Do other countries really think ALL americans are stupid?

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Kakulukia said:
Not all Americans are stupid. Just the stupid ones. And the religious right wing extremists.
You have to admit this is a very, very loud minority. Of course it affects how we see your country.
You're just jealous because left wing's extremeists are even dumber than the right wing's :p

OW! Who keeps throwing those?!

Tongue out of cheek: Extremeists and/or morons are always going to be the most vocal of a group because they don't have as much calm intellect to use as, say, a moderate who sees the strengths and weaknesses of both sides, so they fall back on their emotions. Sadly, humanity developed it's emotions BEFORE it's logic, so emotional arguments tend to be stronger than logical ones.

matthew_lane said:
"Do other countries really think ALL americans are stupid?"

Well lets see... America is the home of
- Reality tv
- American Idol
- The National Organization for Women
- VAWA
- Charlie Sheen
- The American Electoral System
- The Creation Institute
- A channel that changed its name from Sci-Fi to syfy, as so to appeal to fucking morons
- Texas
- Any place Texas adjacent
- Female Studies
- Males Studies
- 4E D&D
- People who think Japan is the best place ever
- Mormonism
- Amish
- A banking system so self serving it crippled the entire world economy
- Anyone whose ever been on Cops.
- A country that contained a state where gay people could get married, but the nbanned it due to bigoted christians
- Anonymous
- Scientology
- Fred Phelps
- etc etc.

Do i think all Americans are stupid... having reviewed the above list, i'd say no: I'm sure there's like that one guy whose trying to escape, being pulled back by Americans chanting "one of us, one of us," like a group of morbidly obese retarded zombies... An he's all like "I've got to get out, i don't belong here, i'm not a retard i swear."
America is also the home of the internet*, the man on the moon, coca cola, cotton candy, the PC, the Mac...

*Sorta.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
Americans technically aren't dumber than people in other countries, HOWEVER, the american culture seems to be deeply rooted in what I'd call stupidity (religion, thinking their country is the most important one in the world, which leads to people not bothering with educating themselves on the rest of the world by default, general lack of privacy, placing way too much stock in meaningless arbitrary traditions... though that's rather common more or less everywhere, so yeah, just goes to show that humanity is stupid in general, and not just limited to americans), arbitrary age restrictions (for both sex and alcohol, and such high age limits are counter-productive, limiting people to 14-15 for sex and 16-18 for alcohol is more or less reasonable, while 18 for sex and 21 for alcohol is just stupid, 'cause the limits themselves don't correlate with reality, by which I mean almost NOONE will follow those, and basically makes both taboo subjects for the average person, which again, serves noone).
The biggest problem about the age limits is that people who came up with them used their subjective "morality" and religion to tell them what's wrong and right, rather than science(or more specifically, biology and psychology) to tell them when it's generally biologically and psychologically viable for a person to have sex and consume alcohol.
But americans are by no means the dumbest in the world(everyone gets basic education there, which sets them above most of the world), they just seem to get too caught up with their own silly culture that's too deeply rooted in stupidity. I mean come on, evolution vs creationism is still an issue of debate in the US, which just goes to show that the culture is WAY too deeply rooted in what is in itself to a fairytale that once served it's purpose but has no real place in the 21st century. That's something that greatly saddens me, 'cause whatever people think of the US and whatever americans themselves think of their country (be it that they think it's the most important country in the world, or a country that's not as important as people generally seem to think it is), the US is still a major influence in the world.
Besides humanity in general is and probably will always be stupid by default, it's not something that's limited to certain countries.
So in short:
Everyones stupid, but the american culture is rooted in stupidity (or in other words, subjective morality and religion), which is something I personally do not like, but that doesn't mean they're alone on that, no, most cultures are more or less the same way, it's just that the US technically is one of the most advanced countries/cultures on this planet and therefore should atleast try to move past it's own partially flawed culture(and so should everyone else).

And just to be clear - no, I don't loathe americans any more than I loathe people from other countries, so please don't take any of this personally, I'm just pointing out flaws in the american culture that makes them have narrower horizons in general, though obviously that's not the case for everyone there.

stupenderifous

Aug 9, 2011
Don't you
Rin Little said:
AperioContra said:
I'm an American, and I still think all Americans are stupid.
Agreed. The stupid things that have happened in this country greatly outnumber the intelligent or even good things that have happened. Not to mention we live in a country where you can have absolutely no proof of something ridiculous and still get people to not only believe you but to follow you...
Glenn Beck for President! Michele Bachmann for Vice!

nlaq

May 16, 2011
TheDooD said:
Nelson LaQuet said:
TheDooD said:
BleedingPride said:
I'm an American and while my country has done some things that I do not agree with I really don't understand why people judge everyone in America to be dumbasses? i hear things like "for those of you who are too american to understand" or "what is it with Americans and.." and it just goes on and on and on and i just dont understand. I'm not that person people seem to think i am just because of my american accent. What's with all the hostility?
I think only about 80% of Americans are stupid everybody else still have some sort common sense.
80%? What is your source? If you have none - what purpose do you serve by stating this? Per what metric do you define stupidity? Are you really suggesting that a 1st world country can be properly run if 80% of the people running it are "stupid" (which, I take to mean: lack of aptitude and critical thinking abilities)?

Disclaimer: I know that someone is about to say "well, the US is going to shit, so clearly, the people can't run it." To that, I would respond: the problems that we are facing were caused by poor leadership, greed on part of the banks, and the half-baked social programs instituted by our government falling apart. This isn't social programs vs. no social programs, I'm not getting into _that_ debate. But either way, you can't disagree that what we did create as far as social programs go, that they are falling apart.

The fact that we're doing poorly is mostly the fault of, what people would call, "intelligent" people. The other 80%, the stupid people according to you, are the ones that have kept our country from completely failing. These are the Microsofts, the Apples, the Googles, the Amazons, and the countless hundreds of MILLIONS of skilled people who go to work every day to keep this country alive.

Stop being an ignorant jerk.
If you didn't get that I was joking you proved my point.
I understand that English is probably not your first language (due to previous grammar mistakes), but as a native (American) English speaker, I have to point out that there was no hint of irony in the post you made that I responded to. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your culture has a different way of expressing irony, instead of insinuating that your latest post was an attempt at covering your ass after I called you out for being hypocritical and ignorant.

However, as a courtesy to you, I will also point out another possible error: "If you didn't get that I was joking you proved my point" contradicts itself. If you were joking, there would be no point that you were proving. If you had a point, you weren't joking. Again, I may be missing some important difference in how other cultures use language, so please excuse me if that is the case.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Nelson LaQuet said:
TheDooD said:
Nelson LaQuet said:
TheDooD said:
BleedingPride said:
I'm an American and while my country has done some things that I do not agree with I really don't understand why people judge everyone in America to be dumbasses? i hear things like "for those of you who are too american to understand" or "what is it with Americans and.." and it just goes on and on and on and i just dont understand. I'm not that person people seem to think i am just because of my american accent. What's with all the hostility?
I think only about 80% of Americans are stupid everybody else still have some sort common sense.
80%? What is your source? If you have none - what purpose do you serve by stating this? Per what metric do you define stupidity? Are you really suggesting that a 1st world country can be properly run if 80% of the people running it are "stupid" (which, I take to mean: lack of aptitude and critical thinking abilities)?

Disclaimer: I know that someone is about to say "well, the US is going to shit, so clearly, the people can't run it." To that, I would respond: the problems that we are facing were caused by poor leadership, greed on part of the banks, and the half-baked social programs instituted by our government falling apart. This isn't social programs vs. no social programs, I'm not getting into _that_ debate. But either way, you can't disagree that what we did create as far as social programs go, that they are falling apart.

The fact that we're doing poorly is mostly the fault of, what people would call, "intelligent" people. The other 80%, the stupid people according to you, are the ones that have kept our country from completely failing. These are the Microsofts, the Apples, the Googles, the Amazons, and the countless hundreds of MILLIONS of skilled people who go to work every day to keep this country alive.

I understand that English is probably not your first language (due to previous grammar mistakes), but as a native (American) English speaker, I have to point out that there was no hint of irony in the post you made that I responded to. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your culture has a different way of expressing irony, instead of insinuating that your latest post was an attempt at covering your ass after I called you out for being hypocritical and ignorant.

However, as a courtesy to you, I will also point out another possible error: "If you didn't get that I was joking you proved my point" contradicts itself. If you were joking, there would be no point that you were proving. If you had a point, you weren't joking. Again, I may be missing some important difference in how other cultures use language, so please excuse me if that is the case.
C'mon you never heard of the joke that 80% of people can't notice sarcasm online. Noticing sarcasm takes some common sense basically defining the joke. Holy shit dood take it easy.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
BrailleOperatic said:
I'm going to answer your question with this question: why do all Americans think every Brit is upper-class scholar-gentry?
Answer: because those are the only ones they hear about. I'm English, and currently living in the US, and I have been asked more culturally ignorant than I care to count. I was once asked if I could speak English. By an American. After a ten minute conversation with them. In English. Not all Americans are dumb, just the loudest ones.
I was once asked by an American to speak English to them as well when I was visiting friends in New York. A lot of them thought I was Scottish as well because I come from Yorkshire and I don't sound posh. A lot of Americans I know are extremely smart, but I agree with you, the loudest ones do tend to say the dumbest things.

Nikluz

Aug 9, 2011
T.D. said:
Nikluz said:
Ok, lets say you were going to die soon, would you not leave all your possessions to your kids? And while the "spoiled rich kid" stereotype is often true, they usually change their attitude when they go into the world on their own. Take Donald Trump for example, he was the son of a rich man but built his company from the ground up trough hard work, and is now a very successful man. And all I'm saying is that there should be a fair flat tax of about 5%, that way everyone could benifit. On a diffent subject, Universal health care is extremely flawed. Competetion is what moves humanity forward, if you have to move forward and advance to beat the other company to earn a higher paycheck, then you'll do it. If you do that then good idea after good idea will take place and you will drive not only your company forward but also the entire market for your product because others will try to beat you. Take for example the AT & T case. In the 60's the United States Goverment ordered AT & T do break up into parts. They did this because they were the only phone company, they had no competeion to drive them forward, and therefore had no reason to advance. If the U. S. goverment had not stopped their monopoly then many of the communication devises that we use today, such as cellphones, wouldn't have been built. And not to mention that if you did implement universal health care then millions of people in the healthcare and medical industries would be fired or quit because goverment salaries aren't as substansial. Hospitals and Emergency Rooms would be like the DMV. Then we would be extremly shorthanded on disease research because of the people that left, therefore many sicknesses wouldnt have vaccines or cures. And how is getting millions of people fired and on the streets freedom, the goverment should not interfere with individual businesses, unless they have a monopoly. In which case it is the goverments duty to push the market forward. Now while I dont agree with things such as outsourceing, I do support most aspects of Conserveitism. And also, yes it is a basic human right and I think the goverment should have a healthcare system to accomodate the unemployed, but it shouldnt rule the market. And in reality most rich people work there fingers to the bone to get to where they are. I agree that a percent of American tourists are to dependent on stereotypes when they travel abroad and other parts of the world may view some of our television as unruly or stupid, but how dare you call us an annoying 12 year old, we have the largest and most well trained army in the world, some of the best scienctists, and the best resources. (I mean we could be completely self sufficient) Give us some credit. Oh and I'm not a troll, I'm a republican that looks out for America's best intrests. And exactly what country are you from?
Yes there are a few people who built there own companies, independent of their parents. But there are also more people who live of their parents interest. I'm not saying they shouldn't inherit, i'm saying they shouldn't be getting off with what is basically a free ride.

NO competition drives for the best balance of quality and price/profit. The companies are always going to be looking to be cutting corners to make their services cheaper. They care about the money, not the consumer. Yes they have to keep consumer at the base minimum of satisfied to keep them coming back and paying.

I'm also not against private hospitals/research etc. I just think that everyone should be entitled to FREE healthcare. That's the governments job right? To protect its people? So why shouldn't that extend from military defence to Universal Health Care.

Now, as to the country I am from. It would be England. We have the NHS. Universal Health Care. The doctors are one of the highest paid jobs in the country, and I know plenty of doctors that prefer working for the NHS over privately funded hospitals.

As for what America has. It doesn't have the largest army in the world (the Chinese greatly outnumber you), and the training for said army is much less than the training the soldiers from England receive.
Probably because England has less people to dispose of in the army, but that is neither here nor there.
Yes it may have the most advanced equipment, but that doesn't equal large or well trained.
As for the scientists, you would notice most of the best are from other countries, which America being the "centre" of the world attracts.
As for resources. I really can't comment. You'd have to define resources. For instance, most fast food meat is imported (because its cheaper), all your oil is imported, etc. Don't delude yourself that you could have the same quality of life as you do now without other countries.
Most countries need the other countries to remain free trade so we can all benefit.

Finally, I should've made it more clear, I don't think that individual Americans are 12 year olds, or that their technology is. But in terms of social maturity it certainly isn't setting a brilliant example. Most likely due to its relative youth as a country in relation to the rest of the world, another good example is Australia whose society is also relatively young.
Ok, I am vastly aware that countries such as china and russia outnumber ours, but countries such as china, not russia, are barely trained and therefore would have strength in numbers but not much else. So assumeing we ever got on a one on one war, with nuclear weapons excluded, we would win in the long run. By largest army, I did not only mean the actual army, I meant the entire military, and you cannot argue that our military isnt more diverse and better rounded in every field. By that I mean our ground troops, navy, and air force are all well trained so that we could completely dominate the battlefield, not like Britain 300 years ago that was almost completely dependent on its navy, which led to them losing the revolution. Some countries, like england, do compensate there small size by training their armies to maxium strength. Still we have the best trained special operations forces, so much so that they did what no other country could, we took down Osama bin Laden. I am not trying to be the guy that thinks America is the greatest because of that. And you said yourself that we are the center of world affairs. Scientists such as Albert Einstein relinquished their past citizenship to become an American, it doesnt matter where they were it matters where they are, america. America also does have all the resources we require. We produse our own oil, wood, food, and plastics. Now while we do import those very same products so that in the event of an emergency quarentine we could continue to function, our standard of living would be hindered, we could still continue to live. And the company with the best product will always win. Now on to healthcare, did you know that canada switched from universal healthcare to private companies because it was more efficent. Free healthcare should be extended to only the unemployed or disabled, and if you knew anything about America you would know that we have Medicare, a tax based goverment run company. We also have free clinics, they are doctors offices available to, you geust it, everyone free of charge. The step from private to universal healthcare is a step in the direction of more goverment control, as the goverment is then limiting the economy of their country, it is the first step into socialism. Also the best product wins, take Apple for instance, they rule the computer market because they always put out the best product and therefore make the most profit. And you cant stop the like 8% of the time someone piggeybacks off their parents fortune, just get over it, dont make everyone that is "rich" suffer for someone getting off easy. I hate to be all over the map but, how dare you critize our goverment, how is it crumbling? At least we're not having riots in the streets and a goverment too scared to take control of the situation. The riots wouldnt be as bad as they are for suvillians if you all would have second amendment rights, in your country only criminals have guns. On a seperate note, have you ever been to america, you cant judge a country if you've never been there. Also you say that we think that we're the best, we didnt put our flag poles down where ever we felt like it and say its ours. Back in the day you guys thought that you owned everything, you can say what you want but we dont act like that. You guys are so full of yourself you are too prideful to switch over to the Euro, you just have to stick to the Pound. Also you are the only country in the European Union to have a parliment. How do you think that your better than us, that in it's self is an overzealous form of pride. Know what you're talking about before you post it.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
hm. it's kinda funny, our british foreign exchange student is a fuckin' douchebag. seriously, it's like he's from jersey shore or something. and i don't think it's dumb so much as simple. i know i prefer things to be straightforward. i can grasp subtlety, but i prefer to tell it like it is, despite other people's emotions. i feel like if i lie or give a half truth or pretend to understand when i don't, then i've lied to that person. but be honest, look at some irish or british rugby fans. they make your average american look almost intelligent.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
Nelson LaQuet said:
TheDooD said:
Nelson LaQuet said:
TheDooD said:
BleedingPride said:

*ahem* i do believe, my good man, that the former post was meant as a lighthearted remark, which you took all to seriously. in doing so, you, essentially, acted like a quick tempered, and to be frank, somewhat dim chap. this is why most foreign societies thing us yanks are a bit slow, as we are far too easy to anger more often than not and prefer to sling insults at one another, rather than, you know, speaking peacefully. as adults. wot wot, pip pip and all that blather. and i notice you spent a meticulous amount of time typing properly, and then insinuated he was not an original english speaker, then insulting a culture you don't know anything about, purely because he was not obvious in his SARCASM, not irony, you cantankerous twat. now, look back and read your writing again, and tell me if you don't sound somewhat like a bloody imbecile, and a bit of a horse's ass.

StonedMonkey

Jun 19, 2010
Speaking from the point of view a foreigner, yes.most definitely yes. Obviously, you must be american not to see it.
Nahhh i kid. The thing is, there's a great number of the population who are ignorant of the most common knowledge,or at least thats what i interpret from my 3 years living in the US. More than once have i been asked if i have cars in my country(I'm from costa rica), or if i have electricity and internet. This ignorance is just, ridiculous; which is probably why most of the world thinks a lot of american's are stupid. Also the US has many reasons for other countries to hate them, maybe it's the fact that they call themselves american's in which case theyre undermining the rest of the american continents, maybe its because they invaded other countries for oil, or because they always insist on being involved in things that have nothing to do with them, or even just jealousy. Almost half of my best friend's are american, and the most intelligent person i know is american, it's a shame that the ignorance of many supercedes the genius of the few.

Nikluz

Aug 9, 2011
blaize2010 said:
hm. it's kinda funny, our british foreign exchange student is a fuckin' douchebag. seriously, it's like he's from jersey shore or something. and i don't think it's dumb so much as simple. i know i prefer things to be straightforward. i can grasp subtlety, but i prefer to tell it like it is, despite other people's emotions. i feel like if i lie or give a half truth or pretend to understand when i don't, then i've lied to that person. but be honest, look at some irish or british rugby fans. they make your average american look almost intelligent.
That is exactly what I did, I diproved the other guys remark by bringing up facts that his/your country is any case just as or stupider then ours because we can keep our people under control during a riot as opposed to yours. Rest in Peace whoever died during those riots but your country need to handle the stituation which it clearly isnt. On a different note you cant deny that if the president died it would have a greater effect on the world then if a leader of parliment died. I mean no disrespect to you, however, I do mean as much as possible to the guy before you that I qouted.
StonedMonkey said:
Speaking from the point of view a foreigner, yes.most definitely yes. Obviously, you must be american not to see it.
Nahhh i kid. The thing is, there's a great number of the population who are ignorant of the most common knowledge,or at least thats what i interpret from my 3 years living in the US. More than once have i been asked if i have cars in my country(I'm from costa rica), or if i have electricity and internet. This ignorance is just, ridiculous; which is probably why most of the world thinks a lot of american's are stupid. Also the US has many reasons for other countries to hate them, maybe it's the fact that they call themselves american's in which case theyre undermining the rest of the american continents, maybe its because they invaded other countries for oil, or because they always insist on being involved in things that have nothing to do with them, or even just jealousy. Almost half of my best friend's are american, and the most intelligent person i know is american, it's a shame that the ignorance of many supercedes the genius of the few.
I like your view but I'd say about 20% were joking when they asked you but the rest were just plain dumb.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Americans are no more or less stupid than people from any other country. But we have an export economy big enough to send just about everything we make, from the best to the worst, out to the whole world, and of course they are not going to pass up that chance. Whereas most other countries only export their finest stuff. So of course, when you compare the best of other countries to the average or even the worst of the USA, of course we're not going to come off looking so good. Other countries have their own stupid clowns who make jackasses of themselves; those countries just choose to hide them and act like they don't exist.

BTW, on the whole high-school and university testing thing that shows Americans so far behind, yeah... I know a little something about the school systems in other countries, and again, it's just the whole of America vs. only the best and brightest of other countries. Trust me, I teach here in Japan, and they're only handing those tests to Japan's best, while you've got a bunch of average Joe schmoes taking those tests in America. If you limited it to just the best of America like in other countries, they would be up there with everyone else.

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
I don't consider Americans dumb -- to me it just seems that the odds are often heavily stacked against them becoming smart.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
Nikluz said:
oh god, please proof read your own posts, you're not helping to diffuse the stereotype when you make so many mistakes man seriously.

i've already said this once before but i feel it deserves mention again, i personally don't think most americans are stupid when they are by themselves, as a group however you do seem to have the annoying tendancy to "make with the stupid" it also doesn't help that so many of you know so very little about the world, even the major events, at the same time you generally seem to think everyone else is ignorant for not knowing the most tedious of events in the US.

i certainly don't have anything against americans in general, i'm planning to marry one as a matter of fact, will probably be followed with me moving to america as well.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Here in Sweden, the american stereotype is basically that of a fat, gunloving retard. But there's still that knowledge that I shouldn't be judgemental, since I've never met any americans myself.

Nikluz

Aug 9, 2011
ChaosBorne said:
Nikluz said:
oh god, please proof read your own posts, you're not helping to diffuse the stereotype when you make so many mistakes man seriously.

i've already said this once before but i feel it deserves mention again, i personally don't think most americans are stupid when they are by themselves, as a group however you do seem to have the annoying tendancy to "make with the stupid" it also doesn't help that so many of you know so very little about the world, even the major events, at the same time you generally seem to think everyone else is ignorant for not knowing the most tedious of events in the US.

i certainly don't have anything against americans in general, i'm planning to marry one as a matter of fact, will probably be followed with me moving to america as well.
Please elaborate on what you mean by errors, like spelling errors or was my info wrong?

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
An excellent point has been brought up elsewhere (and probably here too, but honestly, to hell with 8 pages) several times: "Americans aren't stupid. People are stupid."

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
Nikluz said:
Ok, I am vastly aware that countries such as china and russia outnumber ours, but countries such as china, not russia, are barely trained and therefore would have strength in numbers but not much else. So assumeing we ever got on a one on one war, with nuclear weapons excluded, we would win in the long run. By largest army, I did not only mean the actual army, I meant the entire military, and you cannot argue that our military isnt more diverse and better rounded in every field. By that I mean our ground troops, navy, and air force are all well trained so that we could completely dominate the battlefield, not like Britain 300 years ago that was almost completely dependent on its navy, which led to them losing the revolution. Some countries, like england, do compensate there small size by training their armies to maxium strength. Still we have the best trained special operations forces, so much so that they did what no other country could, we took down Osama bin Laden. I am not trying to be the guy that thinks America is the greatest because of that.

And you said yourself that we are the center of world affairs. Scientists such as Albert Einstein relinquished their past citizenship to become an American, it doesnt matter where they were it matters where they are, america. America also does have all the resources we require. We produse our own oil, wood, food, and plastics. Now while we do import those very same products so that in the event of an emergency quarentine we could continue to function, our standard of living would be hindered, we could still continue to live. And the company with the best product will always win.

Now on to healthcare, did you know that canada switched from universal healthcare to private companies because it was more efficent. Free healthcare should be extended to only the unemployed or disabled, and if you knew anything about America you would know that we have Medicare, a tax based goverment run company. We also have free clinics, they are doctors offices available to, you geust it, everyone free of charge. The step from private to universal healthcare is a step in the direction of more goverment control, as the goverment is then limiting the economy of their country, it is the first step into socialism.

Also the best product wins, take Apple for instance, they rule the computer market because they always put out the best product and therefore make the most profit. And you cant stop the like 8% of the time someone piggeybacks off their parents fortune, just get over it, dont make everyone that is "rich" suffer for someone getting off easy.

I hate to be all over the map but, how dare you critize our goverment, how is it crumbling? At least we're not having riots in the streets and a goverment too scared to take control of the situation. The riots wouldnt be as bad as they are for suvillians if you all would have second amendment rights, in your country only criminals have guns.

On a seperate note, have you ever been to america, you cant judge a country if you've never been there. Also you say that we think that we're the best, we didnt put our flag poles down where ever we felt like it and say its ours. Back in the day you guys thought that you owned everything, you can say what you want but we dont act like that. You guys are so full of yourself you are too prideful to switch over to the Euro, you just have to stick to the Pound. Also you are the only country in the European Union to have a parliment. How do you think that your better than us, that in it's self is an overzealous form of pride. Know what you're talking about before you post it.
That's a lot of text to read through from both of us. I've split it up to make it easier for readers and for me to counter argue.

Lets start out of with blaize2010,

Please notice at NO point did I say Britain is better than America, at NO point did I say Britain doesn't have idiots, and I never said that a countries image is what actually is.

What I did say is that, America's image doesn't portray them as intelligent, and their governments actions in the world seems to uphold that image.

If anyone is still confused look at ChaosBorne's post as that is pretty much what I think.

Now to reply to Nikluz.

First, never assume. Assumption is the mother of all mistakes. Don't underestimate numbers and don't EVER forget tactics. America pretty much lost the Vietnam war due to weak tactics, despite outmanning and being better equipped. And I would like to remind you China was once a mastermind at tactics having produced Sun Tzu, Sun Pin etc. I don't know how good their tactics are today, but with a history like China I really wouldn't want to test it.

Second on the army, yes America does have a well rounded army and that makes it versatile. However being versatile also means you have no strengths or weaknesses. Also I'd like to point out for your history sake, that the reason the American Revolution came off successfully, not so much that our Navy was the stronger point, but because other countries in Europe decided to help you.

Finally on the army, I really REALLY cannot believe you brought the taking down of Osama Bin Laden into this. Hooray you found one man and killed him. A man you didn't find by yourself. One man who was more likely to be a figurehead chosen by BOTH sides for the press. So that people have a target to hate.

Out of the army now, onto commerce. You can't PRODUCE oil you mine it. Like you can't produce metal. But that was petty so I'll give you something more tangible.

http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/top_us_imports.html

That sounds like a lot of imports for a country that could be self sufficient. Now don't get me wrong there are few countries that could be self sufficient and nearly all of them are not 1st world countries. Its gotten to the point where we NEED free trade, to keep going at this point in time.

Brilliant back to health care. Medicare, is for people over 65 and those with disabbilities. Last I checked that wasn't all its people. So, it matters how ill or old you are if you get free treatment. But why shouldn't that then extend to others? In death we are all equal. So shouldn't that also apply to the sick?
Plus a National Health Service, doesn't stop private hospitals, and economy doesn't stagnate even if it did. Why? Because the government pays its employers, and its people pays that through taxes. A flow of money. No stagnancy in economy. Stagnancy occurs where money doesn't come out or flow e.g. if the government took taxes and didn't pay its employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publicly-funded_health_care
I approve of the two tier system.
Finally yes it does give the government more control, but really not that much more than it already has. I mean it can't be more power than getting every child to say the Pledge of Allegiance. You do realise taking power out of the government is a socialist view point? Extreme socialism=No Government (basically, of course that is an over simplification)

Quick question though what is wrong with socialism? Just curious, all forms of government has its positives and negatives. Why is going slightly more socialist a bad thing? Of course there are problems with all extremes. Socialism, mobs. Communism, laziness. Democracy, inefficient. Dictatorship, too much power for one person. etc.

I really don't have anything to say on Apple, but I will say this. Its main selling point is its simplicity in comparison to Microsoft. Kind of like what Nintendo did with the Wii.

Erm, I don't think I ever used the term crumbling. What I think you were referring to is how I said it makes bad decisions in terms of world relations. Now all governments make bad decisions, but certain decisions people remember and dislike more than others.
If I need to go further think of Team America. Then get back to me.
I'm assuming you meant "Civilians", otherwise ignore this paragraph.
http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/155503/
Police have guns too, besides the guy with the gun is always more likely to be shot than someone without one. Plus it keeps gun crime low, its knife crime thats more the worry here.

Hmm, *typing in moon landing into google images*
As you ask, yes I have been to America. Several times to several different places. I've also been to France, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and am actually planning a trip to Japan. I am also well versed in French, German and Japanese.
And I'll probably visit many more countries before I die.
I say all this, and I've been to those places for the same reason, because I like seeing the diversity between countries and societies, in comparison to the ones I know. And when I see things like McDonalds and other signs of westernisation, I die a little inside. Why? Because it destroys what was once unique, and turns it into just another America wannabe.
Its not so much I dislike America, but more the dominant nature its affect on the world has been. I don't want more Americas, anymore than I want more Britains or Japans. One of each country is quite enough for me.
Its also why I don't like the idea of the Euro. But getting onto the Euro, if we did then we would have to legally bail out any country in the European Union. To put it in your terms imagine if Americans taxes were going to South America instead.

I would also like to point out I never said Britain was better than America. I just think Americas pride needs to be taken down a few notches. Like saying you could be self sufficient. Now there is nothing wrong with a bit of pride for ones country, but I think America takes it too far.
Also,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_Italy
I would like to echo your own piece of advice,

Nikluz said:
Know what you're talking about before you post it.
Finally, (this took too long to write) I never claimed any country to be better or worse than any other country. Each country makes decisions I don't like, the French Burqa Ban, The English Coalition, and America fighting so hard against "Obamacare" etc.
I really don't know where you got the impression of "overzealous pride" beyond me making criticisms to America, and saying only two things I think England does better. Both those things most of Europe do anyway. Its not just England that has UHC (Canada DOES) or trains their troops more extensively to maximise each soldier (Japan). Its just I mentioned this country cause I KNOW those two facts are correct for this one.
There are aspects of America that I do think it does best e.g. entertainment industry, internal transport

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
Nikluz said:
blaize2010 said:
That is exactly what I did, I diproved the other guys remark by bringing up facts that his/your country is any case just as or stupider then ours because we can keep our people under control during a riot as opposed to yours. Rest in Peace whoever died during those riots but your country need to handle the stituation which it clearly isnt. On a different note you cant deny that if the president died it would have a greater effect on the world then if a leader of parliment died. I mean no disrespect to you, however, I do mean as much as possible to the guy before you that I qouted.
how bout we all just go with the idea that when you get a large number of people together and have them make a decision, they often take too long and do too little. elected officials don't want to lose votes, whether parliament or congress. and i know plenty of people of varying nationalities and intelligences. i know an idiotic japanese guy, i know a genius from texas, who speaks with the drawl and everything. some people are just stupid, but americans are loud, and that makes us seems stupid. when you think about it, though, isn't calling americans stupid a bit idiotic itself? i mean, it's like generalizing everyone in the country, while you haven't met every single one. but yes, we do not handle riots well, but trust me, if i were in charge the riots would end pretty quickly. i have... ideas.