Do we want realistic graphics?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I don' care if it's realistic or not as long as it's pretty.

And Arkham Asylum is pretty. It might just be the best looking game out there.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
No, no I do not. Realistic basically means a whole lot of brown (Farcry 2, GOW) and I hate those graphics.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Pegghead said:
No, no I do not. Realistic basically means a whole lot of brown (Farcry 2, GOW) and I hate those graphics.
No, it doesn't. Realistic means concern for fact or reality and rejection of the impractical and visionary.

A lot of brown means limited palette knowledge/unlimited laziness/lack of creativity. Take your pick.

Well, unless there's meaningful context behind it. But we're are talking about the majority case here.

Anyway, this dude's post sums it up pretty good:

101194 said:
The Graphics should help the Gameplay and progress the Story. That's about all that matters for me.

Jul 8, 2008
In the FPS genre, it's a mixed answer cause if it works for the game's setting to look realistic then yes, but it not then no.

Slightly off topic, I like how Yahtzee criticizes FPS games for having brown and black colors when if you've ever been in a war situation or area that's exactly what you see. I myself have never served but I've visited areas where battles happened and have seen enough documentaries about wars to know that it's very, very rare to see a battle take place in a field of brightly colored flowers.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
If they make another GTA look "realistic", Ishall shoot the devs and shoot every disk ever made.
Some games are not meant to look real, like Saints Row II, it's cartoony and AWESOME!

MGS4 should probably look realistic... so Hideo's terrible writing can be covered up by the "ooh's" and "ahs" of shiny graphics.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
If the game requires it so be it. It's meant to be fun at the end of the day.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
It's a matter of style. Some games can't do well without trying to look as realistic as the technology allows; typically the more serious games like Fallout 3. However, there is nothing wrong with a game going for a cartoony look, something a lot of developers don't seem to get (and those that do usually think of it as just a way to use ancient graphics technology to cheapen development).

So what I'm saying is that the graphics should flow naturally from the style of the game, and graphics and gameplay should mesh seamlessly. If the tone is silly or unconventional, then shooting for photo-realistic graphics may not be a good goal.

Echelon_3

Sep 10, 2009
It all depends on the game, really.

- If the game is grim'n'dark, super serious, or is trying to create a sense of immersion, it really should have realistic graphics.

- If I'm playing on a tropical island or majestic Norwegian fjord, it'd be really nice to have realistic graphics of such a vista.

- If the game isn't meant to be taken too seriously, or if it just doesn't need them, I think development resources are better spent elsewhere. Look at the examples of WoW or TF2 - Just because there are no normal maps, no ultra-sophisticated lighting engine, etc., doesn't mean the graphics are categorically "bad". In fact, they can actually add to a game's appeal.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Realism isn't always in graphics but also in the notion of control. For instance the combat fight simulator Jane's US Navy Fighters was released in 1996 and although it didn't offer the graphics can can currently be obtained, it came with a 400 page manual and you had complete control over your aircraft.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'll never understand anyone who thinks that fiction should be realistic...

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think we should stop about where we are right now and just strive for a solid frame rate and greater number of characters on screen.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
If graphics never progress further than Crysis I wouldn't be too bothered, then developers could be working on things that are more important like depth, story, realistic animation and gameplay features

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Its good to have realistic graphics so that our guns will look nice. The AK-74 and AK-103 are through practicality the best rifle.

Schnippshly

Mar 6, 2009
I cannot believe this is even a question
Obviously realistic-looking graphics are what game developers often strive for. If they want it to look like a cartoon, then it will, but if they want it to look realistic, they'll do their best. There is no reason to tell them "HEY STOP MAKING GRAPHICS BETTER!" We could go back to the age of PS1 and N64 if you'd like.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again: bring back the pixel graphics, if only for a few games every year. No More Heroes 2 is a good example, what with its mini-games looking like they belong to the Sega Genesis.

obliterate

Sep 2, 2009
Curtmiester said:
It all depends on the game. An FPS should (if thats their style). But something like Pokemon? O god no.
Yeah I actually want that idea...I am a fan of technology type interfaces and stuff like that (which are actually seen in many FPSs)...But the idea is good FPS=realistic graphic

Uber_Newb

Sep 10, 2009
apsham said:
I am just going to say that games are never going to have photo-realstic graphics and\or be decent in my lifetime.. so any attempt to do so is only going to land things in the uncanny valley (Bethesda, I am looking at you). I'm a fan of immersion but fuck that meaning realistic as possible graphics.
Hey everyone, Uber Newb here *yeah, original, I know.* Long time visitor, first time poster. Be gentle.

Regarding photo-realistic games, of course it'll happen. With the advances in GPS/Imaging Technology and Facial Recognition systems, plus with motion capture/sensors already being used and upgraded, it won't be long before there are movie games where you control a real person in a real world setting. It'd be good as a genre for serious games, but shouldn't become the standard for obvious reasons.