Do You Ever Buy Games Knowing They'll Be Crap?

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Well... as the title asks.

With the steam sale on now, I am finding myself looking at games I would normally think "yeah fuck that, looks arse", but actually now thinking "Dude it's less than 5quid give it a go"

One in particular is "Cryostasis"... Normally I'd instantly dismiss it as a no-go game but it's less than 3quid at the moment and I am considering giving it a chance.
There's loads of stuff on there at the moment I am thinking about throwing a bone.

So, do you ever just buy a game fully expecting it to be pretty bad, and why? Hoping for a hiden gem? Simpley bored and need something to do? What games come to mind?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Xiorell said:

With the steam sale on now, I am finding myself looking at games I would normally think "yeah fuck that, looks arse", but actually now thinking "Dude it's less than 5quid give it a go"

One in particular is "Cryostasis"... Normally I'd instantly dismiss it as a no-go game but it's less than 3quid at the moment and I am considering giving it a chance.
There's loads of stuff on there at the moment I am thinking about throwing a bone.

So, do you ever just buy a game fully expecting it to be pretty bad, and why? Hoping for a hiden gem? Simpley bored and need something to do? What games come to mind?
You'd be doing a grave diservice dismissing Cryostasis. It's one of the more enjoyable games I've played all year. Shit you not.

As for myself, I bought Dark Sector for the 360 for a couple bucks. I wasn't expecting much, but I figure slow-mo boomerang decaps are worth a couple bucks. I was right.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
The Austin said:
And Cryostasis is supposed to be really good.
Really? I seen alot more negative feedback than positive but as I said, I am looking at it thinking I'll give it a shot, I'd like a pleasant suprise if it IS good.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
No. I only buy games that a) I know I'll love or b) come very highly recommended by friends or the Escapist.

Movies on the other hand...

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Nope, I cancel my pre-order as soon as it even [i/]looks[/i] like it could be bad... I'm so sorry Persona 3 Portable.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Xiorell said:
The Austin said:
Really? I seen alot more negative feedback than positive but as I said, I am looking at it thinking I'll give it a shot, I'd like a pleasant suprise if it IS good.
It's a rare example of an "Artistic" game.
You will probably like it if you can appreciate that.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Occasionally, but usually there's a reason -- I bought the critically panned Star Wars: Obi-Wan for Xbox, for example, because years prior to its release it was hyped as the sequel to Jedi Knight, and I wanted to see how it turned out. This is similarly true of Daikatana -- which I purchased out of curiosity -- as well as periodic other titles like Tomorrow Never Dies for PSX and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams for Wii.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Ando3242 said:
I'm kind of OCD about having to have a game's entire series. So, if there is a title in it that pales in comparison to the others for some reason I will still buy it for completeness. Key examples are Devil May Cry 2 and Suikoden IV.
Can understand that, I am similar with alot of things... games, movies, books, I am really bad for it with TV shows given how much a season box set can set you back

Rusty pumpkin

Sep 25, 2009
alone in the dark. i had heard every bad thing about this game, but i wanted to see if i had a different taste. no, i didn't... i wonder if gamestop will have it back?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Stalker series, i saw an ad in a gamer magazine a year or two back and a three months ago i saw it on offer on steam. I just got it anyway, surpassed my expectations brilliantly, a little buggy but blew me away. Halflife reference also hilarious.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
The Austin said:
Xiorell said:
The Austin said:
It's a rare example of an "Artistic" game.
You will probably like it if you can appreciate that.
Thanks for that, think I shall give it a go then
Penumbra is another one that's come to my attention recently, gonna give that a go once I finished up the games I am currently playing.

blazer516 said:
alone in the dark. i had heard every bad thing about this game, but i wanted to see if i had a different taste. no, i didn't... i wonder if gamestop will have it back?
lol I didn't play it myself but was a bit gutted it turned out so (apparently) bad, I enjoyed the previous releases.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Just Darkest of Days.

Bought it for Christmas after watching Yahtzee's review, and I do actually like it.

The only problem I have with it is that there's this one level during the Civil War, that's fucking hard. And the autosaves do not fucking work then... I really hate that level.

Snuggle

Apr 28, 2009
Xiorell said:

You should definitely try out Cryostasis. Sure, it has its share of technical flaws and the ending is quite confusing, but the atmosphere is wonderful and especially the first half of the game is incredibly tense. As hiphophippo already said, it, for me as well, was a really great experience, and for that low a price you can't refuse it.
Sorry for advertising, but it was just so good :) (NOTE: I am not responsible if you buy the game in question and dislike it ;) )

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
Yes, I've bought Marvel Nemesis while 100% sober once. I just remember watching the guy at the counter shake his head in disappointment, and that's when I knew I was doing the right thing. I can't even put into words how hard it is to actually want to play that game again, after I spent about an hour with it.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I get pre-owned and discounts because I'm quite friendly with the guy who runs the place so I can afford to get them and try them out. Then take 'em back and swap SWAP SWAP.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
mirrors edge... it was £3 and it was terrible...