Do not waste your money on Dawnguard.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
woodaba said:
Dawnguard has about as much content in it as one of Fallout 3's downloadable content pieces.
Alright dude, maybe it's just me but that's where you lost me. As I remember each new piece of DLC for Fallout 3, with the exception of Operation Anchorage which sucked, either added a metric fuckton of content to the base game like new loot, characters, locales, questlines, etc. I mean hell, Broken Steel even brought a couple of new endings! Some even took place in locations completely separated from the Capital Wasteland and then added a metric fuckton of content. That's when your argument kinda falls apart for me but I don't know maybe that's just my inner Bethesda Fanboy talking... No offence though.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
I can't be arsed sifting through a quoting specific examples, you in general just come across as dickish.

Joining before you means it is not a lack if experience, which I seemed to of not typed, my apologies there.

I don't care that you don't like Dawnguard, as I stated with my original post. It's that you don't have the right to tell people what they can or cannot buy with their money. I would of said the same thing if you made a thread about a game I don't like, the fact that it's Skyrim has nothing to do with it.
You know I almost stay exclusively in the R&P section and as such I'm no stranger to seeing people argue with each other, but seriously?

Just relax and be the goat. There are plenty of things to argue over, but this isn't one of them.
:)

OP:Well lets hope that the next DLC is better than this. :/

Mypetmonkey said:
We are talking about the same series that gave us the ultimate DLC in Horse Armour here aren't we?

Where exactly is the surprise?
Good point.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
I bought the DLC and I don't regret it. If you want to whine about overpriced DLC Mass Effect 2 may be a better choice.

ErinRedbird

Aug 9, 2012
I got the DLC almost as soon as it was released and don't regret it. I like the story and LOVE the crossbows.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
ShotgunZombie said:
woodaba said:
Dawnguard has about as much content in it as one of Fallout 3's downloadable content pieces.
Alright dude, maybe it's just me but that's where you lost me. As I remember each new piece of DLC for Fallout 3, with the exception of Operation Anchorage which sucked, either added a metric fuckton of content to the base game like new loot, characters, locales, questlines, etc. I mean hell, Broken Steel even brought a couple of new endings! Some even took place in locations completely separated from the Capital Wasteland and then added a metric fuckton of content. That's when your argument kinda falls apart for me but I don't know maybe that's just my inner Bethesda Fanboy talking... No offence though.
When you put it that way... Dawnguard has LESS content than Fallout 3's dlcs. For double the price!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I dunno - Dawnguard seems fine, my main gripe is that the Vampire Lord form controls like shit. It's basically a clunkier, micromanagement-based take on the Werewolf form, and for someone who only shifts in third person to ogle his character every once in a while, being forced to play in that perspective for any serious length of time is a bit jarring.

Otherwise? No problems with it. I'd precise that the crossbow is utterly worthless if and only if you haven't put some points into Archery. Get the first four or five perks - especially Eagle Eye and Steady Hands - and then it becomes manageable. Prior to that, it's just a slower, more tedious take on a bow. It's also a nice ranged alternative for someone who's not completely concerned with maintaining a stealthy approach. The solid "K-THUNK!" of bolts being fired seems to seriously undermine my admittedly low Sneak stat.

Feb 24, 2011
seriously am I the only one who does not care about skyrim anymore?
you can say what you want about the exploration but you have to agree after a while it becomes very repetitive (and i'm not even talking about dungeons because i got sick of them after my fifth dungeon). the combat was very poor , and boring (i could fight my way trough without needing healing).
also , the quests in the game were just awful. The only interesting quests were the guild quests and some parts of the main quest, there was no use in doing any of the side quests because they were always the same.
and also (and this applies to all bethesda games) it was just to buggy to actually play.
if i buy a game at full retail price i am entitled to a WORKING game.
however what i got was purple textures and crashes.
and the counter argument of: "download mods to fix it" or "wait for bug fixes" do not hold water for me.
if i buy a game at full retail price i am entitled to a game that i can play right now , not in a few weeks.
as for dawnguard, i would've bought it if it had new , interesting locations or a decent story.
apparently i am getting neither

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
It's that you don't have the right to tell people what they can or cannot buy with their money.
The OP did not tell anyone what they can or cannot buy, all the OP did was offer an opinion about Dawn Guards value for money.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
woodaba said:
I don't know...I just never found a use for the Crossbow. Maybe it gets better if you do those really repetitive quests for the woman in Fort Dawnguard, but I burned out on those after I got the fire bolts. "What's that? You want me to go get an identical schematic from an Identical dungeon? For the 4th time in a row? Fuck off."
What's interesting is that that's what I liked about it, having loads of radiant quests to do that felt more interesting because you get rewards you will definitely want assuming you like crossbows. Sure, they are all fetch quests, but Skyrim fetch quests are more like go-to-this-awesome-dungeon-you've-not-ben-to-yet-and-clear-it quests, which is exactly what I'd be doing anyway.

I also don't care about the choice not meaning much. Bethesda have never been good at Bioware style meaningful plot changing choices mainly done via diologue. The choices you make in Bethesda games are what quests you choose to do, and which groups of people you murder. I think choosing whether to help the townspeople with their problems, or murder them all is a much more sophisticated choice, if the game doesn't give you two options and have you pick one, completely outside of normal gameplay. I'd rather have the option to do either, but never have generic NPC 145 walk up to me and say "Do you want to help people or become a sociopathic killer" right at the start of the game.

And as for the extra places being inserted into the existing world, I really liked the new dungeons and the
soul cairn
was possibly the most fun I've ever had in the game.
My necromancer loved soul trapping all the skeletons and learning to summon true undead, and my righteous crusader of crossbow based awesome loved putting down the evil scourge.

This was made all the more fun by not having to lock myself into one path beforehand.

giggetygooo

Dec 1, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
woodaba said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
I'll do as I damn well please with my threads.

I don't get why people make these kinds of replies, you may think you're acting smart, but you just come across as a raging fanboy getting angry when people express their opinions

BURN! giggle

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
I'm not disagreeing, but I would like to point this out:

Fallout 3 was made by the same people as Skyrim. Bethesda.

So I believe that, in short, it can sum up to this: No duh? Of course they're going to have similar "expansions", considering that they were made by the same company. Me, I don't really have any interest in Dawnguard except for two things:

1) I get to kill more vampires. I hate vampires.

2) I get a crossbow. I love crossbows.

Other than that, yeah...no interest. I'll just settle for my Steam Workshop files that I find that add on more dungeons. :D

mammothbroncho

Jun 29, 2012
I thought Dawnguard was well worth the twenty dollars. It wasnt like they were making me pay for 20 dollars for 1 hour of gameplay (it was more like 6 hours) the crossbows are awesome and the characters are interesting. also I have this

EDIT: the picture thingy doesnt work so just look up arvak on google images (look for the skeleton horse on fire0

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Well, too late to warn me off.

But, I have to say, the warning would have been in vain anyway.
I've already completed the vampire side of the story and am working my way through the dawnguard half.

Here's what I DO know about the DLC as far as subjectivity goes:

- Companion A.I. was broken somehow. Companions you hire who are NOT Serena somehow managed to get clunkier and even MORE braindead. The armored war trolls you can get through the dawnguard constantly get stuck on terrain, or just stand around like a moron while you get your ass ganked by 3 vampires 10 feet away. A trait common to ALL A.I. partners that dawnguard seems to have broken is their pathfinding. My god, you can jog from one of of a dungeon to the other and they'll move so slowly that by the time you finish dispatching the end boss and having quaffed all your potions as a result, the A.I. STILL hasn't shown up to help. What's the point of a companion if they can't KEEP UP?

- Crossbows offer balanced and mechanically sound alternative to bows. Although it's a little too easy to make a bee-line straight for the Enhanced Dwemer crossbow. Still, you end up with a ranged weapon that can fire elementally charged bolts and ignore 50% of an enemies armor at the expense of maneuverability (You are forced to slow down while your character reloads after every shot)

- Vampire lord form is OP. I don't understand some people here saying it's UNDER powered. The form is total cheese, especially once you upgrade the blood chalice and get a few of those rings/amulets of blood power. To be fair, almost all of the abilities of the Vampire Lord form scale off your destruction and alteration stats, so if you were a melee focused person you'll be a bit gimped in VL form. Otherwise, you basically have a spammable AoE nuke spell that refills your life, mana and stamina by draining it from anyone caught in the blast, a short range teleport, nightvision, an invulnerability form, the ability to summon one to two gargoyles at once (if you get a certain amulet) a magical health draining gravity gun spell that lets you toss people about like the ragdolls they are (all the while draining health from them) and a spell that lets you paralyze anyone you hit for 5-10 seconds, no save.

- Werewolf form is actually useful now. Although in my opinion they shoulda released the new werewolf changes for vanilla users as well, because it NEEDED this overhaul.

- Bugs ahoy! I ran in to no less than THREE gamebreaking bugs on the vampire questline. All them completely made progressing the questline impossible without much work in the console and even then the results were glitchy and immersion breaking. No word on when it'll be patched, so there's that.

- Three new shouts, one of which you earn by using another shout multiple times. All them are useful and very cool. Especially the last one you get.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Almost no DLC is ever worth it. Shivering Isles and the first GTA4 DLC (I didn't play the second one) were the only ones I really thought were worth it. Though Knights of the Nine were pretty good.

You just gotta enjoy the DLC as complimentary to the game, not just run through the whole thing with your maxed out character and think it was short.

I haven't played it myself, but from the looks of it, it has alot more content then what other developers are pushing out.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
woodaba said:
The price.
The price is not unreasonable. I think 1200 would have been more in line with the content delivered, but 1600 points (15 vs 20 dollars) is still reasonable. The pack overhauls a limping part of gameplay (werewolf), produces an actual reward for playing a vampire (which otherwise holds no benefit outside of RP otherwise), overhauls various loot trees, adds new challenges for high-level players (I'm sorry, I LIKE having dragons that can put up a fight at the cap)
added new shouts and of course the crossbow. if you actually look at the stats, the crossbow is pretty damn good. The basic one you get for starting the DLC has more base damage than all the other bows except daedric and dragonbone. the best one you get for DOING the dawnguard side is actually STRONGER than those two. all crossbows are FASTER than every bow but the weakest. The Aetherium quest is a tremendous loot haul, and apparently other players actually enjoy Dwemer ruins (I don't). 39 journal quests are added, and you are wrong

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
I didn't intend on buying it, and even less so when I found it was 25 AUD on Steam. The game itself is currently $60 for comparison's sake. I also heard it was $20, which pisses me of, especially considering that at the time of writing, the AUD is higher than the USD.

ilexuki

Apr 14, 2012
so, to all the people defending this, i wanna ask, if they offered a dlc that added 100 radiant quests(no new variants) in a new area(made with no new assets),a sword that's on fire, and a bow that uses lightning bolts as arrows for 20 usd, would you still be ok with buying it? those 100 quests will probably add like 30 hours of gameplay to the game. Would you ignore that radiant quests are generally not fun, and very quickly become tedious, or that pc players could easily mod in weapons and skins for free?

would you buy it anyway, just cause you can, just cause you're a good little fan, cause 20usd is a small price to pay to ride out on generic quests, wielding your brand new sword of flames?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I would buy those 100 radiant quests if they added 12 hours of non radiant quests that form a story...... kinda like..... ohh shit..... they did with Dawnguard and its 10-12 hour long Main Quest, and its two new areas that are mostly new assets.

Also the whole "well modders can make X for free" line is idiotic, modders could potentially make ANYTHING, even Shivering Isles, for free. does that mean SI wasn't worth the price? nope.