Do you feel bad when losing units in strategy games?

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I don't feel bad when I lose any unit, but at the same time I don't got sending any of them to there deaths for no reason.

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
If I anyone in like, a complete slaughter attack or ambush that I wasn't expecting, I ALWAYS take off my headset like I'm in Clear And Present Danger and say "Dammit. We lost a good man today," in an old man commander voice.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
I'm a pretty competitive SC2 player so I'm normally concentrating too hard to really think about it when playing online.
In the campaign though, I do a bit, especially on the missions where you can't make units and are just given an allotted amount, e.g. Nova's mission.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I feel obligated to put in this gem from Awkward Zombie.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f278/katietiedrich/comic92.jpg

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
It depends, if the unit is named/important/one-shot deal, I'll feel annoyed, not really bad. If it's just some nameless unit, not really, sacrifices have to be made.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Wesnoth.
Oh yes, fuck yes I hate it.
When your lvl3 unit gets killed by a bunch of small fries- You wish god will burn them in eternal fire of hell.

And generally I always try to minimize my losses in every battle, you never know what lurks around corner- gotta be prepared.

the_hoffs_ego

Oct 11, 2010
Well I don't feel an emotional response about losing them, usually. Unless I'm REALLY into a game of Age of Empires 3 or Civ Rev/4 (which I occasionally am). I do however feel bad (sometimes a little emotional) if an entire division of my army is massacred. But then it's game on.

Sirpipple

Aug 17, 2010
The only game I feel bad about loosing troops on is Pikmin and Pikmin 2. If i ever loose a handful while fighting something I restart and try again.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
I always make sure I've got enough medics for my marine pushes in Starcraft 2. I kind of feel bad for them since they're the butt monkeys/cannon fodder of the terran war machine.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Depends on the game; in SupCom, I am more than willing to send hordes of units to their deaths. Hell, I'll even nuke my own units if it places me in a more strategically viable position.

However, there is a game that is the complete anti-thesis of this philosophy. Men of War; never has a game made me care for little sprites so much. MoW is the perfect example of narrative through gameplay, because for any given battle, you receive only a set number of troops. So, despite exposition or personal stories, you find yourself caring for you men, empathizing with their struggle, and trying you damnedest to bring them home alive!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Not at all.

Not a fan of strategy games. When I do play them my tactic is usually to build as many as possible of whatever unit I quite like and then just zerg my enemy and hope that he dies before my units do. As long as one of my guys survives to finish I'm happy.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
I feel bad when I lose units in games like X-COM where you have a small number of them, and they get noticeably better as time goes on. That said by midgame I would often hire three of four times the number of soldiers I needed just so I could fire the ones that didn't meet the HP, Strength, Willpower or Psionic requirements meaning they weren't cheap. Plus you need to keep a unit alive for at least a month to do psionic training by late game and without psionics, you're screwed.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I do. I don't buy peasants in Rome: Total War because I feel bad buying units who I'm just going to send to their death.

amegor

Oct 30, 2009
YES i always feel bad....espcially in games like fire fire emblem. i do my best to keep them all alive. the only game i dont care about units is black and white two...

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
EBHughsThe1st said:
So, say you're playing a strategy game and one of your units is lost in battle. Like, anything from Starcraft to Pikmin. Do you feel bad? Or guilty?

Normally I don't, but I take special care to preserve my units in Pikmin 2. Let's face it, they're these adorable little plant creatures that follow you around blindly and do whatever you want to. They'll help you out unconditionally, and as the song "Ai No Uta" says "won't ask you to love us". And when they die from the many hazards, you hear the sound of the number of pikmin dropping, and then that little outcry as their ghost floats away.

Their valuable and charming units that you get endeared to, and to lose them makes me feel kinda bad.
yeah, thats why i never beat pikmin 2. i just couldn't bring myself to put them in harm's way for my profit after i found all 5 types and basically all of the surface treasure.

as for starcraft. sometimes for gits and shiggles, i just spam marines and throw them into a meat grinder for the hell of it. no guilt at all (only in single player)

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
In a game like FFT or Ogre Tactics or any other turn based strategy RPG yeah because you only have a handful of guys and they all have special abilities and upgrades but in a Real time RPG then no.

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
Not unless the game lets me name my units. Once the unit has a name, I get a little *twitch twitch Grrrr* when something kills them.