And yeah I agree with your comments. You seem to be taking it as a review which I think was how he intended it to be taken rather than as a command to the masses. (Also just an FYI if you hit the quote button the person gets a notification so if you wanted imahobbit4062 to see your response quoting would help. Not that it is mandatory as little of your comment was aimed at him so much as the OP)

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
Ok, I've got to disagree with you here. I felt that Dead Money was not only the best DLC of New Vegas, but the best DLC of any Bethesda game, ever.

What you call "arbitrary, time-consuming tasks", I call "unique gameplay mechanics". Having to make the decision whether to weaken yourself with the smoke or to take the long way around, the little games of "find the speaker", and the fact that my Bloody Mess perk finally came in handy made me so happy. The only downside here is that they give you too much money and too many weapons. The game was tense and exciting in a way that vanilla Fallout wasn't--I had to fight for every stimpack, and since my character sucked with melee weapons, Hollow Men were actually a threat... right up until I got the "collect 500 chips" achievement and started spending money on stimpacks and things. Then, yeah, it started to get a bit sloggy.

I absolutely LOVED Christine, and Dean Domino was fun. Christine's tragic backstory, her implied relationship with my favorite vanilla companion, Veronica, was a brilliant touch, and her connection to Old World Blues was nice, too. I enjoyed the conversation skill-checks, enjoyed her story, and just enjoyed her. And like I said, Dean Domino was a lot of fun. God was one of those annoying jerks who tries so hard to be "hardcore" and just isn't, and Dog was so pathetic I didn't even let him out of his cage, but the other two were just great to be around.

And as for the loot, friggin Gold Bars. Sell 'em to the MCP at the Sink. 'Nuff said.

For me, the worst was Honest Hearts. I guess it was because I was playing a sciency-science character who used energy weapons and wore Power Armor, but I marched through Zion clad in impenetrable armor and wielding Space-age lasers against people with spears and handguns. It was an impressive sight, but the final mission was buggy, and it's just not satisfying to beat a Dead Horse, you know?

Maybe it's because many of its elements were used for one of the most memorable sequences in the absolutely stellar Fallout: Equestria series; maybe it's because I was riding the high of Ocean's Eleven; maybe it's just because the main storyline is such crap by comparison, but even after playing OWB (the second-best DLC for NV), I thought and still think it was the best DLC out of all of them.

OT: Twenty dollars??? Are you JOKING??? I guess I'll wait for GOTY and get ALL the ponymods...

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Knight Templar said:
47_Ronin said:
So your rambling posts actually have almost nothing to do with the topic at hand, and are just you bemoaning that 10, 15 or 20 years ago video games where cheaper, and you don't understand what changed, but blame greed and young people?

See I was under the impression you were comparing the price and content of dawnguard to similar DLC for similar games (ya' know the reasonable thing to do. We don't compare it to a movie ticket because although that shines favorably on dawnguard, it's also not valid), not to some vague standard of value you have yet to define.

At least now I know why your posts didn't seem very connected to the topic at hand. Sorry for the confusion.
Was this topic not about a DLC that is too pricey for its extend and did I not criticize exactly that in my initial post? If there was some deviation from the topic then surely because you asked me to explain myself. Also, did I not compare Skyrims DLC to recent and older games? Did I not therefore mention Fallout for example?

Well my friend, I'm sensing a level of antagonism that goes beyond a reasonable tone of discussion; I had my share of forum brawls, so I'll leave it here. Have a nice live.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
Deathmageddon said:
Nothing was advertised that Dawnguard didn't deliver. Any real Skyrim fan will be more than satisfied.
And no true Scotsman would support England.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Michael Kimball said:
I joined the forum just today specifically for the "imahobbit4062" comments. Is he really that thick? "I'm tired of these threads. I'll do what I want with my money." Apparently this guy (or gal) is entitled enough to think you were specifically talking STRIGHT TO THEM. *shakes his head* ANYTHING seen in a forum like this should be taken as opinion. It's just the inherent nature of forums! Get off your high horse dude, and if you see a thread that you're obviously not gonna like.... DON'T READ IT!

Woodaba, Thank you! I'm a fan of Skyrim, but on a budget. So I've been debating about getting dawnguard when it comes out for PC. People like me depend on threads like this in order to use their money wisely. Regardless of whether or not I'll like Dawnguard more, less, or equally so as you do, thank you for posting your critique of it. I'll be using your info, along with others that I read, to make an informed choice about where to put my money.

(Also... at no point, even in the title, do you sound dickish. How can someone even read a title and think "yea, this guy is a dick," unless the title literally says, "Hahaha! I'm better than you!")
You say you joined today, but your Join Date says "April 22nd, 2012"....

On Topic: I was going to wait until they did a proper expansion. I'm sure parts of it are fun and all, but I'm tired of the same dungeon crawler stuff over and over again.

MedicineKnowledge

Aug 4, 2012
I bought it RIGHT when it came out on June 26th. I couldn't wait. I saw it was $20.00 (was expecting $10) but didn't care since I was waiting FOREVER for Skyrim to come out with DLC. I expected new lands and what not, but eh, I didn't mind. Sad thing is, I still haven't really even played it since I bought the DLC. I should catch up on it =)

Anyway, $20 isn't much so I didn't mind that it wasn't a whole new area, no biggy.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I actually thought it was worth it.

I like the new additions, especially the crossbow.

Crossbows stagger enemies like a boss :D
Stole my words.
Yes, there aren't a ton of new areas, or enemies, to perhaps warrant that much of a cost, but crossbows.
Crossbows.
They really are the coolest fucking things ever.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
woodaba said:
Look, I'm buckling up for a massive backlash here, but I feel this is something that needs to be said.
hahaha you're going to have to do more than buckling up mate you going to have to barren down the hatches, set up traps and block all doors and windows cause you're going to be hit by a shitstorm.

Retal19

Dec 5, 2010
I liked it, and thought it was worth the price. It only cost me about a tenner and I had enough left over to pick up a few little things afterwards on the XBL Market. I found the Crossbow a worthy addition. It outstrips my Legendary Enchanted Daedric Bow actually, which surprised me quite a bit. And Armoured Attack Huskies. I fell in love with those. But I love Dogs, and spent about ten minutes squeeing and clapping my hands when I saw them, so that point's probably moot for everyone else. =\

As for the choice thing, I liked the way I was given no information, as it helped me build my character's story a little more as they blindly made a gut instinct, and either felt great betrayal and rejection, or relief and satisfaction. But I make up little stories as I go along for all my characters. I'm crazy like that.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I haven't bothered with it.

I was excited for it a bit back but a friend got it and showed me and it felt like it was lacking.

Plus I mod anyway so I really don't like paying for content when I can make my own for free.

If it drops down in price maybe but I don't buy DLC as it is so Dawnguard at that price is not getting a look.

Plus i'm far too busy with Secret World.

Emilox The Great

May 26, 2010
Well, first off i would like to thank you for sharing your opinion regarding the dawnguard dlc.

But you do seem kinda mean judging by some of the posts you have made here in this thread, so please tone it down a bit, and i agree with the hobbit dude, your thread title does give off a "I am right" vibe.

Please dont hurt me.

Emilox The Great

May 26, 2010
In Search of Username said:
I didn't waste my money on Skyrim in the first place, so I couldn't get Dawnguard if I wanted it. :p
Why are you even posting in this thread then?

Seems highly illogical.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
I Disagree Got Dawnguard yesterday and like it...it has its bad points but nothing is perfect. the only thing i really hate it for is wiping 90% of my save files...it missed the important character tho so I'm not as annoyed as i probably should be. The other downfall is its short storyline...as mentioned its really short.

Other then that tho the game is pretty fun: Vampire lord is op and not really annoying to switch back and forth from, crossbow is a nice addition, Serenna is amusing and a great companion and just being able to make your own arrows is great

All in all its not bad

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
woodaba said:
Where do you live? Knights of the Nine was never full retail where I am. Hell, you can get it for 800 MSP of Xbox LIVE!
I live in Western Australia, the land of shitty prices. The retail copy of knights of the nine when it came out was $40 over here.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
I'm currently playing through w/a player made vampire overhaul mod anyhow (bela sanguinare revisited - dynamic vampires), so want to avoid the expansion till i'm done w/this play through. Hopefully by that time this expansion will be cheaper or bundled w/others. I might pick it up earlier if it gets some really nice steam sale applied to it, however. I have no problem w/waiting, just gives me a reason to replay it yet again later.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I like it so far. It is an awful lot of money for what it is, but I actually like that it adds new functionality to the existing game rather than having a separate area where you go to get your cheesetastic DLC loot before heading back to the main game area to kill everyone with it.

Lycanthropy is now worth doing without being gamebreaking. The vampire lord thing looks kind of insanely powerful on paper but I haven't tried it yet. Crossbows are relatively balanced with bows but work differently enough so as to require a different playstyle (I personally find them much easier to use and considerably less annoying when a sabrecat is trying to maul you to death). The new armours and weapons fit in with the level you can get them rather than being replacements for endgame content, and are generally aesthetically pleasing enough to make good roleplaying fodder. Dragonbone weapons were very much needed.

All in all, it's nice. Probably not worth the price they're currently charging for it, but I really wanted to use a crossbow and doing so is pretty awesome. So yeah, I'm happy. Whether or not you are will depend on what you were looking for.